PDA

View Full Version : No Tassle Braids

Patty lou
June 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I was in a store and saw a young lady who had her hair in 2 braids but she had NO tassle on them, unfortunately I did not get a chance to talk to her, from what I could see she had elastics tied on them about 1/2 inch from the end.
Any body here seen this done or knows how to do it.

Patty lou

burns_erin
June 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have seen two ways of doing this.

1. The person in question just always trimmed the tassles off. But then she only ever wore her hair in braids, and she would keep the same braid up for days at a time.

2. A more sensible approach I have even done myself, though it is awkward, was to braid it and band it, then take the tasssle and loop it back up, and using a bobby pin (the wide ones not the tight ones) pushed through the braid,braid the tassle back up into the braid. It worked best for me when I coated the tassle with aloe vera gel.

Magdalene
June 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
hmm...if I braid to the end the taper doesn't leave much to attach an elastic to.

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I braid all the way to the end, wrap about a 2-inch strip of wet ribbon around and around the bottom, then put my elastic over that. It holds really well, doesn't leave a kink, and when I remove the braid, I don't have a braid wave/no braid wave line of demarcation like you get when you leave a tassle.

Leisha
June 13th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sometimes I don't pull the tassle through the elastic completely (eta: so it's kind of a loop instead of a tassle), to avoid the braid waves/no braid waves demarcation thing... maybe that's what she did?

Anje
June 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I've done something a lot like this for my roommate. What I did was braid about as far to the end as I could with her taper. Then I folded the end a few times, so I had a section about an inch long with about 4-6 folds in it (her taper's quite severe in that last few inches). Then I banded that around the middle. The result was braids that look like they go right to the end.

Mind you, her hair is curly and quite damaged. When I've attempted this with my straighter hair, it gives me funny ends that go back to the shape of the fold, but she didn't notice any problems when she took her braids out. (Rather, she raved about how soft her hair was, no doubt because I put several tablespoons of oil in it as I braided.)

busnutmedic
June 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I braid all the way to the end, wrap about a 2-inch strip of wet ribbon around and around the bottom, then put my elastic over that. It holds really well, doesn't leave a kink, and when I remove the braid, I don't have a braid wave/no braid wave line of demarcation like you get when you leave a tassle.

That's a fantastic idea. I think I have breakage due to finishing my ends off with regular ponytail holders.

Bonnie