PDA

View Full Version : Travel trips for long hairs

Neoma
March 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I don't travel much. I will be traveling for several days soon and, of course, I am worried about my hair.

Specifically, I am worried about how I can possibly carry enough conditioner to carry me through my alternating CO and CWC routines. I cleanse my hair daily.

The TSA guidelines as I understand them are:

3-ounce containers or smaller of liquids, gels, creams, pastes & aerosols
All liquids, gels, creams, pastes & aerosols carried onto a plane by passengers must
be in containers that are 3-ounces or smaller in size.
1 quart-size, clear plastic, zip-top bag holding all 3-ounce or smaller containers
All 3-ounce containers of liquid, gel, cream or paste must fit into a single quart-size,
clear plastic, zip-top bag, which limits the amount each passenger can bring.
1 bag per traveler allowed to be carried onto the airplane
Each passenger can carry only one quart-size bag on to the plane. The bag will be
placed in a security bin for easier x-ray screening at security checkpoints.

How do other long-hairs cope with this?

I'm not concerned about shampoo; I use very little, and three ounces will be plenty. Or I can carry a solid shampoo bar from LUSH. (Not a lye shampoo bar, which leave my hair with iffy results.)

Also, hair sticks. I am not too worried about the ones that I will have in my hair when I board the plan, but I will want to bring a few more pairs with me. Can I put them in my purse without them being confiscated as "weapons"? If I put them in my suitcase and check it, I'm afraid someone will steal them.

Thoughts?

Kherome
March 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I don't travel much. I will be traveling for several days soon and, of course, I am worried about my hair.

Specifically, I am worried about how I can possibly carry enough conditioner to carry me through my alternating CO and CWC routines. I cleanse my hair daily.

I'm not concerned about shampoo; I use very little, and three ounces will be plenty. Or I can carry a solid shampoo bar from LUSH. (Not a lye shampoo bar, which leave my hair with iffy results.)

Also, hair sticks. I am not too worried about the ones that I will have in my hair when I board the plan, but I will want to bring a few more pairs with me. Can I put them in my purse without them being confiscated as "weapons"? If I put them in my suitcase and check it, I'm afraid someone will steal them.

Thoughts?

Buy conditioner when you get where you're going, yes you can carry your hair sticks in your purse as long as they aren't "hair swords" or anything like that. Also, probably very safe to pack them in checked luggage, they are only valuable to a person like us, here on LHC. Most see them as sticks of wood they could care less about.

Be prepared to be viewed naked by random strangers at the airport:rolleyes: It makes us "safer"

DTsgirl
March 24th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Honestly, I just buy what I need when I get to my destination and toss what I don't use when the trip is over. To me, the expense is well worth the avoided hassel. And as far as people stealing your sticks, really, I would not be too concerned. And, if it does worry you, document everything in your suitcase so you can file a claim for the missing value with the airline, if something does occur. Much less worry than having them confiscated at security, if you have them in your carry on.

islandboo
March 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
You can carry plenty of conditioner and such in checked luggage - the restrictions you list are for carryon only.

Iʻve been reading up on the hairstick thing for my upcoming trip and unfortunately, it seems like you are at the mercy of the individual TSA agents. The odds are that your toys would not be confiscated, but there is no guarantee. The recommendation is to not bring anything you would be devastated to lose. If you have adequate time at the airports, you can carry a self-addressed and stamped bubble mailer and leave the line to mail your toys to your home rather than give them up, but I donʻt know that all airports have mailing facilities (most do).

Neoma
March 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you all for your speedy replies! :flowers:

I am going to Vegas (the strip) and we won't have a car. I guess there will be some sort of drugstore there. :shrug: If so, I will gladly buy conditioner there. And I can always try to get the hotel to give me more of those little bottles of conditioner.

As to my hair sticks, islandboo's assessment is accurate. One TSA agent may let them through and another may not. The advice to not bring anything I'd be devastated to loose is excellent, though very sad. I really want to look super cute every day that I'm there. :D

frizzinator
March 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Wear something that doesn't look like it could be used as a weapon.

Roseate
March 25th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Can I put them in my purse without them being confiscated as "weapons"? If I put them in my suitcase and check it, I'm afraid someone will steal them.

Wooden hairsticks will be 100% fine in your carry on; metal I would check.

I'm a frequent traveller, and there are a few places around the world where you need to be worried about customs/airport staff stealing things out of your luggage. The US isn't one of them.

Don't carry anything irreplaceable, because luggage loss happens, but even then I've had good luck getting the airline to pay full price for replacing contents.

Have fun!

Purdy Bear
March 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM
How about this - take a self addressed jiffy bag with you, if your not allowed to take your sticks with you, pop them in your bag and post them back to yourself.

Or

Buy something when your there, or buy something really naff just for the journey. Never take anything you value on a trip just incase it goes missing or stolen.

When I had hair, I used to do a single braid down my back, or it would go over my shoulder with a band on the back, if I wanted something fancy I would just add some ribbon.

PS Torrin Paige does an updo she recommends for travelling in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/78/KqbAdvL8kME

Yambucket
March 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I was nervous about not being able to find my conditioner on a trip to NY recently (we were going to a campground and NO car) so I filled 3 of the little bottles with my regular conditioner :) I always do braids when traveling so I can't help with the sticks :( You could always call the airlines and they always answer any questions I had.. (all 18 million of them :))

Jules diamond
March 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you all for your speedy replies! :flowers:

I am going to Vegas (the strip) and we won't have a car. I guess there will be some sort of drugstore there. :shrug: If so, I will gladly buy conditioner there. And I can always try to get the hotel to give me more of those little bottles of conditioner.

As to my hair sticks, islandboo's assessment is accurate. One TSA agent may let them through and another may not. The advice to not bring anything I'd be devastated to loose is excellent, though very sad. I really want to look super cute every day that I'm there. :D

Native here. I don't go down to the strip much, but there's a CVS on it towards the northern end. :3 You should have no problem getting whatever you need there.

spidermom
March 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Be sure to put conditioner, shampoo, etc, into a Ziplock bag. The changes in air pressure can make them expand and leak.

BrightEyes7
March 25th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I would suggest putting the hairsticks in your checked luggage. As with any checked luggage you run the risk of it being lost, but they are pretty good about getting your luggage back eventually. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You need your hair pretties!

As far as the conditioner, just buy it there. I know of at least a few drugstores on or near the strip. You won't have a problem getting there. And you can play some slots while your getting your conditioner. That's the thing about Vegas that makes me laugh the most, there are slot machines EVERYWHERE. Grocery/Drug stores, gas stations, restaraunts, etc. My family is from Vegas (Like actually born and live there, amazing I know.) so I visit quite often.

SlightlySoprano
March 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I agree with putting your pretty hair sticks/toys in your checked luggage. The chance of them being stolen is realllllly slim because most people would just :confused::confused::confused: at them hahaha!

Also, definitely go to a nearby pharmacy and just buy cheapo conditioner for your trip. I've seen the Vo5 conditioners at CVS for around 88 cents!

Neoma
March 27th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I'm tempted to answer each of you individually, but there are so many of you! Thank you all!!!!! I am so appreciative of all of the wonderful advice that you gave me. :flowers:

I am most relieved by the knowledge that there is a CVS on the North end of the Strip. Hehe... Maybe I can convince my friend to take a walk with me to "see the sights." Then I can feign surprise. "Oh, look! A CVS! I need something. I'll be right out." :silly:

Lollipop
March 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Thoughts?

Well, the whole "3 oz" guidelines refer to carry on luggage. You can still put a whole bottle of CO in your suitcase. Are you only bringing a carry on?

I'm amtravellingto France for 10 days, and I am terrified of the water there. I have heard some curlies get different results based on how hard the water is, so Iam debatingwhether it is worth wearing my hair down....

Sorry, but I think it is totally legal to bring CO in your suitcase. And as far as hairsticks are concrened I don't think that it should be an issue, especially if you have a pair in your hair (or do a demo?). Good luck!

Anje
March 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Just an addendum to the "you can put a whole bottle of conditioner in your checked luggage" thing: Make sure you put that bottle of conditioner in a ziplock bag. Not because you need it for them to check it out, but because if the pressure changes cause the bottle to leak, you don't want all your things soaked in conditioner.

Sundial
March 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hey! I just got back from a vacation in the same place and I have left you a message on where to find conditioners - CVS, Walgreens, Sephora, ABC store (some 24hr convenience store) :p

I wasn't sure which type of conditioners you happen to use so I'm trying to cover all bases. As for hair toys, I went with a wood hair fork mostly because I was worried that metal hair toys may set the alarm off. Only one officer felt around my bun :rolleyes: I haven't encountered anyone asking me to take it down

ETA: off tangent here, but I just wanted to share something funny. I had TSA open my luggage twice. Once when it was empty, another time when it was filled with nothing but bottles of conditioners. That TSA officer must be wondering wth would someone pay $75 (or $25, I can't remember now) to check in an empty luggage and that other time with liquid filled bottles must have screamed "terr*rist alert" or something until they saw that it was just conditioners.

MeganE
March 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM
What about wearing them all? Might be a horrible idea, but then again... it might work.

Lollipop
March 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
What about wearing them all? Might be a horrible idea, but then again... it might work.

That would look AWESOME!! :cheese:

Neoma
March 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Well, the whole "3 oz" guidelines refer to carry on luggage. You can still put a whole bottle of CO in your suitcase. Are you only bringing a carry on?

I'm amtravellingto France for 10 days, and I am terrified of the water there. I have heard some curlies get different results based on how hard the water is, so Iam debatingwhether it is worth wearing my hair down....

Sorry, but I think it is totally legal to bring CO in your suitcase. And as far as hairsticks are concrened I don't think that it should be an issue, especially if you have a pair in your hair (or do a demo?). Good luck!Thank you, Lollipop. I didn't realize that I could bring a full-sized bottle in a checked bag. Maybe I'll just do that. I will probably wear my hair in hair sticks. After reading everyone's suggestions, I'll probably pack some of my hair sticks in my checked bag. I won't bring anything that I couldn't bear to lose.

Just an addendum to the "you can put a whole bottle of conditioner in your checked luggage" thing: Make sure you put that bottle of conditioner in a ziplock bag. Not because you need it for them to check it out, but because if the pressure changes cause the bottle to leak, you don't want all your things soaked in conditioner.Great advice, Anje. I heard that before, but of course I had forgotten. No, I don't want to CO my clothes on the way to Vegas!

Hey! I just got back from a vacation in the same place and I have left you a message on where to find conditioners - CVS, Walgreens, Sephora, ABC store (some 24hr convenience store) :p

I wasn't sure which type of conditioners you happen to use so I'm trying to cover all bases. As for hair toys, I went with a wood hair fork mostly because I was worried that metal hair toys may set the alarm off. Only one officer felt around my bun :rolleyes: I haven't encountered anyone asking me to take it down

ETA: off tangent here, but I just wanted to share something funny. I had TSA open my luggage twice. Once when it was empty, another time when it was filled with nothing but bottles of conditioners. That TSA officer must be wondering wth would someone pay $75 (or $25, I can't remember now) to check in an empty luggage and that other time with liquid filled bottles must have screamed "terr*rist alert" or something until they saw that it was just conditioners.
Sundial, you're a doll! Thank you for your messages and for this post. :flowers:

Oh, that's funny about the TSA searches!