PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oil Effectiveness Poll 2

Nightshade
June 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I wanted to do a series of polls on some of the most common methods of hair care that have or have not worked for LHC. I think this may be both interesting and a good quick reference. Granted it does not take into account hair type, but that would require a separate poll for each, and that’s a bit more effort both to post and to sift through the information.

We will define “long-term” as a period of 6 months or more of continuously using the method you select to be able to vote for a good result. Please feel free to give the details of your methods, or the ones that worked versus failed in the thread.

:flowers: PLEASE only vote that something worked for you if you've used it for MORE than 6 months and DO NOT VOTE for methods you have not tried. If something has worked for less time, please comment about it in the thread, but do not vote :)

If you do not see your hair oil in this thread, please be sure that you've checked each oil Poll
Oil Poll 1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6810)
Oil Poll 2 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6811)
Oil Poll 3 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6812)
Oil Poll 4 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6815)
Oil Poll 5 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6816)

mira-chan
June 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Coconut oil works amazingly well. Except I can only use it during the warm months when it is not solid. Using it when it can solidify on hair cause instant build up, the hair candle effect.

Altocumulus
June 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Coconut and jojoba are the only oils I've tried. They both work well for me. *off to find the poll with jojoba*

Minx
June 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I found Grapeseed Oil very heavy for me. I only use it for heavy oil treatments, it's just too much at any other time.

Coconut oil is the best oil I've used.

lulabelle
June 13th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Coconut oil is probably my favorite. I like to use it on my damp ends and it keeps them nice and moisturized and soft and helps prevent the "velcro ends" effect I seem to always get. It also doesn't leave me greasy. I've noticed that my hair seems to like the lighter oils best.

missy60
June 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Ok I must like this oil alot because I have bought two tubs of it. I use it for almost everything I use it in my hair. I also use it as a body moisturizer and I will never be without it for this reason.

Well I cant vote again but I also love Emu oil I use it on my scalp and body

Loreyanne_H
June 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Monoi rules! The best one, not too greasy, just perfect. And smells like paradise.

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Coconut oil is what I use most often and it's perfect for the winter since my hair is typically drier in this season. It tames my flyaways and smooths my hair down well, especially for updos.

freznow
June 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Coconut oil 'worked' for me, but not well enough to justify buying more of it. I just have to face it, I'm not a coconut kind of girl!

Grapeseed oil, on the other hand, is amazing. Love the stuff!

harley mama
June 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM
My hair and skin eat up coconut oil. I've been using it for about
a year now and have had good results.

Gladtobemom
June 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I do use cocoa butter whipped with coconut oil, jojoba oil, and a little shea butter, sort of a nod to Physicschick's Chocobutter.

DD uses it all the time. (she has tons of 3C hair)

I have gone back to using almost exclusively coconut oil or red palm oil. It's simpler and my hair does very well. Monoi is of course coconut oil. (Monoi Vanille, or Camden Gray Fractionated Coconut oil with BPAL)

Ndnlady
June 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I have a jar of the un-refined coconut oil and that works really well, but I also use monoi oil and I like that too.

wintersun99
June 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
voted yes to both coconut oil and grapeseed oil. like the way it leaves my hair soft and shiny. initially, used them separately but have since, mixed them together

Magrat
June 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I voted coconut worked, but I don't use it alone.
I melt some coconut and mix in some avocadooil. Just enough for it to be a thick liquid in room-temp (possibly a loose creme when cold). It's easy to apply and I find my hair likes this mix.

Cinnamon.locks
August 22nd, 2008, 01:33 AM
Cocoa butter worked for me and coconut oil worked ok. but i was unable to vote on the third poll.

Arctic
August 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
I voted that coconut oil worked for me.

It was the first oil I tried last autumn, and it made my hair feel stronger.
Unfortunately my skin seems not to like it that much (it's highly comedogenic), and I plan to keep coconut oil for occasional deepoilings for now on, not on everyday use anymore. For hair, I warmly recommend it :flower:

Fireweed
September 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
If I use cocnut oil too often my hair gets crunchy. My skin loves it and I use it almost every night on my skin.

Velouria
October 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but I just voted for coconut and grapeseed oils.

However, I can't use regular coconut oil because it breaks me out very badly, we're talking cystic. I use fractionated coconut oil (aka caprylic/capric triglyceride) which is non-acnegenic, and if my understanding of the chemistry of oil penetrability is correct, it's even more penetrative than regular coconut oil.

It's a clear, liquid, odorless oil.

Patrycja
October 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
In this poll,I've only tried coconut oil. Its the best thing that I have found for my hair.I use the refined kind from Spectrum and its lovely. I do over night oilings with it,I use just a little bit on my ends after washing,I mix it with a BPAL scent and smooth it on my skin. That stuff is gold.A huge jar too.

dalriada-lady
January 3rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Cocoa butter worked well for me, but strangely coconut oil did not work. i guess i used the wrong kind.

the other oils i have not tried.

burns_erin
January 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I did not vote on coconut oil either way because I am relatively ambivalent for the most part. The only thing I really like it for is before swimming. Grapeseed oil on the other hand is my little miracle in a bottle. Both my hair and skin love it. I may try mixing it with the coconut oil though as I had never thought about it. And i am really tempted to try some of the monoi because it just sounds like it smells so nice.

saak86
January 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I love love love coconut oil

herbgurl82
February 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I voted yes on the coconut oil. However, it only works as a prewash treatment. WHen I use it as that, my hair comes out soft and silky. As a leave in, it makes my hair slightly crunchy. I've tried "four" types of coconut oil: Spectrum Essentials Organic Refined Coconut Oil, Spectrum Essentials Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil, Dabur Anmol Pure Coconut Oil with Vitamin E, and Vatika Enriched Coconut Oil. (Or would the Vatika count as an oil blend, since it is a "souped up" coconut oil with henna, amla, and other herbal extracts?)

rach
March 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM
love coconut oil. i always put it after i towel dried my hair. separates my waves to something sensible rather than mass fuff!!!!!!!! vote on coconut any day

Canarygirl
March 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I voted for the emu oil because it works great on my skin for the past couple of years. I haven't used it on my hair in all honesty. I tried coconut oil recently as a leave in and it made my hair lank and separated into bunches. Is it harder for people with fine hair to use hair oils? Any particular oils work better for people with lots of fine hair?

PurpleRays
March 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I love emu oil for my skin but coconut oil works best for my hair. A little goes a long way
as my hair is fine.

Silverlox
March 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
On this poll, I voted for Coconut oil working well for me. My hair loves it and just drinks it up.

I haven't tried any of the other oils for 6 months or more.

spf4214
March 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I haven't used it for very long, so I didn't vote, but so far my hair has been loving coconut oil. I bought it from a healthfood store, I believe the brand is Melrose and its unrefined. It looks more like butter in the jar though. I used a little bit as a leave in treatment from the neck down, and it absorbed really well and my hair now looks shinier, smoother and more moisturised. I've never had these results with other leave in conditioners, and its a lot cheaper then some others, smells fantastic and the jar will last me ages :).

earthdancer
April 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I voted that coconut oil worked for me.

...Unfortunately my skin seems not to like it that much (it's highly comedogenic)....

I don't think coconut oil is by nature comedogenic; my sister and I are both acne prone with sensitive skin, and it's the only moisturizer that we can actually rub into our skin without breaking out or getting blackheads, and we've been trying products for 40 years! In fact, when I use a little on my nose, it seems to prevent my own skin oil from making blackheads.

However, I've read that some people do not do well with it--I don't get it, but there you are. Everyone's chemistry is different.

BlackfootHair
April 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I love coconut oil. Dabur Vatika. :) Best on slightly damp hair. :)

earthdancer
April 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
People who have problems with coconut oil may be using refined coconut oil instead of unrefined, and there is a world of difference! In fact, I just read that some model or actress is coming out with her own line of coconut-oil based products, and she emphasizes that unrefined oil is the only thing to use on your skin (or, she says, in your body either). No, I don't know how she'll maintain the unrefined condition of the oil in manufactured products--it'll be a good trick.

I found this page about virgin coconut oil, and I have found most of the claims to be true from my own experience, and I would say it's even better than they claim:
http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm

Fiferstone
November 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Coconut oil works for me, I use it pre-wash, so I don't have the "hair candle" issue even when it's in solid form. Been using it for 8 months.

Flynn
November 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Emu oil: it works, but it stinks.

Coconut oil: I've used it, but could not vote either way. It... well, it doesn't not work, but it doesn't do anything much dramatic...

Silver
November 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I love coconut oil for the ends.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Coconut oil worked for me.

Lilacs
January 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
:D Coconut oil is great! I have been using it since last summer and I won't be stopping anytime soon :)

SusanneOSK
February 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Coconut oil makes my hair feel very healthy, but only when I use it once every few weeks. Otherwise my hair turns a little straw-like, which I'm told is caused by the high protein concentration.
Grapeseed oil is excellent on my face but it leaves my hair feeling dry and lifeless. It's done a good job clarifying my scalp but I avoid putting it on my ends.

bunzfan
March 4th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I mainly use grape seed oil but found recently the coconut works better as a pre wash oil.

luxepiggy
April 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Coconut oil made my hair wonderfully soft, but it also made me break out no matter how careful I was to keep my hair away from my face & wash my hands, so I sadly am no longer using it (>(oo)<)`

spike316
May 30th, 2011, 03:26 AM
coconut works for me, but only if applied when my hair is wet. O_o

Phalaenopsis
May 30th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Coconut oil works for me, just like shea butter.

Cocoa butter also seems to work, not sure, only used it in a mixture with coconut oil, but it hasn't given me problems.

No vote, because I haven't used it for 6 months yet.

renee2day
January 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I'm currently using coconut oil and love the smell. However I haven't been using it that long. I'm hoping to get the hair strengthening benefits Ktani writes of.
So I didn't vote for coconut oil. I voted NO for cocoa butter as it makes me itch like mad which is too bad cause it smells lovely. I'm hoping I don't develop sensitivities to coconut as it seems to be working so far and the Monoi sounds lushess.

gthlvrmx
January 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Oils don't work for me. Period. :P

Amber_Maiden
January 14th, 2012, 04:41 PM
None of those oils worked for me.

melusine963
January 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Coconut oil worked for me, but it's the only one on the list I've tried.

JamieLeigh
January 7th, 2013, 12:34 AM
I adore coconut oil. I use it every time I wash, as a pre-wash treatment. I normally wear it overnight when I can, in a heavily oiled braid that I bun on top of my head. I wash it out with a CO wash (usually with Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner). I can't say enough good things about it.

I have also tried grapeseed oil with stellar results as a post-wash treatment in very VERY small amounts (as in, a couple of drops for classic+ length hair).

Alibran
August 18th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I've been using coconut oil as an after wash 'styling' product for over a year, and my hair loves it. I have to use a lot more than the few drops that are generally recommended, though.

egcmi
May 9th, 2018, 03:49 PM
I have been using coconut oil regularly for 8 months now both as a pre-poo/deep conditioner and as a leave in. I chose to stick with the coconut oil mostly because it's the only oil which is scientifically proven to penetrate the cuticle and strengthen hair from the inside, plus it smells amazing imo. Since a started swimming again, I always coat my hair in coconut oil before heading to the pool (2x week) as a protection from the chlorine and I also get to deep condition while I'm in the pool. That serves as a pre-poo, too, as I'll be washing the chlorine out of my hair after.
After washing and conditioning my hair, I rinse it, then rake some more coconut oil in my lengths and ends while my hair is still wet but not towel-dried. I also use a dime-sized amount of conditioner after the oil. Then towel dry and let air dry. My curly hair has never been so defined, soft and moisturised since I started applying it to my hair while it's wet. It doesn't work as well if I use it on my dry hair, though, it looks so crunchy and greasy and feels so dry and not moisturised at all.

egcmi
May 9th, 2018, 03:53 PM
I've been using coconut oil as an after wash 'styling' product for over a year, and my hair loves it. I have to use a lot more than the few drops that are generally recommended, though.

Hey @Alibran, I just noticed you too have 3b curly hair that loves coconut oil! I also use it as a styling product as I wrote in my previous post. I see your goal is also TBL, so many things in common :D

Margrit
January 10th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Cocoa Butter worked for me
Grapeseed Oil worked for me

Fiorentina
January 19th, 2023, 02:49 PM
Cocoa Butter worked for me and Grapeseed Oil worked for me