PDA

View Full Version : What do you think every grower should have?

Miss Catrina
March 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
For the sake of people who are new to this, what are some products/items you think everyone trying to grow their hair should have?

I'm relatively new to this, but so far my list is as follows:

- Bobby pins/elastics/basic hair accessories that match your hair color (because your hair deserves styling aids that don't distract from it)
- A boar bristle brush (this has changed my life! ponytails look so much better now)
- Olive oil (amazing!)
- Legitimate hair scissors for S&D

And of course, a shampoo/conditioner/baking soda/vinegar/WHATEVER routine that works for you, but that goes without saying. :) What's your list?

summerjade
March 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Definitely add a silk pillowcase to the list, and coconut oil and jojoba oil, a good wide toothed comb(for wet detangling), hairsticks and forks, low sulphate shampoo and cone free condish.

spidermom
March 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Patience. (and I'm sorry that's too few words because it's the answer, the whole answer, and nothing but the answer)

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM
A wide tooth comb, clarifying shampoo, leave-in conditioner (commercial or homemade), terry bands or scrunchies and a sympathetic hairdresser!

Miss Catrina
March 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Where did you find a silk pillowcase? How much did it cost you? I've been thinking of getting one.

ChloeDharma
March 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM
A smooth detangling comb

A smooth hair brush

Something soft to tie hair back with and maybe a smooth hairfork for updo's.

Smooth is the key, nothing that can snag and break hairs.

A good hair oil.....i can't say a type as peoples reactions vary but for me it's coconut for pre-wash oilings and jojoba for light post wash oilings.

After that it's products and much harder to say what ones would benefit everyone.

adiapalic
March 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Wooden Body Shop comb, BBB, jojoba oil, hair stick or hair fork.

Neneka
March 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Every head of hair is different so the needs are different but I would say you need at least a good comb. For me the best thing has been the feeling that my natural haircolour is not ugly and it's totally ok to stop dyeing it. :)

tinywife
March 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Sulfate-free shampoo, cone-free conditioner, clarifying shampoo (store-bought or homemade,) biotin, non-plastic combs (including one wide-tooth comb,) silk or satin pillowcase, non-damaging equipment to pull your hair back, and lots of patience!

Dina L.
March 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Apple cider vinegar! :magic:

ElusiveMuse
March 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised so many people are listing cone free products when many people need cones.

I agree with, patience! Everything else is details.

Messyhair
March 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
1. Wide-toothed comb with smooth edges (I use a wooden one)
2. Satin pillowcase
3. Creamy shampoo that's not too drying/not too moisturizing
4. Super moisturizing conditioner
5. Octopus clip

That's all that's really necessary. Anything else is a bonus. :)

julliams
March 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Where did you find a silk pillowcase? How much did it cost you? I've been thinking of getting one.

ebay - you can find a relatively cheap one on ebay. The one I bought is from a company called Jasmine Silk. I got two and my daughter has one for herself as well (lucky 12 year old!!!)

Copasetic
March 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Patience. (and I'm sorry that's too few words because it's the answer, the whole answer, and nothing but the answer)

Exactly. There is no magical list of products or accessories. Patience, time, willingness to grow. Thats it.

Mamakash
March 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I got used to wearing "satin" sleep caps . . . love the ones from Sally's . . . and that's been the best prevention for painful morning snarls. Hair looks great in the morning, oil treatments say on your head(and off the pillow) and the next morning after the post oil washout . . . lots and lots of soft waves!
I wear "pretied bandanas" now and I find just keeping the hair up and covered protects it from environmental and work related stress. I get a lot of compliments on them, too. They come in lots of colors and really brighten up an ordinary wardrobe!

MoonlightShadow
March 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
-olive oil :D
-big tooth comb:D
-scrunchies:D
-water:D

RitaCeleste
March 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I'll just tell you the products I've found that I don't want to live without. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (only needed if you plan to color it to DEATH), Aphogee Moisturizing Oil Sheen Spray. Oils like Vatika Coconut oil, or Meadowfoam seed oil. I like to pull my hair above the ears up with a barrette occasionally. I own no other hair toys. You'll need to keep your hair conditioned as it gets longer and farther away from your scalp, that's where oils come in handy.

Fufu
March 20th, 2011, 02:03 AM
wide tooth comb
oil, any kinds you preferred

Mesmerise
March 20th, 2011, 02:26 AM
What are the benefits of the satin pillowcase??? I think it would be funny to sleep on one, cause I can't sleep on satin sheets lol. I guess less breakage but does it have any other good effect on the hair??

I don't THINK my hair breaks much when I sleep, but I don't really know to be honest!! I'm not sure if it's prone to breaking or not? Most of my hair loss seems to be from hair falling out and not breaking.

BUT if a satin pillowcase actually made my hair somehow nicer, I'd use one :D.

pepperminttea
March 20th, 2011, 04:22 AM

This. Products that work brilliantly for 99% of people will always have that 1% who they don't work for. Patience is universal.

RitaCeleste
March 20th, 2011, 08:35 AM
That's so true! If I had a dollar for every conditioner I bought that had great reviews but did nothing for me, I'd be rich enough to take little vacation! Same with oils and other stuff. I'd rather try the hair cap because my nails interact with satin pillowcases. I have dry hair, so my search is always about the conditioners. Still, I find I have a better shot if I try stuff with lots fans first. Blindly trying stuff at Walmart was not as successful for me.

RavennaNight
March 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Well, to start, all growers must, above all else, have hair follicles.

Miss Catrina
March 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM
What are the benefits of the satin pillowcase??? I think it would be funny to sleep on one, cause I can't sleep on satin sheets lol. I guess less breakage but does it have any other good effect on the hair??

I don't THINK my hair breaks much when I sleep, but I don't really know to be honest!! I'm not sure if it's prone to breaking or not? Most of my hair loss seems to be from hair falling out and not breaking.

An explanation that I've heard is that most pillowcases are made of cotton, which is a very absorbent material (hence why it's used in towels, diapers, and even less savory things), so they dry your hair out and take the natural oils out.

I've also heard they're great for skin/acne problems for much the same reason - that cotton pillows have you sleeping on top of your own grease over and over because they soak it up and you get more pimples (gross).

A lot of the sellers claim you won't have bedhead with them... sounds too good to be true, but either way, I'm tempted.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I agree with all of the wonderful suggestions posted, especially follicles ;)! I would like to add a steady internet connection to jump on the LHC when you run out of ideas, are frustrated, or need to see beautiful long hair to stay motivated.:cheese:

Madora
March 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM
First and formost, PATIENCE! If you're not willing to wait for your ultimate goal, all the products in the world aren't going to help you!

100% pure boar bristle brush
wide tooth comb
crimped hairpins

hair friendly shampoo and conditioner
coconut oil
good quality towels
hair friendly elastics

MoonLover
March 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Satin pillowcases have changed my life in terms of tangles. I can even sleep with my hair loose and not have any tangles in the morning. Since I have fine curly hair that tangles easily, I would wake up with a rat's nest on the back of my head every morning if I didn't put it in at least two braids.

I wish I knew about these when I was a kid or at least a teenager. I would have save hundreds and hundred of hours of my life and probably longer hair. I usually cut it when it gets near apl because of tangle frustration but this time it's so much less work!

hanne jensen
March 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
THE most important thing to have is access to LHC! Everything else is secondary.

krissykins
March 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Well, to start, all growers must, above all else, have hair follicles.

Agreed. :agree: That's really all you need.

Scarlet_Heart
March 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Biotin and/or folic acid
A good comb (I can't say enough good things about my ox-horn comb)
A good sense for how your hair likes to be washed (with what, how often)
Enough protein in your diet.

To me, those are the main ones. Coconut Oil, good scissors, henna (for some), those things help. But those four are what have been making my hair grow successfully.

sarahbrownie
March 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Tape measure! lol

CAPA7
March 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Definitely some coconut oil! Also a good wooden comb to gently detangle and hair sticks for protective updos.
But the one thing I would not be without is coconut oil.

jojo
March 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
wooden comb
serum
EVOO
patience
hair toys

gypsymoth
March 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I'm curious, why do people prefer wooden combs to plastic ones? :confused:

HintOfMint
March 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm going to limit this to just the things that seem to work for the vast majority of people

1. Satin pillowcase (hair just slides against it, so it doesn't get roughed up. I was skeptical, but yes, it makes a huge difference)
2. Putting hair up at night (prevents tangles)
3. GENTLE detangling
4. Conditioners and products that don't build up so you don't have to clarify so often. Clarifying shampoos on the ends of your hair too often can dry out your hair.
5. Limted to no exposure to heatstyling
6. Patience
7. Observation (Know thy hair:p)

littlenvy
March 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'm curious, why do people prefer wooden combs to plastic ones? :confused:
Can't speak for others but for me it cuts down on static big time!! :) Plus wooden combs are seamless while not all plastic ones are.

gypsymoth
March 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Can't speak for others but for me it cuts down on static big time!! :) Plus wooden combs are seamless while not all plastic ones are.

Ooh, I see. Thanks! :D

dollface
April 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
*an oil that works for you.
*a BBB
*a good quality comb.
*a reliable deep treatment.

i think these things are the staples that growers should have.

RocketDog
April 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
For me, personally?

the patience to wait out the fugly stages
the devotion/obsession to research haircare, toys, etc.
smooth plastic wide-toothed comb for shower detangling
a sturdy boar/nylon combination brush for smoothing out hair when I put it up
good quality shears for at-home trims
a hair-friendly stylist for 'real' trims
coconut oil for deep oiling
henna (uhhh, cuz it makes my hairs pretty?)
ficcares
spinpins/amish pins