PDA

View Full Version : Straightening (a little) without heat. For curlies

lauravmarcela
March 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
I wish MY hair was more of a 3a instead of B, love those big curls but I wasn't blessed with them. My hair is really, really REALLY dry especially when I decided to grow it longer, it just got worse no matter how much I baby it

I do need a haircut for the ends, but I managed to put it off at least up until I have money to get a nice haircut

Anyways, what I've been doing for a couple of weeks is wet wrapping. For the first time in my life I can actually glide my fingers down my hair, it's silky, it's shinier, it's smoother, looks less dry and relaxes my hair a bit.

I start by regularly treating my hair with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and then deep conditioner, dry it only a little with a T-shirt instead of towel or letting it air dry no matter how wet it is. While still pretty wet I add to it my favorite serum and little leave in or none at all. Wrap it around my head, make sure you have bobby pins or clips that will hold your hair in place. Wrap a silk scarf around your head and go to bed, or just keep it till it's COMPLETELY dry. In the morning I have nice relaxed hair.

This in end helps me use less products on my hair, and no need to fear what's in my gel or mousse and if it will dry it (which usually no matter what expensive type I used it still was hard and dull)

I am extremely satisfied with the results especially since my hair is exaggerated,dry, poofy and does not help my face shape.

I can't tell you I've mastered how to wrap wet hair because it's very difficult to wrap the top. I like to make the top bit of my hair a ponytail while I wrap everything else around. Once that's done I clip and comb till it matches the rest of my hair.

I found it difficult to wrap my hair without youtube, you'll see a bunch of women showing you how to wrap. Hope it helped :D

dawnss
March 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Yep, wrapping your hair does wonders. I have tried to wet wrap my kinky hair but it is really difficult because my hair has too much volume and there is too much shrinkage for me to deal with. Here is another tip, try rollersetting your wet hair and letting it dry. That helps to straighten my hair out without heat.

lauravmarcela
March 25th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yep, wrapping your hair does wonders. I have tried to wet wrap my kinky hair but it is really difficult because my hair has too much volume and there is too much shrinkage for me to deal with. Here is another tip, try rollersetting your wet hair and letting it dry. That helps to straighten my hair out without heat.

I need to look this up! but if it's not too time consuming I should try it

dawnss
April 2nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Sorry for the late reply, give it a shot, it is difficult at first if you are not used to it but it should get easier as you practice.

jaine
April 2nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not a fan of hair wrapping ... I tried it a few times but it always made my follicles hurt so much on one side of my head when I took it down. And my hair had a weird asymmetrical shape from the back view because it was diagonally slanting to one side. So ... not a fan but I'm happy it works for someone. I usually dry my hair in a bun or ponytail if I want to "straighten" it.

jojo
April 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
putting your hair in a low pony with scrunchie and then then add more scruchies to the end, like a catapillar and leve to dry helps straighten too, not poker straight but straighter! or combing regular whilst damp helps me!

dawnss
April 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yes all of those things work. Jojo, how were you wrapping your hair, when I wear my hair straight, I have never had those kind of issues happen, nor have I ever heard anyone say they have those kind of issues.

ooo
April 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
buns make my hair straighter.

lauravmarcela
April 2nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
In may I will give up stalling by wrapping, my hair has gone insane, I tried buns, braids and only wrapping so far helped me. You lucky ladies have pretty hair, mine is just wild and tangled and I can naturally get dreads from the tangles in my hair. May will be the day I cut my damaged hair and regrow it all

jaine
April 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
putting your hair in a low pony with scrunchie and then then add more scruchies to the end, like a catapillar and leve to dry helps straighten too, not poker straight but straighter! or combing regular whilst damp helps me!

That's pretty much what I do too! It comes out more symmetrical than hair wrapping and it doesn't hurt my scalp because the roots aren't being pulled in a weird direction.

dawnss
April 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Wet bunning helps, for my 4a hair I like to rollerset it that way I can get a straighter texture.

Sophie.Bold
May 13th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I'm not a fan of hair wrapping ... I tried it a few times but it always made my follicles hurt so much on one side of my head when I took it down. And my hair had a weird asymmetrical shape from the back view because it was diagonally slanting to one side. So ... not a fan but I'm happy it works for someone. I usually dry my hair in a bun or ponytail if I want to "straighten" it.

Hey Jaine, to get rid of asymmetrical shape, you wrap one day to your right next day to your left, or first few hours to one side and next few hours to the other if your doing during day, I used to do it when I did blowdry and once wash once at week, one night to the right, one night to left :)

Hopes it makes sense... ;)