PDA

View Full Version : dry ends or need a trim?

frizzalot
March 22nd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hi all,
I've noticed 1inch hairs on my lap when i comb my hair. Do hairs break off when they are dry or just need a trim?

I haven't trimmed my hair since February 2010.

thanks

ETA: i barely have any splits

MindBeforeMouth
March 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Maybe you should try a hair mask or hair treatment and see if the condition gets better. If it doesn't then you should get it trimmed.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Do the hairs have root bulbs on them? I regularly shed out short hairs.

If they don't have root bulbs, they're broken-off hairs, and you probably do need a trim.

CurlyZ
March 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I think after more than a year of no trims it wouldn't hurt to chop that inch off!
It won't be THAT much shorter, but much HEALTHIER!
I haven't had a trim in a year and chopped recently 6" off (baaad breakage due to bleach) and my hair feels great!

Anje
March 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
You might need a trim, since those little hairs are often broken ones as a result of white dots/higher-up splits. However, it never hurts to clarify and do a deep conditioning to moisturize your ends before cutting. Even if you do end up trimming, you might as well make sure the new ends are well-moisturized.

jojo
March 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
You could try CO washing for a week and if theres no improvement a trim may be in order.

I have just had this same problem, though I do have splits. I had been using a protein conditioner and I think this is what caused mine (do your hair products contain protein?) so ive CO washed for 1 week with high moisturisering conditioners (tresemme) and after just one week my ends are back to being soft!