PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with my braid

Les
June 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I've slept with my hair in a braid for a few years and it usually works really well for me, but I am starting to have some issues. Now that we are in the hot summer months (at least where I live) I'm not sleeping as well - which means lots of tossing and turning. My braid will sometimes wrap itself around my neck - which isn't always comfortable. Even worse, sometimes I can flip around fairly quickly in bed, which if I am at the wrong angle can launch my braid up into the air and it will arc around my head like a whip and land - rather suddenly and startlingly - on my wife.

Does anyone else's hair do anything odd while they sleep? Does anyone have any tips or techniques for keeping my braid from having a mind of its own while I sleep?

wolf girl
June 13th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I'm a bun sleeper because of that reason. I pile it on the very top of my head and secure it with a scruchie. It doesn't look very nice but it is very comfortable and I have beatiful waves in the morning!

harley mama
June 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Les, I have been fighting my braid more lately, too.
I tend to end up laying on it and waking up because the mattress is lumpy!
I keep thinking I am going to try a sleep bun. The reason I have not is I seem
to get more tangles if I try to pile my hair up high on my head. I must be doing
it wrong because the sleep bun works for so many others.

HotRag
June 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Maybe you could clip the braid up on head?

I have no problems with sleeping in braid or with hair out, but I can find myself beeing nailed to the madrass by my dog sometimes. ^_^

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I am a top-of-the-head scrunchie bunned sleep person now. I don't twist my bun before fastening it with a scrunchie. It doesn't bother me at all, and I don't wake up with tangles. I find this much more comfortable than my old sleep braid.

PseudoScot
June 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't tend to use a sleep braid, I sleep with it loose but when I do a sleep braid I actually find two works better. I have two braids to chase around but both are smaller and more easily slept-on that one thicker braid at the back of my head.

Anje
June 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I usually put my hair in a bonnet, which may not be an option you'll consider. Now that it's summer, it's getting a little warm, too.

What if you just doubled the braid back up and secured it near the base/end with a scrunchy?

hurricane_gia
June 13th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've always been a restless sleeper, but I also have always been very picky about my sleeping arrangements. When I turn over in bed, I don't just turn over, I smooth my pajamas to make sure there are no bumps under me, then tug the sleeves down so there are no drafts around my wrists, I swipe across my pillow to look for shed hairs that could tickle my nose, I adjust my sleep-mask (yes, I have a sleep mask, I am that delicate :)) and then, last but not least, I lift my braid and lay it on the pillow next to me. I do all this about four times a night. :D

You might try a sleep bun instead of a sleep braid.