PDA

View Full Version : Hair Oil Effectiveness Poll 1

Nightshade
June 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I wanted to do a series of polls on some of the most common methods of hair care that have or have not worked for LHC. I think this may be both interesting and a good quick reference. Granted it does not take into account hair type, but that would require a separate poll for each, and that’s a bit more effort both to post and to sift through the information.

We will define “long-term” as a period of 6 months or more of continuously using the method you select to be able to vote for a good result. Please feel free to give the details of your methods, or the ones that worked versus failed in the thread.

:flowers: PLEASE only vote that something worked for you if you've used it for MORE than 6 months and DO NOT VOTE for methods you have not tried. If something has worked for less time, please comment about it in the thread, but do not vote :)

If you do not see your hair oil in this thread, please be sure that you've checked each oil Poll
Oil Poll 1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6810)
Oil Poll 2 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6811)
Oil Poll 3 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6812)
Oil Poll 4 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6815)
Oil Poll 5 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6816)

Liluri
June 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Great stuff but goes off easily. I'm a bit reluctant to buy some more just because of the smell when it starts to turn, I covered it up with essential oil but it was still there. (It's a bit spendy)

mira-chan
June 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Camellia oil worked for me, I used it for over year, I alternated it with other oils.

Almond oil failed miserably it gave crunchy, greasy hair and skin. Didn't use this for the 6 months, with the reaction like that, it would be impossible.

I used Broccoli seed on and off, can't exactly call it 6 months so didn't vote on this, but it was ok. Not amazing nor horrible.

Nightshade
June 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I should clarify that it's only the things that are working that need to go for more than 6 months. A bad reaction can be an automatic "no" vote :)

Juliet's Silk
June 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I never noticed any differences between oils/butters. Either all oils worked for me, or none did.
I have tried several oils throughout the years and I stuck with coconut and jojoba, because of easiest availability, the coconut smells nice and my skin likes jojoba.
I had times when my hair reacted badly to ALL oil applied, I had times when my hair liked light oiling but not deep oiling, then I had times when my hair loved deep oiling but not light, and times when my hair liked oil in general.
For all oils I tried, I voted "worked" because that's what they mostly do. But I think when they work, it has more do to with the state my hair is in than the type of the oil.

missy60
June 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I really liked this oil it gave me really shiny hair. I used it for deep treatments and it washed out easily. I also used it in my OCM mix at it was great.

I bought some broccoli seed oil and used it once but I really wasnt impressed that time. My DGD spilled over half of it and the smell really got to me. I havent used it again since so I didnt vote on it.

nomadhome
June 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Less than 6 months with camellia, so I didn't vote, but it works like a charm.

ZaBasDa
June 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Sweet almond oil works about as well as jojoba at keeping the ends nice and the frizz down. But, it tends to make my hair a little greasy.

Remke
June 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've tried only almond oil, olive oil and Jasmine oil. But my hair hates oil... It loves cones

Gladtobemom
June 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Apricot oil has become a regular part of my OCM mix.

I find that my skin is more sensitive and the Apricot kernal oil seems to be gentler than sweet almond oil. I get less redness and more exfoliation.

I don't really use these oils on hair.

Cinnamon.locks
August 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Almond oil workd good for me, but i was unable to add my vote.

Fireweed
September 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
This oil does work for me.

dalriada-lady
January 3rd, 2009, 03:14 AM
Almond oil is the only one here that i've tried, it has worked quite well. leaves my hair very soft and shiny. but it works better in Kimo's Shea Butter mix. at least for me.

levelek
May 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Almond oil did not work for my hair, though it's fine for my skin. I haven't tried the other oils in this poll.

clairenewcastle
October 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Almond oil was the first type of oil I ever tried on my hair. The effect of it was so good it converted me towards using oils.
I've tried many other oils but none listed in the poll.

Esther84
June 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Almond Oil and Camellia Oil worked for me!:)

Aveyronnaise
January 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I am a month and a half into my journey with Camilla oil, and I am completely enamored with it . It's just so silky and light . It is doing amazing things as a facial moisturizer as well.

chrissy-b
January 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I am a month and a half into my journey with Camilla oil, and I am completely enamored with it . It's just so silky and light . It is doing amazing things as a facial moisturizer as well.

Camellia oil is becoming my favorite. It's almost impossible to use too much. Even when it feels like my hair is too oily after application, by the next morning (I wash at night), my hair is smooth and not greasy at all. On my skin it absorbs better than any other oil I've tried. Overall, it's awesome.

Shrew
January 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Pity that 'Castor Oil' isn't mentioned here..
It really works, my hair grows faster :)

SusanneOSK
February 19th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Apricot Kernel oil is the love of my life. I've tried multiple oils and they had their strengths and weaknesses, e.g., coconut oil and EVOO were great for my hair but made my skin break out & Grapeseed oil worked wonders for my skin but dried out my hair (and occasionally my skin).
Apricot kernel oil, on the other hand, is completely under acknowledged. I have been able to use it on my hair and my skin with complete balancing effects. It moisturizes my hair but doesn't leave it heavy and oily when I rinse it out (I love to mix it with my conditioner) and it also deeply moisturizes my face but doesn't cause it to break out or get too oily the next morning. I always wake up, and whether or not I put on makeup, I get complements on my "glowing fresh skin." Keep in mind my doctor tried to prescribe me acutane at one point and without sleeping in oil, my face is splotchy and unevenly covered. I love the stuff!

SusanneOSK
February 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I'd like to add to my last comment - I like apricot oil because I can put in on both my ends AND my scalp. It makes my scalp feel soooo clean and not greasy later! And it makes my ends manageable. Grapeseed oil I can only put on my scalp and EVOO is one I can only put on my ends.

~honeyflower~
August 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hey nightshade, could you put argan oil on the list? I am curious to see if other people liked it as much as I did.Pretty please? :pray: Thank you for this poll it's helping me a lot.

PolarCathy
August 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
So many oils you don't have included in either of the five polls. Practically everything I use is not mentioned :D

--castor
--mustard
--sesame
--linseed
--avocado

I think I haven't seen any of these... I used them all, some for more than 6 months, some less.

TheMechaGinger
August 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
My hair likes shea butter, coconut, jojoba, olive and almond oils. There are plenty I still haven't tried though. My hair does really well with coney serums too

Amber_Maiden
August 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Camellia Oil and Almond oil both worked for me.

Angeni
August 16th, 2017, 08:55 AM
This wasn't an option in any of the polls, but I found that Avocado Oil does wonders for my fine hair.
My hair just drinks it up and it leaves my hair bunny soft from the roots to the very ends. :)

My hair hateddddd coconut oil, it ended up going crunchy. But avocado oil with a few drops of rosemary eo is my best friend :D

enting
August 27th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Almond oil seems just fine for my hair. If I use anything more than a couple of drops it easily makes it stringy, but no other ill effects. It's absolutely amazing for my skin, though.

Sesame oil wasn't listed, but that's my oil of choice for my hair. It seems to just absorb, leaving my hair silky and manageable without stringiness or stickiness.

lapushka
August 28th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Sweet almond oil has been amazing for my skin for 42 years now, and there was a time I used it on my hair before I discovered baby oil. :)

TatsuOni
August 28th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Almond oil worked for my hair. Although I've find others that works better for my hair almond oil is still my favorite for my skin :)

Margrit
January 8th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Almond Oil worked for me

Fiorentina
January 19th, 2023, 02:46 PM
I voted: Almond Oil worked for me