PDA

View Full Version : Barrister's Ball Hair Advice

HintOfMint
March 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM
I have a Spring formal coming up, I already bought a dress, and I'm wondering how to wear my hair for the event.
This is the dress:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160498660577&si=qRB4%252FFxh23lUBHqKtZOXhfcy8uI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I'm still deciding between up or down. If I wear it down, I'll probably do it in Veronica Lake waves or Dita von Teese curls. If I wear it up... well, that's where you guys come in.

I want to make sure that if I wear my hair up, it will be flattering. I like hair up with strapless dresses but I'm not sure if wearing it up flatters my face. It's more important to me to look pretty than be perfectly put together.

My album has two pictures of me, one with my hair up, the other with my hair down. Any opinions? Hairstyle ideas? Links?

jujube
March 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I'm completely updo-challenged, but based on your pictures I actually think your hair up is very flattering. That smile of yours!

CarpeDM
March 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM
I have a Spring formal coming up, I already bought a dress, and I'm wondering how to wear my hair for the event.
This is the dress:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160498660577&si=qRB4%252FFxh23lUBHqKtZOXhfcy8uI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I'm still deciding between up or down. If I wear it down, I'll probably do it in Veronica Lake waves or Dita von Teese curls. If I wear it up... well, that's where you guys come in.

I want to make sure that if I wear my hair up, it will be flattering. I like hair up with strapless dresses but I'm not sure if wearing it up flatters my face. It's more important to me to look pretty than be perfectly put together.

My album has two pictures of me, one with my hair up, the other with my hair down. Any opinions? Hairstyle ideas? Links?

I just went to a formal with a similar style dress. My dress was strapless and long like yours. Although I intended on wearing my hair up, I ended up wearing my hair in a half updo with the rest of it down. I liked it better down then up with that style dress for some reason, so the half updo was a happy medium...

Intransigentia
March 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Definitely up! (And that colour is going to be smashing on you!) To me the dress looks kindof Greek Goddess like, and to me that means an updo with a bit of volume and softness, and if you're willing to hurt your hair for an evening, a few strategically-placed spirally ringlet tendrils.

HintOfMint
March 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you for your replies!

I'm completely updo-challenged, but based on your pictures I actually think your hair up is very flattering. That smile of yours!

Oh thank you! You're very sweet.

I just went to a formal with a similar style dress. My dress was strapless and long like yours. Although I intended on wearing my hair up, I ended up wearing my hair in a half updo with the rest of it down. I liked it better down then up with that style dress for some reason, so the half updo was a happy medium...

Once I get the dress back from the tailors, I'll definitely experiment a bit to see if leaving it down will look nice with it.

Definitely up! (And that colour is going to be smashing on you!) To me the dress looks kindof Greek Goddess like, and to me that means an updo with a bit of volume and softness, and if you're willing to hurt your hair for an evening, a few strategically-placed spirally ringlet tendrils.

Thanks! I'm in love with the color, too. I'm thinking about pin curling my hair and then just bunching it up in the back with bobby pins, leaving a tendril or two down.

Mesmerise
March 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM
I am like you in that I don't really think I look as pretty with an updo as with my hair down! However, sometimes a half updo look can be very flattering and attractive, and still lets you show off your pretty long hair!

HintOfMint
March 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
I am like you in that I don't really think I look as pretty with an updo as with my hair down! However, sometimes a half updo look can be very flattering and attractive, and still lets you show off your pretty long hair!

Thank you for the suggestion!

I'm not too keen on a half-up just because it feels a bit prom/wedding-ish to me (completely irrational, I know, since I'm totally fine with a full updo:rolleyes:)

I want it either fully up to show off my shoulders, or fully down because it looks pretty.

RitaCeleste
March 21st, 2011, 08:54 PM
I liked it down. I could be extremely prejudiced against updo's on myself though. You'll look nice either way though.

Miss Catrina
March 21st, 2011, 10:02 PM
Personally, I'd leave it down. For whatever reason the image I have in my head is updos for poofy sorts of dresses, down for more understated ones.

BlueMuse
March 22nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
I like how your hair looks up. It may not happen for you, but I sometimes get a capelike effect when my hair is down which can look very strange with strapless things. Also, if it's up it's out of the way and you don't have to worry about it getting into anything. My hair has an unnatural attraction to frosting, punch, and nametags, so I tend to wear it up when I go out to an event a lot fo the time.

Firefox7275
March 22nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
I like your hair up best on you because it brings out your eyes and smile BUT I think a half up would look wondeful with that dress because that will give a 'peekaboo' effect on your back and shoulders. There are so many different styles of up or half up - it's curls that scream wedding to me, whereas lots of little plaits (braids) or lots of little twists feels more ... 'alternative' I guess.

Intransigentia
March 22nd, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm thinking about pin curling my hair and then just bunching it up in the back with bobby pins, leaving a tendril or two down.

I think that would be absolutely exquisite!

spidermom
March 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Oooh; nice dress; have a ball!
Hair-wise, I don't think you can go wrong. (other than not washing it and not styling it)

torrilin
March 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
You're pretty both ways, so whatever you pick will be fine.

I don't like having hair in my face, so I'd tend to go with up.

HintOfMint
March 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
You're pretty both ways, so whatever you pick will be fine.

I don't like having hair in my face, so I'd tend to go with up.

Aw thanks!

When I get my dress back from the tailor's I'm going to experiment a bit and post pictures and decide from there.

I just found out that it's going to be on a Thursday and I'll have class that day, so I'll probably have to go with whichever style takes the least amount of time and is the easiest to not screw up.

Now to decide on jewelry... Nice earrings for a more classic style, or a gold armband for something a bit different?

torrilin
March 23rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Keep in mind on the jewelry... it really will look like a fancier hair style if you have pretty hair toys. Even if your hair is down. And since you're planning to keep your hair long, this is a good opportunity to invest a bit in some nice things that you can drag out on a regular basis.

Sparkly side combs or pins with decorated ends are pretty versatile, so they might be good investments.

I like the gold armband idea, but it might end up looking a bit costumey, and it might be tricky to get all your jewelry to balance out and look like a coherent whole. A lot will depend on what other pieces you've got already.

(thinking about it... there's a reason so much American costume jewelry is rhinestone and fake pearls. they're just assuming all our good jewelry is diamonds or pearls, so of course it coordinates)

HintOfMint
March 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Keep in mind on the jewelry... it really will look like a fancier hair style if you have pretty hair toys. Even if your hair is down. And since you're planning to keep your hair long, this is a good opportunity to invest a bit in some nice things that you can drag out on a regular basis.

Sparkly side combs or pins with decorated ends are pretty versatile, so they might be good investments.

I like the gold armband idea, but it might end up looking a bit costumey, and it might be tricky to get all your jewelry to balance out and look like a coherent whole. A lot will depend on what other pieces you've got already.

(thinking about it... there's a reason so much American costume jewelry is rhinestone and fake pearls. they're just assuming all our good jewelry is diamonds or pearls, so of course it coordinates)

A hair comb would be quite nice, I'm browsing through Etsy right now.

I've already decided on an armband, but the one I chose is a pearl and silver one, so it's not going to look like a Cleopatra costume. (speaking of whom, RIP Elizabeth Taylor).

I'm not going to wear any other jewelry besides an arm band, the emerald ring I wear every day (sentimental reasons) and possibly a hair comb. I'm generally pretty spare when it comes to accessories, so I won't have to worry about coordinating.

torrilin
March 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
I usually am too.

Seriously, if at all possible, do a trial run before the big day, and get someone you trust to take a picture of you. For formal stuff, I always wind up looking seriously under-dressed, because I pick beautiful classic clothes, a beautiful classic hairstyle and then... no jewelry at all. At one point, my knitting group had to yell at me to put on a few things, because there's spare and then there's too austere. And I was doing way too austere as a bridesmaid at a wedding where the bride's outfit included peacock feathers and a whole garden's worth of flowers in her hair...

I can't recommend repeating that mistake, y'know?

Arctic_Mama
March 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'd go down, with that dress.

HintOfMint
March 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
I usually am too.

Seriously, if at all possible, do a trial run before the big day, and get someone you trust to take a picture of you. For formal stuff, I always wind up looking seriously under-dressed, because I pick beautiful classic clothes, a beautiful classic hairstyle and then... no jewelry at all. At one point, my knitting group had to yell at me to put on a few things, because there's spare and then there's too austere. And I was doing way too austere as a bridesmaid at a wedding where the bride's outfit included peacock feathers and a whole garden's worth of flowers in her hair...

I can't recommend repeating that mistake, y'know?

I dig, sister, I dig.

That's a pretty funny image, what with the peacock feathers and everything, and I completely relate. One of my friends always has big earrings, bright lipstick, and lots of colorful clothes, while nearly my entire closet is comprised of neutrals and I rarely wear jewelry or bright makeup. Seriously, my favorite outfit is a white button up shirt with a full, high waisted, calf length skirt, with taupe heels. She always heaps on the praise when I wear lipstick though, haha.

Speaking of peacock feathers, my dress in real life is less of an emerald green and more of a teal color (I don't know if it shows up that way on your computer monitor). So, I'm thinking of putting a peacock feather in my hair, like attached to a comb. Just a small one, nothing too big. Anyhoo, thanks for the idea!

And yes, I will absolutely do a trial run. I'll have to, since I'm not going to have all the time in the world to get ready, and I want to iron out any kinks in advance.

RadiantNeedle
March 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wow... I totally misinterpreted the title of this thread...
I am so bad..

HintOfMint
March 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Wow... I totally misinterpreted the title of this thread...
I am so bad..

HAHA! Whoops!:rollin:

HintOfMint
March 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
OH DEAR. The weather forecast calls for rain. What am I going to do about my bangs??? Any recommendation for a SERIOUS humidity repelling product? Cones, whatever, it can have the blood of virgins in it as long as it works.

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 03:03 PM
A hair comb would be quite nice, I'm browsing through Etsy right now.

I've already decided on an armband, but the one I chose is a pearl and silver one, so it's not going to look like a Cleopatra costume. (speaking of whom, RIP Elizabeth Taylor).

Speaking of peacock feathers, my dress in real life is less of an emerald green and more of a teal color (I don't know if it shows up that way on your computer monitor). So, I'm thinking of putting a peacock feather in my hair, like attached to a comb. Just a small one, nothing too big. Anyhoo, thanks for the idea!

The armband and peacock feathers sound lovely. :) If you go for a fully up-do you should wear something around your neck or you may look a little bare.

oktobergoud
March 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Deeeefinitely up! I think it would look very classy with that dress :)

Also, speaking of peacock feathers, there are also pretty peacock earrings. Just real peacock feathers on a hanger, could be very pretty as well :)

HintOfMint
March 31st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Big night is extremely freaking nigh and my hair has been washed, moussed, lightly blow dried, and is in pin curls as I type. My hair is covered in a silk scarf and I'm wearing sunglasses a la Greta Garbo in hiding--minus the cigarette and cigarette holder.

I decided to have it down but pin curled. Unfortunately I did not do a trial run with this particular mousse (TIGI Foxy Curls Extreme Curl Mousse), so I'm a bit nervous about how it will turn out.

Unfortunately, forecast still calls for rain, so I'm packing bobby pins.

As for the rest of my outfit, I'm wearing a pearl necklace, pearl arm band, and small pearl earrings.

So... set... curl... match!

Wish me luck for tonight and thank you all for the input and encouragement!

Firefox7275
March 31st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Have a wonderful evening, be sure to take and post photographs! ;)

selderon
March 31st, 2011, 04:38 PM
Get pictures! And have fun. :D