PDA

View Full Version : look better in short hair?

luthien_belewen
March 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
I recently cut my hair back to a chin length, shaggy bob style--mainly to speed up my journey back to my natural color (almost there!). But, now I'm thinking I look better with short hair?! I have a small round face with delicate features. As I was growing out my hair, I was feeling like it weighed down my face. I still want to grow it back out after my color is back to normal. But how can I have long hair without feeling like it's heavy and overwhelming? Would bangs or layers help this? Would putting it in a "half-updo" help?

Toadstool
March 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
I would imagine bangs or layers or thinning would help. Could you have the same style you have now but just with the bottom layer longer? What are your reasons for wanting long hair?

mireillemt
March 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
I sympathize with you... I've worn my hair short for a few years and think that "down", it looks best. However, when my hair was long, I could put it into updos that framed my face really well. I can't do those with the short hair and the short hair requires so much time and money to maintain... not to mention the at least weekly bad hair day. So, if you want to keep growing, you can always look into some flattering updos!

turtlelover
March 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
Try letting it grow to shoulder length w/ some layers -- especially face framing layers in the front, and see if you like that. You can always try it, and then cut again if you still prefer the look of shorter hair.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Wear your hair how you like it. I know I look good in short hair. I had it short for many years. But how I look in short hair is irrelevant to me now; I want it long. Period. End of story.

Carolyn
March 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
What Spidermom said. It's all about what you like and how your hair makes you feel. A half up is a good way to get medium length hair out of the way and change it up a bit. Some light layers could be fun at your length too. I find bangs to be often overwhelming. They cover so much of the face. JMO of course. When you grow just a little bit more you should be able to do one of those cute little pony stubs.

Mesmerise
March 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
If you look good with short hair, I'd imagine you'd look good with updos too? If you want long hair but don't like the way it drags your face down when you wear it out, then you can always choose to wear it up a lot more! A half updo that adds a bit of height to your hair could perhaps also work.

luthien_belewen
March 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thank you for all these good tips!

I suppose I desire long hair because it's versatile and so pretty in a natural, old fashioned kind of way. I don't really like updo's, but I love braids and have yearned for a nice long English braid for quite a while! At the same time, I love my short hair because it's easy to style and I don't have to spend time fooling around with a "new" style or thinking about what I"m going to do with it each day.

Also, long hair's not as costly to keep up with. Although I like the short style, I need to get a haircut basically every month, which is expensive. My hair is fine and thick at the same time, so it becomes very unmanageable when I don't get a trim--like it looks like a shaggy bush, I look like a rebellious teenager! I like it when my ends are light and feathery and don't congregate around my face! Anyway, I think I'm sticking with the short hair for now until I get back to my natural color and then decide later if I want to grow it out.

Jenn of Pence
March 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
That's always the great thing... hair can be cut and yet it can still grow. ;) Even if long hair isn't for right now, it's always there as a possibility in the future. At the very least you'll appreciate a nice style and getting the dye off, and then who knows? :)

McFearless
March 22nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
You could have frace framing layers without having layers cut into the back of your hair if thats a concern. Bangs will help too.