PDA

View Full Version : S & D with regular scissors

Wish
March 21st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Do the benefits of S&D outweigh the negatives of using regular household scissors? Recently lost my sharp hair scissors, and wondering what would happen if I used regular scissors to trim split ends?:confused:

BrightEyes7
March 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM
From what I have experienced and seen others post, when you use regular scissors your hair gets white dots on all the ends and those turn into splits. So... I'd recommend to wait for your S&D mission until you have some new hair scissors.

Cirafly24
March 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
Agreed, you might do more harm than good by using regular (read: not as sharp) scissors. Rather than slicing neatly across the hair, dull scissors may instead crush the end of the hair, leading to more splits.

christine1989
March 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
There have been some real horror stories that came out of members using regular scissors only to cause more damage. Personally I use regular ones and haven't had any damage from them but that may be because I have very thick, resilient strands.

RitaCeleste
March 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
My hairs are thick to medium and coarse. Unless the scissors I use are so bad I have to hack with them, I don't really get splits from them. There was a thread about scissors floating around and recommendations for finding cheaper sharper ones.

Mesmerise
March 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
I think you can kind of tell whether the scissors work well or not. In the past I have done S&D with regular scissors (well usually more just a D than an S... you know, when you find a nasty split end that you need to get rid of NOW and there are no other scissors on hand), and some scissors are fine, and some are not so fine (I've also done it with nail clippers in a pinch lol). But yeah, there's a difference in the cut if the scissors are bad ones. So, give it a try on one hair and if it seems to snip well, they may be sharp enough for the job. If not... wait until you've got better scissors!

x0h_bother
March 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
I used a pair of heavy duty 'pretty sharp' scissors for a while. I'm not sure if they did more damage or not, but then I bought "hair scissors" but they were from the discount store. I like the hair scissors and I haven't seen a problem with them, they are sharp and I only use them for hair. I never trim with these, I would not recommend doing any real trimming with anything but sharp real hair cutting scissors. :)

ellen732
March 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM
When I get my professional scissors sharpened they test the sharpness by cutting tissue paper with them (or even a tissue would do), if it can glide through that they are sharp scissors.

RitaCeleste
March 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks! My odd looking utility scissors go right threw toilet paper so I'm pretty sure they are very sharp. Not sure but they probably came with a pricey set of kitchen knives. Its good to know they are okay, they've been getting regular use for everything for awhile. I was starting to wonder if our hair was just unusually tough.

aurorabridge
March 21st, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm glad that you have spare scissors that work. Before I got hair scissors, I had a horrible cycle of cutting my hair because of split ends and then having to cut my hair again because the scissors were causing more split ends. :(!