PDA

View Full Version : Numbness when using Argon oil

Slinks
March 21st, 2011, 11:52 PM
Has anyone experienced a numbness on the face when using Argon oil ?? should I stop using it, this is the third time and I've decided it is definately the oil ..

Sundial
March 22nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
My reaction was different, my scalp itches and my eyes water

Slinks
March 22nd, 2011, 03:42 AM
K .. thanks for that answer, that brings me to ...
I was itchy the first time I used it, ALL over my upper body !! but I blamed the walnuts and cushews !?! one side of my face went all numb the next two times I used it and right now I have a headache galore and I have to admit a little scalp itching !!

I wonder if I should dilute it ?? what oil should I use ?? I wonder if it will dilute with water ?? or maybe with fresh aloe vera .. hmmm

ugh, this is a pain !! I love the results and this stuff is not cheap .. lol

julliams
March 22nd, 2011, 05:01 AM
I would stay away from it if you are getting this kind of reaction.

maria_asa
March 22nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
I would stay away from it if you are getting this kind of reaction.

What Julliams said. It sounds to me that you've got some kind of allergic reaction to it. Even if the oil is good for your hair it's not worth risking your health.

Sundial
March 22nd, 2011, 06:31 AM
I agree with the other 2 contributors

Itchies are just an inconvenience and I have stopped using it for overnight oilings. Instead I only use the argan oil for oil treatments because those are usually washed off within 2 hours of application. But in the case of numbness, it could be a more severe reaction to the oil.

If you insist on using it, however, how about using it as one of a few oils in a treatment to dilute its concentration (caramel treatment for example uses a few oils) and be sure to apply it only to the hair length. When you are done, keep your hair covered and prevent drips from getting on your skin. Try not to keep oil treatments containing argan oil on for too long and wash it out as soon as you can.

ETA: I also keep it away from my scalp. What I do is to keep the oils in a ziploc bag and only dip the ends of my hair in the oils so that it gets the benefit of argan and yet my scalp+skin does not come into contact with it. The only time the argan touches my skin is probably when I wash my hair after treatment.

If you decide that you wish to try out the above-mentioned method, it might be helpful to keep an eye out for any further abnormal reactions to washed hair (you may be sensitive to the extent that residues left behind even after shampooing may irritate you). This has happened to me prior to switching to natural organic products - I was allergic to my own hair because of some residual chemicals/particles left behind by some shampoo/conditioner. In which case, you should probably quit argan oil all together

In2wishin
March 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
One question: are you using pure argan oil or is it a mixture with argan oil in it?

If it is the pure stuff, I agree that it could be an allergic reaction to the argan. Are you allergic to tree nuts? Argan oil is expressed from a variety of tree nut.

If it is a mix, check the ingredients and see if there is anything that you know you are allergic too.

Kherome
March 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
I would stop immediately, and avoid it in the future. Allergic reactions can build over time, and you could be heading for anaphalactic shock.

pariate
March 22nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Yep, I agree with all of the above! I use it with no problems at all and checked into this thread out of curiosity.

Baobab oil is supposed to be an excellent substitute for argan oil and is cheaper. Sea Buckthorn oil is another, but is even more expensive than Argan, if I recall correctly.

In2wishin
March 22nd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Yep, I agree with all of the above! I use it with no problems at all and checked into this thread out of curiosity.

Baobab oil is supposed to be an excellent substitute for argan oil and is cheaper. Sea Buckthorn oil is another, but is even more expensive than Argan, if I recall correctly.

Camellia oil has many of the same properties as Argan oil too and the price is usually a little lower.

Slinks
March 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
yep you are all right, guess I'll just have to give it to some-one I know who looks after their hair ..

In2wishin no, I was not allergic to nuts at all, now I don't know .. will stop this argon oil and try nuts later in the future again, hopefully I have not given myself an allergy to them .. the first time I used this bottle I ate walnuts and cushews which is what I blamed ..

Sundial I did only apply it to my length even the first time BUT I put it up in a stick .. thanks for the other (bag) alternative way to use it, I'll not bother, I don't like the numb feeling :lol: :-)

Kherome I know !! not nice, I'm glad I ended up writing here .. I was trying to convince myself that I don't have a reaction, that it just causes numbness for some reason .. I'll just have to look out for something else .. thanks

Maria asa thanks :-) I agree, not worth it ..

Pariate I'm glad curiosity got the better of you :-) I'll have a look around and see if I can't myself some Baobab or Camellia oil .. or maybe some other type of oil I've seen mentioned ..

Julliams yep I'm going to stay away from it now .. it takes a while to figure out these things sometimes !! like I said I thought it was the nuts the first time ..

Lucia2
March 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Agree stay away from it - facial tingling/numbness followed by a headache sounds to me like it is triggering migraine with aura. (I got this from a Phillip Kingsley shampoo!).
If you are sensitive to it the more you use it the more you will react. Migraine can be triggered by bizarre things. Stop using it along with anything else you have changed (new food, new supplement, fabric conditioner/detergent the lot!) This is your 'baseline' of things you can use without issue. Gradually re-introduce then if you are still ok you can be sure it IS the argan oil.
I am a migraine sufferer and certain things will trigger aura too - fortunately they seem few and far between, other people can never pit the triggers down.
Hope that is of help.

enfys
March 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
You have adivce on stopping use, but as for what to do with it, maybe you could put it up on the swap board for one of the other oils?

I'm sorry you had a reaction; I hope it's not the start of a general nut allergy :(

Slinks
March 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Stop using it along with anything else you have changed (new food, new supplement, fabric conditioner/detergent the lot!)
Hope that is of help.

BIG help thanks :-) the oil was the only thing that was new

Slinks
March 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
You have adivce on stopping use, but as for what to do with it, maybe you could put it up on the swap board for one of the other oils?

I'm sorry you had a reaction; I hope it's not the start of a general nut allergy :(

I will look into the swap boards, I am in Aust though ??

I hope I can still eat nuts too .. I will give the oil at least 6 weeks to leave my system before trying them again ..

enfys
March 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
I will look into the swap boards, I am in Aust though ??

I hope I can still eat nuts too .. I will give the oil at least 6 weeks to leave my system before trying them again ..

There are plenty of people from that half of the world, and plenty willing to pay postage who aren't :D

julliams
March 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm in Australia - I might be interested. PM me if you like.

Slinks
March 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm in Australia - I might be interested. PM me if you like.

ah Julliams, I'm sorry I put it on the swap boards and got a PM, if it doesn't go thru I'll think of you .. I had thought to go into the AUST group but completely forgot as I left the computer to do a few things then when I got back, I just put it up on the Swap Board without thinking and you just reminded me that, that was what I was going to do .. :doh: :lol:

enfys thanks for the suggestion :-) swapping away to someone here on the forum ensures that it will be used :-) and not collecting oil/dust :lol: