View Full Version : I've got a two day interview. Help me with my hair!

LadyGoddess
March 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have a two day interview for a librarian position. My hair is nearly to my knees with some tall-tale signs of different colors of past hair dyes in it (my hair is dark brown and I lighten it up to mahogany). The stylist butchered my bangs, so instead of being long and side-swept, they hang down uselessly and tend to look greasy. >_>

However, for this interview, I want to make sure to strike the right notes. I don't know how to do any fancy braids and own only elastic hair bands and bobby pins. I can make a chignon. Do you have any other suggestions?

Panth
March 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
If you want to show an image, you'll have to put it on an online photo site (there's plenty of free ones - e.g. photobucket).

When I went to an interview (with classic-length hair), I did a log roll held with a flexi-8 or, for a more scary one, a plaited cinnabun held invisibly with pins made from double pointed knitting needles (as I felt the flexi was too fancy).

There's some recommendations I have:
1) Off your face, and preferably up and off the collar too if the interview is for anything any where near "formal" and/or if it's for anything involving food.
2) Something you are familiar with and can do well and easily - you don't want to worry if it will hold, need to be adjusting/fiddling with it - it should hold all day. Also, it should be easy enough that you can re-do it in the bathroom if you have to.
2) B) Consider what you will have wherever you're staying for the interview - is it a hotel? Friend's house? Your house? Will you have a mirror? A large mirror? Two mirrors? How early will you have to get up to go to the interview? How much earlier will you have to get up to do the hairstyle?
3) Something that uses hairtoys that are subtle. Think of them like jewellery - you wouldn't wear more than a simple, subtle necklace/earrings with a smart suit. The more formal the interview, the more subtle the hairtoys. For the most formal, consider "invisible" stuff like bobby pins, hair pins or hairscroos.
4) Consider the actual hairstyle. For formal interviews, a pretty good guideline is: up, off the collar, nothing around the face except a fringe, no loose hair (e.g. a peacock twist wouldn't be ok). For uber-formal, consider that some professions (e.g. finance) consider plaited buns to be unacceptable. So, for the most formal, a medium-height, circular non-plaited bun with no visible hairtoys and no loose hair anywhere, even around the face.

If you feel you want to slick back your hair and prevent flyaways, you can try mixing coconut oil and aloe vera gel 1:1 and using it lightly as a hair gel. It doesn't have the greasyness of pure coconut oil and won't be drying in dry atmospheres, unlike pure aloe vera gel.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Go with something you know will hold and be out of your way. A chignon sounds perfect.

dragonette@1
March 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
I vote for either a chignon, or a braided bun. Be comfortable and confident. Good luck!