PDA

View Full Version : Did you want to chop after reaching your goal length?

klcqtee
March 22nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
I have finally reached my goal length (I need to update my signature, so you can't really judge from that). My hair is waist length, and pretty, and wavy, and finally I've managed to conquer my frizz and dandruff.

But I'm not really happy with it. My hair is full of splits, and has dye from the shoulders down. Now, I'm not a big fan of compromise. I'm an all or nothing gal. I either am going to keep growing, and slowly trim, or shave it. I know this seems extreme. Shaving my head is something I've always wanted to do! For some people it's sky diving, for me, it's head shaving. Plus, it's 2 birds with 1 stone: no more splits or dye, and I get to shave my head.

Has anyone else felt like this?

Slinks
March 23rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
wow !! lol .. I used to like to get 2 or so inches cut off all the time but that was before I decided to grow. I'm aiming for waist length but I don't think I will get that long I actually think I have reached the end of my genetics, is this called terminal ?? this is the longest I've ever had my hair and I'm enjoying it since I joined LHC ..

if I were you I'd do the 2 week wait period and cut it off where the dye starts ..

BUT you know if shaving is your thing "go for it" .. perhaps cut it off at the dye and wait 2 weeks :-)

Fufu
March 23rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
If i am seriously seriously seriously x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000

bored with my hair, I will have a drastic hair chop from waist (my hair goal) to shoulder, not any shorter than that.

How about going with the 2 weeks rule first?

trillcat
March 23rd, 2011, 01:07 AM
Why would I to do that?
This for me is not a race run, it is a journey. To get to my goal to just cut, I see no happy for me. After goal I see longer goal.

Ishje
March 23rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I see what you mean, I just reached my first goal, and my hair is nasty.
so yea, somewhere I would like to cut it, but it took me so long before I got here.
to me it would be a shame to cut away all the effort I put in my hair.
(and I still have a second goal)

but, if you think it is best for you, you should do so ^^
(I agree with the 2 week rule though)

Mesmerise
March 23rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
I have spent literally all my life growing and then chopping, and I NEVER quite reach my goal... EVER... which is sort of stupid, since I'm nearly 38 now! For that reason, I won't chop once I reach my goal, as I'm DETERMINED to get there and keep it there, thin ends and dye damage or not! Usually if I go through massive shedding and my hair gets stringy, I chop off several inches... but this time NO NO NO!

But yeah, I do know how you feel ;) Because I've done it so many times before... I've grown, and I've damaged it or something (cause I grow but I'll also do stupid stuff like dye, bleach, perm or straighten) and my hair gets horrid so I cut it because I'm not happy.

I have chopped it REALLY short before (not all over shaved, because it's been a bit longer on top...but you know, like 1/2" on the back and sides) in order to cut out dye and damage, but I hated it and as soon as it was long enough I got REALLY long extensions lol (that's the longest my hair's ever been...when it was fake hahaha...it was probably hip length).

But there will come a time when I want to go natural and get rid of the henna (when I've got too many greys and I no longer look natural with red hair) and then I'll shave it all off and start growing again (I figure I'll be 50+ by then...).

jojo
March 23rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
Heck no! it took me 5 years to go from a short, cropped bob to just past waist and to lose it all in a matter of minutes well id be upset to put it mildly! I know what you mean though about the split ends at waist though, its a case of dust and put it up for me!

Whatever you decide don't shave on impulse, think it through!

Phexlyn
March 23rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
Please use the two week rule here ;)

When I reached classic, my long-term goal, I realized I just wasn't happy with the hair quality, which made me unhappy with the length as well. I wanted to chop back to waist but didn't. I managed to talk myself into several smaller trims, and that's why I'm still at tailbone length now. My ends are looking much thicker and I'm happier with my hair :)

ladypurple
March 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I would go for slow trims as your hair keeps growing. I am an all-or-nothing kinda girl too, but I have taken the plunge enough times to know I shouldn't! Especially for hair.....

firicia
March 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
All I can say is that wanting to shave your head is so much more brave than I ever could be with my own hair. Really in the end it is up to you, whatever makes you happy. Do you think if you shave you'll eventually want to just grow it long anyways? If so what's to keep you from dying it again and then having the same issues, hehe. If you decide to trim until the dye is out of your hair it might be easier to say no to another colouring, but really it's what will make YOU happiest because trimming it like that is a commitment in itself. Best of luck in whatever way you decide to go:D

spidermom
March 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Yeh; I kinda wanna layer it and stuff because I've been growing and trimming for 10 years now.

But I think I'll just get another trim.

dmitri
March 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I haven't reached goal yet, but... I don't think I'd want to start all over immediately! I don't want to deal with the awkward "too long to be short, but not long enough to tie back" phase again! Which I guess might be easier for women, with barrettes and clips and head bands being normal, but... for guys the best answer is usually a bandanna. And bandannas aren't really proper attire for many situations. Anyway... my plan is to maintain at goal length for at least a year, and then decide if I want to go longer.

NorCal
March 24th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I cut my hair really short (not quite shaved but pixie) when I was in high school, and regretted it. I had dyed it and damaged it, so I sort of gave up. It took a long time to grow out again. I cut it short again about 5 years later, after I had grown it to about shoulder length, just for a change. Now I've grown my hair out to APL and dyed it and damaged it severely. The last thing I'd do is cut it all off again. Especially if I had shoulder length virgin hair that I could keep. I would do a good trim, and if I still wasn't happy, I'd get a cut with layers to get rid of all the dye. Then consider cutting more.

It just depends on how badly you want to start from scratch. I've been through it and hated it. Maybe you'd like it. It's oddly liberating yet limiting.

Kerynna
March 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I did and I did. I reached my goal length of waist and tried that out for a month or so, but then decided to cut 3 inches off. I have been very pleased with the result. Waist just felt too long to me, it was getting in the way and getting damaged as a result. Now I have the front sides angled down and I am much happier with that. I can always grow to waist again, and I may, but right now I'm enjoying the fresh change.

Vorvolaka
March 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hmm, I can see me personally being tempted to chop it off at a certain length (I don't really have a goal) due to layers and dye.

I usually think growing out dye is fine to a certain point but there comes a time where I am itching to get the scissors and just chop the rest off. I think, this time, I'm going to touch up the roots with a semi-permanent colour to stave off the need to cut.

Athena's Owl
March 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I had set a goal for hip length. I'm right about there, but I'd like a blunter hemline. So I'm taking this year to do regular trims to see if it thickens up, and if not, I'll cut is all the way back to waist and try again...

ScarlettAdelle
March 25th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm about a foot away from my length goal (fingertip). My hair's the longest it's ever been. I've always felt my hair was too short. I sometines get the urge to cut off all but my color, but that would take me back to shoulder at the longest bits *cringe* I HATED shoulder. Never again.

I'm planning on getting to and maintaining my goal length. I'm planning on chopping once I get to classic (maybe... still psyching myself up) but only back to tailbone and then doing that every so often until my ends are in better shape. But, on me, classic and tailbone are about 2-3" away from one another, so it's not as big a jump as it sounds.

If you want to shave your head, maybe now's a good time, before you get any closer to your goal, you know, get it out of your system?

jel
March 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
When I reached my "ultimate" goal of tailbone (from shoulder length) I was strangely deflated. Well, maybe not deflated, but not as excited as I was expecting to be. It felt a bit too long, my updos needed tweaking, I couldn't wear it down... So I contemplated cutting back to waist.

I was contemplating so long, that the next time I looked, my hair was half way down my bottom! That made me decide to continue growing to classic, or maybe the top of thigh. Just to see if I can! Before my LHC-life, the longest my hair had ever been was just past BSL. But then, after I reach that goal, I might chop back to TB or waist.

Having said all that, I never had a wish to shave my head. If you really want to do that, well, go for it - and if you then realise you have made a mistake, you'll be back to waist in a few years' time! :D

wavyR
March 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I've gone from hair down to my waist to one of those inverted bobs that stopped just below my jaw line. Would I do it again? Probably not, but only because my hair gets curly when it's that short and it makes me look younger than I am. (I'm 24, and can easily pass as an 18 year old) I used to straighten it all the time, and all that damage is something I don't want to relive again.

Right now my hair is BSL and I'm aiming for waistlength. I do see myself getting bored of it someday and possibly cutting it back to BSL or a little shorter.

I would never shave my head. I have a flat spot and the back of my skull and I think I would for a very unattractive bald girl :P

spidermom
March 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM
If you really want to shave your head; I think you should go ahead and do it. It'll give you a fresh start, and you'll be able to mark that goal off your list.

There are a lot of awkward stages between no hair and long hair, though. Of course, you get to try every length, so that will be kind of fun.

lapushka
March 25th, 2011, 04:06 PM
If it's just a case of, this is not what I thought my hair at goal length would be like, full of splits and all this hair dye to grow out (disappointment), then don't take it out on your hair by shaving your head thinking a shaved head is going to be *the* solution and so great (it really isn't, try growing back out from there, it makes growing out dye a piece of cake). If it's truly a strong desire to shave your head and start over, go for it, as the chances for regret are going to be a lot less.

Firefox7275
March 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I've cut my hair from mid-length to short several times, mainly because I haven't ever had a proper goal, haven't enjoyed the journey and haven't ever known how to style longer hair. This time I am cutting out the worst of the damage before I think about letting it get longer. I can't imagine ever cutting short again because growing wavy layers to SL is a PITA! :p

bumblebums
March 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Didn't you start a thread about shaving your head a while ago? Sounds like it's been a lot more than 2 weeks. Just go for it. It is better to regret something you did do than something you didn't do. At the very least, you'll be able to weigh in knowingly next time someone asks what it's like to shave one's head :)

long&blonde
March 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Klcqtee, Loved what you said "I'm not a big fan of compromise." Me neither! I love shaved heads, and the confidence of those rocking them. I also love the look of crewcuts with pastel Easter Peep colors on the top. I'm a big fan of crazy colors;were I you, if I made my mind up to shave? I'd dye it fire red or white or magenta first. To see the look of wild color on your mane of hair. I'm 56: and this is my take on it! I've hit goal too;waist. And this is the closest I've come to cutting/trmming/layers. Think I will let it grow to a solid couple inchs below waist,then get a healthy trim(no trims at all,a good two years now) back to waist. Then see how I feel. But I totally relate to what you said. If you want to:go for it,and have fun along the way!

silverjen
March 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I shaved down to 1/2 inch all over, very close to a full shave. I estimate it will take 2 years for my longest layers to reach shoulder. I grow kinda slow. Just wanted to let you know what time frame you'd be looking at to grow a shave out.

I loved having hair that short--for a while. I got looked at pretty much wherever I went. Well, except during a vacation to NYC, no one looked twice there! I eventually got tired of the attention, though, and after a while started to feel weighed down by the occasional stares. Again, just my experience. Some people thrive on attention but I am not one of them.

Good luck!

MeganE
March 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
If you want to shave your head, maybe now's a good time, before you get any closer to your goal, you know, get it out of your system?

I had the same thought. If it's something you really want to do, you might as well do it now. But if it was me, I think I'd try cutting it back to virgin hair first, I think you said that starts at shoulder length? Once you get to shoulder length, you might feel like you wouldn't have wanted to go through growing from shaved back to shoulder again. (That takes, what, two years?).

But yeah, if you've always wanted to shave your head, and you think you always will, and you're always going to take great care of your hair... then it sounds like there will never be a better time to do it. Just be really really sure!

Speedbump
March 27th, 2011, 12:41 AM
If shaving your head is on your "bucket list," and you don't like the quality of your hair, then I say go for it. But only if you honestly feel you won't regret it afterward. Several members here, at least one of which has VERY long hair now, started from shaved. It really is a wonderful way to start over, if you can stand the drastic change.

Again, if it's something you always wanted to do, then it sounds like there's no time like the present, based on your post. :cheese:

NouvelleNymphe2
March 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
It will take you >1year to get it to chin, and it will still be very uneven when you finally do reach your chin. I strongly encourage you to either 1 keep growing and slowly trim. Or if you must cut, why not cut to your shoulder where the dye starts? Either way, congrats on reaching your goal! :)

TheBluffs
March 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I've decided on my goal (Classic). When I reach classic, I will maintain.

Or my other, more lickly route: Grow to classic, keep growing, keep growing, oil, grow, oil, grow to knees. ;)

spidermom
March 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I did it! I cut back to tailbone straightened (haven't seen it natural yet) and got long layers. I've wanted to do this for SOOOOOOOOOOO long, but I made myself get to my goal of classic first. I'm glad I did, but I'm so happy with the change.

Slinks
March 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I did it! I cut back to tailbone straightened (haven't seen it natural yet) and got long layers. I've wanted to do this for SOOOOOOOOOOO long, but I made myself get to my goal of classic first. I'm glad I did, but I'm so happy with the change.
way to go spidermom !! :-)

dollface
March 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
i haven't reached my goal length but i've always regretted chopping off a lot and am never happy about the choice a few months later....i recommend the 2-week rule and maybe come hair treatments in the time you have to wait.

McFearless
March 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Hmm....do the split do all the way up to your shoulder? I'd just trim off the damage and leave it alone. Having dyed tips looks cool to me. However if a shaved head is one of those things you HAVE to try out I think its best you do it now than say at classic length, virgin. No matter what you should sit on this for a month at least.

UltraBella
March 28th, 2011, 11:49 PM

I really really really really hope you have pics to post asap ???!?!?!?! I am DYING to see it !!!!!!

To the OP, I hit my goal of tailbone and immediately cut back to hip but I really wanted to cut it to waist and chickened out. Now I am growing it back to tailbone, I think...... But I have never regret cutting my hair, I enjoy change. Do whatever makes you happy. If this is the time in your life when shaving your head would make you feel WOW, shave it !

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I also don't know what to do and I haven't even reached my goal yet. But I have a ton of split ends that I have to trim, very soon it's looking horrible

ericthegreat
April 2nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
Well, I haven't even reached my official goal length yet, but I know myself enough to know that I would never want to chop off all my years of hard earned growth. I might cut back to a more manageable length like tailbone or hip, but it would never be a buzz cut or a shaved head. And shaved heads or very short cuts are also quite high maintenance, since the cut is so short once your hair grows back even 1/2 inch, the cut will fall out of shape and will need to be re-cut again.

Sunshineliz
April 2nd, 2011, 06:39 AM
Well I didn't shave my head, but I did the equivalent for me. I chopped mine to just barely shoulder length when it was nearly to waist. I nearly cried afterward-- and my DH was in shock-- but once I got used to it, I think I like it! My hair was pretty damaged though as I'd only trimmed about twice a year and hadn't done a good job taking care of splits. The hair didn't feel nice and silky and I didn't like the look anymore and it was constantly driving me crazy!!

I had plenty of time with the long hair though as it was waist or tailbone length all through high school and part of college and since then been wavering between BSL and waist through several chops to clean up the ends. I might go longer again, but if I do it will be carefully and slow so my ends stay nice and silky ALL the time.:cheese:

Sunsailing
April 2nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Nope. I took me 3.5 years to reach waist length. I had short hair all my life. I'll keep it long. (7 years thus far...)

KrissyKitty
April 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
This is exactly how I ended up with my 2 inch (now 3 1/2!) inch pixie.
I grew my hair to somewhere between BSL and Waist. I had reached my goal, and realized my hair was badly damaged. Although now that I've seen videos of myself with hair that long I realize it looked gorgeous and I was probably the only person who ever noticed the damage at close range. Gosh, I'm babbling.

Ok, so I chopped into a pixie. Now I hate it and am waiting very impatiently for it to grow back. This will take probably 4 years (maybe 3). And yes, I followed the 2 week rule. It was just something I really wanted at the time but now regret. But I'm looking forward to this journey too. I have such an opportunity to grow my hair healthfully and really take care of it from the beginning. Plus I'll get to experiment with all sorts of hair lengths and 'dos and hopefully figure out exactly what I like.

Do whatever your heart tells you and remember (this is easy to forget on this forum) it's just hair and will grow back no matter what you do to it. Also, you're sparkling personality, not your hair, is your crowning glory. Good luck! :cheese: