PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oil Effectiveness Poll 3

Nightshade
June 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I wanted to do a series of polls on some of the most common methods of hair care that have or have not worked for LHC. I think this may be both interesting and a good quick reference. Granted it does not take into account hair type, but that would require a separate poll for each, and that’s a bit more effort both to post and to sift through the information.

We will define “long-term” as a period of 6 months or more of continuously using the method you select to be able to vote for a good result. Please feel free to give the details of your methods, or the ones that worked versus failed in the thread.

:flowers: PLEASE only vote that something worked for you if you've used it for MORE than 6 months and DO NOT VOTE for methods you have not tried. If something has worked for less time, please comment about it in the thread, but do not vote :)

If you do not see your hair oil in this thread, please be sure that you've checked each oil Poll
Oil Poll 1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6810)
Oil Poll 2 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6811)
Oil Poll 3 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6812)
Oil Poll 4 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6815)
Oil Poll 5 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6816)

mira-chan
June 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Kukui (typo in poll) nut oil is too heavy to use on it's own but great in a mix with shea.

Jojoba works fine, similar to Camellia oil. I'm not amazed but no disasters.

lulabelle
June 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Jojoba oil works well to give my length a bit of extra shine and sometimes I actually use a bit to keep fly aways down. It is so light it actually seems to absorb into my hair pretty well and not leave me greasy.

missy60
June 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I used this oil when I first came to LHC it was my first try at oils. I used up a whole bottle of it, but for some reason I havent repurchased it. I used it like a serum or mixed in with aloe gel. I stopped using aloe when I went blonde because my hair hated it and I just stopped using the oil also. I might purchase another bottle soon since I need some kind of leave in oil to help with the frizz I have been getting since the warm weather hit.

prosperina
June 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Jojoba oil is my favorite and works on either wet or dry hair. I don't really anticipate trying other oils because of one, money and two, the jojoba works. I also have some grapeseed oil which seems to work okay, but it needs more trying out. I also like coco butter occasionally but it is very heavy and needs to be melted and possibly mixed with other things. Plus, it isn't a leave in. Jojoba is, or rather can be, so that's why I use it. I mix it with sweet orange EO.

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I use jojoba and adore the stuff. It's very nice to my hair! I've not tried any of the others listed in this poll.

Loreyanne_H
June 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
For my hair, Jojoba and Macadamia are equally good.

froglet
June 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Jojoba oil is my holy grail oil. Love it, and my hair drinks it up.

Macadamia nut oil also works pretty well, but I've only used it off and on, so I didn't vote it. I find my hair doesn't absorb it as easily as the jojoba.

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I use hemp oil oftentimes for a hair treatment (i.e. leave it on for a few hours with a conditioner and honey mix). It's better than olive oil, I've found. Jojoba oil is what I'm using daily now with the warmer weather and that's lighter than the coconut and perfect for this time of year.

lora410
June 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
My hair loves any oil/butter I toss at it. For once it's not pick about anything:lol:

Olive
sweet almond and the same mixed with vit E oil
coconut
shea
mango

Carolyn
June 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've used jojoba oil for several years along with EVOO. It's wonderful alone as a hair oil and wonder mixed with other oils and added to leave in conditioners. It's a great multi purpose oil. I can't be without it. It's very light and soaks right in. I've also use macadamia nut oil. Not sure how long, but over 6 months. It's a little more difficult to find but well worth it if you can find it. It's light and soaks in great.

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Jojoba oil is one of my staples for everyday. It was the first oil that really worked for me. Now I'll go and search for the other oils I use.

Nice polls, Nightshade. :wink:

ZaBasDa
June 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Jojoba oil is the first oil I was able to use successfully. When I apply it to wet hair it keeps some of the frizz at bay.

freznow
June 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Jojoba oil works for me when my hair is in the mood for it... It's more of a finishing touch/protective rather than a nourishing oil for me. (if that makes any sense)

redcelticcurls
June 20th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Hate jojoba alone, it's too proteiny. I like it OK if it is mixed with other sutff though - they way it is in the Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose conditioner.

harley mama
June 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I use jojoba oil as the base for my SSO. I have more success
with it than with the sweet almond oil.

wilmot
June 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I have some jojoba oil that I've used somewhat successfully, but I need to do some experimenting to see if I can get consistent results. I'm new to TLHC, so I'm trying not to experiment with too many variables at once.

For adding oil to hair, is it best to wet my hair first, or should I apply it to dry hair?

Gladtobemom
June 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I've only used Macadamia nut oil in a whipped recipe.

I used it for nearly 8 months, but left it out of the next batch.

Jojoba I use on my skin and sometimes on hair.

julya
June 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Jojoba oil is the only one from that list that I have tried, but I like it a lot. Both my hair and scalp seem to like it. I don't use it daily or anything, just when I feel like I need to. Maybe once a week or less.

wintersun99
June 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I've only tried jojoba oil (of the oils on the list) and didn't like it, didn't seem like it did anything for my hair good or bad

wilmot
June 28th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I applied jojoba oil dry, and two days later I still have some oiliness in my hair, even after a (quick) CO wash. And my ends still look dry. I still need to figure out how it works.

Misso
July 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
From the list I only tried Jojoba and it worked for me, but only on dry hair. I actually replaced my serum with it. On wet hair it made my hair too crunchy.

willowcandra
October 10th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Jojoba is the best for me. Evoo is too strong and gives me a sticky mineral oil feel and monoi and cheaper coconut oils make be brittle and crunchy.

Jojoba makes my hair feel just like my own oil does and it has no stinky odour and lasts well.

dalriada-lady
January 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
I haven't tried the other oils but Jojoba oil did not work for me at all. made my hair way too greasy and limp no matter how much i used.

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Jojoba oil has been the answer to my prayers. It keeps my hair soft and more manageable and helps keep it moisturized.

I'm going to try camellia oil at some point, and maybe some EOs mixed in with my carrier oil (I've only tried tea tree so far).

Sydney
February 17th, 2009, 04:45 AM
jojoba works very well for me, especially as a leave in

mrs carol
March 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
My hair loves jojoba oil. I oil with it every week or so.

mrs carol
October 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
My hair loves jojoba oil.

pinchbeck
November 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I have been using jojoba oil for a few years and decided it was time to change because it was not helping in the prevention of split ends. Gosh....I spent a lot on it thinking I was doing my hair a favor!

What works for me is both coconut oil (for pre-oiling) and camellia oil (for daily light oiling on the last four inches of hair). I have been using both since Aug. 2009. My hair will have to grow a few inches to determine if indeed both these oils are helping.

I have been curious about hazelnut oil and would like to see how it works on other people. It looks like it isn't a popular one on TLHC, however.

Corylina
October 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I use hemp seed oil since I started growing out my hair (two years ago).
This oil is cheap, cheaper than jojoba, I can buy hemp seed oil producted in my country, it is way less greasy than olive oil. Perfect for normal hair types, but less perfect for dry hair I guess.

renee2day
January 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Jojoba oil is my multipurpose personal care product. I've been using it on my skin foir years. I'm currently using it with coconut oil on my hair when washing either as a prewash oiling or mixed with conditioner on the length.

Margrit
January 10th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Jojoba Oil worked for me
Macadamia Nut Oil worked for me

Fiorentina
January 19th, 2023, 02:50 PM
Jojoba Oil did not work for me