PDA

View Full Version : Hair friendly elastics and hairtoys.

alxardnax
March 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
I am trying to regrow out my hair and have decided to incorporate protective updos because I never really wear my hair up. I know elastics can break off the hair but I wanted to know if there are any on the market that not damaging to the hair. I also wanted to know if anyone can recommend hairtoys. It would be great if you can recommend specific brands and whatnot so I can go out and try them out! Thanks!! :)

frizzinator
March 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Use the hosiery type of elastic, they are the most safe. Sometimes I can find them at the local drug or grocery stores. You have to examine them closely because they look just like the other elastics, except they have no seam and have raw edges that curl under.

I made my own from children's tights, by cutting across the legs, about two inches wide (they don't remain wide), resulting in a seamless circle with the edges curling under. They stretch with use but shrink when washed.

If you want hair accessory suggestions, you should give us an idea of your hair's length, texture and circumference of your ponytail.

alxardnax
March 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Oh! I know exactly which elastics you are speaking of. I have not seen those in so long I had forgotten about them. Thank you!

My hair is right above bsl due to a recent chop. My hair is 2a, M, and I have not measured my ponytail circumference but I believe it would probably be ii.

frizzinator
March 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
I could only put my hair up in a french braid or ponytail when my hair was your length, so I will recommend the France Luxe brand and Flexi-8.

alxardnax
March 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
I could only put my hair up in a french braid or ponytail when my hair was your length, so I will recommend the France Luxe brand and Flexi-8.

Great! That really helps because like you said, I find that at this new length there are not many styles I can do. Thanks again for the help!

Fingolphin
March 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Use the hosiery type of elastic, they are the most safe. Sometimes I can find them at the local drug or grocery stores. You have to examine them closely because they look just like the other elastics, except they have no seam and have raw edges that curl under.

I made my own from children's tights, by cutting across the legs, about two inches wide (they don't remain wide), resulting in a seamless circle with the edges curling under. They stretch with use but shrink when washed.

If you want hair accessory suggestions, you should give us an idea of your hair's length, texture and circumference of your ponytail.

I have always used these as well; the store-bought ones. They work great and are generally not damaging to hair. Recommended.