PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo/conditioner with cones made my hair softer...

TealDolphin
March 22nd, 2011, 01:10 AM
And I like that, so I want to keep using it; but will it do more damage in the long run?

Mirsha
March 22nd, 2011, 01:15 AM
Depends, do you damage your hair any way else?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185
"There is nothing in scientific research literature to state that the use of silicones in hair care products causes hair damage, over time or otherwise. Just the opposite has been observed by those doing the research and testing."

Go ahead if cones are what rocks your hair.

Yozhik
March 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
If it works for your hair, more power to you. :)

Many people here with longer lengths use cones because they give more slip and less tangles on the fragile ends.

I personally try to avoid them, but this is more to do with my attempt at reducing the amounts of chemicals in my life than with how my hair responds with or without them. :shrug:

Katze
March 22nd, 2011, 03:26 AM
I have found that I really do need occasional 'cones, just as I need occasional sulfate washes. The former makes my hair hang better, the latter gets my scalp clean.

As long as you treat your hair gently and don't use REALLY damaging products like bleach or hairspray, I think you can get away with a lot.

For a long time I thought that LHCers did not use (styling) products, and suffered trying to treat my hair 'right', but you know what? Lots of LHCers, especially wavy/curly people, do use various kinds of gel, serum, leave-in, mousse etc. I was really pleasantly surprised.

There are a lot of things here that have a bad rap (like wearing your hair down, which I also do) that are actually not horrible for your hair if you are careful and mindful of its overall condition.

hth!

TealDolphin
March 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM