PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had itchy scalp BECAUSE of olive oil?

shikara
March 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
After an olive oil overnight treatment a few areas of my scalp were itchy. I have also felt one or two areas that might indicate buildup. I switched to Mane n Tail moisturizing shampoo about two months ago and have really liked it so far. (I'm wondering if some residue could mix with the oil and harden?) I reverted back to trusted and true head and shoulders for one wash in case that was the problem, but it didn't really fix it all. I just scritched and it feels better for now, and will make sure to use an ACV rinse after my next wash, but I'm trying to determine the cause. Can I rule the olive oil out or has it caused a problem for anyone else?

skyblue
March 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
My scalp tends to itch too olive oils helps, I've never noticed that is caused the itch, acv is great for itchy scalp too I use that often
lol forgot your question! I used mane n tail before and it really dried out my hair so I'd say that it would cause an itch, however it wasn't the moisture shampoo, I don't know about the build up issue though so hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in

Anywhere
That happens when I smother my scalp in EVOO as well. Coconut oil works much better for me. My scalp can't seem to "breathe" and flakes up into oily flakey gunk. I think it's because my EVOO is kind of old (not sure if its rancid but it is old. It smells a bit like peanut oil..)

Perhaps your oil is old too?

Miss Catrina
I feel a tiny bit itchy sometimes when I have olive oil IN my hair/on my scalp, but it doesn't last once it's out. Is it possible you have some kind of allergy?

braidedbelle
March 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Try using clarifying shampoo before the olive oil?