PDA

View Full Version : Cause of split ends for me - common knowledge?

julliams
March 22nd, 2011, 04:48 AM
I sit here each night going through my hair and cutting out my split ends. I love doing it but I'm always amazed at how many I come across each day. I'm certain they are occurring each day and I was wondering what was causing it.

Well, as I was raking through my hair with my fingers as I normally do and came across a knot that was going to take a bit of working through. As I was untangling I noticed that many of the hairs involved in the knot were now split in various ways.

So I'm pretty sure that the process of me going through my hair looking for split ends is actually causing me to have more split ends.

So it seems benign neglect might well be best for the health of my hair.

Sorry if this is common knowledge - sometimes it takes me a while to notice something staring me in the face.

Spinny
March 22nd, 2011, 04:54 AM
Well, as I was raking through my hair with my fingers as I normally do and came across a knot that was going to take a bit of working through. As I was untangling I noticed that many of the hairs involved in the knot were now split in various ways.

So I'm pretty sure that the process of me going through my hair looking for split ends is actually causing me to have more split ends.

It sounds like the knot caused your split ends, not your looking for them. Unless you're trying to say that if you did not unknot your hair then it wouldn't split...but who wants knots?

julliams
March 22nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm causing the knots by running my hands through my hair all the time. I really don't get many tangles normally, so I think that when I pull my fingers through my hair, it causes the bottom of my length to tangle and I kind of pull through it. Am I making any sense?

I could be wrong but it just seems like it could be plausible.

Dina L.
March 22nd, 2011, 05:18 AM
When I look for split ends, I just take the lower part of my hair and look through it. Maybe try this way! :)

x0h_bother
March 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm causing the knots by running my hands through my hair all the time. I really don't get many tangles normally, so I think that when I pull my fingers through my hair, it causes the bottom of my length to tangle and I kind of pull through it. Am I making any sense?

I could be wrong but it just seems like it could be plausible.
Meeeeee too. I have never.had.somany.tangles.inmylife! as I do now. And I agree that it's because I touch my hair more.

krissykins
March 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Benign neglect is a seriously underrated art. I ignored my hair for like 15 months (took a break from LHC) and then BAM! Length. Healthy length, in fact. :)

spidermom
March 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I think you may be right. I've occasionally picked up a strand of hair to look for splits and had to kind of peel it away from other hairs because it all tends to clump together. One day it hit me that the act of separating strands by pulling them apart like that was likely causing new splits.

I also suspect combing while wet (even if my hair is full of conditioner).

Now I comb/brush my hair before I wash it, try not to mess it around too much during washing, and do my best to wait until my hair is dry to comb it. AND I try to limit S&D to the ends of my braids, although if my hair is down and I'm stuck waiting for something, I sometimes find myself pulling a strand up to examine the ends. Bad Spidey, bad!

torrilin
March 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Most of my tangles are *caused* by splits, not the other way around. There's no way a tangle can cause a 4-5" long feathery split with 3-5 bits peeled off the main strand. I'll often notice smaller splits as part of clearing out a nasty snarl, but it just isn't reasonable to blame the tangle for the splits.

Tangles can cause breakage, and for me breakage leads to splits on that strand eventually. So I do tend to cut out nasty tangles, since then I know I'm getting rid of bad bits.

alwayssmiling
March 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
I always thought it was the split/damage that caused the tangle in the first place. Hmmm...I will look closely next time to see if its me seperating the tangle that causes the split. Very interesting!

haibane
March 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
This seems very true for me. I stopped all forms of pulling my hair apart a couple of months ago, brushing, combing and even finger combing. I even hesitate to braid now because it involves separating my hair lol.

Mannaz
March 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
I've occasionally picked up a strand of hair to look for splits and had to kind of peel it away from other hairs because it all tends to clump together.

I so know what you mean Spidermom! This is exactly what i have to do, peel a section out the bulk of my hair. This peeling often causes weird angles instantly so it most likely causes splits too. If my hair is already even a little tangled, which it usually is, then it's many times worse!

I have suspected that doing a lot of S&D isn't good for my hair but I've sort of thought that the ends justify the means :D Of course this might not be the case with other hair types.

Thank you for this thread Julliams, I'll look into the benign neglect method too... S&D only a couple times a month when my hair is tangle free and well moisturized.

Slinks
March 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry if this is common knowledge - sometimes it takes me a while to notice something staring me in the face.

:lol: don't I know it ..

EmiliaF
March 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
I used to S&D quite frequently but stopped a few months ago because I also started to think that it seems like I am getting more and more splits. In the beginning I blamed the quality of the scissors and bought new scissors. Still, more and more splits appeared.
Then I stopped S&Ding and magically my hair is not splitting as much. I now have to look for a split whereas before they were everywhere.
I don't know if it's the touching and bending of the hair or if it's the angle at which you cut... no idea. But benign neglect works very well for me! If I see one that is badly split in multiple layers I will still cut it though ;)