PDA

View Full Version : How long should you wait between coloring?

RitaCeleste
March 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
OK, my roots are only 1/4 inch long but my red color faded A LOT. I have a new box of color (new brand) and... Well, how much longer should I wait? I have some damage so I'd be doing a protein treatment and using coconut oil to help protect it.

Amraann
March 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
When was the last time that you colored?

I usually wait as long as I can between coloring. 6-8 weeks.
Keep in mind your roots are virgin hair so they can handle the color... BUT if your color is seriously faded and you want to run it through the ends to brighten?
Just follow the package directions. Usually the last 10 minutes of coloring you run it through to the ends.

RitaCeleste
March 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
It has been 6 weeks I think but I ended up coloring then stripping then coloring again last time and had some damage. I might end up leaving it on the red longer than the 10 mins to freshen it up because reds have faded so fast and this is a whole new color. Also I'm afraid the coconut oil might make it take uneven or something. I'm sure people wouldn't swear by it if caused problems. I've had blotchy results in the past because my hair is so thick in places and this color is a cream not a liquid. I'll try the protein treatment first and see if I feel lucky. This new color swears its not as damaging but I've never tried the brand before.

krissykins
March 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM
6-8 weeks is a good time to wait. I'm glad you're doing protein/coconut oil treatments first - hopefully it will help :)

Firefox7275
March 22nd, 2011, 02:38 AM
I have been permanently colouring my hair red for eight years; everything I tried left the hair stripped but some faded faster than others. As far as I can remember, the only difference was the after-care conditioner/ shampoo. I haven't got a better colour-last from leaving the lengths longer than the recommended five to ten minutes. If your hair is thick you need two or three boxes of colour to get an even result. I only went down to one when I cut to shoulder length. Otherwise you end up having to really comb the hair to get colour on the lengths and that means tangles and stretching. :(

The vast majority of my fading is down to how I treat my hair - water is your enemy!! :p I've had to only use leave-on conditioner and wash less frequently (dry shampoo in roots). This isn't ideal for LHC, so I am considering the coconut oil shampoo method. Several people also say they have had good results from a vinegar rinse after colouring. With only a quarter of an inch of regrowth I would apply a semi-permanent at this stage, then do the permanent once your roots become visible. Otherwise in a year or two your lengths will be so overprocessed. :(

HTH.