PDA

View Full Version : Curly wurly question

firicia
March 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I hope I am not asking too many questions, hehe, but I am on a "roll of wonder."

For those who have curly hair, especially the bigger loser curls, have you found that as your hair gets longer the weight of the hair pulls it straighter and your curls aren't as tight? My fiance told me once my hair is longer it will probably be almost straight, he may be right, but with all my curls sometimes I find it hard to believe so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Thanks

krissykins
March 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, they will be pulled down by the weight. Well, the curls near the bottom will still be quite springy because they have less weight.

I had 2c/3a hair when it was shorter, but now it's only like that sporadically. My profile pic is what my hair usually looks like, and it's 2b/2c.

pariate
March 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I hope I am not asking too many questions, hehe, but I am on a "roll of wonder."

For those who have curly hair, especially the bigger loser curls, have you found that as your hair gets longer the weight of the hair pulls it straighter and your curls aren't as tight? My fiance told me once my hair is longer it will probably be almost straight, he may be right, but with all my curls sometimes I find it hard to believe so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Thanks

Yup. It took me a while to stop seeing it as a disadvantage of growing my hair but now see it as my hair doing it's own thing. It's healthy and natural, that's what matters most to me. I'm now more of a 2c, whereas I used to be a 3a/3b.

But I do miss my corkscrew curls sometimes!

ETA: Can I legitimately say that my hair is natural now that I let it dry in rag curls?! I don't use any product... LOL.

CurlyCyndi
March 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I have noticed that when I was chin length I has super curly hair like 3a/3b very tight curls... I am not even that long right now 23" when stretched... But my hair is now more of a 2c/3a... I do expect that when I get it to the length i want t will be more of 2c. I love my curls but I look forward to 2c curls as they seem to be more manageable. But I have seen people who's hair doesnt loos curl when there hair grows longer.

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
My hair is only slightly wavy, less curl the longer/ heavier it is. BUT I can get it to curl up beautifully if I use the right products and a diffuser - you're just taking the weight off as it dries. I haven't tried 'plopping' yet as my hair isn't long enough but it's basically the same principle without so much heat.

Mesmerise
March 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I have some people whose hair just seems to stay really curly whether it's long or short, but I am of those whose curls tend to fall out a bit... in a weird way though, because parts just stay more curly than others?! When I had my hair cut just past shoulder length (when it was damp) it looked like a bob when it dried because it curled up a lot and didn't touch my shoulders anymore!

Now my hair's a weird sort of mix of waves, straightish bits, and curls (underneath I get ringlets occasionally). I wish my hair would just make up its mind and be ONE THING :rolleyes:.

Oh, and what is plopping?? I've read it before but don't know what it is!

Kaijah
March 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Somewhat. The whole length probably won't lose its curl, but you might get "flat top" where the roots are wavy or practically straight. At hip, I'm 2c/3a, whereas short (shoulder-ish length) hair on me was strongly 3a root to tip.

krissykins
March 20th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Oh, and what is plopping?? I've read it before but don't know what it is!

Plopping is a drying technique.

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

That's the wikihow article for the Curly Girl way of plopping.

RedheadMistress
March 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
- Yes, at least with my hair . It becomes less curly and if I cut layers into it (i wont now but used to) it gets super curly all of a sudden !

Luna12345
March 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thats how mines is, it was so much curlier at shoulder length...and now that itès arm pit lenth the curls are alot looser... it doesnt curl as much from the top.

Sanyia
March 20th, 2011, 06:54 PM
At the root it's almost straight, then waves, then curls. I agree with the others saying it's the weight that stretches the curls.

Hotrox
March 20th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Mine is getting curlier with length, seems my curls are quite big and the extra length brings them out more.

Still, I'm somewhere between shoulder and APL so not exactly a long haired girl yet :D

julliams
March 20th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Mine has gotten curlier with length. Here are some pictures to prove it:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5330992729_b2f8386552_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4662594707_3ef8a6fe99_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4663238938_c3547dc66b_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4848202887_4a5aed2c9d_m.jpghttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5492861469_0aca0c5735_m.jpghttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5492828073_3e10b5d0af_m.jpg

jojo
March 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
my hair is very curly when short, then goes through a straighter stage until APL and from there on gets wavier with the odd spiral, especially my ends when I wash and dont touch!

looniac
March 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
My hair is somewhat the opposite and doesn't form tight ringlets until it gets to about apl. From pixie to about chin length, you can barely tell I have 2c/3b hair! I would assume that if it got to classic that the weight would become a factor, however.

Intotouch
March 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
When my hair was longest (thigh length) you would never have believed that it was curly. The ends had curl but the rest hung straight. I thought that it was the weight that did this. When i cut it to BSL it bounced immediately into curls and ringlets. I looked like a different person.

Amelia
March 24th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I'm past BSL (a good bit now) and my hair is thick and heavy, yet my curls are all there. So much so, that they curl up to APL :rolleyes:

GRU
March 25th, 2011, 07:09 AM
For those who have curly hair, especially the bigger loser curls, have you found that as your hair gets longer the weight of the hair pulls it straighter and your curls aren't as tight?

I know it was a simple typo, but I had to :lol: at the "loser curls"... I'm such a loser because I have curls! ;)

Okay, being serious now -- in dry winter air, my hair has pretty straight roots for 1-2 inches, followed by S-wave curls, which continue down to 6"-8" from the bottom where they turn into spirals. In humid summer air, there isn't a straight-roots section. Instead, I have about 4" of S-waves followed by spirals the rest of the way down.

If you're legitimately a Type 3, I don't think your hair will ever be straight on its own -- maybe wavy, but never straight.

AchtungCurly
March 25th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Mine gets curlier as it gets longer. I started with a 2a pixie, and by APL, I was 2c/3a. Now, with the longest layers just past BSL, the top is starting to get flat, but plopping takes care of that. (For now... I have very fine hair, so I'm sure that eventually the weight will pull my curl out.)

Mad*Saffron
March 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM
If you're legitimately a Type 3, I don't think your hair will ever be straight on its own -- maybe wavy, but never straight.

I agree with you. My hair becomes curlier, and it looks shorter when the air is humid, but when the weather is cold and dry, it doesn't become straighter, it's just less messy.