PDA

View Full Version : What do guys think of updos?

Kat Girl
March 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I'm just curious to hear what guys opinions are of updos.

Like most other ladies on here I love the beautiful updos I see and I like to do the ones I can and look forward to being able to do more as my hair grows. But I'm just curious to know if any of the guys appreciate the different updos or if they all look the same to a guy, or if guys prefer hair down. So can I get any thoughts/opinions from guys or from ladies who have asked the guys in their lives?

alipes
March 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
My husband is a big fan of ponytails, even though I know that's not really a popular one around here since they can still tangle so easily. As far as buns go, he's tolerant at worst and likes them at best, I think. I started experimenting with buns just recently, but he thinks as long as there's a variety they're cute, especially with some decoration to it like hair sticks.

Honestly though, I think guys are less interested in updos and more interested in seeing long hair down in some fashion (or at least mine seems to feel that way!)

Kherome
March 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM
My thought has always been, if my hair is a big deal to a guy, he's not a keeper.

That said, my DH doesn't appear to care one way or the other, up, down...though he complains when it's down that I get hair everywhere. :rolleyes:

melrose1985
March 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM
My guy friend, when I asked if he likes my hair up or down better, said down. But he said it's because he like long hair and likes to see it down.

But this also could be because I stink of updo and don't know how to do them so he's never seen a pretty updo on me.

NorCal
March 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
My husband doesn't really like when I wear my hair up. I don't do anything very fancy to it though, he likes a braid better than a bun. He usually compliments me when I wear it half up.

I have heard a guy friend say he likes hair up because he likes to see a girl's neck.

Nevvie
March 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM
My boyfriend notices the differences but usually doesn't comment. Every great, great now and then he'll make a comment along the lines of 'That looks cool' or 'That's interesting, how long did that one take to do?' but 99% of the time he says nothing at all. He prefers my hair down and likes when I let it go curly (which is rare, I'm a straightening addict) but even when I wear it that way I only get a few comments from him. My brother and (male) roommate are about the same. They almost never comment on my hair at all but the uber rare compliments I do get from them are when my hair is down.

My son on the other hand, (who's only 5) notices and comments on EVERYTHING. The last time I dyed my hair from a dark brown to slightly darker/richer brown he noticed immediately and asked me 'where I got that hair from'. In fact he was the only person, male or female, to notice the subtle difference. He's obsessed with my hair sticks (he actually wears them himself sometimes) and notices every new bun, even if it's just a slight variation from one I've worn before. He enjoys telling my what they look like, such as 'a ball' or 'a doughnut' or 'a twisty thing' or 'a flower' ect. Of course his attention to detail sometimes backfires - the other day when I was oiling my hair before a wash he made sure to let me know how ugly he thought my hair was. And if I blow dry my hair (which results in what I call my 'fro - slightly frizzy and HUGE) he immediately tells me to 'fix it' meaning smooth it down. But I guess it's still nice to have SOMEONE who notices my hair, lol.

selderon
March 24th, 2011, 02:00 PM

That's like asking what men think about pants.

And now I'm curious what DH thinks. He wanted me to grow my hair long and keeps arguing that I can do so much more with it when it is long, but I have no idea whether he likes it up, down or makes no difference...

ETA: I called DH to see what he thinks. At first he was guarded and suspicious. I'm not the kind of girl to ask his opinion and then be upset about it, but he's still afraid he might break some secret rule. He finally allowed as to how he likes variety in my hair, so whether it is up or down it's all good as long as it changes.

summerjade
March 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
My husband likes my hair down. He compliments me when it's down sometimes. When it's up he says nothing except maybe, " I like your hair better down".

bte
March 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I have to say that I prefer styles that show at least most of the length, but I admire the effort and skill of making a really good updo.

Coan-Teen
March 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
My husband also likes my hair better down because it frames my face, but I think it's also kind of primal.

Mrs. D
March 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I thought I would ask the token male here at the office his opinion:
Thursday, March 24, 2011
(1:47 PM) Shannon: Do guys like long hair down or up in bun, braid, updo etc?
(1:48 PM) Chris: I prefer to shave mine
(1:48 PM) Chris: #4 up top, #2 on the sides
(1:48 PM) Shannon: On women silly
(1:48 PM) Chris: i don't know anybody who's excited about a bun
(1:48 PM) Chris: maybe quakers
(1:48 PM) Chris: or princess lea ******ists
(1:49 PM) Shannon: Really...

Hiriel
March 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Thursday, March 24, 2011

Haha :D
To be fair, most guys I know are very fond of Princess Leia.

My boyfriend likes long hair, and therefore likes ponytails, braid and hair down, as the length is visible. But he also thinks my updos are neat. I don't think he feels very strongly on the subject. :p

lillylonghair
March 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM
My husband loves to see my neck and shoulders but he also loves the occassions that I wear it down.

torrilin
March 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Braids make my partner happy. Single braids are bestest in his mind. But he does like variety, and as long as I'm not wearing twin braids and looking about 10, he's pretty happy.

Braidy
March 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
My boyfriend likes my hair down or in braids (any type) but he isn't too fond of buns because he thinks they make me look too severe ;)

RavennaNight
March 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM
^^ LMAO Mrs D!

DH doesn't like buns. He teases me and calls me "TEACHER!!" :shrug: He's not a fan of braids either. I don't like buns because they pull my hair. He loves ponytails, though.

PiroskaCicu
March 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
DBF likes my hair in a high ponytail, and LOVES double french braids. Last week he commented that my bun was "pretty".

However I know he likes my hair down more because he likes petting/playing with it. =)

Slinks
March 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
my DH says down too .. he likes it in a half updo, he likes my stix ..

AndreaPetrea
March 24th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Everytime I wear my hair up (even a horrible messy updo for when I wash my face), my boyfriend tells me that I look "cute". But I'm wondering if he would notice the difference between two different updos...

QMacrocarpa
March 24th, 2011, 03:48 PM
My husband is pretty supportive of my updo habit. He seems to like seeing new updo's as well as recognizing familiar ones.

elbow chic
March 24th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Thursday, March 24, 2011

ha!

I'm not sure mine really cares about hair one way or the other. I really think I could shave it all off and he would be fine with it. It was pixie-short when we were dating, and has gotten gradually longer in the years since-- it doesn't seem to put him off but he also doesn't seem all that excited about it.

He's a boob guy, not a hair guy.

Alun
March 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Down

Now I need to type more words to get up to the minimum

Fingolphin
March 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I absolutely love updos, on just about anyone. There are so many amazing and differently endless things you can do.

trilobite
March 24th, 2011, 04:42 PM
My husband has always hated my hair long, but he's not that domineering so he doesn't say anything about it. He thinks I should wear it like "everyone else", but he has always been a believer in "suburban camouflage" and generally he has a point. I started wearing my hair up every day, so it was less noticeable, plus I love hairtoys. I noticed that I have more confidence and stand up straighter when my hair is up.
Also, I am training my teenage sons to have a positive future with women by encouraging them to notice and compliment my hairstyles.

Zefyra
March 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
DBF loves that Im growing my hair out. He likes to be able to see it and play with it, but always tells me to clip my bangs back (they're at that obnoxious in between length...). I havent directly asked him whether he likes it up or down better. I tend to prefer having my hair down though, at least at this point... I should ask him eventually which he likes... I do know he thinks pigtails and braids are cute though...

selderon
March 25th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Also, I am training my teenage sons to have a positive future with women by encouraging them to notice and compliment my hairstyles.

Smart woman! And lucky boys, although they probably haven't figured that out yet. I'll have to remember this when/if I have a boy.

einna
March 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
My DBF likes it down (and longish). I did a sock bun, and he said it looked like a granny style. Maybe it will go better when I can do other updoes, and put pretty flowers and hairtoys in (he complimented the flexi-8s). Half-ups also seems to be ok. ;)

Mrs. D
March 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Asked dh and he said that he likes it all ways. Except the magic bun. He hates the magic bun hair implement.

GeoJ
March 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
My DH prefers down, but he also said that the hair is about the last thing he'll notice on a woman.

CarpeDM
March 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I get a lot of looks from guys when I wear my hair down and especially when I wear my hair in braided pigtails, I'm not sure why but men seem to like that style a lot...can any guys possibly elaborate on why this might be the case?

exclusively di
March 25th, 2011, 09:40 AM
My guy likes my hair up. I do a lot of different things with it, have a LOT of toys, and wear it soft around my face.

CarpeDM
March 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Down

Now I need to type more words to get up to the minimum

This made me laugh :)

Tiina
March 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
DH likes it better down but he also seems to like when I use hairtoys (or jewelry in general actually). He wishes me to wear it down more often but respects that I don't want it to get in the way with the baby and all the housework. I don't know if he notices the difference between my updos much but then again I don't have very much variety at this length.

ETA - I just remembered he once said "Oh, your hair is almost long enough to make Heidi braids now :)" so I think he might like at least that one. Alas, it still isn't long enough for that.

trolleypup
March 25th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I like it down, I like it up, I appreciate a particularly nicely done updo, just like I like good looking down hair. Either one or none (#2 on the sides...) can look good/pretty/sexy. Some styles look better on some people...usually, having the hair YOU want to have looks the best...and however you feel like wearing it. Be yourself!

That said, my hair is usually up in a practical bun, unless I am in the mood to show off or enjoy it down.

knux
March 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
My boyfriend loves to play with my hair. He is always running his fingers through it, or playing with the ends. He has never said that he prefers it down, but when its up, and he tries to play with it, he makes this annoyed grunting noise and sort of pouts when I tell him to stop because he's messing it up.

When I asked my (male) roommate, he said that he just likes it when a girls hair is touchable, and if it's up he likes it soft around the face.

Firefox7275
March 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I get a lot of looks from guys when I wear my hair down and especially when I wear my hair in braided pigtails, I'm not sure why but men seem to like that style a lot...can any guys possibly elaborate on why this might be the case?

Not sure if you are messing or you actually want an explanation ... :o It's the schoolgirl thing or 'handles' during indoor activities or both those interests hand-in-hand IYSWIM. BTW I am not a guy.

Beatnik Guy
March 27th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I like it down, I like it up
Exactly. :cool:

Updos are cool, particularly when big. :thud:

Gumball
March 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Given that I'm here, I think I'm a little biased. Just like trolleypup, up or down, hair can look great. I like all sorts of up styles, but I always put my hair up so I'm partial. I just notice hair. :shrug:

I agree. If the person likes what they did, all the better!

I don't know many others guys (really barely any outside of this forum) who care any more than the slightest bit about updos. The only other one is a longhair, too.

MissManda
March 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
My DBF likes my hair down or half-up. He doesn't seem fond of most updos, but he's complimented me on a couple. He prefers braids, which is a good thing because I like them better than buns. He also likes ponytails, pigtails, rope braids, and the folded English braid. :)

telegraph64
March 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
DH doesn't mind either way. He likes to see it in milkmaid braids with ribbons tied at the ends, and I myself love the look. All men that I've ever met, well, gentlemen, that is, have not had a preference, but have "gravitated" towards soft, elegant up-dos and braids.

Beatnik Guy
March 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I just notice hair. :shrug:

Yes. I guess we're weirdos. :silly:

dollface
March 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM
my fiancee likes it down but has only recently started to comment about it most likely due to the fact that i've been taking better care of it thanks to LHC!

i prefer braids and updos personally.

keepmyhair
March 29th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I think simple updos look really nice on women.

BritishBraider
March 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My ex (who used to have dreads) liked my hair up and down, and would be amazed at what I could do with it, especially 'fountains' where it spilt over the top of a hair clip. But he was easily amazed, having had a very sheltered upbringing.....

Monsterkitti
March 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I think DBF prefers it down except when it gets in his way / sheds everywhere :) He hasnt ever said he dislikes buns but has said he never gets to see my hair anymore.

Norman
March 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Speaking as a man , I like hair loose or in a bun/updo, as long as it is well groomed and cared for.The loose buns often portrayed by Jane Seymour are among my favourites along with braided crowns and braided loops worn on the back of the neck.

Vijikanth
March 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Updo's give versatility to the hairstyle. ButI love long hair...So I would like to see it long and flowing..especially if it is worn in a ponytail slightly high.

WaitingSoLong
March 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM
My husband likes the double braids as well, especially if it is double french braided all the way down. He has never said why. I tend to think that men think more simply, and they don't need reasons why. Heck, even I do not always know WHY I like something, I JUST DO. Beauty is in the eye and all that...

I have recieved 2 comments from men on my up-dos. Both were comments, not necesarily compliments (this is IRL not on LHC). Actually, now that I think about it, I have never received them from women either. Only ONE hairstyle that I cannot seem to do anymore received rave compliments.

I definitely get a lot more looks from men with my hair down, or at least showing the length like in long braids or pigtails or a ponytail.

But I agree with what has already been iterated...the hair is not usually what they are looking at first. However on me, it is probably the ONLY thing I have worth noticing ;) Hey...it's just fact.

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM
But I agree with what has already been iterated...the hair is not usually what they are looking at first. However on me, it is probably the ONLY thing I have worth noticing ;) Hey...it's just fact.

It's an opinion, not a fact. I bet there's a lot more to you than hair.

david
March 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Well from my point of view I like either. Updos are great and change things up a bit but I do love to see hair long and flowing, especially if its well cared for. I'm one of those people who don't understand people who wear their hair up all the time.

MeganE
March 29th, 2011, 01:54 PM
The men I've known seem to like the messy bun. It's the only hairstyle that they ever seem to show any sort of preference for. I think the rest of them are often all the same to them. :) I'm interested to see how they respond in a year or so when I have longer and healthier hair... will they like it when it's down? Good thread idea!

LisaMonster
March 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
My boyfriend actually said this week that he prefers my hair down during the day and up at night?

Sweetie
March 29th, 2011, 03:02 PM
...my husband says he definetely prefers to see my hair down....but he knows I love braiding so much that he never complains!!!

princessp
March 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM
DH says "they don't like them, we want to see your hair all wild". Lol.

Malibu Barbie
March 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I get nice comments both ways so I guess it depends on the guy.

owlathena
March 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
DBF likes my hair up. He complains sometimes when I wear it down that it gets in his face or I'll yell at him when he leans on it or pulls it somehow. When we first started dating, I told him I liked his beard and he said "If you wear your hair like a sexy librarian (meaning in a bun of some sort. I wear glasses and to him, glasses+bun=librarian) then I wont shave." So for a couple months, he grew out his beard and I wore my hair up more often. But I wear it down or half up most of the time now, as thats how I like it.

Lostsoule77
March 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM
My FI doesn't really care. I know that he likes long hair, but never really comments on it up or down (except to complain about it getting everywhere.) LOL I told him the other day that I wanted to try growing to classic length and he said he didn't care it's my hair, whatever makes me happy. I've had other men tell me to never cut it, but that's about it.

Now this thread has made me curious and I think I'm gonna have to ask some guys irl their opinion (if they have one.) :)

Druid of Alba
March 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm a guy. I really like hair worn down, but I think hair worn back can look nice occasionally. I'm personally not a fan of fancy styles, I like natural styles, like a loose messy bun, or a braid over one shoulder. Overly formal styles look to unnatural for my taste. But as long as you like it, it's fine :)

MaryRose
March 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM
My hair is just past my shoulders so it is very managable to wear it down. I enjoy wearing my hair down and will usually put it up if I am doing housework or cooking. My husband is confused I think. I had my hair in many different lengths in which he liked them all. The one length he loved was BSL in layers. Once the layers grew out he complained about it being plain. We lived way down south where long hair was not a good idea so I cut it all off to a pixie. He liked it for about a year and then asked if I would grow it out which is what I am doing right now. Now he likes it at this length but is being supportive with my wish to grow longer. I know for sure that he likes my hair down and if worn up only half up with barrets. He absolutely hates a half ponytail put in a scrunchy. For the most part he rarely comments about my hair unless he hates or loves it. From what I have gathered over the years is he loves my hair reguardless of length as long as it is down with pretty hair accessories.

noel11
March 29th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Ha ha. I once had a guy that I was pretty close with, unfortunately life happened, and we're out of contact now, but the strange little apple, met me when my hair was in a bob and growing out, as soon as it hit long enough to throw into a pony tail it was up, which he loved, in comparison to my straight down. But when it got longer, he'd beg me to wear it down... or rag curl it. :D He also loved buns. He always would blame his polygamous great-great grandfather for passing down those genes. But he loved them for the fact my hair would be wavy afterward. I miss that guy... I should throw him an email one of these days. But he would like my hair down because I'd let him play with it. So... :D

trilobite
July 20th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I have worn my hair up almost every day since I discovered where I could buy hair sticks. I am always looking for new ways to wear it.

Raiscake
July 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM
^^ LMAO Mrs D!

DH doesn't like buns. He teases me and calls me "TEACHER!!" :shrug: He's not a fan of braids either. I don't like buns because they pull my hair. He loves ponytails, though.

I'm a teacher so does that mean I'm permitted to wear buns? :D

DBF thinks my obsession with buns is just another one of those girl things. He does like my hair done, but I appeal to his practical side by saying it's too hot to leave my hair down all the time.

Springlets
July 21st, 2011, 01:40 AM
I rarely wear my all the way up since I don't think it looks good on me, but whenever I do my bf usually says how cute I look. He's very excited for me to grow my hair long and I think he will like it generally down because he loves to play with it. But once I can do some of the more intricate updos I think he will be quite impressed and admire them. However I imagine they will not last long as practically everyday we're together I get makeout hair.:D

Gypsygirl
July 21st, 2011, 01:51 AM
Basically I think my husband is happy if I am happy but if he gets to choose, he always asks me to wear it down. He also told me that he thinks that ponytails look "ok" a couple of days ago- but that he doesn't really like buns or braids. Oh well. ;)

IanB
July 21st, 2011, 02:07 AM
I have to be honest and say that I prefer hair down. There's something about those free flowing locks that I find so attractive, buit I do understand the occasional updo for formal occasions - but bring on that "free spirit" :)

nazzooyzo
July 21st, 2011, 05:35 AM
My bf loves my hair up. For some reason he likes me showing my neck. And for that reason he liked it when i had a pixie. At the moment all i can do is a simple ponytail and a small bun but in the future when i do braids and stuff he might not be a fan.. i dont care anyway!

Jezerellica
July 21st, 2011, 06:22 AM
I have two to report. High school boyfriend liked it up. He said he like to see my neck and liked the little hairs that sort of fall out and curl by the neck. Now ex-H said he thought buns looked old and "Unhot" on me. Does this mean he felt differently about them on other women. No idea whatsoever.

JuliaDancer
July 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM
I usually wear my hair up or in braids, but my boyfriend prefers my hair down. Sometimes when we're going out and I don't have a particular hairstyle in mind, I'll ask him what hairstyle I should do, and he'll almost always say down, unless it's hot. Then I guess he feels bad requesting I leave all this hair lying down my back. He does love my "vintage styles" though, when I do updos (usually buns) with the front face layers curled and set. But he still loves when we come home and I brush it out at night afterward. He tells me I have pretty hair often when I brush it.

knittingyogini
July 21st, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'll have to ask Hubby what he prefers during the day. I know he likes it braided at night. He claims that it gets in his face while he's sleeping. I claim its a valid defense--he tries to sleep with his face pressed against the back of my neck and then snores right into the base of my skull.

Cania
July 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
My boyfriend prefers my hair down, but also likes it when it's up, as long as I leave little bits hanging down at the front. He doesn't like it all pulled back.

ashke50
July 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
My fiance prefers my hair down, although he understands why I wear it up most of the time, and if it makes me happy he is happy.

He thinks it looks nicer down (it does!) and he likes to run his hands through it too.

He has started recognising different buns though, which I was impressed by.

LawyerGirl
July 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
DH doesn't think much about hair. If I shaved it off I don't know that he would notice. Having said that, he tends to compliment me more on my hair when it's half-up, because I think he likes it down but appreciates that some effort went into it. He doesn't like my hair up but that might be because that's my lazy, "I haven't showered yet" hair... also my hair isn't long enough to do do a whole lot with yet, so that might taint DH's view :-P

racrane
July 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
My boyfriend doesn't really notice hair styles, just if it's up or down. If we're *alone*, he likes to pull my hair down. But he likes whatever I do, so I can't help you much in particulars, just that he likes them and especially likes taking them down. :D

Cowgirl16
July 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM
My DH likes the buns but would like me to wear it down more :)

Schipperchow
July 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'm not a guy, but I've had many guys ask why do I have long hair & keep it in a bun...but they said they'd rather I keep it long & in a bun, like a secret, than cut it & wear it out:p

Cainwen
July 21st, 2011, 01:16 PM
My husband is kinda funny about my hair. He does like to play with it down sometimes, but he likes it best when it is in a low bun. If its loose he'll take the hair tie off my wrist and try to restrain it (it kinda goes everywhere when its loose, admittedly). If its in a high bun he'll wear a 'sad puppy look' till I put it lower. But so long as its on the nape of my neck, he don't notice/care what I do with it.

However, to echo others earlier in this thread, he does keep asking when my hair will be long enough to do Princess Leia buns :D

Aerin
July 21st, 2011, 01:37 PM
My boyfriend has commented that he really likes it when I french braid my hair (2 braids), and that it's really pretty. And then he takes it out because he likes to run his fingers through it. Sigh...up it's pretty, down it's nice to play with. He can't make up his mind (though I don't mind).

PianoPlaye
July 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
My DH seems to prefer it down, but blinking at some of the LHC photos is awed at the beauty & complexity of some of the braided buns. I suspect his ideal is the glorious complex braid, where only he knows which pin to tug & it all magically cascades down...

QueenJoey
July 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
This probably doesn't mean much, but when my little brother was a toddler, he would get mad at my mom for wearing her hair down and demand she put it in a ponytail. He just loved her ponytails.

Also, I was babysitting my friend's 3yo nephew the other day, and I had my hair in a cinnamon bun. I took it down cuz it was flopping all over the place. When he saw me, he immediately asked what I had done to my hair and said it looked prettier before.

However, my guy friends who are my age say they prefer when long hair is down.

Kristin
July 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
In my experience, men like hair better down. Since the men in my life know that I will chop my hair if I can't get it off my neck and back when necessary, when I ask them if I should cut I hear, "Oh, but you can do so much with it now....". And yet they never stare more intently than when I let my hair OUT of any updo. And they are fascinated by the physical landmarks it reaches.

twilight_faerie
July 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
From what I can tell, I think most men don't really care about women's hair. DBF doesn't really care about hairstyles; he likes braids, but I think that's just because *I* like braids. I think he tends to see my hair being loose when we're cuddling as troublesome, since he always ends up on top of it, which makes me scream.

david
July 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Well I may be biased since im a long hair guy. But can I be greedy and say I like both.lol.

There's nothing to beat a girl with long healthy hair loose:) but I do like to see updo's too. Especially intricate ones. If one of my friends wears their hair in a great looking updo etc I will give them a compliment and ask how they done it etc. So yes I'll be greedy and say I like both.

ddiana1979
July 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
My husband likes it up or down, but every time I wear a simple bun with a Ficcare, I get compliments from him. I think if he knew how much Ficcare's cost (I bought all of them before we were married, with my own money), I wouldn't get quite so many compliments. ;)

RitaCeleste
July 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
I think my SO prefers it down. He makes me take it down before I go out with him. Mainly the pencil I was using as a hair stick annoyed him. When I get my hair sticks we'll see if he lets me go out with it up. He said it looked short the first time he saw it up. I explained I still had the hair and could take it down in seconds and bad hair cut takes a lot longer to get over. He seemed relieved it wasn't an actual cut. He likes salon looks on other people. I've been to salons but my cuts never got rave reviews, no one liked them on me (including me). I'm letting him get use to the idea there won't be any trips to a salon in my future. Change will be updo's that don't destroy my hair. Style is gonna be the coolest hair toys I can get my hands on. I think he'll like the look of combs and hair sticks as it will be a more polished look than a bad haircut or my wild waves going everywhere.

kidari
July 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
My husband prefers long hair over short in general but likes short hair on some women. I've had really short hair before and he has requested I never cut it above shoulders again. He said he wants to see me in waist length hair but I get compliments all the time whether it's down or it's up but I get the most compliments from him if it's in a high messy updo or if it's down with loose curls.

constantki
July 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
My DBF likes it in braids, when it's down my hair just gets everywhere!

citadel
July 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
My husband will usually opt for my hair to be down, but sometimes when I show him two looks, he'll look up from his book and say, "up". Those are surprising moments.

neko_kawaii
July 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
"What's an updo? Is that a flock of seagulls?"

I'm not sure he notices ANYONE'S hair.

Calaelen
August 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Now that I am past classic, updos are my best friend:) Loose, and flowing, is a special occasion thing, or if I am going for a particular look. I have quite the repertoire of dos, and MANY gorgeous toys to display in them, and as a unabashed toy addict, I couldn't give up my updos even if I wanted to.

P.S. Gypsygirl, I bet I could do an updo on you that your husband would LOVE ;)

KrissyKitty
August 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
When I had long hair, the boyfriend preferred it all the way down during the day. Except during uh, bed time, when he complained about what he called "games of ouch, ouch, you're on my hair."
Otherwise, he seriously hates half-up hair. He thinks it looks "horsey", on all women, not just me. I generally ignore him on this one because I think it's stupid and I liked having my hair down but the front out of my face. But he feels very strongly about it..

Bill D.
August 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
I prefer seeing long hair down and the longer the better, as long as it's healthy and pretty. That said, I've long been aware from having my own long hair that it's often important to put long hair up or otherwise restrain it to protect it, to avoid unsafe conditions, or just for comfort. Elizabeth's hair is usually up as a matter of practicality, given its length. My own hair is in a ponytail on workdays, when I am busy, and in warm weather, but it's a treat to let it loose when doing so is comfortable.

That said, I love seeing updos and braids on women. Unlike some men I prefer a single braid in back rather than two pigtails; I'm not into the schoolgirl look. I like a lot of the updos I see on this site. There are lots of ways for long hair to look beautiful!

Bill D.

arc691
August 4th, 2011, 02:43 AM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/doll-image472.gif

I was browsing through this thread, and remembered an article I came across a few weeks ago. It's called "Signals Your Hair Sends to a Guy" and I thought it was very interesting. Here's the link, if you'd like to see it:

http://style.uk.msn.com/fashion/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=157316187

trolleypup
August 4th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I was browsing through this thread, and remembered an article I came across a few weeks ago. It's called "Signals Your Hair Sends to a Guy" and I thought it was very interesting.
As a guy...*rolleyes* What a silly article. At least show people pictures of the same model with different hairstyles. And of course, all guys like the same thing.

Which is not to say that your hairstyle doesn't tend to help others make observations and decisions about who you are and how you want to present yourself.

spidermom
August 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I think it depends on what I'm doing at the time. My husband doesn't like to see my hair down when I'm cooking, for example.

He sees absolutely no difference between up-dos, however. There are only two ways my hair can be to him. Pulled back or down. That's it.

I don't see much difference between buns. A bun is a bun is a bun. They all look the same from the front.

Beatnik Guy
August 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
As a guy...*rolleyes* What a silly article.

:agree: and :rolleyes:

Shany
August 4th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I think they are not all the same. My DBF prefers my hair down, but still likes some updos and dislike when I wear the same updo often haha. My brother prefers updos than hair down.

bluequeequeg
August 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Both of the long term bfs I've had preferred my hair down, unless we were getting into certain activities, in which case the verdict was up and out of the way. Neither of them liked kissing through a mouthful of hair.

rbs22
August 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
My hubby likes mine down, for sure. Especially with a little flip at the ends. ;)

evampr18
August 4th, 2011, 10:59 PM
[quote=selderon;1533375]That's like asking what men think about pants.

THAT is too funny!!! I have to agree. All the men in my life prefer my hair down: my fiance, my dad, and my 4 yr old nephew (who's opinion is always the most honest). :D

Shoga
August 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
The only thing DBF ever said about my hairstyles is he likes it when it's "tousled". Fortunately for him, my hair has a tendency to do that all on it's own. x_x

EdG
August 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I was browsing through this thread, and remembered an article I came across a few weeks ago. It's called "Signals Your Hair Sends to a Guy" and I thought it was very interesting.I clicked through the silly article.

My only thought was "they could all use longer hair." :D
Ed

robynlh87
August 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I think my DBF likes it down, but also this it looks good in a standard high ponytail, he always say it looks so " bouncy" The only compliments he really gives is on how much he likes my hair period... not really on the style!

young&reckless
August 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
My SO only cares if he gets poked in the eye or face by a hair stick as we are about the same hieght. Then he takes said offendeing stick from me and I can wear it down or braid it but I'm not getting my stick back for a while.

myfrizzies
August 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
The few guys who notice my hair (and comment on it) say they like to see what or how I put it up. During my duty day it's just plain and simple because it has to be neat with no wispies. During an off duty day when it's hot I have it up in clips or now, pretty sticks.

Of the guy I date occasionally, he likes when I take it down at the end of the day because he says "...it's all crazy"

Lol. Boys are weird!

Monkey962
August 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I personally can't really say, since I've never really seen anyone with enough hair to get up around here. And if they do have enough hair, it's usually down. However, from what I've seen on this site, I think updos range from elegant to cute, and showing the nape of the neck is quite attractive, in my mind. I hope I don't get any flak for saying that...

PF Graham
August 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I've always preferred the women I'm with to wear their long hair down.

More fun to play with when we're sitting on the couch or just any time we're sitting together.

Some women hate to have their hair played with but others just love the physical nature of someone stroking or brushing their hair.

I would always ask my DXW to wear hers down. She didn't do fancy up-dos but rather just got it out of her way using her favorite hair toy - a sharp No. 2 pencil.

On special occasions, she would have someone do a fancy up-do but she hated it because the person that usually did it would use tons and tons of hair spray to keep it up. The next day, she would go crazy trying to wash all the crap out of her hair.

Overall, I would say down. It just shows off how beautiful long hair can be - be it over the shoulder or just straight down the back - usually it's a show stopper!

ilovelonghair
August 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Mine prefers my hair down (the hair sticks are dangerous)

He thinks I should wear it like "everyone else", but he has always been a believer in "suburban camouflage" and generally he has a point.

You mean he has a point in "suburban camouflage"? Why would one want to do that?

Laurenji
August 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
My husband has often said that he wishes that classy updos (like Audrey Hepburn) were more popular. And yet, he seems to like my hair down more than he likes it up. So I'm not exactly sure what he likes...

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Much like his opinion on the lenght of my hair, my fiance's opinion of up or down is 'I like your hair.' Followed by 'Whatever's easier on you is what I prefer.'

I sometimes suspect he says things because he worries about how for example heat is terribly hard on me (makes me faint), so I pointed out that if he had an opinion, it could influence how I wore my hair when it's cooler out.

Nope, same opinion. That he likes my hair.

I will say, he's a fan of the reveal at the end of the day when I take out my hairtoy and my hair falls down. It's usually right before I change out of the clothing I was wearing all day, so he often makes appreciative comments about the hair and, um, skin revealed.

As far as suburban camouflage, I think the idea is that you get hassled less if you look like everyone else. When you look different whether you want to or not (like, say, someone with a service dog like me) you at least occasionally have moments where you'd like a little less of people's attention on how you're different. I could certainly do without the staring and the bajillion comments I get about the dog.

~Blaze

Roseate
August 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The guy I'm seeing always comments on my hair when it's up, asks if the style has a name, compliments hairtoys. He's not as interested in it down; I mean, he likes it fine, but I think he just finds updos more unique and unusual.

I have to agree! I see long hair down all the time, but not as many updos other than a messy hair-elastic bun or the occasional cinnabun.

AnnaJamila
August 9th, 2011, 05:11 PM
DH always likes to see my hair up, but I think it may be because he gets to take it down and brush it at bedtime! Lol, he acts like he doesn't want to but . . . ;)

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I don't like it because of my ears :( I've got Dumbo-ears :(
I would looove to wear my hair up more often, just because it annoys me so often, but.. ahwell.

ETA: oooooh GUYS! I thought "you guys" :')
My ex loved my hair up, also so he could "see my face", but I hated it (see above xD)

milk
August 9th, 2011, 05:45 PM
My BF, likes my hair in a ponytail, because he "can see my face better", but I hate wearing it up for the same reason :doh:.

But if he would choose between up or down for the rest of my life, it would def be down.

ibleedlipstick
August 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
My dear sweet boyfriend is pretty chill as far as my hair goes. He loves how I look with it bunned and will actually comment on my sticks/the different buns. He likes it when it is down and flowy. I asked him point blank about it last year, and he was all like "I love you, no matter how much hair you have or if you shave your head."

However, now that my hair is just past BSL, he will ask me to braid it before we go to bed. We are semi long distance and the last time I saw him he commented on how "long" my hair has gotten. He loves to play with it (always gently, and I love the scalp massages he gives!) but it gets caught under us while we sleep and he doesn't like hurting me.

Sunsailing
August 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM

It depends on the updo, but as a general rule I LOVE updos.
I think one of the reasons is that it can show off a woman's neck.
Another reason is that it can give a woman a totally different look without cutting her hair.

I've only seen my wife in an updo a few times (our wedding, in other weddings...).
But I've always loved the different updos she's had.

Because I like updos does NOT mean that I don't like to see hair down.

Lady Malys
August 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
My DBF prefers long hair down. His hair is TBL and he wears it in a low pony or braid every day, but he likes my hair better when it is down.

Redbeetle36
August 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
My husband stated yesterday that he's bored of my hair being up all the time! I'm trying to grow it and currently it's only chin length but I can get two French braids each side which look neat and a bit different (round here anyway!) and that means I can oil it and forget about it. Oh well he can be bored for a little while longer! :0)

lunalesca
August 11th, 2011, 07:15 AM
My boyfriend loves it when I wear my hair down. An updo is also okay, but sometimes he asks me to open my bun ;)

He understands that it is important to wear the hair up to protect it from damage :)

trilobite
November 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Sorry to not reply for months, suburban camouflage is a term my husband invented (as far as I know) for dressing to blend in at work, middle class society, etc. It sounds more dramatic than it is. Long hair, especially with hair toys in it draws attention, in Utah at least.

Diamond.Eyes
November 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I just asked my SO what he likes better and he said "You look beautiful no matter what you do to your hair, but if I had to pick I would say down. It makes you look like a pretty goddess." haha. He's definitely a keeper! :heartbeat

fridgee
November 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
The only time DBF comments on my hair is if I've said something first, like 'my hair seems more curly today' he will say 'yeah it does'. Very very occasionally when we go out for an evening he will say 'you look nice' but its general not specifically hair based, though I think he prefers it down when putting the compliments together over the years. But so do I. He definitely wouldn't know the difference between two different updos, and teases me (good naturedly) if I've distractedly put my hair up with pens I've had to hand, forgotten and gone out like it!

jacqueline101
November 27th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I never asked mine I will have to ask him. I think he likes it down. He likes pony tails and they're partially up.

Jessfoz
November 27th, 2011, 07:05 AM
My husband seems to go against the general consensus, and it bugs me. I love beautiful long hair but he loves really short cute hair. I'm slowly converting him though!

Mayflower
November 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I don't have a boyfriend, but in general the guys I know like a girl to wear her hair down most of the time, and then up once in a while to shake things up. But with 'updo' guys mean a ponytail or a bun:p.
I have to say I get more attention from random guys at the street when my hair is down, and also a lot more than when my hair was short. Sigh, guys are cavemen.

Tota
November 27th, 2011, 07:36 AM
My bf prefers when my hair is down. He does not like updos or short hair on women, but loves ponytails and braids. Maybe because then he is able to see the length :) I used to have short hair and he didn't mind, but I did hear him once saying that a "real" woman has to have long hair. Usually I don't care much about this because even he knows it's stupid, but cannot help himself :rolleyes:

PlainLight
November 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM
When I first started wearing headcoverings I worried to DF that my hair was too long to stay under the covering, but he insisted that it was okay and he liked it better down! It has grown a lot since then and I keep it up nearly all the time. DF makes the occasional complaint that I look less feminine with my hair up. He'd also like to play with it... I tell him wait until we're married!

KwaveT
November 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I prefer either way. I notice the difference in updos even if I don't always know what they are called. I would be one that prefers a variety. Doing the same thing every single day would get a little boring to me. I guess I am a variety is the spice of life sort of person.

AMW
November 27th, 2011, 05:59 PM
DH likes my hair down. He does not care if I have my hair up around the house but to go out he always tells me to let my hair down so everyone can see how long it is. Poor guy thinks that MBL is long ... I should let him see some of the girls around here with REALLY long hair =)

catamonica
November 27th, 2011, 06:18 PM
My DH Likes my hair down. But I wear it up most of the time. I read it promtes growth & Protects the hair.

pinupdancer
November 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM
My DBF prefers my hair down. He enjoys playing with it, and on the occasion he delights in attacking it like a small child. :rolleyes: lol Buns are not his favorite, but side braids (especially fishtail) are okay. But I mean, none of it is a big deal to him.

Viperalus
November 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Replying at the thread starter, well it depends on the facial and body type of the woman.
A woman with slender facial characteristics with a slender and long neck, wearing an updo makes her looking very beautiful. And some times when the woman wants to draw attention, that updo helps very much ;)

I would say a woman on the opposite side not so much.

Either way though, I prefer to see the hair down most of the time.

Nevermore
November 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I asked the boyfriend and he said that he preferred it at least half down, with the rockabilly/pin up type poof in the front. He's big on the rockabilly style anyway though, which is the poof/victory rolls in the front and usually loose curls/waves in the back.

We do live in an area with a lot of Holiness and Pentecostal women though and he says that if I put my hair up completely, he'd be reminded of their hair styles.

battles
November 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I've gotten a few different opinions. One male friend says, "Put your hair up! Your face is way too pretty to be hiding."

Another says he prefers it down. Another prefers short hair, so I don't think he really cares. :p He always comments on how long my hair is getting, though.

Annibelle
November 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
SO prefers my hair down or in a half-up. :) He also likes my buns, though, when I manage to make a decent looking one. :p I can't speak for any other guys, though, since I don't really know any. :p

Helix
November 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Based on his reactions, my SO seems to prefer my hair in updos. I think. He sends me mixed messages, (he'll tell me he doesn't like one thing and then see me wearing that very same style one day and say he loves it).

The first time I ever heard him say "Wow, you look stunning," with a gobsmacked expression on his face I had my hair in an updo. He had barged into the bathroom intending to find out what was taking me so long, (we had dinner reservations), and just stopped dead in his tracks, lol. Happened a long time ago but I remember it like it was yesterday :crush:.

Then again, he's also told me he has a preference for long hair, (his idea of long isn't really that long, tbh). Whether this means he prefers it worn down, in a big blown out fro, (he loves my kinks), or long in an updo he did not say.

My guess is that if a guy loves you, then how you wear your hair probably doesn't matter all that much.

spike316
November 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I asked my boyfriend this the other day and he just said I can do whatever makes me happy with my hair as long as there's a variety to the styles.

Calaelen
November 28th, 2011, 12:13 AM
my husband likes it down best, but he also loves a lot of my more intricate up-dos.

saintleaken
November 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I very much appreciate the effort that goes into updos, I love the look of classic styles but hair is a tactile thing, isn't it, and I love to touch, so keep the overdone, spray held styles out of the picture and I'm happy. I hate when I hurt her by rolling on her hair. I plait mine daily for work but we leave our hair out to show it off when we go out together

slz
November 28th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Also one might remember that for a bundrop to happen, there must be a bun first .... 'nuff said :D .

naturegirl321
November 28th, 2011, 05:34 AM
My husband hates them. Says they make me look like an old lady!

racrane
November 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Every guy is different. But my boyfriend loves my hair up. He likes my neck showing.

But every person's likes and dislikes are different. If updo's are done well, guys will appreciate that.