PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair look like a ii or iii in my avatar?

TealDolphin
March 22nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
just wondering

Mesmerise
March 22nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
I'd say ii, but it's really one of those things that's impossible to guess... if you see my hair when it's looking all boofy you'd possibly think it was a ii/iii, when in reality it's very thin right now!

pepperminttea
March 22nd, 2011, 03:11 AM
It's difficult to tell with wurls and curls, but it definitely doesn't look thin.

Firefox7275
March 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM
What does your ponytail measure?

Tiina
March 22nd, 2011, 03:42 AM
I'd say ii but it's hard to judge by seeing it down only. I know mine looks much thinner than it actually is.

TealDolphin
March 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
I think when I last measured my ponytail it was 4.5 inches.

Kherome
March 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I'd say ii

Mesmerise
March 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think when I last measured my ponytail it was 4.5 inches.

In that case, it's a iii ;) Pictures can be very misleading.

spidermom
March 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Yup, looks like a ii to me, measures a iii.

littlenvy
March 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
In that case, it's a iii ;) Pictures can be very misleading.
Right!!
Lots of times I think people are mistaken about their classification from one or two pics that I see, until I see a different angle and its like OH :o they were right all along.
It goes both ways, mine looks ii but its really i.
Measurement is the only way too tell.

HintOfMint
March 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
DANG! 4.5 inches? It looks like ii, but looks like it's a very deceiving picture. Don't misunderstand me, it doesn't look thin, but it doesn't look as thick as it actually is.

Roseate
March 22nd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Lots of times I think people are mistaken about their classification from one or two pics that I see, until I see a different angle and its like OH :o they were right all along.

Or sometimes there's a measuring issue, too. There was one member here who had hair that looked thick to me, but she had "i" on her profile. One day she posted that she had been measuring all wrong: she had been measuring diameter of ponytail instead of circumference! She quickly switched to iii...

MissManda
March 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Measuring one's ponytail circumference is the only accurate way to determine hair thickness. Straightness or curliness can be very deceiving in their own ways, which can lead to a lot of confusion.

With a 4.5" circumference, you're most definitely a solid iii. :) It looks very soft and full of body.

I have observed that finer hair types, no matter the curl pattern, tend to look less voluminous than coarser hair types even if the ponytail circumferences are the same because the individual hairs are smaller as well as an overall "softer" appearance. This is not a bad thing by any means, it's just the way the hair behaves. :) Every kind of hair has its own unique beauty.

I also think a lot of the time, people confuse "thick" with "voluminous" (again, not a bad thing). On a similar note, my hair is fairly straight and doesn't have as much volume as other hair types do, which has led many people IRL (except for hairdressers) to assume that my hair is i/ii rather than the iii than it actually is.

Katurday
March 22nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
I am in the same situation as you! Mine looks like a i/ii, and its a solid iii (5 inches) but due to the way it lies and its straightness, you'd never guess. People touch my hair expecting less and they soon find themselves going "THERE'S MORE"

krissykins
March 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
My early pics looked thinner than what I have now as well. I also have a 4.5" circumference. :p

Yours looked like a ii/iii to me but you're definitely iii :)

McFearless
March 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
When you meaure your ponytail do you squeeze it within an inch of its life?

TealDolphin
March 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Haha thanks everyone.

And no, I don't squeeze it. :P

Oh, and how do you measure your ponytails? I want to make sure I'm doing it right. :P

MissManda
March 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Haha thanks everyone.

And no, I don't squeeze it. :P

Oh, and how do you measure your ponytails? I want to make sure I'm doing it right. :P

I measure my hair by putting it in a ponytail at the nape of my neck, making sure that I fasten it as snug as possible and close to my scalp. I then twist my ponytail one or two times to squeeze out any excess air, hold, and measure right below the elastic.

teela1978
March 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
wouldn't twisting give you a thicker measurement? I've always just ponytailed the heck outta it.

MissManda
March 23rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
wouldn't twisting give you a thicker measurement? I've always just ponytailed the heck outta it.

Hmm, I don't know about everyone else, but twisting gives me a smaller measurement... It also helps keep the string/tape in place because my hair is quite slippery.

Mesmerise
March 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
I am in the same situation as you! Mine looks like a i/ii, and its a solid iii (5 inches) but due to the way it lies and its straightness, you'd never guess. People touch my hair expecting less and they soon find themselves going "THERE'S MORE"

My daughter has hair like that too... it doesn't LOOK that thick (although when it's long and plaited it has a fat plait) because her hair is so fine. So when I tell people about how thick it is and how knotty it gets I'm sure they think I'm stupid lol. Well she had her hair cut to a chin length bob, with an undercut that goes to the top of her ears... and I measured the circumference of the hair I could get in her pony tail (lots fell out at the sides cause it's too short, and of course all that underneath hair is undercut so was missing) and it was still 3". I wish I'd known about measuring hair diameter before I cut her hair short, as I'm sure she'd get at least another 1.5 to 2" of hair there... sheesh... and her strands are just sooo fine... she has an insane quantity of hair (I'm jealous...yes jealous of my own daughter).

Ostelot
May 4th, 2011, 04:39 AM
The issue described here is very familiar to me. My hair is very slippery, tangle-free and usually quite straight, so you can't usually see any volume. It's possible to create some temporary volume e.g. with braid waves but the hair will get flat automatically during an hour. But during that hour my hair even looks thick.

The circumference of my ponytail has still been something between 9cm and 11 cm during the years I've been following it up. It's hard to measure because of shorter bangs, that do reach the ponytail but not easily. The measuring day and place where measured also impacts on result. I know that some people think that any bangs shouldn't be measured to circumference at all, but I consider the original hair type should be measured that way. Some people that have just saw some pictures of my hair have been surprised about actual the amount of my hair.

About the hair type. I have a few F hairs close to my face, but most of the hair is M. And due to my fringe, most the hair that can be ponytailed or gathered to the updos. Perhaps I should classify my hair "some F, most M". So this propably isn't just F hair issue.

Mina17
May 4th, 2011, 05:36 AM
My hair is mostly fine and thick too, but it is not really that apparent except when it is short. I was buying a new claw clip the other day and the checkout girl told me she liked that clip design but it really only works with thick hair. I think she was insinuating she didn't think I had thick hair.

jojo
May 4th, 2011, 06:07 AM
hard to tell because your a curly girly but its definitely not thin hair!