PDA

View Full Version : Damage

shockinglength
March 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I am kinda boared with my hair right now =(

My hair is about 2 inches away from my goal (waist) It looks long, but that's it! It seems to have no 'style.' My horrible layers have not been been touched with scissors (besides s and d) for over 1 year. They look scragly and are dry and rough. My hair is thick, but it thins out at the hemline, and I've notices ALOT of split ends.

I've been thinking of cutting it up to BSL but I love long hair. Or maybe trimming 1 inch every 3 months. Or maintaining my current length. Restyling and cutting my layers so they look decent while not cutting too much off so they will grow out eventuall. Finally I have seriously been considering hightlights...I think they look so pretty and will be different. Or I might do a combination of these optains.

What do you ya'll think???

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I would cut the damaged ends off, does that mean going right back to BSL tho? Then get a close friend or your Mum to twist little strands and get all the split ends on the length - a fresh pair of eyes from a different angle will always see ones you have missed. I have permanently coloured my hair for years and it is difficult when the ends are badly damaged, everything tangles which could potentially damage your lengths. Once you have the ends gone, then think about whether you'd prefer layers or highlights, basically one step at a time. Have you looked into lightening with honey or cinnamon?

spidermom
March 20th, 2011, 05:39 PM
You could look up "how to cut a V-shape with layers" and freshen up the layers while giving you a new shape but not losing much length. I just looked at the video for that because I'm contemplating a few changes myself.

shikara
March 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Well, first of all, you've probably read the article about caring for damaged hair while growing it so you might want to review that again or read it if you haven't. I don't know if you have bangs or not but that really helps me not be bored with mine, plus I like how they can frame my face. I love styling that little bit. When I wore my hair in braids for years, I got my different 'looks' mainly with earrings. Do you wear your hair different ways? Do you use scarves or hairbands? Dry ends can be easy to fix up. I'm sure there must be a thread or two on here about that. What texture is your hair. Do you style (wave or curl) your layers (hopefully not with curling iron though). Good luck!

MeganE
March 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I would cut the damaged ends off, does that mean going right back to BSL tho? Then get a close friend or your Mum to twist little strands and get all the split ends on the length - a fresh pair of eyes from a different angle will always see ones you have missed. I have permanently coloured my hair for years and it is difficult when the ends are badly damaged, everything tangles which could potentially damage your lengths. Once you have the ends gone, then think about whether you'd prefer layers or highlights, basically one step at a time. Have you looked into lightening with honey or cinnamon?

Yeah I'd take it slow. Try cutting just the ends, an inch or two to start with. I was having a similar feeling about my hair, but when I cut off that much from the ends, my hair became much happier. It also feels a LOT shorter to me, and I'm glad I didn't cut any more, even though I was thinking about it. For layers, I've been using the "v-shape with layers" technique for over a year now (it's basically putting your hair in a ponytail on the top of your head and cutting off the end). I really liked it, because I have straight and fine hair, which tends to have no shape to it, but the layers really gave it a shape. In the end though, I decided that the way the layers were cut so perfectly evenly wasn't good for my fine hair. I've started cutting the back into a blunt u-shaped hemline, and I only trim the top of the ponytail to get rid of the split ends. I'm aiming long term for layers only around the front of my face, but I know my hair is in sort of a crappy stage right now. It takes time and planning to get where we want! For highlights, I always get great results with lemon juice in the sunlight, and it's definitely cheaper and I think it looks more natural. But overall I would suggest not doing anything drastic, and/or make sure you know what you want before making significant changes.

Mesmerise
March 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
First picture the hair you REALLY WANT in your head, and then ask yourself which of the changes you could make will get you closer to that hair!

If it's waist length, healthy hair you want, then get your hair trimmed an inch or so to get rid of some of the ends. If you like your hair with layers, then get your layers fixed up as well.

If you really want highlights, then consider getting a very few put in your hair (which is fine if your hair is healthy, and you're not getting too many because it won't affect the overall health of your hair too much).

But always keep what you REALLY WANT in mind, and don't make any changes that will take you far away from that!

Alexannee10
March 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm thinking the same way about my hair right now .. And I've taken the decision of maintening my hair lenght .. I cut about an inch every three months !

shockinglength
March 21st, 2011, 04:55 PM

Thanks, if I only trim the ends then my layers will honestly look like crap. If I cut them to make them look decent that means I have to wait even longer to be rid of them.

You could look up "how to cut a V-shape with layers" and freshen up the layers while giving you a new shape but not losing much length. I just looked at the video for that because I'm contemplating a few changes myself.

Hmmm I don't really like the v cut on myself, and I have decided to entirly grow out my layers.

Well, first of all, you've probably read the article about caring for damaged hair while growing it so you might want to review that again or read it if you haven't. I don't know if you have bangs or not but that really helps me not be bored with mine, plus I like how they can frame my face. I love styling that little bit. When I wore my hair in braids for years, I got my different 'looks' mainly with earrings. Do you wear your hair different ways? Do you use scarves or hairbands? Dry ends can be easy to fix up. I'm sure there must be a thread or two on here about that. What texture is your hair. Do you style (wave or curl) your layers (hopefully not with curling iron though). Good luck!

Um no I don't style them because they are like really long and scragely at the ends.

Yeah I'd take it slow. Try cutting just the ends, an inch or two to start with. I was having a similar feeling about my hair, but when I cut off that much from the ends, my hair became much happier. It also feels a LOT shorter to me, and I'm glad I didn't cut any more, even though I was thinking about it. For layers, I've been using the "v-shape with layers" technique for over a year now (it's basically putting your hair in a ponytail on the top of your head and cutting off the end). I really liked it, because I have straight and fine hair, which tends to have no shape to it, but the layers really gave it a shape. In the end though, I decided that the way the layers were cut so perfectly evenly wasn't good for my fine hair. I've started cutting the back into a blunt u-shaped hemline, and I only trim the top of the ponytail to get rid of the split ends. I'm aiming long term for layers only around the front of my face, but I know my hair is in sort of a crappy stage right now. It takes time and planning to get where we want! For highlights, I always get great results with lemon juice in the sunlight, and it's definitely cheaper and I think it looks more natural. But overall I would suggest not doing anything drastic, and/or make sure you know what you want before making significant changes.

Thank you!

spidermom
March 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
O.k. It sounded in your first post like your layers are in need of a freshening up. It would probably be good to take about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off to improve the way they look and feel. The last time I grew out layers, my stylist would cut about 1/2 inch off my length and 1/4 inch off my layers. By the end of 3 years, the layers were completely gone, but they looked good the whole time.

shockinglength
March 21st, 2011, 05:03 PM
O.k. It sounded in your first post like your layers are in need of a freshening up. It would probably be good to take about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off to improve the way they look and feel. The last time I grew out layers, my stylist would cut about 1/2 inch off my length and 1/4 inch off my layers. By the end of 3 years, the layers were completely gone, but they looked good the whole time.

Ok yeah I havn't had my layers cut in over a year. Maybe I'll get an inch off