PDA

View Full Version : WEN hair care products (including lawsuit)

Pages : [1] 2 3

capelli lunghi
April 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I was up in the middle of the night last night and was flipping through channels.. I happened to stop on an infomercial :rolleyes: and it was about a "new" hair care system. It is called Wen Hair Care (http://www.wenhaircare.com/). It is so "new" and different because it is not a shampoo.. it is a cleansing conditioner.. lol.. like that is new.. lol.. Anyhow.. have any of you seen or heard about this product?..

Lixie
April 5th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, but it's developed by celebrity stylist Chaz Dean! How could you be so suspicious with a selling point like that? :lol:

Being in the UK, I haven't heard of it before. It looks pretty much like normal stuff though, nothing on the website made me want to swith from my 99p conditioner, or throw away my shampoo. Very nicely designed website and packaging though, I'll give them that.

ETA: The "Sweet Almond Cleansing Conditioner" contains at least one -cone for anyone interested in the ingredients.

AJoifulNoise
April 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I actually saw that over a month ago. I woke up way too early, so I flipped on the TV and that commercial was on.

I especially liked the part where the lady goes on about how damaging sulfates are. "Just think of how many times you've used shampoo on your hair... all the damage you've done!" You don't say...

capelli lunghi
April 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I thought it was fairly entertaining myself.. haha..

tuuli
April 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Some LHC spymethods. *sigh* :D
Maybe the great stylist rambled across the boards and invented a groundbreaking method on his very own. *sigh* :eyebrows:

Lixie
April 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Oh no, didn't you know? He went to his garden and picked herbs that he knew had cleansing properties, then went into his kitchen and picked fruits and vegetables that he knew were hydrating.. experimented then took his findings to a lab. It says so on the site, so it must be true. :wink:

Delila
April 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
This one's been around a while, and IIRC, someone from the company actually posted on LHC a few times, trying to get their point across.

It's basically an expensive CO type system.

It has fans, for sure, but CO's not for me, so I'm not intrigued. :)

Alaskanheart
April 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I think its crazy how expensive their Conditioners are. I wish people knew that you can wash hair with any light conditioner, and not just Wen. They act like theyre soooo special.Does anyone know where the idea of CO originated in the first place?

Riot Crrl
April 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I don't know if she really made it up, but in Curly Girl Lorraine Massey makes it sound like she invented it.

To her credit, she does tell people they can use cheap conditioner as long as it's cone-free, and her branded No-Poo is not exalted as a mandatory purchase.

2BThinAgain
April 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I saw it on QVC the other morning when I couldnt sleep. Was wondering about it and decided to forget spending so much money on my hair products.

Druid of Alba
April 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Meh, too many chemicals for me. I'll stick with Shikakai and Amla!

missy60
April 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I seen that last night also and I couldnt believe it was 29.99 a month. I guess that means your signing up for auto delivery to get it regularly or something.

GettingThere
April 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I just saw this on an infomercial and thought I'd look it up online. It looks like there are some pretty good ingredients and seems almost to be a CO type wash. The instructions even recommend using the same product as a leave in. However, it is a little pricier than what I normally use. Has anyone used this? I tried to seach but couldn't find anything on the board!

Here is the website with ingredient lists and instructions....
http://www.chazdeanstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

Thanks in advance!

Anje
April 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Wow... a LOT more expensive than the stuff I use. Might be very nice, but it looks like they all have either amodimethicone or trimethylsilylamodimethicone, both of which are non-soluble 'cones. So expect to have to shampoo with some regularity to get the buildup off.

missy60
April 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
On the old board this product came up some, and from what I remember people really liked it. Most thought it was to expensive though and found they got the same results using a cheapy conditioner to CO with.

manderly
April 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
On the old board this product came up some, and from what I remember people really liked it. Most thought it was to expensive though and found they got the same results using a cheapy conditioner to CO with.

That's what I recall too. Those who tried it loved it, but found that regular CO with cheapie stuff was about on par.

I think of Wen as the "CO for women who can't get over the idea of not washing their hair". It eases them into that mindset.

In reality, they are COing with some pricey stuff.

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think WEN is selling a big load of BS.LOL. They very well know you can wash hair with any light Conditioner, but pretend there product is something special. I admit some of the flavors sound yummy though, and it is probably mentally easier on those who cant get over not washing hair till its squeaky.Plus not everyone has had access to our LHC.Poor poor them.I might buy some as a comparative experience some day.

Lixie
April 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I think of Wen as the "CO for women who can't get over the idea of not washing their hair". It eases them into that mindset.

I must agree. A lot women have been conditioned (pun unintentional) by the media into thinking they need shampoo. WEN probably isn't anything special, most likely they just want to fill a gap in the market.

GettingThere
April 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the quick replies...I suspected pretty much what you guys have said. I *used to* CO with an occasional shampoo to remove buildup and have been thinking seriously about going back to it. My hair was much less "frizzy" and much softer when I did CO. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that is basically the same as a cheaper light conditioner.

I admit some of the flavors sound yummy though
I do agree, but I was pretty happy with the MUCH cheaper VO5 and Suave flavors in the past. Maybe I'll ask for a bottle of WEN as a gift for my BDay or Christmas and then I can try it for myself!

Riot Crrl
April 18th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Agreed, it is $30 cone conditioner.

happylynngilmer
April 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I was really interested in this stuff until I consulted MUA. Then I decided since it's about 50/50 chance of liking it, I'll keep using what I'm using cause I *know* I like it and it's cheap.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/searching.asp?CategoryID=0&brand=0&title=wen

http://www.makeupalley.com/board/results.asp?bid=8&query=Wen&SearchingFor=1

Future CCC-SLP
May 1st, 2008, 06:00 AM
Has anyone tried the wen healthy hair system? I saw it on TV this morning and i'm intrigued. I was curious of what yall thought.

Delila
May 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
It comes up from time to time, the trouble is that the name is only three letters long, which is too short for the search function.

It's basically a CO system, that's kind of pricy. Some people really seem to like the scents, and get along with the system despite the price, others don't think it's all that.

Editing to add a link to an earlier thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2492&highlight=chaz+dean)

Ursula
May 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
It's a CO system. A very small number of people here have found that it works for their CO washes when more easily available and affordable conditioners don't. But the vast majority of CO washers get good results with inexpensive grocery store conditioners.

If you want to try CO, I suggest you try with the wide variety of inexpensive conditioners that people use around here. You might try this if none of the affordable conditioners work for you - if cheap ones work, why bother with an expensive one?

Also, this conditioner does have silicones.

RAS3CAL
May 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I just saw this on an infomercial and thought I'd look it up online. It looks like there are some pretty good ingredients and seems almost to be a CO type wash. The instructions even recommend using the same product as a leave in. However, it is a little pricier than what I normally use. Has anyone used this? I tried to seach but couldn't find anything on the board!

Here is the website with ingredient lists and instructions....
http://www.chazdeanstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I currently use WEN, and I do love it. It is, way too pricey, though! I was hoping maybe someone could recommend another alternative product that may work just as well. I read some saying that they wash with only a CO, does that mean conditioner only??? Please advise, I just cancelled my WEN.

Islandgrrl
May 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Wow that's some expensive stuff!

Riot Crrl
May 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
If there is Whole Foods where you live, I can never sing the praises highly enough of their store brand conditioner, 365 Everyday Value. If not, a lot of people use Suave Naturals, Vo5, or White Rain. I have used Suave Naturals, it is OK but I don't like it as much as the 365.

Ursula
May 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hi,
I currently use WEN, and I do love it. It is, way too pricey, though! I was hoping maybe someone could recommend another alternative product that may work just as well. I read some saying that they wash with only a CO, does that mean conditioner only??? Please advise, I just cancelled my WEN.

Yes, "CO Wash" means "conditioner only."

Wen is sold to be a "CO" conditioner.

But, most people who CO wash here don't use Wen, or any conditioner sold as a specialty "washing conditioner." Quite the opposite. Most CO washers here use inexpensive grocery store conditioners, such as the least expensive options in the Suave and VO5 lines.

Simply because of the price, I would not reccomend WEN as a "starting" conditioner if you want to try CO washing. Instead, take your time and read around here, and see which conditioners other people use for CO that are available in your area. You can try quite a few popular CO conditioners for the price of one bottle of WEN.

I know a couple of people here use WEN - they tried CO with other conditioners first, and mostly liked it, but had some issues that were enough that they decided to try the expensive stuff, and they liked it. Other people tried WEN and found it wasn't worth the money.

For me, almost any of the Suave "Naturals" line works fine. (Waterfall Mist, Tropical Coconut, Citrus Smoothie, etc.) I see no reason to experiment with stuff that costs 10 times as much or more than what I already use with perfect happiness.

TessieAnn
May 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
My DIL bought a Wen package and gave me one of the bottles. Her hair is very curly while mine is 1aFi. She finds it helps her frizzies and makes her hair very soft. I don't know what she will think long term. She has not tried cheapo CO.

The directions say to use up to 20 pumps of product but she and I both find that 3 or 4 pumps is plenty, which is actually quite a small amount. Longer thicker hair would require more, I'm sure.

The cheapo CO directions here seem to call for big handfuls of condish on the hair, sometimes kept on for longer than the length of a shower. Some use two different types of conditioner.

So initial expense of whichever product may not be the same as cost per use.

My hair is too fine and oily for CO all the time no matter what the product. Wen fits nicely into my rotation of light shampoos and conditioners. A few have some light cones, most do not.

I think there's some truth in Wen serving as a transition product for women who have hair that has been damaged by intensive processing.

FWIW

Ursula
May 20th, 2008, 05:42 PM
It is also worth noting that there are two distinct styles of CO wash.

"Curly Girl" CO washing is the method described in the "Curly Girl" book. This method involves using a small amount of conditioner, applied and rinsed out quickly. This is also the method reccomended with the WEN products. The goal is a non-drying wash for curly hair, that provides a light conditioning.

"LHC CO" is a method that was either developed or made popular here. It involves large amounts of conditioner, which is soaked for a long time, often with a heat cap. The goal is a deep moisturizing treatment, for long hair of all types. It cleanses along with the treatment, making shampoo unnecessary.

The "Curly Girl" book reccomends light, cheap conditioners for it's method, and LHCers have found light, cheap conditioners to work well in the alternate method, as well.

A product like WEN might be good, for some people, in the Curly Girl CO wash - but it would be prohibitively expensvie for a LHC-style CO wash.

Mrs_Zombie
May 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I saw an infomercial yesterday about this product called Wen hair care (http://wenhaircare.com (http://wenhaircare.com/)). They are advertising something that we here at TLHC have known for a bit, CO, and use products that are as natural as possible.

Has anyone else seen this? And has anyone else USED this?

If so, what do you think? I was actually considering getting it once i have some money, but it has alcohol in the ingredients.

Is alcohol really that bad?

happylynngilmer
May 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM
There are lots of kinds of alcohols-cetyl alcohol is an emollient and emulsifier that has thickening properties and is therefore used in conditioners frequently; not to be confused with drying, ethyl alcohol. It's ethyl alcohols you want to avoid.

WEN gets bad reviews on makeupalley.com, so I've never ventured to take the plunge. Some CO'ers swear by it, though.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/searching.asp?CategoryID=0&brand=0&title=wen+chaz+dean

Ursula
May 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Mrs. Zombie,

If you're considering trying Wen, I'd start by asking two questions:

1. Have you tried CO washing at all?

If you haven't tried CO at all, I'd suggest you try with an inexpensive conditioner that has proven popular with a variety of people here. Look specifically if they are doing a quick CO, or a long soak CO, and pick conditioners which are popular with people who do the type of CO wash you are interested in trying. It makes little sense to do your initial CO experiment with a very expensive product, or one that has little track record here.

2. If you have tried CO washing, how happy are you with it, and with the products you have tried?

If you've done CO with several products, and mostly like it, but have a few minor issues, it may be worth adding this to your experiment routine, to see how it works, and then to consider if you want to stay with it (if you can afford it) or to use that information, along with what you know about other CO conditioners, to consider which CO ingredients work for you.

If you're extremely happy with your current CO routine, it may be fun to try, but I wouldn't feel as if it is something one must try.

If you've really disliked CO, but want to give it one last try with a purpose-designed product, it may be worth trying as a last ditch effort. But I wouldn't look to it as a miracle product that is certain to work for everyone - products just don't work that way.

And, as with any experiment, whatever the circumstances in which you try this (or any product) don't be disappointed if it doesn't work, just go back to your last good baseline, and then on to a different experiment.

Also, as with any experiment, give it a try for long enough (barring complete disaster right away) so you can tell if it is a "good once in a while" product, or a product good for routine use on your particular head of hair.

A few people here have tried Wen, and like it, although I can't remember offhand who. I remember one person for whom this worked when other CO conditioners didn't, but, again, I can't remember specifically who.

Riot Crrl
May 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Some of the flavors of it seem to have silicones too, I don't see how they are supposed to not build up with only using that to cleanse.

Mrs_Zombie
May 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well, i have COed and i do like it. It works well for my hair, leaves it nice and soft and well moisturized. That's why i'd like to try this product, but while it seemed like it has nice ingredients, i was still a little skeptical.

I might still try this, just to see if it really does work as well as they say!! Although, i won't do it for a while, its a little too expensive for me at the moment.

OhioLisa
May 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I would say don't waste your money. A lot of the ingredients are the same as other condishes. A fellow member and I tried it at the same time about a year or so ago and we were both completely unimpressed by it. Considering how much of it you have to use each "wash", the cost is outrageous as well. Buy some pretty hair toys instead. :silly:

Mrs_Zombie
May 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
LOL, thanks OhioLisa!! My hair isn't long enough yet for hair toys, but i definitely want a ficcare!! Its on my must get list!

OhioLisa
May 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
See, now you're thinkin like a long hair. ;)

Aize
June 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry If this is an old topic. I searched but I didn't find anything about it. I was up early one morning watching TV and I ran across an infomercial for Wen cleansing conditioner. I don't like buying products from infomercials, but this sounded interesting. Has a used this stuff and how did it work?

paradoxx
June 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM
There were several discussions about Wen on the old (now archived) LHC. It would take some digging, but there is tons of information there... In case you don't get much info, I would give it a try. There is also this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6562

FlipHunny
June 25th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Not sure if this has already been posted, but I've tried searching and couldn't find anything on it :rolleyes:

Basically, the slogan for their products is to quit using shampoo. Their products both cleanses and conditions the hair. Kinda like how some of us here CO. When I saw the commercial it immediately reminded me of all the CO threads I read here :p

Has anyone else seen the infomercials on TV for this stuff?
Here's the site: http://www.wenhaircare.com

Here's the infomercial: http://shoptvcanada.com/mclient/590/wen/

Here's the instructions:
http://www.curlmart.com/Wen-Tea-Tree-Cleansing-Conditioner-p-598.html

Ingredients for the Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing conditioner:
Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Betientrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Sweet Almond Mint Oil, Peppermint Oil, Citric Acid, Methylchlorisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

Just wondering what all your thoughts are about this product. I forgot the site I was on before, but people who left reviews for this product seemed really happy. But it wasn't a haircare site... more like a consumer review site.

There was one person who posted a review and said something like "I can get the same results using my Suave conditioner at a fraction of the price!" lol. I love my suave too. I wonder if she's a member here? lol.

But I really do wonder if this is any better than regular CO'ing and oiling? Maybe I could try to just add almond oil, rosemary, and mint to my Suave conditioner as a cheap alternative?

I'd like to hear what all you hair experts have to say :p

Riot Crrl
June 25th, 2008, 02:08 AM
LOL, it wasn't me with the Suave thing unless you read it here or on nc.com. But it could have been!

It is hard to search the forum for this because the search engine has a minimum of four characters. Wen is three. It does come up pretty regularly though.

As you have already figured out, it's simply expensive conditioner. Some people think it's great and smells heavenly and is wonderful, and if you have the cash that's great and you may discover the same thing. But if you want to wash your hair with conditioner, it's not necessary to spend $30. $1 works fine.

EllisGurl
June 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I tried this product a few years ago and, for me, it made my hair frizzy and dry looking. It was at a time when my hair was "recovering" from major damage and needed all the help it could get. I got much better results from just COing.

However, I know some people swear by it.

Ursula
June 25th, 2008, 05:59 AM
There are a couple of people here for whom this worked when CO with ordinary conditioners didn't - but I can't remember offhand who it was, and it was from a thread from a few years ago.

I don't see any point in trying this, since CO with cheap stuff works fine for me.

It may be worth trying if CWC and other shampoo-using routines cause you problems and regular CO causes you problems, as a sort of last-ditch try for a commercial product.

It seems to be designed for a Curly-girl style CO wash - a small amount of conditioner, rubbed in and rinsed out quickly, rather than an LHC style CO with a long soak with lots of conditioner. If you do LHC style COs, the large amount of conditioner needed may make this even more expensive in actual use than the manufacturers realized - even though it's already a high-priced product when used as directed.

LaurelSpring
June 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I just saw this. Has anyone heard anything about it or tried it?

http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php?acnt=GHZZD000&s_kwcid=wen%20conditioner|1725480736

Ursula
June 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Check out this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7475

(mods, you may want to merge these?)

FlipHunny
June 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah I was reading so many testimonials from customers who absolutely loved this product, but since it wasn't a hair care site, I figured "Um... maybe they just never tried CO with regular cheap conditioners..." Because obviously they would rave about this thinking its the product, when really its just the CO that fixed their hair :)

It makes sense that this product is worth it for those who don't have success with CO using other conditioners. For example, I've tried many conditioners that others love for CO, but the only ones that work best for me are from the Suave naturals line, except the coconut for some reason. And I really wanted the V05 SKR to work on me when I tried it last year because I loved the smell... but it didn't happen :( Blah...

Anyhoo, I might experiment by adding aloe vera gel, chamomile, almond oil, rosemary, and mint EO's to my conditioner sometime soon and see if it makes any difference.

happylynngilmer
June 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
You can't search for 3 letter words, (I did the same thing searching this topic) so search "wen hair" or "wen cleansing" and a few threads will pop up. :}

ETA: spelling LOL

LaurelSpring
June 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the link. Im glad I asked. I think I will just stick to my VO5 CO.

Gladtobemom
June 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61198

Note: DH found a "deal" on Ebay and bought me a Gallon of the Tea Tree one and a Gallon of the Fig one.

So I am still using them. They are good products.

But honestly . . . the price is way high

shellblue1
June 26th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I am watching the infomercial right now. Is it my imagination or does this product foam? It kind of looks like it does in the part of the ad where the woman is in the shower rinsing it from her hair...?

Ursula
June 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Yeah I was reading so many testimonials from customers who absolutely loved this product, but since it wasn't a hair care site, I figured "Um... maybe they just never tried CO with regular cheap conditioners..." Because obviously they would rave about this thinking its the product, when really its just the CO that fixed their hair :)

It's the commercial website for the product. Therefore, all reviews or "testamonials" will be positive, because companies do not publish negative reviews of their own products.

In addition, testamonials are often based on biased sources, such as paid celebrity endorsements, or people who were given free samples to try, knowing they'd be asked about the product.

I consider it wisest to disregard testamonials on a company website - you can't know who wrote them, if that person was paid, or even if it is a real testamonial, versus something they made up.

It makes sense that this product is worth it for those who don't have success with CO using other conditioners. For example, I've tried many conditioners that others love for CO, but the only ones that work best for me are from the Suave naturals line, except the coconut for some reason. And I really wanted the V05 SKR to work on me when I tried it last year because I loved the smell... but it didn't happen :( Blah...

Anyhoo, I might experiment by adding aloe vera gel, chamomile, almond oil, rosemary, and mint EO's to my conditioner sometime soon and see if it makes any difference.

I don't know that it is necssarily "worth it." It may work, it may not. There is no particular reason to think it is more likely to work than others - some people have fussy hair for whom only a handful of CO conditioners work, and this may be one of those conditioners for some people, but it doesn't seem to be more likely to work.

It gets put at the end of the list of things to try simply because of its price - it makes more sense to start cheap and work your way up, settling on the least expensive product that works, than to start expensive and work your way down.

Gladtobemom
June 26th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I always start my CO on dry hair.

My norm is to start with VO5 KLS, I usually use something close to 1/4 cup, applied at the scalp and along the length. I usually massage a bit, wait a few minutes, then add some water. When I add water, it sort of gets creamier and slightly looser--like the water is being absorbed into the condish--but not foamy.

The Wen prodicts act IDENTICALLY to this.

The are sort of like the more cleansing of conditioners.

I did not have success with CO until I started with dry hair and the VO5 KLS works better than any condish i've tried as a first condish. The Wen ones do work for me also, my hair has nice "mobility" at the scalp and feels very clean.

But the price . . . OUCH!

FlipHunny
June 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
It's the commercial website for the product. Therefore, all reviews or "testamonials" will be positive, because companies do not publish negative reviews of their own products.

lol oops, I probably used the wrong word there :o I should have said consumer reviews or something? The testimonials I meant were from other sites like epinion.com or some other non-affiliated sites :)

Anne~
July 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Well, I went and did it. I purchased a bottle of WEN cleansing conditioner, lavender scent off of Amazon.com. (link (http://www.amazon.com/WEN-Lavender-Cleansing-Conditioner-16oz/dp/B000VBCE34)) Here is my review.

When I first got it I put some in my hair dry because I was not ready to wash. It made my hair very soft and shiny, less frizzy, it seemed to take the tangles out right away. The lavender scent is very strong but it dissipates after a few minutes.

When I went to wash my hair with it my hair was very dirty from being out side working in a dusty arena all day. It washed my hair beautifully! Nice and clean not stripped. I put a few drops in as a leave in conditioner and combed my hair out, it was so easy to comb through. The next morning when it was finally dry it was soft and I could finger comb through it easily. No tackyness what so ever.

I did not follow the instructions completely. I did not use as much as they want you to. (I imagine that is because they want you to use it up and buy more.) In the morning before I bun I put a couple drops of WEN in and then some of my jojoba oil. I only wash about once a week, sooner if it gets dirty.

So far so good. I really like the stuff.

It is a bit pricy ($28.00 + shipping) but I am only using 2 products on my hair now. The WEN and Jojoba oil. I used to use shampoo and contitioner (Pantene) then silicone hair serum to hold down the frizzies. Then the next day before I bun I used Jojoba oil and mousse to calm any stray curls.

I have only been using it for 2 weeks so I still have to see if I like it for the long term.

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Well, I went and did it. I purchased a bottle of WEN cleansing conditioner, lavender scent off of Amazon.com. (link (http://www.amazon.com/WEN-Lavender-Cleansing-Conditioner-16oz/dp/B000VBCE34)) Here is my review.

When I first got it I put some in my hair dry because I was not ready to wash. It made my hair very soft and shiny, less frizzy, it seemed to take the tangles out right away. The lavender scent is very strong but it dissipates after a few minutes.

When I went to wash my hair with it my hair was very dirty from being out side working in a dusty arena all day. It washed my hair beautifully! Nice and clean not stripped. I put a few drops in as a leave in conditioner and combed my hair out, it was so easy to comb through. The next morning when it was finally dry it was soft and I could finger comb through it easily. No tackyness what so ever.

I did not follow the instructions completely. I did not use as much as they want you to. (I imagine that is because they want you to use it up and buy more.) In the morning before I bun I put a couple drops of WEN in and then some of my jojoba oil. I only wash about once a week, sooner if it gets dirty.

So far so good. I really like the stuff.

It is a bit pricy ($28.00 + shipping) but I am only using 2 products on my hair now. The WEN and Jojoba oil. I used to use shampoo and contitioner (Pantene) then silicone hair serum to hold down the frizzies. Then the next day before I bun I used Jojoba oil and mousse to calm any stray curls.

I have only been using it for 2 weeks so I still have to see if I like it for the long term.

Oooooh. Those WEN cleansing conditioners look NICE!

Think I'm gonna buy some. Cucumber Aloe looks like it'll help my driving-me-insane itchy scalp. And the Sweet Almond Mint looks right for me, too.

nappywomyn
July 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Oh, no!!! Ya'll are falling in love with them too??!?!?! :lol:

I've heard very good things about these conditioners - so tempting!

lora410
July 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Sounds lovely!! Do they have cone free ones?

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Here's a good bargain for starters like myself...

http://www.wenhaircare.com

WEN Healthy Hair Care System 30-day supply for $29.95 + s/h :)

1 12-oz cleansing conditioner
1 2-oz styling creme
1 2-0z mostire intensive hair repair mask
1 10-gram texture balm
WEN wide-tooth shower comb

Not a bad deal, to start out. :cheese:

I'm sold on it; I just bought it.

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Sounds lovely!! Do they have cone free ones?

I didn't check... but here's the link again: http://www.wenhaircare.com/

That's the WEN webiste. :)

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I didn't check... but here's the link again: http://www.wenhaircare.com/

That's the WEN webiste. :)

See? I got so excited, I lost my ability to spell, or [proof]read. :o :eyebrows:

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I forgot to say this: They make very plain that they have a 60-day money-back guarantee!

Can't beat that...

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hey!

Guess what I was just informed of, after my order?

When you order the WENŽ system by Chaz Dean, you'll receive a FREE membership in the WENŽ Home Delivery Program. Every 90 days, you'll automatically receive a new supply of the WENŽ Healthy Hair Care System. You'll also lock in the low price of $29.95 a month (plus $7.95 s&h per shipment) for as long as you remain in the Home Delivery Program. There are no minimum orders, you can cancel any time by simply calling The Beauty Consultants at [phone number].....*

* As seen here on their site -- http://www.wenhaircare.com/home_delivery.php?pactvid=0386b0349f2d1ea372b61ff1 99bd0a0f

Anne~
July 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
[quote=StephanieB;180537]Hey!

Guess what I was just informed of, after my order?

When you order the WENŽ system by Chaz Dean, you'll receive a FREE membership in the WENŽ Home Delivery Program. Every 90 days, you'll automatically receive a new supply of the WENŽ Healthy Hair Care System. You'll also lock in the low price of $29.95 a month (plus $7.95 s&h per shipment) for as long as you remain in the Home Delivery Program. There are no minimum orders, you can cancel any time by simply calling The Beauty Consultants at

Hi StephanieB,

I was going to do this but I did not want the rest of the stuff that went with the order so I found it on Amazon.com and ordered the 16oz bottle. I also did not want to be wound into a monthly commitment but they say you can cancel any time. I had been watching their info- mercial and just wanted to try the cleansing conditioner. I wish they had samples so you could pick one you like best with out costing allot of money. :rolleyes:

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Okaaaaaaaay.

I just got off the telephone with WEN. Spoke with a lovely woman - Lora/Laura (sp?).

You can customize their HOme Delivery program quite a bit!

My order was changed for a better product for my fine/oily hair than the Almond Mint product on the website offer (as I posted above).

She cancelled my website order for me, and we re-ordered according to my hair taype (as I told her it was): Cucumber Aloe cleansing conditioner, styling creme, hair mask, texture balm, and comb. Same offer, 3-day suopply and 60-day money-back guarantee, same price ($34.95 inc s/h).

In about 30 days after I receive my product, I will receive a 90-day supply of either a 3- or 4-piece product package (my choice), and that will be divided into 3 payments over the 3 months.

If I want the 4-piece package - it's 2 bottles of cleansing conditioner, styling creme, hair mask; the 3-pice is the same but only one (1) bottle of the cleansing conditioner... My ahir is 21 inches, so she said I might only need 1 bottle, whereas longer or thicker hair might need 2 bottles to carry thru 90 days.

With my first 90-day order (plenty of time to figure out what my own usage seems to be, after this introductory product arrives and I start using it), I can also order other products - like the texturizer, etc.

It's completely customizable and changeable as my needs change. I only need phone them.

It was ponly a 2-minute wait... if that. (might've been less)

There's my 'report' of dealing with them. so far. :cheese:

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I was going to do this but I did not want the rest of the stuff that went with the order so I found it on Amazon.com and ordered the 16oz bottle. I also did not want to be wound into a monthly commitment but they say you can cancel any time. I had been watching their info- mercial and just wanted to try the cleansing conditioner. I wish they had samples so you could pick one you like best with out costing allot of money. :rolleyes:[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

I didn't ask about samples... but YOU can..... and should!!

Call their 800 phone number on the website...

I told her (Lora) that I was gonna tell people on this website about the customer care I receive... and their products. :grin:

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Call their 800 phone number on the website...

(800) 964-1892

Many buyers can mean better deals. ;)

If their product is good, does what they claim it does, perhaps we can provide enough buying clout to get better pricing, special pricing for LHC users.

okay... I'm getting ahead of myslef. lol

But I did like the extreme ease with which they helped me.

GOOD customer service means SO MUCH.

lora410
July 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Well aparently they only have one kind so I guess this would be cone stuff for the cone heads, and I am betting the 10% whols hair it didnt work on hated cones like mine :lol:

StephanieB
July 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
What do you mean by "only one kind"??

If you mean contains 'cones... maybe so. I didn't check, since I don't have any good reason to suspect trouble with 'cones (yet).

If you mean just the Sweet Almond Mint... No! I phoned and spoke to them, and got a customized product deal for myself, just by asking for it.

All I did was ask if I could sign up for the Hme Delivery AND use products other than the Almond Mint stuff... the woman, Lora, told me that I can have other products instead, and she asked me what kind of hair I had. I told her. She recommended the Cucumber Aloe for me. Told me that I might find the Almont Mint too heavy for my hair, since I have very oily, very fine hair that needs body/volume added.

Just trying to clarify, not argue. :)

Riot Crrl
July 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The last time I looked, some flavors of the cleansing conditioners had cones and some didn't. Sweet Almond Mint cleansing conditioner did not. Sweet Almond Mint other stuff did though. I think it was the SAM styling balm or something I was looking at that was almost nothing but cones.

Oskimosa
July 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
The last time I looked, some flavors of the cleansing conditioners had cones and some didn't. Sweet Almond Mint cleansing conditioner did not. Sweet Almond Mint other stuff did though. I think it was the SAM styling balm or something I was looking at that was almost nothing but cones.

My mom kept pushing me to check those WEN products out, too. I was looking on the site for ingredients and I saw nothing but protiens, alcohols, cones, and I THINK I saw some sulfates in there too. Blah, how is this any different from the 4 dollar mess I can buy in a grocery store? :( Not to pass a poop sandwish or anything. I just gotta know why it's supposed to be so much better.

Riot Crrl
July 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM
My mom kept pushing me to check those WEN products out, too. I was looking on the site for ingredients and I saw nothing but protiens, alcohols, cones, and I THINK I saw some sulfates in there too. Blah, how is this any different from the 4 dollar mess I can buy in a grocery store? :( Not to pass a poop sandwish or anything. I just gotta know why it's supposed to be so much better.

Now that I cannot answer! My personal opinion was that they giftwrapped the free concept of CO and used it to jack up the price to 30 bucks for a bottle of conditioner.

Oskimosa
July 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Now that I cannot answer! My personal opinion was that they giftwrapped the free concept of CO and used it to jack up the price to 30 bucks for a bottle of conditioner.

Ah-HAH. Think you pegged it, Riot Crrl.

Anne~
July 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM

I don't think it is so much better, but that has to be an opinion, everyone's hair acts differently to all products. I just know it works better on my hair than the stuff I have been buying to CO. I am in a posistion that I can afford to try these products and if they don't work I will wash my horses with them. I just thought I would share my review on this product, it might save someone the money or help them spend it. ;) Looks like I am helping you save it.

Kirin
July 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I agree, and glad I have someone's personal opinion. I saw the informercial a while back.... and thought "Gee, I can get conditioner for 99 cents and try that!". But its nice to know that the stuff actually works.

To me, gift wrapped or concepted, if the product works well for those who try it, they may make the leap and say the same thing, and go to their local mart and get conditioner instead!

With the ingredients, I did realize WEN might be very good for those who CO by itself still leaves them dirty/greasy if there's a smidge of sulphates in some of it, all in all it sounds like its still a big step away from the shampoo bottle. Thats a big leap for the every day washer.

lora410
July 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
What do you mean by "only one kind"??

If you mean contains 'cones... maybe so. I didn't check, since I don't have any good reason to suspect trouble with 'cones (yet).

If you mean just the Sweet Almond Mint... No! I phoned and spoke to them, and got a customized product deal for myself, just by asking for it.

All I did was ask if I could sign up for the Hme Delivery AND use products other than the Almond Mint stuff... the woman, Lora, told me that I can have other products instead, and she asked me what kind of hair I had. I told her. She recommended the Cucumber Aloe for me. Told me that I might find the Almont Mint too heavy for my hair, since I have very oily, very fine hair that needs body/volume added.

Just trying to clarify, not argue. :)

Ohh, I went onto their website and only saw the one :lol:

Anne~
July 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Ohh, I went onto their website and only saw the one :lol:

Here are the ingrediants to the one I purchsed (Lavender) I only purchased from Amazon.com. As you can see it has cones and sulphates. But my hair does just fine with it. I am a cone head though :face: have been for 20 years. I do not like the menthol, not sure what good it does but tingle, I will give it a few more weeks before I toss it out to the barn.

Ingredients
Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Lavender Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Lavender Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Witch Hazel, Ceteareth-20, Sweet Almon Oil, Menthol, Avocado Oil, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid

Oskimosa
July 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I don't think it is so much better, but that has to be an opinion, everyone's hair acts differently to all products. I just know it works better on my hair than the stuff I have been buying to CO. I am in a posistion that I can afford to try these products and if they don't work I will wash my horses with them. I just thought I would share my review on this product, it might save someone the money or help them spend it. ;) Looks like I am helping you save it.

That's awesome, and I am so glad you tried it. I just keep hearing all these raves about it (not on the board) and I was really sure it was a gimmick. My sister is especially going nuts over wanting to try it, but she is just so broke I wish she wouldn't. But she's hardheaded, and anything I tell her about taking care of her hair just goes in one ear and out the other. It's a shame cause she's got good hair to begin with, she just trashes the mess out of it with PPD dyes and highlights... looks like a fuzzy mess. She's trying to make her brown hair auburn. Would be the freaking easiest thing with henna/hendigo. *sigh*

young&reckless
July 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
I was so happy to see an ad for Wen www.wenhaircare.com (http://www.wenhaircare.com) that I had to post a new thread. For those who want to go all natural without lossing the simple "just washing your hair with shampoo" way of cleansing this stuff is great. It is expensive though and you can sometimes get it cheaper at www.qvc.com (http://www.qvc.com).

Even if your not looking for a new cleansing method check out their hair oils.

CurlyOne
July 23rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
That looks interesting, have you actually tried it?

aisling
July 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
And what's the big difference to CO:ing then?

Ohio Sky
July 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
And what's the big difference to CO:ing then?

About $28.50 :silly:

Riot Crrl
July 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
About $28.50 :silly:

Yep. I wouldn't call it all natural, either. http://www.wenhaircare.com/ingredients_pop.php

Ohio Sky
July 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Wow... I thought in their infomercial they were all anti-sulfate!? That guy went on for 30 minutes about how regular shampoos are damaging because of sulfates. I've never heard of that particular one, but I know it is, in fact, a sulfate. Bad, bad Chaz Dean! :mad:

Bucatini
July 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
There was chatter about this previously, but it's almost impossible to search for because "Wen" only has three letters. Searching "Chaz Dean" will show you more info but here's one thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4315), another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2492), and another (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5865).

I think there were more maybe those are on the archives?.... but anyway lots of folks have shared their experiences.

I don't think anybody has talked about the hair oils that young&reckless mentioned. It is great to see the use of oils advocated in a commercial product but the "actual ingredients" in the hair oils are simply jojoba and essential oils. Yet he charges $20 for 4 ounces.
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

I could better grasp the inflated price if it had some super convenient or elegant packaging, but it's the same amber glass medicine dropper bottle that my pharmacist gave me for free upon request.

Caveat Emptor.

aisling
July 24th, 2008, 12:33 AM
There was chatter about this previously, but it's almost impossible to search for because "Wen" only has three letters.

And that's why tagging is a good idea :)

young&reckless
July 24th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'm glad to see I got a thread started.

I have used the products for a total of about two years (I have since switched to CV bars due to cost.) For me this product cleaned my hair far better then condish only (which was like not washing at all for my scalp.) And after perming my hair twice (yikes right, wont do that again!) it saved my hair (the bottom length of my hair in my sig shows little damage thanks to it)

I think for those who don't like shampoo bars but don't get their hair "clean" with condish only its a great option. But like I said expensive.

The hair oil I like because it smells fantastic and has a mix of oils in it so I'm not having to mix myself and I really only oil the ends so the bottle last forever.

This product made my hair feel like cool silk, which I miss, for I spend far more time detangling without it but all you girls are right, it is overpriced for what it is.

I'll check back in a few days if you have any other question, I recomend this product to anyone who wants the benifits of poo bars or condish only but wants more convinence.

AnimaSola3o4
July 31st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Anybody else seen the commercial for this product? It's called Wen, and it's basically CO-ing, but it's got all sorts of herbs and such in it... and it comes with a gentle styling product and like a deep treatment thing.

Basically what the people in this commercial are explaining the benefits of not using sulfates and drying shampoo anymore.

I'm surprised that this is catching on as it is.

I'm increeeeedibly tempted. I think I'm going to have to try it at least once. I've gone CO before, but the tangling was terrible so I'm not holding my breath about it, but I'll try this product(s) at least once.

http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php?acnt=GHZZD000&s_kwcid=wen%20hair|1725480466 (http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php?acnt=GHZZD000&s_kwcid=wen%20hair%7C1725480466)

Riot Crrl
July 31st, 2008, 12:50 AM
It comes up fairly often. "Wen" is too short of a character string to search for, but "chaz dean" yeilds some results.

Nevermore
July 31st, 2008, 12:51 AM
There's a thread about this over on conventional products, methinks. I had been curious too.

AnimaSola3o4
July 31st, 2008, 12:55 AM
There's a thread about this over on conventional products, methinks. I had been curious too.

oops. I prolly should've looked there! I don't normally visit that forum. My apologies, mods! [feel free to move the thread or close it or something]

young&reckless
July 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
I've used this product and loved it. It got my hair cleaner then condish only and saved me from having to cut off twice permed and multi-colored hair.

I say loved because I don't use it anymore due to price (about $28 a bottle) For me a bottle lasted about a month so it added up to about $350 a year (Yikes!) I do still use their other products, I love their sweet almond mint hair oil, it is a mix of a few oils.

If you decide to try it buying from www.qvc.com can be cheaper sometimes (mostly in shipping).

I will switch back to it when I have the funds but for now it's poo bars for me!

Takethevitamin
July 31st, 2008, 10:07 AM
I wasn't crazy about it, especially the scents. The fig-based ones smell something fierce, and the rest just aren't anything to write home about.

My hair didn't feel as soft as a CO with cheap $0.99 conditioner. Go figure.

AmericanWoman
July 31st, 2008, 10:25 AM
I wouldnt waste money on something I can achieve with .99 condishoner.

Merkaba
July 31st, 2008, 11:01 AM
I believe some people over at naturallycurly.com have tried this and really liked it. I think it's in the favorites category for at least 2 months. I haven't tried it personally, but then again I dont have $28 for 1 bottle of anything!

NurseMama
July 31st, 2008, 11:20 AM
I tried it and I have to say that my hair like cheap ol' VO5 Extra Body better. It isn't worth the money and you have to use so much of the product to make it work. Of course the bottle that they give you in the starter pack is tiny.

AnimaSola3o4
July 31st, 2008, 06:28 PM
I wish I could do CO with cheap condish. I've tried, but my scalp gets irritated (itchy, flakey, tons of buildup).... not sure if its a fungal thing, but ketaconazole (nizoral) makes it go away. Which obviously is in the form of a shampoo. And coney condish makes my hair so much easier to deal with tangle-wise.

ETA: I was hoping someone had tried Wen and had good results for their scalp. Maybe with all the herbs and stuff it would fix my scalp problems. :shrug:

flapjack
July 31st, 2008, 10:53 PM
I tried the conditioner and it was a really good standard conditioner. BUT the thing is... I have $1.99 trader joe's conditioner and $4.99 bioinfusion conditioner that works exactly the same on my hair. So other than the one bottle, I haven't gone back.

danacc
August 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Looking at the ingredients, there is no sulfate detergent there. In spite of having "sulfate" as a suffix, Behentrimonium Methosulfate is not a detergent at all, but rather an emulsifier that helps hair detangle more easily. It is found in many conditioners.

Wen may be a great conditioner to use for CO; as others have noted, lots of folks have had excellent results with cheaper conditioner products, too.

yldchyld
August 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Looking at the ingredients, there is no sulfate detergent there. In spite of having "sulfate" as a suffix, Behentrimonium Methosulfate is not a detergent at all, but rather an emulsifier that helps hair detangle more easily. It is found in many conditioners.

Wen may be a great conditioner to use for CO; as others have noted, lots of folks have had excellent results with cheaper conditioner products, too.

exactly! I find my 2 years of Organic Chemistry helpful in reading labels. the 'ate on the end of a sulfur containing molecule indicates the type of bond it has with the whole molecule. As does Sul'fide' Sul'fous"..ect. Plus, they tend to use common industry terms for compounds that don't exactly reflect the true makeup. Chemistry shorthand - geek speak!

Kirin
August 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
At first i thought WEN might be a decent idea for me as initially CO didn't work for me.

I was wrong, CO does work for me, I just had to find the right conditioner. Oddly enough, conditioners I'd used in the past for S&C that seemed to dry out my hair work GREAT for CO, nice and clean.

Again, weird, my hair generally hates protein, but loves protein conditioners for CO probably because of the slight drying it can cause which gets rid of my oiliness. Without being stripped by shampoo first, these conditioners work great.

Ohio Sky
August 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
exactly! I find my 2 years of Organic Chemistry helpful in reading labels. the 'ate on the end of a sulfur containing molecule indicates the type of bond it has with the whole molecule. As does Sul'fide' Sul'fous"..ect. Plus, they tend to use common industry terms for compounds that don't exactly reflect the true makeup. Chemistry shorthand - geek speak!

Good to know, though I'm not sure I could repeat any of that! :p

galadriel
August 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
I use WEN's Tea Tree and I love it. I have a very sensitive scalp and have tried in the pat 6 years every conditioner imaginable for c/o nothing worked for both my scalp and hair. Devacurl products and WEN are the only ones that made my hair curlier, without frizz and not make my scalp itchy. Devacurl is cheaper but I needed the no poo and the conditioner one to do what wen does with one bottle. The tea tree make my scalp feel all tingle(sp) and my hair feels soft. I wish the product that works best for me was cheaper but I look at this way, before I started growing my hair 7 years ago I use to go to the hairdresser every 6 weeks for a trim, I'd get my hair highlighted every 4 months and I only used Aveda or Paul Mitchell products...all which added up to a whole butt load of money. Now I buy 32oz. bottle of Wen Tea Tree and it last me about three months and the only other thing I buy is Aveda oil...so in a year I spend close to $200.00 on my hair, I use to spend that just to get my hair highlighted once. I live in Connecticut where to just get your hair trimmed it's $40.00(at a cheaper hair-salon).

Flaxen
August 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
It comes up fairly often. "Wen" is too short of a character string to search for, but "chaz dean" yeilds some results.
Try coming in the back door through Google. Type wen site:forums.longhaircommunity.com into their search. :grin:

aisling
August 3rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
And remember the tags, you can also find threads that has been tagged through that.

*goes off to tag this thread*

AnimaSola3o4
August 3rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
Try coming in the back door through Google. Type wen site:forums.longhaircommunity.com into their search. :grin:

gasp! that's much more effective, thanks for that info!! :copies to notepad:

And remember the tags, you can also find threads that has been tagged through that.

*goes off to tag this thread*

Thank you! :)

Dolly
August 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I used WEN exclusively for about 5-6 months. Then I couldn't afford it any more. So, I went to the Dollar Store and bought a big bottle of Suave conditioner for $1. It worked just as well.....you just have to use a lot and let it sit on your hair, just like you do with the WEN. And, the menthol in WEN started irritating my scalp and making my red color fade worse over time.

So, I went to cheap CO washes.....going to try shampoo bars soon.....very intriguing and sound especially good for taking on vacation......

EmpressRi
August 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Is it meant for me to have this? I just posted on another forum for a possible swap or sell if anyone had this. What is it, $28 for 6 ounces?? That's a LOT of money!!!! Oh, I see it's $28 for 16. That's a little better but gads! It still isn't cheap! The fig sounds enticing though. At a get together I was able to smell the fig, and it was nice.

Dolly
August 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
It is very expensive. I mean, even though I don't wash my hair every day, you still have to use a TON of it to get the good results.....and my hair is down below my bra strap. I just couldn't afford it any more.....

fxdwgchick
August 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
You can buy it on eBay for a bit less, and not have to enroll in anything. I was thinking about using it as I only once or twice a week if I have to.

Dolly
August 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'd suggest that if you've never tried it, to buy it on QVC. They have a 30-day money back guarantee. Even if you use the whole bottle and decide that you hate it they'll still give your money back.

manderly
August 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well I think Wen is a good idea. It brings people into COing who wouldn't otherwise do so. You know, the people who go "GAH! You mean you don't use shampoo!?!?!"

I've been trying to get my Mom to order it for herself since she failed to CO the way I tried to explain to her. She didn't like it, her hair was lank and greasy. She didn't do it right. But WEN, with it's specific instructions (not what her daughter is telling her) maybe she'll use it right and love it!

This is a woman who uses Costco brand S&C and she has straw barbie doll hair. I really have been trying to get her to improve her poor hair.

nastasska
September 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I remember from the old boards a few people were using this but there doesn't seem to be any current thread about it.
So are you still using it and what do you think of it

:)

chamogirl
September 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I looked in to it but discovered that it is way too expensive when you can take a VO5 conditioner and mix it with non alchol witch hazel and make your own cleansing conditioner. Wen uses rosemary extract for the astringent based cleaning conditioner. I use Thayers lavender and rose water one and it works well for me because I have fine oily hair.

Koala Kim
September 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM
What a timely thread! I literally ordered some from QVC a couple of hours ago. I'll post once I try it.

I believe TessieAnn is currently using Wen. I think. I know it's someone whose blog I read regularly. :ponder:

I looked in to it but discovered that it is way too expensive when you can take a VO5 conditioner and mix it with non alchol witch hazel and make your own cleansing conditioner. Wen uses rosemary extract for the astringent based cleaning conditioner. I use Thayers lavender and rose water one and it works well for me because I have fine oily hair.
Well now foo. I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered. :lol:
I may try mixing this up too and do a little test of sorts.
Thanks Chamogirl! :flowers:

Flaxen
September 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Some other Wen threads. They're kind of tricky to find because of the three letter thing. :)
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9054), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7475), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4315), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2492), and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8138).

TessieAnn
September 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I have a bottle of Wen that is nearly finished after about six months. I use it now and then because it's a bit too heavy for my 1aFi hair. It does make it very soft so is good to throw into the rotation of other products when my ends start turning to velcro. There is a definite difference in texture between the cheapies like VO5 and Wen.

My DIL bought it and gave me a bottle to try. I gave her back the styling cream as it's way too thick for me. She likes how soft Wen makes her very curly/spirally hair but I don't think she uses it every day. She got it at a much better price than you see online now.

I think it's probably a great revelation for women who are used to the mega-expensive salons, tons of product and spray and all. For LHCers it's not revolutionary.

Koala Kim
September 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Some other Wen threads. They're kind of tricky to find because of the three letter thing. :)
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9054), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7475), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4315), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2492), and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8138).
I didn't realize there were so many threads since I rarely wander in these parts. :lol:

I decided to try Wen because every since Nature's Gate did away with my HG for CO, I have not been able to find a decent substitute. :(

Since I don't wash my hair everyday, and would probably use a lesser amount, I thought it was worth it. If only to try it and decide for myself. :)

Delila
September 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I looked in to it but discovered that it is way too expensive when you can take a VO5 conditioner and mix it with non alchol witch hazel and make your own cleansing conditioner. ...

I'm glad you posted this. I'd given up on CO after a good long try at it, but couldn't help wondering about Wen products.

Since my skin doesn't seem to care for witch hazel, I'm thinking this one's out for me, homemade substitute or the real deal. Thanks for the heads up.

aisling
September 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I don't agree that they're difficult to find, that's where the tags are handy ;) Of course,t hen you'll have to get people to use the tags as well and that's the difficult thing :)

Koala Kim
September 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'm glad you posted this. I'd given up on CO after a good long try at it, but couldn't help wondering about Wen products.

Since my skin doesn't seem to care for witch hazel, I'm thinking this one's out for me, homemade substitute or the real deal. Thanks for the heads up.
Delilah- according to chamogirl, Wen uses rosemary extract instead of witch hazel for the astringent. :flower:

I think witch hazel would be too strong for my scalp and was thinking of maybe mixing some rosemary in a conditioner.

TessieAnn
September 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Koala Kim, I too am truly bummed by Nature's Gate reformulation of the Original Herbal S&C. I discovered them just as they were phasing out.

Wen is creamier and thicker and doesn't have that lovely fragrance of old HC.

I haven't been able to bring myself to try the next generation HC because of the long list of ingredients--much different formula. So sad.

Arctic_Mama
September 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I LOVED the Nature's Gate, but I am trying others from their line first to see if I can find another HG.

Let us know how you like using Wen. It's not pricey compared to some I've used over the years, but it's definitely not as dirt cheap as VO5.

EmpressRi
September 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I hope there isn't with hazel in it, I hate the smell! Wait, I have a bottle someone gave me, let me check...nope! The rosemary extract as promised. :)

Silver Strands
September 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I took an existing bottle of Suave Lavender & Lilac conditioner and added
ingredients to it to try and come close to the WEN cleansing conditioners.

This conditioner already contains alcohol so I added the following:

I had a 22.5 oz. bottle that was 2/3 full.
To this I added 5 pumps of aloe gel from "Fruit of the Earth"
10 drops French Lavender eo
5 drops Peppermint eo
5 drops Vanilla 5th (just because I love the smell)
2 or 3 drops tea tree ( I didn't have Rosemary)
and 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil.

I shook it very well and was suprised how much it seemed to "thin it out" with just those few ingredients added.

I noticed it has much better cleansing properties with the lavender
and other oils added to it but was very moistuizing with the coconut oil
and aloe.
I didn't use any as a leave-in as I wanted to see how it worked on it's own.

My hair is almost dry and it's very soft but my scalp feels very clean and tingly.

So, will it be greasy tomorrow? I don't know.
But I now know I can experiment with cheaper conditioners and custom
make my own WEN.

Other little side notes:

I remember years ago adding eo's to my dog's shampoo and how well it worked
to keep fleas away and give him a fantastic coat.

I will definitely pick up some Rosemary as I love the smell.

Regular CO left my scalp feeling a little "coated".
This has left a very clean feeling.

Thanks for starting this thread and getting me thinking and experimenting
again!

Anne~
September 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, I waisted my money on Wen. It made my hair frizzy even when I used it correctly.

I use it as a leave in condition once in awhile now till is it gone and then I will not order it again. I think I will try it on my horse!

Koala Kim
September 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM

5 drops Peppermint eo

I shook it very well and was suprised how much it seemed to "thin it out" with just those few ingredients added.

and aloe.

My hair is almost dry and it's very soft but my scalp feels very clean and tingly.

make my own WEN.

Other little side notes:

again!
Looking forward to the results!

Silver Strands
September 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Looking forward to the results!

While out yesterday I stopped and bought some Rosemary oil and added 5 drops to my conditioner mixture.

This morning I could have skipped a day but had to try out the new mixture.
I don't know how 5 drops could make such a difference but the ends don't seem quite as soft today.
(This is after allowing to dry.)

I put a pea sized drop of Giovanni Direct Leave-In on the ends and all is very well.

It does feel very clean; as clean as if I used shampoo so the
eo's must be pretty cleansing.

Tomorrow I plan to skip a day unless I get very dirty or sweaty.

I'll keep you posted!

Koala Kim
September 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks Silver Strands! :flowers:

Silver Strands
September 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks Silver Strands! :flowers:

Your very welcome!

Koala Kim
September 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I used the Wen for the first time last night.

I bought the Cucumber Aloe, which is what was recommended for an oily scalp/dry hair.
When you open it, the scent of menthol hits you. So this must be the medicinal smell some complain about. It didn't bother me and once your hair is dry, you do not smell it.

Since I wash my hair upside-down in a laundry tub, my results may vary from other's. :flowers:

I took the timer downstairs with me because I had read people saying it's very important to rinse your hair for at least a minute. My gosh! I never knew a minute could be so long! :lol: It makes me wonder if some of the problems I've had with some conditioners I've tried for CO was caused by my scalp/hair not being wet enough. :ponder:

After the minute, I started to apply. The amount that comes out with each pump is not a lot; way less than I thought it would be. That's a good thing! I started with the crown as suggested in the booklet that came with the Wen, worked my way around the sides, back, and nape, and finally the length.

I have waist-length hair that is fine, and I used all of 20 pumps; mostly on the scalp. I massaged it in for a minute (again timed, and again...L-O-N-G :lol:), combed it through, put it up and left it for 10 minutes.

While waiting for the 10 minutes to be up, I realized I was supposed to add a little water before that final massage. Drat! I hoped for the best and waited for the 10 minutes to be up.

When the timer went off, I went to rinse. Added a little water and did another quick massage first. I rinsed and massaged; repeat. I rinsed until I was tired of rinsing. :lol:
I then added 1 pump of the Wen to my soaking wet hair as directed in the booklet. Up in my trusty pseudo-Curl-Ease towel (kind of sort of like a Curl-Ease towel; just a thicker material) for about 15 minutes. Let it out, combed it out, and let it air-dry for about an hour before I put it into two sleep braids.

This morning, hair was a little flyaway/frizzy when I got up. However- my hair is *always* this way after I wash it. I don't care what I use. That's just my hair. :shrug:

When I took my braids out- beautiful braid waves like I haven't seen in forever. :cloud9:
Hair is soft like silk. After misting and combing, it looks and feels great!

I will post another review after I've used it for awhile. But so far- two opposable thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

renarok
September 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
II took the timer downstairs with me because I had read people saying it's very important to rinse your hair for at least a minute. My gosh! I never knew a minute could be so long! :lol: It makes me wonder if some of the problems I've had with some conditioners I've tried for CO was caused by my scalp/hair not being wet enough. :ponder:

Scrub harder-- rinse longer. That is my mantra for healthy hair.

nastasska
September 21st, 2008, 02:37 AM
Oh Kim that sounds good.I'm very tempted -we need a tempted smiley-There is only one kind available here at the moment do you think this is a good deal:eye:

http://www.chazdeanwen.com.au/ChazDean_AU/?2473PSEM&gclid=CKHpp5-97JUCFQ89awodkVEjfw

Koala Kim
September 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Oh Kim that sounds good.I'm very tempted -we need a tempted smiley-There is only one kind available here at the moment do you think this is a good deal:eye:

http://www.chazdeanwen.com.au/ChazDean_AU/?2473PSEM&gclid=CKHpp5-97JUCFQ89awodkVEjfw
Nastasska, it's a little more expensive than the American version of the package. But it could be they're figuring in extra postage in the cost. :shrug:
Also- be aware that if you order that package, they sign you up for auto-ship. You would have to call and cancel within 30 days (I believe) if you don't want auto-ship.

The almond mint is the one I want to try next. :)

Too bad you don't have QVC. That's where I ordered mine.

nastasska
September 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Oh No Postage is extra we have this nasty tax called a GST here which ups the price of everything by 10%:steam

I know the pitfalls of the company but I like the look of the treatment and also the comb that comes with it

It's actually the price of a bottle of Shampoo and Conditioner from a salon put together as they sell between Aus$20-30 a bottle

Silver Strands
September 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
I clarified/chelated this morning.
I had to- I have heavy water.

I really like the mixture I made. The eo's add astringent & cleansing properties
plain conditioner just doesn't have.
I will continue to use this the majority of the time but I have to clarify once a week.
(edited to add: I wash my hair every other day)
Plus, I just don't know how he thinks you can use his product and only his product
indefinitely without an occasional shampoo thrown it to remove build-up.

I noticed on his little videos that even his hair has a slight greasy look to it at the
roots.

Anyhow, i'd love to try the real stuff but not for the money.
I'll use up my stash of 6 bottles of conditioner by adding the eo's, etc.
It really does make your hair look nice and feel very soft.

I'll be keeping track of this thread and seeing how everyone is enjoying the
WEN- either real or fake.

Take Care!

Olivia23
September 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I was just coming on here to ask the same thing about wen! I saw an infomercial on it this morning but didn't believe the hype so I researched the review on Amazon.com. Everone gave it rave reviews so I'm definitely going to buy some.

Snowymoon
September 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have a couple questions.

1. Is the conditioner coming out of the Wen pump bottles aerated or more mouse like, or is it creamy like lotion when it comes out?
2. When they say "soaking wet," do they mean no squeezing the water out of the hair before applying the conditioner or the leave-in?

I am so darn analytical. :silly:

Dolly
September 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have a couple questions.

1. Is the conditioner coming out of the Wen pump bottles aerated or more mouse like, or is it creamy like lotion when it comes out?
2. When they say "soaking wet," do they mean no squeezing the water out of the hair before applying the conditioner or the leave-in?

I am so darn analytical. :silly:

The texture is just like a thick conditioner. When applying it as a leave-in, it works best if you squeeze a bit of the water out of your hair, at least it did for me.

I liked the WEN ok, but it is just too darned expensive. I still had to clarify about every 6 weeks, because it would build up something awful. I switched to regular CO washing, which worked just as well on my hair.

Now I'm using CV bars though and I'm hooked!

Snowymoon
September 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Interesting. I am wondering if the "magic" is in the product or in the technique alone (I suspect the latter).

Neoma
September 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
CO'ing has worked well from me from time to time, but not for extended periods. Inspired by this thread, I just mixed some V05 Strawberry & Cream with some KLS and added the following: aloe gel, rosemary EO, peppermint EO and lavender EO. I'm going to add a few drops of of sweet almond oil, too.

I'm kind of excited. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Neoma
September 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Inspired by this thread, I just mixed some V05 Strawberry & Cream with some KLS and added the following: aloe gel, rosemary EO, peppermint EO and lavender EO. I'm going to add a few drops of of sweet almond oil, too.

This morning, I wet my hair well and applied a copious amount of my faux-Wen. It did not "lather" nearly as well as unadulterated V05 conditioner. I clipped my hair up and completed my other showerly duties. I added a little more water and tried to work up a little more lather, to no avail.

I rinsed, rinsed, rinsed.

My hair is super-shiny, soft and silky.

My crown is very flat and unimpressive, but, then again, it usually is.

I will probably use up the bottle of faux-Wen that I mixed up, but I'm not at all sure that it worked any better than plain old V05. We'll see...

Perhaps I'll alternate with my shampoo bars.

Silver Strands
September 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I have been using my imitation WEN for almost 2 weeks now.

Last week it was rainy and my hair was so pouffy it was comical-
except for all the little hairs sticking up everywhere.

Anyhow, it got me thinking about the fact that he uses a cone leave-in
and I have a small amount of Dove conditioner left and decided to use it
as you normally would- use the imitation WEN as a shampoo, followed by
the Dove which I rinsed out.

The results are fantastic for me.
I have the best of both worlds:
1 ) A gentle cleanser that doesn't leave a coating or film behind and that actually
cleans consistently for me unlike CO.
2 ) A cone conditioner that eliminates tangles ( I spend a lot of time outside
in wind, etc.) or brillo-pad looking hair. Especially
those wiry silver hairs that spring up wildly during humid weather.

I will use up all of my conditioner bottles with this mixture.
I love it!
I use it 3 to 1- 3 times using the imitation WEN to 1 shampoo.
Heck, even my shampoo is laced with conditioner. I am currently using
Pantene Beautiful Lengths 2 in 1 shampoo/ conditioner combo.

So in conclusion, even though I wash every other day I feel I am using
gentle products and i'm very happy with the results.

Thanks for the inspiration and i'll be waiting to hear how everyone else is doing
with either their mixtures or the real thing!

copper260
September 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM
My WEN is in the mail to me. I ordered perhaps 10 days ago. I'll post back once I have it.....Karen

SHELIAANN1969
September 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I traded on the swap board for some WEN sweet almond mint, cleansing conditioner.

Now, for 16 oz at 30$ -- no way am I rinsing this stuff out, I use it as a leave in condish, ahhhhhh the Peppermint is heavenly, I love it, and it does really well in my hair.

I also got the deep condish, I haven't really used it yet, just to sample it, it's thick and doesn't have much of a smell, and I got the styling cream and it smells more of almond than mint, it's a bit thin, but I am going to use them all as leave in anyways.

So far, I am in love. But I doubt I would EVER spend 30$ for 16oz. Unless I find it on swap or at an outlet, I'll be using shea, coconut oil, or Africas Best!!

Silver Strands
October 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
On another thread titled:
Any COW washers?

a member named: Rzilynt said that Sally's is selling a version of WEN.

Has anyone seen this or know how much it is and if it has the same ingredients?

I used my homemade WEN today after not washing since Friday.
My hair feels very nice but I think it is a little drying and I think in my case it's the rosemary I added after I had already added the tea tree oil.
Maybe the 2 together is too much.
Next batch I won't add any tea tree.

But if Sally's sells it, I will just have to try that instead and quit trying to figure out what goes in it and how much.

Koala Kim
October 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you Silver Strands! :flowers:
I am so there at Sally's! I can swing by there tomorrow. If I remember. :o

Silver Strands
October 8th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I hear ya Kim!
I will be going by there today too.
I'll let you know if I find it.

burns_erin
October 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I found it on their website, but the stores in my area do not carry it.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cleansing-Conditioner/HARONE01,default,pd.html

Silver Strands
October 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
The store closest to me didn't carry it and i'll call the other stores tomorrow.

I wish they offered it online.

It's called "Hair One", it comes in 12 ounce bottles and sells for $10.99 or $9.99 with a Sally's club card.
They have the cucumber for normal, jojoba for color treated, olive oil for dry, & tea tree for dry scalp.

ETA:
Sorry burns erin, If I had gone to your link I wouldn't have listed the above as it is all there.

Koala Kim
October 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I hear ya Kim!
I will be going by there today too.
I'll let you know if I find it.
Well, RL came first, so I didn't have a chance to go to Sally's today.

I found it on their website, but the stores in my area do not carry it.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cleansing-Conditioner/HARONE01,default,pd.html
Wow! Look at the difference in price! :thud:
Now I absolutely *must* go to Sally's within the next day or so. :)

StephanieB
October 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I use the cucumber aloe WEN cleansing conditioner every other day.

I apply it well, clip it up with a large plastic clip that's got really smooth jaw teeth and safe for wet hair, and do the rest of my shower.

When my roots get too oily, I just rub a little talc into the roots, all over, just at the scalp only BEFORE washing my hair regularly otherwise with the WEN cleansing conditioner.

Once a week or so - I also use WEN Re Moist Intensive Hair Repair routine.*

After I've rinsed everything out/off -- facial skin cleansing products, WEN, body soap, etc, I apply a bit of the Styling creme in the last third of my hair - the ends, and leave it in.

I transfer out, dry off, and put my hair up in a Diva towel to dry a little.

By the time I've done tooth-brushing and everything else, my hair is no longer dripping wet. I take the Diva towel off and let my hair air-dry.

*Once a week or so - I also use WEN Re Moist Intensive Hair Repair. I apply it now - before doing any of the rest of my usual shower. Clip my hair up. Put a cheapie plastic shower cap on it... the 6-for-99˘ kind. I transfer out of the shower tub, dry off, and go about houssework or whatever business I've got to do for a few hours. I try to wait at least 2 hours, and preferably 4 hours, before washing it out.

snowbear
October 15th, 2008, 10:26 PM
What's the ratio of witch hazel to conditioner?
This whole concept intrigues me.

StephanieB
October 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM

Where do you get, or how do you make, non-alcoholic 'witch hazel'???

Witch hazel - the commercial product - is, by chemical definition, alcohol-based... usually (at least in the USA) about 14% alcohol. The tree bark and leaves are distilled or decocted and then dissolved into alcohol.

I'm curious. :)

Koala Kim
October 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
In the interest of hair science :D I found and bought a bottle of the Sally's version of Wen.

It is called 'Hair One', and while less expensive, does not work the same as Wen does. At least for me.

I bought the jojoba for color treated hair. The ingredients are not the same/same order as Wen's, which should have been my first clue. While the cone is far down on Wen's list, it is the 4th ingredient in Hair One. My hair usually doesn't like cones that high up in the food chain. But I went ahead and used it anyway.

It made my hair a little on the dry side :confused: and tangly. Even after drying, my hair tangled. Not good. Not good at all. :nono:

So, right now, I like Wen a lot better than I do Hair One.

If anyone wants, I can type out the ingredients. :)

StephanieB
October 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
And even if the ingredients look to be the same - by name... if they are not the exact same amounts of each ingredient - you might have two entirely chemically different products, don't forget.

I'm NOT knocking the Sally's product, btw, just noting that the same words in different order do not equal the same products.

It may well be that for some people's hair, Sally's Hair One might work even better then Chaz Dean's WEN. :)

Koala Kim
October 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
And even if the ingredients look to be the same - by name... if they are not the exact same amounts of each ingredient - you might have two entirely chemically different products, don't forget.

I'm NOT knocking the Sally's product, btw, just noting that the same words in different order do not equal the same products.

It may well be that for some people's hair, Sally's Hair One might work even better then Chaz Dean's WEN. :)
Very true StephanieB. :agree:

That's why I offered to type out the ingredients. Some people do well with cones; some don't. :)

mommy101405
October 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Has anyone heard of this line? I am wondering if its just a CO wash. CO hasn't worked for me so I am wondering if this is going to be the same.

Delila
October 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
This one comes up from time to time, but because the name's so short, it's challenging to find on search.

Do a 'tag' search for Wen from the 'advanced search' page, it brings up results of threads that people have tagged.

HTH!

mommy101405
October 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I will try that. I did a search and nothing came up so I figured it had to do with the name being too short.

Wyldekat
October 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
My friend uses Wen products. It's sold by Chaz Dean. Here is the link. She absolutely loves it and recommended that I try it. I have bought anything yet. I'm to stingy with my money right now.

http://chazdeanstudio. com/ (http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vY2hhemRlYW5zdHVkaW8uY29tLw==)

maryva
October 31st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hi chamogirl -- how much witch hazel do you add to V05 to make cleansing conditioner? Do you add any other ingredients? Do you feel like it is working well? Thanks so much!

neon-dream
October 31st, 2008, 04:03 PM
I want to try Wen, but they don't deliver to the UK =/ I'm gutted lol
xxx

morguebabe
November 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.wenhaircare.com/before_after.php?pactvid=73ac4c27e69b1d630bc9f40d1 8aac09c

Auryn
December 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Have any of you lovely ladies tried Wen cleansing conditioner? I've heard good and bad about it, but I'm still not sure if I want to spend the money on it just yet.

http://www.wenhaircare.com If anyone wants to check it out. I'm looking for an ingredient list right now, but there doesn't seem to be on on the site. I'll update when/if I find one.

Thanks guys!

NebraskaChick84
December 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
here's the ingredient list http://www.wenhaircare.com/ingredients_pop.php?pactvid=564bcea51fd517ce76d160 899e8b9468

SHELIAANN1969
December 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I bought a couple bottles on swap and use it as a leave in instead of rinsing it out, it's too expensive to simply wash away.

morguebabe
January 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Maybe I can turn my Givonni Triple THreat Tea Tree Co into a Cleansing Co?

Debra83
January 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Any new updates/feedback now that more time has passed?

manderly
February 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah, I gave mom Wen for Xmas. She used it and her hair was soooooooo soft. After a couple of weeks she reported that her hair felt gunky and wasn't shiny, so she used some shampoo. I think she's using it in a rotation, but I haven't seen her hair as soft so I suspect she just blew it off and is back to shampoo.

On a side note, I forgot to cancel before I received the second shipment and I got a big box which cost me $98!!! I have no idea how many months supply that was supposed to be or even what exactly was in the box because I didn't open it, I just returned it and canceled the autoship. Expensive!

Debra83
February 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I gave mom Wen for Xmas. She used it and her hair was soooooooo soft. After a couple of weeks she reported that her hair felt gunky and wasn't shiny, so she used some shampoo. I think she's using it in a rotation, but I haven't seen her hair as soft so I suspect she just blew it off and is back to shampoo.

On a side note, I forgot to cancel before I received the second shipment and I got a big box which cost me $98!!! I have no idea how many months supply that was supposed to be or even what exactly was in the box because I didn't open it, I just returned it and canceled the autoship. Expensive!

wow. Thanks for disabling me...I'd need a fourth job to keep me in Wen.

morguebabe
February 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Here is a link to Hair One reviews (http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=112054/Sally_Hair_One/Unlisted_Brand/Hair)
I dunno i put it down in sally today.. I'm thinking I'm either going to make my own...or try the color one.

Jamie Lynn 40
February 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hi-
This question may have been asked before, but do any of you use the WEN haircare products? If so, what do you think about them? Thanks for your time.
Jamie

HairColoredHair
February 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Here's some old threads for you to look at:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9054&highlight=WEN*
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8138&highlight=WEN*
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9506&highlight=WEN*

Linda K
February 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM

5 drops Peppermint eo

and aloe.

make my own WEN.

Other little side notes:

again!

Now this makes sense! What is the Aloe for? :confused:

Also, if you google wen, one of the first hits is a review. Pantene does the same thing for far less - but suave and vo5 are superior to both!:o

Silver Strands
February 19th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Now this makes sense! What is the Aloe for? :confused::o

Aloe softens hair and is one of the first ingredients in the Wen Cucumber Aloe.
I was just trying to get it as close as possible.

I can't say if it would work as well without the original to compare to.
It cleans very well without stripping. Better than CO but more gentle than shampoo.
I didn't use it exclusively so I can't say how it works long term.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to make a new bottle up.

LaurelSpring
February 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Interesting. I am wondering if the "magic" is in the product or in the technique alone (I suspect the latter).

Could someone break down the technique for me?

I noticed on the home made versions that someone mentioned adding witch hazel. Has anyone reported back on that? Im going to have to give the aloe, EO addions a try now.

Silver Strands
February 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think the "witch hazel" person has ever come back.
Maybe you could make up a 1 time batch using some witch hazel and see if you like it.

I guess you are referring to the WEN technique?
Sorry can't help you there either.

I used the short CO version on my homemade WEN.
Add, massage, leave in while doing everything else, massage again, rinse, rinse, rinse.

manderly
February 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
The Wen technique? It's basically a CO.

Wet your hair and massage like, 1000 squirts of Wen into your hair, enough to really coat it (with CO we use handfulls, enough to really slather it on). Go about your regular shower business, then moisten and massage and rinse, rinse, rinse. Add a few squirts to your hair after rinsing as a leave-in.

JasmineDaisy
March 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Has anyone tried these products? I watched the infomercial last Sunday, and I am thinking about ordering the package, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money.

Here is the website:
http://www.wenhaircare.com/

The only problem my hair would have with the conditioning shampoo is that it has protein in it. I am just curious to see if this stuff really works like the before and after pictures shows.

Please let me know what ya'll think about these products. Thanks. :flower:

manderly
March 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I was not impressed and the price seemed prohibitive.

It's hard to find wen products on the search because it's too short a word, but I think you'll find several threads if you search for "Chaz Dean" or "Chaz Dean Wen".
:)

nastasska
March 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I've used it a couple of times now and I like it:)I've got the Arnica Mint one.It's the only one you can get here

wantslonglocks
April 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I actually used it most of the winter and it was fantastic. Kept my curls springy and no tangles. Lately though it doesn't seem to be working as well, and the frizz is coming back....why?!? Switched to Hello Hydration to see if that will help.

manderly
April 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
I actually used it most of the winter and it was fantastic. Kept my curls springy and no tangles. Lately though it doesn't seem to be working as well, and the frizz is coming back....why?!? Switched to Hello Hydration to see if that will help.

You may just need to clarify :) Try using a regular SLS shampoo and then got back to your Wen.

Dolly
April 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
I used WEN before I found this site and starting using a regular (and much cheaper) conditioner to CO. I used it for about 6 months, and then I just couldn't afford it any longer.......it would build up on my hair something awful, so it only looked good for about a week or so at a time.......

Natalia
April 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
My mom uses this and it has been helpful to her but to be fair she treats her hair horribly! She look pretty crispy fried before wen. I think it contributed equally as much to her mindset about how she treats her hair as it did as a product itself. Ive used it too never as a CO though i use the cone free ones as treatments but i prefer their jojoba hair oil over the conditioners. I do just fine with making my own or using aveda's ABC oil once and a while (when i can afford it) but she buys it and it hasnt hurt so... well its not on my dime :) about the only perk of being to sick to move out

Suzie22
April 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I ordered it about a month ago, tried it a few times and didnt care for it. It is now at my friends house and hoping she has better luck with it. My hair didnt feel too clean after using it, and it felt like it was getting "build up".

Jessaka
May 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM
*hopefully this is in the right place & allowed, if not..sorry!*

Has anyone tried Wen? I was thinking of trying it but I wanted to know if anyone else did and what their experiences was with it before I spent $30+ on it lol.

http://www.wenhaircare.com

kmoc123
May 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I am curious, too! It is expensive, but the theory is interesting.

Madame J
May 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Isn't this just CO with some gimmicky, overpriced, hyped-up conditioner as the cleaner? I read some reviews on Amazon when I considered it and I think some people even said they were curious, so they went to the store and bought a bottle of Suave conditioner, and used just that to wash and got the same results.

manderly
May 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, there have been several threads on this because the Wen is too short to find in the search. I don't have any of the links, but the consensus is basically it's an overpriced cone-laden CO knockoff :)

Sure, the $30 is tempting, but I got charged for $98 on the second shipment (I got it for mom for Xmas and tried it myself). We weren't impressed. My $1.99 Suave Coconut does so much better :)

Jessaka
May 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM
^Yeahh I thought there were probably some threads, but I wasn't around for 'em and nothing showed up in the search.

LOL though..yeahhh I wasn't sure so I wanted to check with you all cuz impulse buys are really horrible for me sometimes. I read a few reviews on other sites that said you had to try it for the whole month to see results...but ehhh idk.

Celogrl
June 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM
I have been back to using WEN for about 6 weeks and I am very pleased with it. Chaz has come out with some divine oils you can use on your scalp, hair and body and the Tea Tree is some tingly stuff, let me say! It is actually getting a few bristly short hairs in my thinning parts to regrow again, and now that my hair has gotten used to 'no poo', it's looking and feeling much healthier again. It's also growing faster, but summer does that to be anyway!:D

ColoradoDreamer
July 21st, 2009, 06:20 AM
Okay, I had insomnia last night and got up to watch late-night TV. Saw the Wen commercial and was intrigued but thought I'd come here and ask about it. Y'all told me about what I suspected - that I can probably get the same results using my Suave conditioners. I won't fix what ain't broken!

tommiefromva
August 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
;)I just saw an infomercial on Wen Hair products. It was interesting but too expensive. $29.95 for a one months supply. It was actually just conditioner to wash your hair with. I looked them up on the internet and they gave good instructions on using their conditioner. I think I'll stick to my Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner. Tommie. :cheese:

RoseAnn
August 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I used it well 4 bottles but with the economy stinking and I am keeping our family of 6 afloat no cash for WEN... Using Wen I never really felt like my hair was clean. so my kitchen witch took over.

No cash so i decided I would well make my own version since CO just isn't enough for my scalp. I buy Cure Care by the gallon at Sally's as well as Mint Julep Shampoo. I mix 2cups conditioner and 1/8 cup Mint Julep then until creamy and pour in a pump bottle. I CO with suave two days and use my conditionershampoo every third day.

With my hair this produces great results and my hair doesn't feel or look flat or frizzy. Just nice silky waves.

Anyway just sharing my two cents.

Blessed Be
RoseAnn

manderly
August 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks RoseAnn, that sounds like a nice mix :D

ademtce
August 20th, 2009, 09:48 AM
im really glad i never bought this.

babybabycat
September 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Did anyone see that infomercial on TV for the Wen Hair Cleansing System? It sounds interesting, but I think I will stick to my routine. Once you order, they will keep sending you the product every 3 months.

Here's the website:

http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php?uci=ous116&refcd=GO036959s_wen_hair_cleanser&tsacr=GO2833969966&s_kwcid=TC|8124|wen%20hair%20cleanser||S|e|2833969 966

ademtce
September 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM
i know there was a big thread about this a while back - but basically i think it was agreed that it was just an overpriced CO-wash system.

Canarygirl
September 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I've used it a couple years back and it is indeed an overpriced CO system. Not only that, but the one I used (for oily hair), was full of cones. :rolleyes:

ruthietoothie
September 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
I haven't been around here for a while, but just saw an infomercial (yes, it's rediculously late and I was up knitting and watching tv) for Wen hair care stuff. I came here to see if anyone has tried it and what "real-world" reviews are like, but the "wen" can't be searched since it's only 3 letters.

Has anyone tried it? here's (http://www.wenhaircare.com/how_works.php?pactvid=ifo26fnngqdcef141no06kpe8t3q a1aa) the link incase anyone is wondering.

After trying different natural hair care systems myself (WO, NW/SO, BS/ACV, Shampoo bars), lately I have gone back to using shampoo and conditioner (Aveda and Paul Mitchell). I'm interested in this product if it would restore life to my hair. Life and shine that I just can't seem to get naturally or even w/ regular shampoo/conditioner. I'd appreciate any comments on the Wen products...or links to threads that discuss it, since i couldn't find them.

Stormsong
September 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109

That's one of them, I think there may be another in the conventional products bit of the forum. I think the general consensus is that it's basically the same as the Conditioner Only system used here by forum members, only WEN has the huge price tag attached.

ruthietoothie
September 22nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to find! I thought it looked alot like a CO routine. I may have to try CO again myself. I haven't had success in the past, but it's been years since I've tried it.

I knew I could count on LHC to give honest reviews!

ladiosaRosa
October 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I may be waaaaay behind the times on this subject but I have the TV on and, for the first time, ran across a WEN info-mercial.

So, this is a request for any and all feedback on WEN cleansing conditioner.

Thank you.

Madame J
October 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109&highlight=WEN*)
For future reference (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35073)

ladiosaRosa
October 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109&highlight=WEN*)
For future reference (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35073)

Thank you, Madame J.

Topaz
October 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I've never tried WEN itself, but I have tried the Sally's knock-off called Hair One. It's OK, but you get the same or better results from CO or CWC.

Kerynna
November 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I saw an infomercial for this last night and even though I'm not normally an infomercial product buyer, I found myself tempted. But I read the list of ingredients and it contains Amodimethicone.

Is that as bad as all the usual cones?

Has anyone tried the Wen haircare line (http://www.wenhaircare.com)? I tried a search but 'wen' is too short of a word. :o

young&reckless
November 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
I loved using Wen, it was fantastic on my hair and the only product that made my twice permed hair feel nice.

But 30 bucks a month for shampoo at bsl length is just not ok. So I'm on poo bars now.

I still use their sweet almond mint hair oil, I just love the smell too much to quit that.

Topaz
November 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I've never tried Wen, the price is just too much for me, but I have tried the Sally's generic version which is called Hair One and is MUCH cheaper. It is a nice product, although it does contain at least one cone. But really, both Wen and Hair One seem to be just fancy-priced CO washes, and COing with VO5 and Suave, etc., is MUCH cheaper!

junkyschristmas
November 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
There is a thread about WEN at : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109

Hope that helps!

Madame J
November 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109&highlight=WEN*) is the Wen thread.

ETA: Ack, too slow!

junkyschristmas
November 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Also, here is a link about searching for three-letter words: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35073

Dolly
November 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, WEN is nice (I used it before I found this site), but it is WAAAAAAY overpriced.....even if you only wash once a week, with the amount you need to use, it just isn't worth it.....buy White Rain or Suave instead and CO.....

ladiosaRosa
November 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
So glad I read this thread; I only CO to clean my hair and the TV commercial for this product is sooooo appealing. WREB and VO5 is more my speed.

I'm assuming WEN has 'cones. So, how does one ever get the cones out when the silicones build up? .......if one were to be a faithful WEN user.

And, thanks for the three letter searches. I know I'm not a good searcher but geeeeesh.

pinchbeck
December 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hi,
I read that Hair One Cleansing Conditioner at Sally's Beauty is comparible.

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I love Wen! Unfortunatly, now that I am back in college its way out of my budget. I had amazing results with it before and want to find a cheaper alternative.

I tried cone-free CO for about a month, and it went well the first week but my super damaged hair couldn't handle it for some reason and was breaking off at record speed.

I COed with cone conditioner and quickly realised I would need to shampoo soon after.

I switched back to regular moisturinzig shampoo and conditioner.

I miss Wen so much though. I strongly reccomend it to anyone who can afford it.

What it is is a "Cleansing Conditioner" and you NEVER need to clarify. It works just like CO but when I never got the same results with CO.

The before and after pictures on the website are AMAZING.

They even used it on a black womans hair (they have dry hair naturally) and her hair transformed into a sleek head of hair.

My BF's mom introduced me to the product. She has baby fine color treated hair its pretty healthy.

Here is a list on the ingredients, hopefully someone out there can help me.

WENŽ Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner
Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat, Protein, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Amodimethicone, Citric Acid, Menthol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum, Limonene.

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/mommy/story_preview/2009/12/29/wen_cleansing_conditioner_review.jpg

Here is the website: http://www.wenhaircare.com/

I know there has gotta be a cheaper alternative or a good knock off.

Sallys should make a Wen knock off :cheese:

violeteyes
January 16th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm..Wen ended up making my hair look very greasy after just a few hours; I don't think that it was meant for people with an oily scalp! I'm happy that it gave you good results though :)

Pear Martini
January 16th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry mods, I thought I posted this in the hair products section

Hmmm..Wen ended up making my hair look very greasy after just a few hours; I don't think that it was meant for people with an oily scalp! I'm happy that it gave you good results though :)

So whats your hair routine now?

MotherConfessor
January 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Have you tried adding rosemary oil to a cone free conditioner? I know some girls mentioned making their own Wen this way....

melikai
January 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Here is a thread that talks about Wen:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109&highlight=dean

The consensus seems to be that it is like CO, but more expensive.

plainjanegirl
January 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I think Sally's does have a similar item. A cleansing conditioner called One. Check it out.

Pear Martini
January 17th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'm a total Sallys shopaholic so I have to check that product out! Thanks

Thanks for the link to that thread... I'm gonna investigate now:cheese:

Have you tried adding rosemary oil to a cone free conditioner? I know some girls mentioned making their own Wen this way....

Wow.. where can I find this rosemary oil? At whole foods?

camillacamilla
January 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think Sally's does have a similar item. A cleansing conditioner called One. Check it out.

You are right..Hair One Cleansing Hair Conditioner

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cleansing-Conditioner/HARONE01,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair01

Never tried it though.

Talula
January 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I just saw an infomercial for Wen Hair Care.... it was about washing with their "cleansing conditioner" only.... no regular shampoo, which is what I've been interested in from viewing the forums... the "CO" concept. But I haven't found conditioners to be able to clean, for me.... and this one is "cleansing" supposedly. Sooo..... if anyone's tried it and it sucks or it's not worth the money....go ahead & talk me out of being sucked in to this VERY appealing infomercial!

http://www.wenhaircare.com is their link...

But on their website, it looks like I might need up to 40!! pumps of the stuff to do my hair per their instructions of long thick hair? Doesn't seem like it would last too long, at that rate! And I don't think it's that big of a bottle...

WHOA...... somehow my fresh post got added to the end of this ENDLESS post. I had done a search for Wen Hair Care & got nothing! I wonder how you found this.....

AmericanWoman
January 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Don't bother. It's got cones, so it's not CG. And I wouldn't spend that much money, no way. If you try CO with Vo5, what I do is wet the top of my head and scrub like it's shampoo. I usually co with a thicker CO after, but not always. Is your sca;p oily? A lot of ladies here aplly CO to the length, diluted poo on the scalp and then Co with the 2nd stronger co after rinsing out. It's called CWC . Conditioning the length protect it from the poo.

Madame J
January 25th, 2010, 08:39 AM
There's a huge WEN thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12109&highlight=WEN*).

MandyBeth
January 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
It's cheaper on QVC if you really want to try it. But it's REALLY heavy (the cones) and I don't find it rinses well and just leaves my hair blah. The recommended number of pumps is way too high for my hair - so that may also be something.

Overall, it for my hair (fine, lots of it), it acted exactly like Vo5, just with a really high price tag.

But when I was on my coney diet - Vo5 and Wen both were good for my first conditioner because they did seem to last with the shampoo - doing CWC.

Talula
January 26th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Don't bother. It's got cones, so it's not CG. And I wouldn't spend that much money, no way. If you try CO with Vo5, what I do is wet the top of my head and scrub like it's shampoo. I usually co with a thicker CO after, but not always. Is your sca;p oily? A lot of ladies here aplly CO to the length, diluted poo on the scalp and then Co with the 2nd stronger co after rinsing out. It's called CWC . Conditioning the length protect it from the poo.

Is my scalp oily..... hmmmm.... my hair starts getting greasy around the scalp 2 days after washing it, I'd say. Is that oily or normal? For yrs I've washed (w/ SLS shampoos) every other day. On the in between day, I just wet scrubbed it, or just conditioned it. But those things didn't CLEAN it, just calmed my hair down after the pre-shower brush, and sleeping on it. And I did scrub the conditioner into my scalp, I think. So then on the following day, it would be greasy enough to shampoo again. Now I'm cutting down to no more than every THREE days washing it, sometimes longer if I don't have to go out. And I'm occasionally washing with soapnuts, slowly trying to cut down on SLS. How long does it take for your hair to get greasy?

When you say some use diluted poo with their CWC.... is that sulfate shampoo? I tried that recently, too.... but I guess it was too diluted for me, 'cuz I was only slightly cleaner, and greasy by the next day.

Last question.... I hear about VO5 a lot.... is it recommended for CO just 'cuz it's cheap & maybe has no cones (is that ALL VO5 have no cones?) or does it have some sort of mild cleaning agent in it that works better for CO than richer conditioners? 'Cuz when I do condition, I've always used pretty heavy duty conditioners, not light ones. Maybe you can't CO with heavy conditioners... like say, Nexus Humectress or Paul Mitchell Hair Repair? I just bought some Suave Naturals conditioner with the intent to try a henna gloss before my next (2nd ever) hendigo application. Maybe I'd have better luck trying a CO with that than my other conditioners? I'm enjoying all the experimenting. :) Thanks so much for your advice.

AmericanWoman
February 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Is my scalp oily..... hmmmm.... my hair starts getting greasy around the scalp 2 days after washing it, I'd say. Is that oily or normal? For yrs I've washed (w/ SLS shampoos) every other day. On the in between day, I just wet scrubbed it, or just conditioned it. But those things didn't CLEAN it, just calmed my hair down after the pre-shower brush, and sleeping on it. And I did scrub the conditioner into my scalp, I think. So then on the following day, it would be greasy enough to shampoo again. Now I'm cutting down to no more than every THREE days washing it, sometimes longer if I don't have to go out. And I'm occasionally washing with soapnuts, slowly trying to cut down on SLS. How long does it take for your hair to get greasy?

When you say some use diluted poo with their CWC.... is that sulfate shampoo? I tried that recently, too.... but I guess it was too diluted for me, 'cuz I was only slightly cleaner, and greasy by the next day.

Last question.... I hear about VO5 a lot.... is it recommended for CO just 'cuz it's cheap & maybe has no cones (is that ALL VO5 have no cones?) or does it have some sort of mild cleaning agent in it that works better for CO than richer conditioners? 'Cuz when I do condition, I've always used pretty heavy duty conditioners, not light ones. Maybe you can't CO with heavy conditioners... like say, Nexus Humectress or Paul Mitchell Hair Repair? I just bought some Suave Naturals conditioner with the intent to try a henna gloss before my next (2nd ever) hendigo application. Maybe I'd have better luck trying a CO with that than my other conditioners? I'm enjoying all the experimenting. :) Thanks so much for your advice.

I use mainly VO5 for CO because it's cheap and light conditioners seem to work best. Vo5 Oasis has cones, the others are cone-free. (in US anyway)I use shampoo every 2 weeks now.. I Co every 4 days in winter. My hair doesn't really get greasy unless it's oiled. I use a heavier condish after rinsing out my CO. I like to do a herb wash at least once a month. I'd do it more often, but it's a bit time consuming and I have to plan in advance. I find watering down the CO condish works well, also.

Accodion
February 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I just bought one of the Hair One things from Sally's about an hour or two ago =) I got the dry scalp formula because I have a dry itchy scalp. And I love anything tea tree <3 Reading through the comments on the Sally's page (this was a whim purchase, so I figured I'd read the reviews), it's compared to Wen a lot, and a couple people said they liked it better.

I was thinking of going to take a shower and try it out right now, so I'll let you guys know how well it works.

If it works as well as it smells... Hoo boy =B

plainjanegirl
February 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
I just bought one of the Hair One things from Sally's about an hour or two ago =) I got the dry scalp formula because I have a dry itchy scalp. And I love anything tea tree <3 Reading through the comments on the Sally's page (this was a whim purchase, so I figured I'd read the reviews), it's compared to Wen a lot, and a couple people said they liked it better.

I was thinking of going to take a shower and try it out right now, so I'll let you guys know how well it works.

If it works as well as it smells... Hoo boy =B

Yes come back and tell us how you like the results from it? Does it have any cones in it? What makes it different from a 2in1 I wonder?

Accodion
February 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Yes come back and tell us how you like the results from it? Does it have any cones in it? What makes it different from a 2in1 I wonder?
I'm not sure about the other varieties (there's one with olive oil for dry/damaged hair, a cucumber one for normal hair, etc), but for mine the 4th ingredient listed is Amodimethicone.

Accodion
February 3rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
My hair is still wet, so I don't know how it'll be when it's dry, but so far I'm very happy.

My scalp has a very pleasant, mild, 'minty tingling' coolness. That hard to describe sensation that we all know lol.

At first, I wasn't sure what to think about how many pumps it called for. 8-10 on the crown, 8-10 at the nape, and then 10-20 throughout the middle shafts and ends, depending on your length. However, each pump only gives a small amount of product, so overall, it wasn't so bad. About what you'd use of shampoo/conditioner combined if you're a bit heavy handed. I feel like my hair really liked it.

It doesn't lather much, but is a rich formula. Like a normal conditioner. However, even with little lather, I still feel like it got my hair nice and clean.

It's still wet, so I'll wait to see when it's fully dry, but it feels like my ends aren't as dry and frizzy as normal.

In a nutshell: It's a little too early (since I'm still wet) to form a full opinion, but I'm very very happy with this product. Definitely worth the $10.

Accodion
February 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
95% dry, and I can honestly say that I'm in love with this stuff. It's a lot cheaper than Wen. While I've never used it, I don't have any desire to.

My ends are kind of dry and crispy, but they're not nearly as bad as normal even after just one use of this stuff.

My hair is very shiny, and sleek, and far less frizzy.

My insane halo (complete with devil horns!) lies flat against my head, with just a touch of its natural waviness to it.

So my verdict still stands. I'm very happy with this product.

Also, my scalp isn't itchy! There's still a bit of flakes, but I might not have gotten it rinsed out well enough. Poor water pressure, and I was hurried along by my mother =P

Hair One - Dry Scalp Formula (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cleansing-Conditioner/HARONE01,default,pd.html)

vv
February 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I use Wen, and I love it! It has being a long time since my has was this long(waist) Besides the price I have no complaints!

Cimorene
February 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM
My Mom gave me a bottle of Wen conditioner that a friend from work had given to her. Mom didn't like the mint-herb smell of it, and generally isn't a big fan of fancy, expensive stuff. I gave it a try and my hair liked it, but I didn't like the smell so much, either. I'm not sure what my Mom's friend paid for it, but since it has pretty much the same ingredients as cheaper cone conditioners, I'm sure it isn't worth the inflated price.

Wreynn
March 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Since finding the long hair community I have been using the conditioner only method for my fine, brittle, processed hair and been happier with it than with anything else I have tried, including homemade natural products, boughten expensive and inexpensive products. I recently heard about a line called "Wen" and wonderd if anyone has tried it....it sounds basically like a C/O product line.

I dyed my hair to dark dark brown. My boyfriend loves it, but I am not liking the upkeep or the havoc on condition that it is resulting in and the quick grey rooties! Am thinking of starting the henna stuff.....have done it before and resulted in very very red hair. So will be checking in to learn more from you experienced henna-ers!

Thumper
March 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Ok I'll admit I was watching the info merchial this morning, but I am intrigued by this.
What do you all think?? Here is the site:

http://www.wenhaircare.com/

SHELIAANN1969
March 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM
You can get the same or better results by using any store bought conditioner. It's overpriced. :D

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM
And it's not cone-free, if I remember correctly, so I don't know how exactly you solve build-up issues...they might not happen, as cones don't ALWAYS build up, but eh.

Sheilaann is right. I'd try CO first and see what you think--cheaper conditioners contain a cleansing ingredient that'll work just as well if your hair takes to it. Bismuth...something, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm far from a chemist, but it supposedly loosens dirt and oil without overly stripping if it has enough time and elbow grease. Or something like that. XD;

Mamakash
March 27th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm far from a chemist, but it supposedly loosens dirt and oil without overly stripping if it has enough time and elbow grease. Or something like that. XD;

Supposedly, it's the friction from working/rubbing the conditioner into the scalp and hair that releases the excess hair oils and dirt . . . hair doesn't get "dirty" that often, so all that most people need to get rid of is excess oil.

I've seen the Wen infomercial several times and the products look yummy, but they are overpriced and with the size cleansing conditioner bottle, it looks like it would get used up pretty fast. The conditioner is (supposedly) very thick and you'll use more of it than you need. On the other hand, thin conditioners do a better job and, being a dollar or two a bottle, you can slather on as much as you like without feeling wasteful. The scents/flavors are just as nice as Wen.

I would try his styling cream . . . but at 20 dollars a bottle, I could find a salon version that's just as good for half the price.

Copasetic
March 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I just watched this informercial the other day. I admit to being kind of interested; but thats what ads are intended for.

Someone already mentioned this, but a couple of their products have cones in them, so I am not sure how that works with the whole sls-free thing.

I'm sure these products work for some people, but the basic principle of co-washing and being sls-free can be achieved for far less money. They aren't worth buying, IMO.

lunagoose
March 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I will stick to my $2 bottle of conditioner just like the people above me, way too expensive for me. I've heard that for long hair you need 30 pumps of the cleansing conditioner per washing which can very according to thickness meaning you will run out of product pretty fast.

ItsMyHair
March 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I tried it recently. On the plus side, it smelled heavenly. I got the Lavender set. And, I think it would be beneficial to those people with really damaged hair. It does have cones and oils and it's pretty heavy. All it did was weigh my hair down and make it look greasy and limp. I gave it my best try and then gave the whole set to my cousin who flat-irons daily.

Madame J
March 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
There's a WEN thread. Search "wen*" to get around the character minimum in the search.

Dolly
March 30th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It is WAAAAAAY overpriced.....I used it before I came here and learned to CO wash with el cheapo conditioners, which do actually work better.....I use cones on a regular basis, and don't normally have to clarify too terribly often but the ones in WEN caused horrible buildup, and I was clarifying a couple times a month....

aisling
March 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Use the tags to search, there's a lot more about this in another thread.

fairytalegirl
May 31st, 2010, 06:22 AM
Wondering if anyone has tried the WEN line of hair products. I did a search and couldn't find anything. I would like your opinions and thoughts. Or direct me if there is already something out there on this subject. Thanks!