PDA

View Full Version : What's an ' Incoming Friend Request ' ??

Delila
March 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I've gotten a notification that I have an ' Incoming Friend Request ' but I don't know what it is!!!

Help!!!

Anyone know??

What does it mean? What's it DO?

Feeling clueless, so any input is welcome. :)

harpgal
March 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Delila, if you look at the top of your screen, you will see a bar with "UserCP" in it. Click on that and then you will see a bar along the left side of the page. Under "Networking" you will see "Contacts and Friends". Click on that and near the bottom of that dialog box you will see someone asking to be your friend. Check the box for "yes" and save the changes.

You can also access the friends dialog box through your own profile.

Flaxen
March 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Also, in the upper right, where it says, "Welcome Delila", you can click on "Notifications" and a whole list of stuff will drop down. Then click on the friend request to accept or deny the friendship. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_buddy_explain) in the FAQs, you can read about friends and contacts.

HTH!

Delila
March 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the extra advice, I do appreciate it.

I'm still not sure I 'get it' though, and I'm not sure I understand the implications.

When someone's a 'Friend', does it change anything in the way you experience the boards??

For example, on the old board, you could Ignore someone, and not see their posts. I tried it once, just for giggles, and it made for a really strange viewing experience.

Does being on someone's Friends list mean anything in a technical sense, in that same way??

From your Public Profile page, you have the option to 'Break Friendship' which kind of makes me wonder what that means. Here's mine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=1702), if anyone wants to see what I mean, or just click on your own username in the top right of the screen to see your own Public Profile. So far, I have Dianyla and Teacherbear as Friends. (From your User CP you can see a 'buddylist (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/profile.php?do=buddylist)' which displays kind of differently.)

Just wondering.

Dianyla
March 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
The point of adding people to your Friends or Contacts list is so that you can control who sees your Blog and Photo Albums. When you administer your Blog and/or Photo Albums, you can grant different permissions to Friends and/or Contacts.

Access to Blogs and Photo Albums is no longer a community wide (100 posts/60 days) setting. It is user-specific now.

HTH! :)

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Suppose you deny a request.. will bombs go off on the other end?

Kidding.. but I mean.. what will the other person see?

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The point of adding people to your Friends or Contacts list is so that you can control who sees your Blog and Photo Albums. When you administer your Blog and/or Photo Albums, you can grant different permissions to Friends and/or Contacts.

Access to Blogs and Photo Albums is no longer a community wide (100 posts/60 days) setting. It is user-specific now.

Oh dear.... I viewd lots of photo journals of people I wasn't 'friends' with. :(

Dianyla
March 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Oh dear.... I viewd lots of photo journals of people I wasn't 'friends' with. :(
No, don't feel bad about that. We've simply changed the way it works so that people can have more control over their own content. If someone doesn't want you looking, they won't give you access to it. So if you do have access it's reasonable to assume it's alright. *shrug*

Delila
March 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Oh, I get it now. Too cool.

Thanks for elaborating.

I don't yet have a blog or photo album, I'm still debating how I want mine to be organized. My old journal was pretty much just a 'this is what I did to my hair on wash day' thread, which I'm not sure I need in quite the same way anymore.

Koala Kim
March 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM

This makes sense. Thanks for explaining! :flower:

Flaxen
March 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Running a test on that as we speak. Stay tuned...

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
As a follow-up question:

I originally meant for my friends to be just the people I converse with normally, but I'm suddenly popular. I want to keep everybody on my contacts, but what happens if I un-friend, but keep them in my contacts? Do they get notified? Will they be able to see my blogs?

Flaxen
March 9th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Nothing happens on their end.

PatGear
March 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Nothing happens on their end.Hmm. I hope I don't keep sending friendship request to someone after they've already denied it! :o If I do, it's only because I forgot I already sent it, OK? I'm not trying to bug/stalk you!

Dianyla
March 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I made a thread that describes Friends & Contacts in more detail:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=390

purplebubba
March 10th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hmm. I hope I don't keep sending friendship request to someone after they've already denied it! :o If I do, it's only because I forgot I already sent it, OK? I'm not trying to bug/stalk you!

According to the thread Dianyla just made a rejected friend request will show as a "Friendship Requested" on your list. Earlier I was adding someone and I accidently hit the Befriend button twice and it told me that I already had a request pending so I assume that if you did try to do the same with someone who had denied you, you would get the same message that you are already pending.

PatGear
March 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Dianyla and purplebubba. Now I can stop worrying about that!

PatGear
March 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Dianyla and purplebubba. Now I can stop worrying about that!
So even though you guys assured me that I didn't inadvertently stalked someone as of my last post. I think I did so just now! :brickwall

...Break a Friendship?
The ex-friend will not be actively notified of this change, but if they look at their Contact list the "Friend" box will be unchecked. You will no longer appear as Friends on eachother's Profile.
This is exactly what just happened. I looked and the "Friend" box was unchecked in one of my contacts. I thought I had accidentally unclicked the box at some point (my cordless mouse has spasms sometimes) so I clicked it and "save change". The status then changed to "Friendship requested". I suppose it could have done nothing , but I'm afraid that it actually means it went and send another friendship request to the person who just "unfriended" me? Eek! :eek: This is so embarrassing! :o

I do how to take "no" for an answer, really. :confused: I just got confused!

Maybe if I remove the person from my contact list, it will cancel the request? Would that work?

Edit: Drat! I couldn't figure out how to do that either!