PDA

View Full Version : Recommend A Great Deep Conditioner

angel_night
March 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi :)

I've been using kerastase products recently to try and improve the overall condition of my hair. I was recommended by the salon to use the ones which are protein based (the resistance range). Whilst it is definitely helping, I know that too much protein can also not be great for your hair so I'm looking for a really good deep mositurising conditioner/ hair mask to use alongside the kerastase products.

Has anyone tried any that genuinely work?

Thanks!

braidedbelle
March 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Aussie 3 minute miracle is incredible, and very cheap too! It's by far the best one I've ever used. Also, nexxus keraphix works well but it's a bit more expensive.

Kathie
March 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I’ve tried the kerastase products a few times off and on, to be honest I’m not a fan. They’re really coney and obviously so on my hair. It was just left feeling coated. But thats my hair though, they could work well for you :)
Why not try a SMT, its a very popular moisture treatment here?

Heres the link
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture+treatment

Amraann
March 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
TO those I would add Suave Cherry Blossom.

mixed with a little water in a spray bottle it is a nice leave in for the ends.

krissykins
March 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm! I get the generic at Sally's, but I'm tried the real one and it's super moisturizing! No protein in it, though.

FluffSpider
March 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
There would be a regular SMT OR... you could buy some yes for carrots pampering mud hair conditioner. I find it's horrible at detangling if rinsed instantly, but as a deep treatment, it's great. It has barely any cones or chemical stuff in it-chock'a'block natural extracts.

ElusiveMuse
March 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I really like the Aveda Damage Control with quinoa protein. I put a dollop through damp hair and leave in.

MissManda
March 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I love Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose as a normal or deep conditioner. It doesn't weigh my hair down but leaves my hair very silky-soft and moisturized. Not to mention it smells lovely if you like florals.

I also agree that SMT is awesome. :)

Kaijah
March 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose x10,000,000! Deep conditioner, regular conditioner, leave in - I use it for everything. I'm willing to attribute most of my hair's good condition to it.

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 04:58 PM
It's well worth reading through some of the Reviews - clicky at top of the page - the 'Conventional Products' board and the 'Recipes, Henna' board. The reason I say that is you will pick up a stack of other useful advice on your travels!! :cool:

The products that seem to get the most enthusiastic responses are Fructis Triple Nutrition (ordinary conditioner as mask, high in palm oil), Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment, all sorts containing coconut oil and/ or shea butter (e.g. Nightblooming Panacea, Fox's Conditioning Cream).

RitaCeleste
March 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I like the Honeysuckle Rose. I like it so much I just stocked up on it at Lakshmi's Cupboard. The kids bought me some kind of fructis stuff and it got used a couple of times and shelved. I haven't tried tons of products lately though. I have dry damaged coarse hair. The Honeysuckle Rose doesn't have protein so I use the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor occasionally.

GrowingGlory
March 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
For me, it has been NightBlooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil applied to my scalp, excess oil moved down the entire shaft with my fingers (including ends) and allowed to soak in, then NightBlooming Panacea's Hair Salve - (Summer or Winter) Treatment Blend on the last few inches of my hair. I leave it on for a day, then wash my hair. It seems to accelerate growth and the thinner spots on my head have filled in, so my hair seems thicker overall.

Chamomile betty
March 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I love Loreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss moisture yellow conditioner. Very moisturizing and smells good. I suggest Pantene Nature Fusion Moisture green conditioner as well.

JuneBride
March 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I mix equal parts of the new and old Aussie 3 Minute Miracles and leave it on for 6 minutes (or more) - No Joke - and it works wonders! (they work better together than separately!)

HintOfMint
March 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
SMTs are amazing. I modify it to include coconut oil and it pretty much turns into something perfect.

ElusiveMuse
March 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM
For me, it has been NightBlooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil applied to my scalp, excess oil moved down the entire shaft with my fingers (including ends) and allowed to soak in, then NightBlooming Panacea's Hair Salve - (Summer or Winter) Treatment Blend on the last few inches of my hair. I leave it on for a day, then wash my hair. It seems to accelerate growth and the thinner spots on my head have filled in, so my hair seems thicker overall.

Yes! Her stuff is so incredible. And I would slather that anointing oil and summer panacea salve all over myself to have the scent everywhere, it is one of my favorites.

MindBeforeMouth
March 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Aussie 3 minute miracle is incredible, and very cheap too! It's by far the best one I've ever used. Also, nexxus keraphix works well but it's a bit more expensive.
I also love Aussie 3 minute miracle. You should also try Garnier Fructis 3 minuture undo.

Slinks
March 20th, 2011, 10:59 PM
This is probably something you don't want to hear/see as it does not mention what you've asked for, A Great Deep Conditioner ..

BUT I have had great results with fresh Aloe Vera, peeled, blended with my root awakening condish, has 1 cone, left in for a day ..

Red_Wednesday
March 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm a huge SMT fan as well. I use banana baby food rather than a regular conditioner, and substitute veggie glycerine rather than honey. My hair LOVES it! Even better than my beloved Biolage Conditioning Balm (I never would have guessed:p).

ChloeDharma
March 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
I find the Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment (http://www.leestafford.com/uk/products/product.php?pi=120) amazing as a DT. Most reviews i've seen of it have agreed it makes the hair feel like silk and my sister who has quite dry coarse hair that's chemically and heat damaged also finds it turns her hair to silk.

Intotouch
March 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
That sounds wonderful! I've had good results with warm olive oil blended (for ages or you still get bits) with banana. I've left it in for an hour under hot towels and it helps loads,

I must ask you though, where did you get your veggie glycerine and why do you prefer it to conditioner in the recipe?

DTsgirl
March 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ion Intense Moisture Therapy Cream. AMAZING. One cone, Amoyaddasomethingcone. The one that washes out, I think it is. Anyway, AWESOME stuff. So thik it's like caulk, but distributes well, and is incredibly hydrating.

maborosi
March 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I recently switched over from my old Dove Intense Moisture deep conditioner, actually I switched my whole routine because it messed with my hair color job- to this Sally's brand called Miracle 7. It's expensive, but I leave the deep conditioner on for about 10-15 minutes once a week and it feels fabulous.

Jenn of Pence
March 25th, 2011, 09:48 PM
So, to echo the OP's concern about protein, do you all find that your deep moisture treatments help keep your ends soft, if you happen to be a person whose ends get kind of crunchy with too many proteins? I am actually in a very similar position...I just started using Nightblooming's panacea salve a few weeks ago, and while I love it, I can tell my ends are tending to dry out, crunch, and tangle because of the proteins. I just bought Aussie 3MM this week to address this problem, so I was wondering if anyone has a personal anecdote about curing the crunchy issue with any of the great treatments mentioned here. :D

Curly_jas
March 27th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Well I've been using Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol plus for the past couple months and i love it, it smells great, is creamy but not too thick, no cones (as far as i can tell) and is really cheap! I've nearly finished my tub so definitely buying another one when it's gone :D

julliams
March 27th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I’ve tried the kerastase products a few times off and on, to be honest I’m not a fan. They’re really coney and obviously so on my hair. It was just left feeling coated. But thats my hair though, they could work well for you :)
Why not try a SMT, its a very popular moisture treatment here?

Heres the link
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture+treatment

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Kerastase is so coney that my wavy hair went almost completely straight after a few weeks of using it. SMT works well for me. Also I've found Redken Fresh Curls which seems to do the job for me too. Finally I always like to recommend a coconut milk soak which you do before your wash (literally soak your hair for an hour in lite coconut milk) and then wash as normal. It always does wonders for my hair and super cheap too.

Artsy
March 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
So, to echo the OP's concern about protein, do you all find that your deep moisture treatments help keep your ends soft, if you happen to be a person whose ends get kind of crunchy with too many proteins? I am actually in a very similar position...I just started using Nightblooming's panacea salve a few weeks ago, and while I love it, I can tell my ends are tending to dry out, crunch, and tangle because of the proteins. I just bought Aussie 3MM this week to address this problem, so I was wondering if anyone has a personal anecdote about curing the crunchy issue with any of the great treatments mentioned here. :D
I have the same problem, and I think it is more because of the climate and heating and winter, than any products:( When I go to the West Coast, I just put on some glycerin and my ends come back to life. Here, all I can do is damp bunning my hair to help the ends, and do club soda soaks. Unfortunately it's all very temporary:confused:

annieangel149
March 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Kerastase is so coney that my wavy hair went almost completely straight after a few weeks of using it. SMT works well for me. Also I've found Redken Fresh Curls which seems to do the job for me too. Finally I always like to recommend a coconut milk soak which you do before your wash (literally soak your hair for an hour in lite coconut milk) and then wash as normal. It always does wonders for my hair and super cheap too.

yay to coconut milk!!!!! my hair loves it!!! :cheese::D

dollface
April 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
i use garnier nutris dry/damaged hair deep conditioning treatment, i leave it in for more than the stated time and it keeps my severely damaged hair soft (to better say how it performs, i have bleached my hair over 1o times).

summergirl
July 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Well it might not be what you are looking for exactly.. but personally, I don't like mainstream news because its focus is generally so negative. I don't like negative focus, I believe it brings more bad stuff into the world. So I LOVE www.happynews.com

1953Diygal
July 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
If you live near a Walgreens or Target, you might be able to try some of the moisture masques made by Shea Moisture. They make great overnight treatments and the ingredients lists are all natural...no hinky chemicals or cones.

celebriangel
July 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Though I have never tried the particular product you mention, I find that for deep conditioning, salon products full of cones do bugger all. Cones are good for some people for everyday protection, smoothing and shine, but they won't get moisture in your hair - just leave it coated.

I would clarify, then apply a good SMT with a coneless condish. Then, if your hair likes cones, you can use a coney leave-in to seal in all that lovely moisture.

FB
July 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I use a brand named BB. They have a deep conditioning masque that works great on my hair and it smellls real good too.

Safira
July 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well, recommends based on my curls: Aphogee 2 step protein treatment, Jessicurl Weekly Treatment, Panacea Original, Vatika Coconut Oil and Giovanni Smooth as Silk. And of course oils, avocado, camellia, coconut..

kitcatsmeow
July 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Just did a SMT treatment sub 1/2 the honey for coconut oil and made with Aussie 3mm. Awesome so far!