PDA

View Full Version : When Should I Cut My Hair?

ElvenArchess
March 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hi there~ :3 So I've been wondering since I joined.. how often do you guys usually cut your hair? (Due to a ridiculous fiasco involving living in a small community with too much drama, I can no longer go to my usual hairdresser.).. I found a split end in my bangs this morning (one of those stupid little white spots that the hair broke off of at the end) and got very, very curious. Should I keep my split ends in check or simply let them grow out and not worry about it?

Ozzie
March 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I usuallt "dust" my hair once a month. I cut a millimeter or so. Prevents split ends and promotes hair growth :) I've found that hairdressers just wants to cut all my hair off so I never go to a salon..

ElvenArchess
March 24th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Oh, I see.. Okay. So you cut it yourself? o.o That's daring. Though I suppose I could always watch a few dozen YouTube videos on cutting evenly at the bottom. Thanks. :3

miss_purple
March 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm in "No trim for 2011" challenge so this years it says no cut for me. :D

xoxophelia
March 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
You and I seem to have a similar hair type. I'm guessing your hair is chemically colored black because that is about what mine looked like when I was dying it..

One thing you can do is what is called S&D (search an destroy). You can get some affordable hair cutting scissors at CVS or nearly anywhere and than only cut off your split ends when you find them just above the split.

You can also use Feye's Trimming Method to cut your own hair: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

I pretty much trim as needed but it depends on your goals too. Average hair grows about 6" a year so one option would be to cut .5" four times a year to gain 4" each year (every 3 months). If you are growing out damage like myself you may do trims more often and some do less.

RitaPG
March 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Depends on what kind of cut we're talking about.
If you're into growing it longer, you might just give it a tiny trim (I usually do it once or twice a year) to even out the hemline, and during the rest of the year, cut those split ends when you find them.

ElvenArchess
March 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
You and I seem to have a similar hair type. I'm guessing your hair is chemically colored black because that is about what mine looked like when I was dying it..

One thing you can do is what is called S&D (search an destroy). You can get some affordable hair cutting scissors at CVS or nearly anywhere and than only cut off your split ends when you find them just above the split.

You can also use Feye's Trimming Method to cut your own hair: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

I pretty much trim as needed but it depends on your goals too. Average hair grows about 6" a year so one option would be to cut .5" four times a year to gain 4" each year (every 3 months). If you are growing out damage like myself you may do trims more often and some do less.
You would be very right. I've dyed my hair black about five times in the last two years; in between those dyes (all box colors) it's gone from fire-hydrant red (without flat-out bleaching) to dark royal purple and to black again. I used a product called "Color Oops" on my hair and that brought it back to a natural-looking brown; I was so happy it worked.

My hair grows generally fast, which I used to see as a burden, but since I'm now committed to growing it out much further, (back to a length reminiscent of my childhood when I refused to get my hair cut at all) it's a blessing. I'll take your suggestions and do some reading from that link. Thank you.

And not to be too bold, you and just as much your hair, are quite beautiful.