PDA

View Full Version : Dr Oz and heat styling

julliams
March 21st, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm in Australia so we get shows much later than the US but today there was a segment on hair called "Stop Damaging your hair". I can't find a link that will actually work. Dr Oz showed how when you fry an egg on a hair straightener, it literally cooks. He explained that the proteins cook inside the hair (which is contrary to what I had heard about the water boiling and exploding). He said you need to give your hair time to heal inbetween using the straightener which would suggest that it can repair itself to some degree. I found this totally contrary to what I understand about damaged hair - that it cannot repair itself. He recommended to the lady that she limit herself to using her straightener no more than twice a week (lady was not buying it).

Any comments?

ElusiveMuse
March 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yes. I heat style my hair and I have read a lot of contradictory things about it. Some here claim this water boiling effect, here is Dr. Oz saying another thing. I've read it's the lesser of two evils if your alternative is having hair with a roughed up cuticle because it will only snag further and cause more damage, and that there are safer (not 100% perfect, but safer) ways of using heat styling. I don't know. I think that like everything else, moderation is fine and the real story is somewhere in the middle of all these.

CurlyCyndi
March 21st, 2011, 01:07 AM
I believe the repair they mean is bringing moister back into the hair. no actually repairing something like split ends.. Dry hair can be repaired so can color treated damage... I think.

Mesmerise
March 21st, 2011, 02:12 AM
I'm really not sure how much you CAN repair damaged hair? I mean you can make it feel better and stuff, and smooth the cuticle, but once it's damaged...it's damaged!

Personally, I like heat straightened hair :o but I don't do it often at all, certainly not even twice a week or once a week! I may do it for a special occasion (like going out for my birthday or something). As it is I haven't done it since the end of January, and I don't want to do it more than a few times a year at absolute max.

julliams
March 21st, 2011, 04:03 AM
I'm the same. I break down and do it about every 3 months or so. I always regret it afterwards though because I swear I can feel a difference.

Firefox7275
March 21st, 2011, 04:17 AM
There is a difference between denaturing the keratin inside the hair and removing the cuticle cells from the outside, both are damage but you can't grow a new cuticle only use products to smooth or temporarily fill in the gaps. The bonds inside the hair can be broken and remade (as in a curly perm or relaxing) but that process is not 100%.

This looks useful tho I have only skim read it, just Googled to make sure my understanding was in the right ball park!! :o
http://www.austincc.edu/~emeyerth/tertiary.htm

ETA: this doesn't necessarily contradict the water-shaft-boil theory, the processes are not mutually exclusive. Is that story not based on microscopy?

Mesmerise
March 21st, 2011, 04:17 AM
I'm the same. I break down and do it about every 3 months or so. I always regret it afterwards though because I swear I can feel a difference.

I know...it's so nice WHEN it's done...but afterwards... YUCK! My hair needs super love and care after heat!

heartgoesboom
March 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM
i wish i can stop heat styling