PDA

View Full Version : Do you show people (friends? strangers?) how to do updos?

ElusiveMuse
March 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Today I was at a museum and in the gift shop they had a GORGEOUS hair fork with a huge sparkley brooch made from vintage jewelry attached to it (which I promptly plunked down some money for). The saleswoman said "Oh, the hair piece you already have is so beautiful!" (A Grahtoe piece) and she asked me to show her how I did my updo (a lazy wrap bun). So I did a little tutorial right there in the shop!

Then when I got home, I had a package from Grahtoe containing two new forks (such a great day for pretties!) and my friends were like, "Okay, how do these work?" So I showed them how to do updos with forks and they took home the Grahtoe business cards that came in the box.

I have been very busy enabling today!

teela1978
March 23rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Sometimes. Usually coworkers who have forgotten to bring a hairtie to work. A quick pencil based updo can often come in handy!

ArienEllariel
March 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
I showed my best friend how to do a standard cinnabun for her job... other than that. Not really. I'd love the opportunity though!

Debra83
March 23rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
I work two jobs, and one of them is for a little store that stocks EVERYTHING! Well, the salesman comes around about once every month and a half for the hair stuff, and he asked me about a few of the items and how they worked. I remember he was quite impressed with the hair stick demo. (Thank God I was able to do that one!!!)

Braidy
March 24th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Last week my family commented on how stylish my hair looked (first time I went to see them with a fork in my hair) and asked me how I did that. It was so cool to take out the fork, then twist my hair and put the fork back it with as an only comment "Like this!". It felt like being a wizard who's explaining a trick he just performed :D

schweedie
March 24th, 2011, 02:17 AM
When I put my hair back up at the hairdresser's after my last trim they were all marvelling at my simple Nautilus-ish bun and wondered how I could do that myself, so I had to take it down again and show them how I did it. *g* I thought it was fun that they were interested!

Calanthe
March 24th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Yes, sometimes. A friend always asks, but I can't show her anything yet, as her hair is still much too short. And I demonstrated some styles to the woman who works at the bakery near my old office because she was forever asking: how did you do that? Can I do it, too.

Monsterkitti
March 24th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Ive shown a few people and DS when they've asked how Ive doen a style. I bought a few hair forks and sticks for presents so I had to do little tutorials when people opened them :)

Phexlyn
March 24th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I sometimes show others how to do buns, and I've taught someone how to English braid hair, but that's it. I don't reveal the secrets of complicated updos, and I'm not always comfortable taking down my hair especially if it's already slightly greasy.

Eolan
March 24th, 2011, 04:04 AM
If people would be interrested, I sure would show them. But they rarely are, I get compliments and questions like: "Is it hard? Does it take alot of time?", but so far no one has asked me to show them.

Vorvolaka
March 24th, 2011, 05:12 AM
My mum is sometimes interested even though she has very short hair. She's usually just baffled at how my hair stays up all day with nothing but a single toy!

QMacrocarpa
March 24th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Not yet, but I'm planning to give my sister-in-law and nieces some hairsticks I've made, so maybe then! :D

candlesandfish
March 24th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Yep - I've shown a number of people how I do my usual bun (a variation on the pencil bun, adapted for near-classic length hair), as well as the figure 8 bun (I wear mairzydozy forks a lot in that style) and a couple braided ones. I'd like to show someone how to do a crown braid too, we'll see :)

freckles
March 24th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I will show people if they ask. My male friend (well, more like an aquaintence) who is growing out his hair referred to my lazy wrap bun with a fork as 'hair magic' when he saw me put it up, so I showed him in slow motion to take the magic out. I will show my friends, too, but they've never been interested to 'learn' it, just to 'see' it. When I had a cinnabun held with just a hairstick, my grandma asked in wonderment, "that's surely not held up with just that pin, is it?" and I said yes, and went to pull it out to show her, but she reacted with "noooooo! don't pull it out! you might ruin it and I would feel terrible if you couldn't put it back up like that!". I tried to assure her I could put it straight back up, but she was dubious and was VERY opposed to it coming down so she will never know just how easy it is. :lol:

Naphthylamine
March 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM
People are generally confused about using hairsticks.
I've shown a male friend a handful of buns that can be held by a single stick, and he was simply amazed :D He doesn't even have long hair, he was just curious :)

Other than him, I have two female friends who are interested in learning different updos. One has heavily layered mid-back length hair who learned the lazy wrap bun from me and wears it in labs. I've also taught her various braided styles but she's having trouble with her layers poking out of her braids.

My other friend has magnificent 1a/1b - F - iii taper-free hair past her tailbone. I've shown her how to do a lazy wrap bun and a braided chinese bun, and showed Torrin's channel on youtube. She is now totally hooked up to her videos, trying to recreate her amazing styles :) We recently ordered some blank sticks from etsy to customize them.... Aand she is eager to join the community :)

And, of course, there is DBF :) I show him how I've done my styles when I do something interesting. He watches in pure awe, but I doubt he is learning anything :D

polette
March 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I wish someone would show me how to do use hair toys and updos!! I can braid and do a french twist... thaaaatttss it.

trolleypup
March 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Usually when someone wonders how long it is. I just pull the stick and let it down and then put it back up. Sometimes I am asked to repeat the process for show.

heidihug
March 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
No. No one is interested, as I have what is considered freakishly long hair where I live. Most people have shoulder-length or shorter and have never done more than a ponytail or a braid in their life. I might get a compliment here or there, but never a request to show anyone how to do an updo.

BrightEyes7
March 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I had the lady at the gas station ask me to show her how I put my hair up with just one stick. She was amazed that was the only thing holding it up. But she had short hair, so it was more just a demostration rather than a turtorial.

And I've shown the ladies at work and a few clients and of course my mom and MIL.

But in every case it is just curiosity, not actually wanting to know how to do the bun.

It is fun though, to amaze people by doing something so simple. Like my friend was so amazed by a lace braid I did on his wife's hair. He just kept saying "that's pretty awesome"... I felt like a hair genius.

selderon
March 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I love to teach others... especially something fun like how to do an updo. So far, since my hair isn't very long yet, the only thing I've done is show auntie how to do a sock bun. I'm dying to get hair sticks and show her how to put her hair up. She has such beautiful hair and almost never shows it off to its best advantage.

ElusiveMuse
March 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I love how many of you are saying that it's like you're a wizard or doing bun magic. I think people are definitely amazed that we can do intricate or interesting buns in a few swoops with one pin, fork, or stick.

I also had the saleslady tell me not to take it down because it must be so complicated to get back up and was pretty impressed when I did it in, like, 30 seconds. I felt like such a good long hair ambassador. :)

GeoJ
March 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
If someone asks, and the updo was not a complicated one, I will take it down and demonstrate. That almost never happens, though.

dollface
April 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM
i work with the mentally handicapped and the clients i work with are all female, once they knew that i could do hair they love to ask me to help them style their hair and i've even taught a few of them to braid and do their own hair. it's a fun thing about my job ^^

julliams
April 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
I do, but only to people who are interested. I get a little to excited and go into WAY too much detail so it's better if I keep things to myself.

ooo
April 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I attend regularly meetings of a German long hair forum. The purpose is not only to socialize, but also to show each other stuff. When I get asked, I also show it to other people.

jesis
April 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
I always get compliments on my hair at work and of course I tell them all of my secrets. :):)

Natalia
April 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Way cool :)! I do if im asked otherwise people think im a freak lol

Masara
April 2nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
I teach teenagers. As they're lining up to go into class I often get one of the girls asking how I did that day's bun.
It's not really the best time to start showing them and I prefer not to show my hair at work, so I won't take it out and demonstrate. But I'll give them a few quick instructions and I have been known to demonstrate on a willing victim after class (too willing sometimes; I've lost a couple of breaks because I was doing more complicated braids!)
Sometimes the ones they want to know about are woven buns, or rope braided vortex buns which take a bit more explaining than I've got time for and you really have to show how they're done. Then I say I'll do a bun session at the end of the year. (being able to follow a "how to" manual is part of their evaluation)