PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oil Effectiveness Poll 4

Nightshade
June 13th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I wanted to do a series of polls on some of the most common methods of hair care that have or have not worked for LHC. I think this may be both interesting and a good quick reference. Granted it does not take into account hair type, but that would require a separate poll for each, and that’s a bit more effort both to post and to sift through the information.

We will define “long-term” as a period of 6 months or more of continuously using the method you select to be able to vote for a good result. Please feel free to give the details of your methods, or the ones that worked versus failed in the thread.

:flowers: PLEASE only vote that something worked for you if you've used it for MORE than 6 months and DO NOT VOTE for methods you have not tried. If something has worked for less time, please comment about it in the thread, but do not vote :)

If you do not see your hair oil in this thread, please be sure that you've checked each oil Poll
Oil Poll 1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6810)
Oil Poll 2 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6811)
Oil Poll 3 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6812)
Oil Poll 4 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6815)
Oil Poll 5 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6816)

mira-chan
June 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM
EO oil mix I make works wonderfully. It uses Sesame oil as a base.

Mix: Brahmi and amla in sesame base
EOs: Jatamansi, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Bay Laurel, Texas Cedarwood, Lavander.

lulabelle
June 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM
SS oil has been lovely for my scalp, I massage a few drops in after a wash and it smells good and seems to have positive results with shedding and just keeping my scalp happy. Olive oil was too heavy for me.

missy60
June 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I really like this oil and would use it exclusively but I have a little trouble sometimes getting it out. Its a hit or miss when I use it whether I will end up with greasy hair or not. It always helps my hair feel more moisturized even though I know oil is not suppose to moisturize.

I purchased SS oil but I havent really used it to much. I didnt dislike it but I dont usually oil my scalp much because I think the oil will remove the color on my roots. I do use Emu oil on my scalp up under my hair at the neck. I sometimes get an allergic reaction there only

Nightshade
June 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I've used SS oil in the past with good results, and then made my own hair oil which is:

Cold–pressed unrefined sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, shea nut oil, nettle-infused oil, sea buckthorn oil, and the essential oils of bay, birch, cedarwood, german chamomile, lavender, red thyme, rosemary, sage, tea tree, and ylang-ylang.

I've used EVOO to pull out henna, but other than that, it's far to heavy to use on my hair, making it prone to being lank and flat.

Carolyn
June 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I've been using EVOO for several years. I sometimes use it on the ends and sometimes for overnight heavy oilings. It soaks in well. It's also inexpensive and readily available. Can't ask for more :) I've also made oil mixes with it. I don't really keep track of what oils and what proportions I use. I start with EVOO and add what I have on hand. That also seems to work very well. I'm a braid tassel oiler a lot of the time.

Gladtobemom
June 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Moonchaser's Sweet Success has done wonders for my Husband's scalp. It used to be gunky and his hair was wavy but sort of flat against his scalp.

Now his scalp isn't gunky. His hair is fluffier. He says his scalp feels so much better. And he says his hair is thicker.

---------
I like Moonchaser's Coconut Version.
After using it for a couple of months I had loads of new hair all over my head. It also makes my scalp feel really good.

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
EVOO was the first oil I used on my hair and I'll still use it sometimes as an overnight treatment if my hair is very dry. But it's not what I use most commonly anymore as my hair is now in better condition than it was 7 months ago.

Isilya
June 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
EVOO still works as a leave in, but since I use shea butter now, I only use it heavy pre-wash oilings and in other deep treatments. It leaves my hair shiny, soft and smooth.

OK, off to vote for shea in poll 5 :)

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I like using EVOO as a heavy oil treatment before COs a few times a week. I've been using it now for about a year, and I've noticed great success insofar as my hair is softer, and more tangle free than it was before. I use a drop or two of jojoba oil on my dry hair for daily use.

peachy.pudding
June 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Nothing my hair loves more in this world aside from shampoo is evoo, you just cant beat it!!

vidgrl007
June 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I blend doo grow and cocanut oil together.I also have been known to add grapseed and evoo.

akka naeda
June 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I use my own oil mix, really it's more of a butter because it contains shea and coconut and is usually solid at room temperature. I use it for everything.

Eden Iris
June 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I use EVOO about once a week for a light oiling (alternate with oconut).. When I lived in New York and the combination of cold weather and overheated buildings was killing my hair, I used it as a heavy prewash treatment. (I thought I'd invented the technique.)

Slightly OT: I haven't used meadowfoam on my hair, but it is the best facial moisturizer I've ever used.

yogachic
June 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I like Evoo for deep oiling treatments. The only other oils I have tried, are coconut oil & jojoba oil.

Aisha25
June 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evoo worked for me I use it at times in mix with coconut oil.

Fillette
June 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
A little bit of EVOO mixed with my suave conditioner makes for an awesome leave-in!!! I apply it primarily to the ends and then gently rub whatever is left on my hands on rest of my hair.

physicschick
June 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I apply a pea sized amount of my own oil blend to wet hair post-wash. It's a mixture of 50% cocoa butter and 50% oils (jojoba oil and nut oils). It usually absorbs into the hair unless I apply too much.

harley mama
June 20th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I use a blend much like SSO. My hair loves it.
I have been using it for about 1 1/2 years now.

Velouria
August 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
EVOO is definitely my favorite hair oil. My hair is very dry and frizzy, and this oil tames, softens, and shines it better than any others I've tried. I use it almost daily..post-wash, pre-wash, etc.

I also voted for palm in this poll even though I've never tried the standard palm oil; babassu is a type of palm (coconut is also, I believe), and its oil works well for me on the rare occasions that I need something lighter than olive oil. It's not listed in any of the polls.

Arctic
August 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
I voted that olive oil (EVOO) worked for me.

It doesn't give me skin troubles, and leaves my hair feel moisturized. I can't use it for deepoilings because it's hard to wash out. But used on wet hair after wash it's excellent.

Nightshade, I wonder if anyone would use any oil they feel it's not working for them for more than six months, more like six weeks would be my guess. This might give some distortion to the "X oil didn't work" results? Propably you already have thought about that though :flower:

Nightshade
August 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
I voted that olive oil (EVOO) worked for me.

It doesn't give me skin troubles, and leaves my hair feel moisturized. I can't use it for deepoilings because it's hard to wash out. But used on wet hair after wash it's excellent.

Nightshade, I wonder if anyone would use any oil they feel it's not working for them for more than six months, more like six weeks would be my guess. This might give some distortion to the "X oil didn't work" results? Propably you already have thought about that though :flower:

In the main index post of these polls I do mention that for the things that didn't work you can vote "no" right away. :) It's only for the things that DO work that you have to have work for 6 months before you can vote for them :flowers:

Arctic
August 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Oh, Okey :) I misread it then, sorry :flower:

Darkhorse1
September 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Regular Olive Oil worked best for me--not sure what evoo means? Extra virgin???

Fireweed
September 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Olive oil works the best on my hair too. I seem to go back to it, time amd time again.

neon-dream
November 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
I'm addicted to olive oil, it's so nice on my hair :)
xxx

dalriada-lady
January 3rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
Tried EVOO, worked for a few weeks but then stopped working. left my hair way too greasy and limp no matter how much i used. the other oils i have not tried.

Silverlox
March 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I voted that an oil blend worked for me and that an oil blend didn't work for me. :p

The one that worked was Triple Moon Anointing Oil, which my hair just loves! :D

The one that unfortunately didn't work was SS oil. It seemed fine the first time I used it, but turned out to be very incompatible with my scalp skin, giving me a red, sore and itchy scalp. :(

Laylah
July 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
EVOO is one of my favorites! I have very thick hair so it doesn't weigh it down.

Flynn
July 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Less than six months. Walnut oil works beautifully for me, but does not appear to be included in any of the polls.

RoseRedDead
November 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
EVOO worked for me! I use it for light and deep (heavy) oilings. In fact, I have a bunch of it slathered in my hair as we speak.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
EVOO worked for me. Can't say I tried any others in this poll though..

aberbeth
March 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Olive oil works well for me. I tried coconut oil once but didn't like it as much. I might need to try coconut oil again and see if it works better this time.

CarpeDM
January 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Olive oil has been the only oil that has worked consistently...

einna
January 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM
EVVO has worked well for me since I first tried it about a year ago. I use it often.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I like using EVOO. I find that it absorbs into my hair well and leaves my hair feeling very soft. I have no problems getting the oil out when washing or with buildup. I also use it a lot for cooking so I don't have to spend extra money since its already in my kitchen.

TatsuOni
August 28th, 2017, 08:18 AM
EVOO worked for me and was the first oil I tried in my hair. Though I've found others that I like more now.

lapushka
August 28th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Wow this poll is old, I don't even stand behind what I voted for anymore. Time can surely change things!

egcmi
May 9th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I tried extra virgin olive oil once or twice and it didn't work for my hair. I feel it's too sticky and hard to get out, plus I'm not fond of the smell when it's on my hair (delicious in food though :pinktongue:). Since I've discovered coconut oil I haven't used any other oils.

Glitch
May 9th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I tried extra virgin olive oil once or twice and it didn't work for my hair. I feel it's too sticky and hard to get out, plus I'm not fond of the smell when it's on my hair (delicious in food though :pinktongue:). Since I've discovered coconut oil I haven't used any other oils.

Olive oil always made me shed like crazy :( I thought I just had weak hair back then - as thought my mom - but no, big handfuls (like massive chunks) would fall out during and immediately after application, and never at any other time. Luckily, I didn't oil often so I didn't lose all of it. :p

egcmi
May 10th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Olive oil always made me shed like crazy :( I thought I just had weak hair back then - as thought my mom - but no, big handfuls (like massive chunks) would fall out during and immediately after application, and never at any other time. Luckily, I didn't oil often so I didn't lose all of it. :p

must have been awful! :( could it be that your hair/scalp is sensitive to it? i remember when i tried it was so sticky and hard to remove, i had to vigorously scrub my hair while washing to get it out and shampoo several times. all the shampooing and scrubbing exerted excessive force and i also noticed extra hair fall during combing, though for me it was more breakage and not shedding. in comparison, coconut oil is so much easier to get out, i shampoo only once, maybe twice if i really feel that my scalp is still greasy.
btw did you find an oil you like better? or did you rule that out completely?

Glitch
May 10th, 2018, 04:03 PM
must have been awful! :( could it be that your hair/scalp is sensitive to it? i remember when i tried it was so sticky and hard to remove, i had to vigorously scrub my hair while washing to get it out and shampoo several times. all the shampooing and scrubbing exerted excessive force and i also noticed extra hair fall during combing, though for me it was more breakage and not shedding. in comparison, coconut oil is so much easier to get out, i shampoo only once, maybe twice if i really feel that my scalp is still greasy.
btw did you find an oil you like better? or did you rule that out completely?

It really was :( I'm just glad I finally figured it out, though! And yeah, it must be a personal sensitively because my mom's hair loves it. I also had to shampoo harshly a bunch of times to get it out and I agree, it basically led to more damage, defeating the purpose! And yes, coconut oil is way easier to gently remove :D

I've recently experimented with a bunch of different oils and some of them made my ends crispy and crunchy, even my length tangly (and I don't even have tangle-prone hair...) for many days. It looked terrible! I then decided to clarify, and not put on any oils. Left me with back to soft, silky and shiny hair :) I'm still surprised. I think I'll just use an almond and coconut oil combination once a month (love those!) and that will be enough. What a messy oil journey, lol.

Margrit
January 10th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Neem Seed Oil did work for me
My own Oil Blend work for me
Olive Oil work for me

Danglish
January 11th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Olive oil has become my new HG! It just leaves my hair in perfect shape. I was afraid of even trying it out, because my hair is fine and very susceptible to greasiness, but EVOO apparently just works for me.

An oil I can also recommend is jojoba oil, though in limited amounts. Unlike EVOO, jojoba doesn't penetrate the hair shaft, and should only be used to seal in the moisture that is already there. I found this out when I started using jojoba every day in increasingly bigger amounts, because my hair just didn't seem to take in the jojoba. It's like it can create some amount of slip, and then if used even more than that, it just creates waxy build-up instead. Then I looked it up online, and found out why(I've forgotten the science-y terms for it). I still use it, though, because it's a great protectant for already-moisturised ends

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 09:10 AM
I mix my own blends.