PDA

View Full Version : Did you have long hair as a child?

LovingLongHair
March 19th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Okie dokie, so I have a question. But first I'll tell a story to sort of explain how this was all brought on.

Me and my family sort of went on a road trip this past week to the rural Arkansas Ozark mountains. We stopped at this little town at a cute little soda fountain. Anyways, as we were waiting on our food, I saw this family walk in with their daughter. She was cute as a button! But what I couldn't get over was this little girl's hair! She had waist length hair and it was the prettiest color red I have ever seen! It was also natural curly. Her mom had it fixed with it pulled over on each side with braids and secured in the back. Talk about hair envy!

Anyways, the point of this story was for me to ask a question. I hadn't seen it in my searching, so I thought I would start a thread on it.

Did you have long hair when you were young, or did you have short hair?

Here, I'll start: I had long hair until 7th grade. And my hair had never been cut until I was about 7 years old. It was looooong! So, I guesss you could say I'm getting back to my "roots". Lol!:D

jujube
March 19th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Remember the mushroom/bowl cut that boys wore in the 90's? I had that, except I was a girl.

CrisDee
March 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Depends on your definition of "child." Up til I was about 8, my mother whacked my hair off in the ugliest pixie known to man (to keep me from becoming conceited, she told me later in life). When I was about 8 or 9, I rebelled against that ugly pixie, and she finally let me grow my hair out. So from then on, I had long hair - except for 3 separate times in adulthood when I hacked it all off in a fit of "I hate my life." So as a young child - no; but as an older child, yes. :)

Gwen
March 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Yes! I always had long hair as a child. It's what I was known for!! My long wavy blonde locks *sigh*. But in highschool I let my aunt cut it (she was a "hairdresser") into sort of a 'Victoria Beckham' style (kind of buzzed in the back and longer at the chin)... Only, it didn't turn out right AT ALL (my hair looked like draped curtains). So I grew my hair again. Then cut it in college (chin length), then let it grow, dyed it numerous colours, and now... I recently (3 weeks ago) cut my hair to my collar bone trying to acheive the 'long bob' look. I failed miserably.

So now I'm growing it again and contemplating on sacrificing my lovely bleach blonde for my natural colour, never to be cut AGAIN.

Gwen

Fingolphin
March 19th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Nope. But in high school I had that kind of "wedge cut" that was popular for a while. It was cut short moving up towards the back, even clipper cut short, and the bangs were past my chin. :) I think it was River Phoenix as young Indy that inspired that cut for me. :p About my 10th grade year I decided I wanted long hair, but had to wait until I moved out of the house to do it. ;)

spacebubby
March 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I went to school with two girls that had really long hair like that. I always wanted to have hair like them but was never allowed to have long hair (family didn't want the trouble of having to take care of it). I always had a pixie cut.

endtransmission
March 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Yup! I had waist-length hair up until around 7th grade when I got it chopped to shoulder length.

irishlady
March 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Well around the age of 7 and up I had it quite long. I was in a school play for Sleeping Beauty and I was made the queen, because I was regal and mature for my age, as my teacher said :D

Then around age 10 I got a Prince Valiant cut...to hide my hearing aids (I refuse to wear them now but that's a different story)...and well that didn't work. It was my choice too...eek...well it didn't look that bad but still.

Then from around 11 onwards I decided to grow it long again and it was about as long as it is now...until I cut it...I got bored a lot as a teen. I never did anything drastic, I just kept growing it to bsl then cutting it back to shoulder length.

Miss Catrina
March 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I definitely had long hair as a kid. I don't remember exactly how long it was, but I do know I donated 17 inches to Locks of Love (I know better now, don't worry) once and my hair was STILL about to my shoulders.
It's really kind of sad, because I had SO MUCH hair back then but I didn't take advantage of it at all. No pretty hairstyles or special care at all, and my mom had to do all the work. I would brush through it and think it was all good and untangled, then my mom would look and find this huge wad of tangle (think steel wool consistency) under the surface at the nape of my neck. Ugh.
If I were her I probably would have said "Let's get this cut until you can do more of the work." That's what I think is strange about how in America, girls seem to have long hair as kids and then have it get shorter and shorter as they age. It would make more sense to me the other way around! I'm just musing, though, more power to the moms (and dads!) fighting their kids's hair into submission day in and day out. :)

lapushka
March 19th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I had short hair first, then my mom allowed me to start growing at age 6. Well, that's what she told me, but that first year she kept taking me to the hair dresser often. At the end of that year, it had barely grown, so I very stubbornly refused to go to the hair dresser with her (well I did go to have my bangs cut, but kicked up a storm when they wanted to cut the length). I pretty much started growing from that moment on, and reached classic age 10/11. Then I started to get annoyed, because I sat on my hair all the time, and I wanted to have it cut. My mom said she'd take me to the hair dresser, but didn't immediately find the time, and so by the time we finally got to the salon, I was *so* fed up with it, that I ended up with a pageboy hairstyle. I regretted it the next day.

ElusiveMuse
March 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I had long hair until I was about 9, cut it to a really cute bob, and kept it between bob and shoulder length until I was about 22. Then I grew it to my hips.

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I had hair down to mid-back as a young child but I was given a bowl cut before my dad took me on holiday - someone mistook me for a boy which was actually quite traumatic. I was then mistaken for a boy AGAIN at 16 (from behind, had a 'step'). :(

Kalypso
March 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Mine was long except I was forced to have blunt cut bangs until I was 9. Had it cut like Toni Tennille, (anyone? anyone?) Hasn't been past APL since. Almost APL now, vowing never to cut again, only s&d after 2011.

Scarlet_Heart
March 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Oh yea. I had at least TBL hair up until middle school. All I wanted to do was fit in so I cut it ALL off, up to my chin. Since then I've kept it anywhere from Midback abyss to shoulder length. But now I'm going for TBL again.

I think those of us who had really long hair as children are far more likely to go back to it as adults. Not sure why.

Finnenna
March 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I had APL gorgeous wavy dirty blonde hair until I was 11. I then chopped it to a pixie as I never knew what to do with it style-wise and mum or I ever had the patience to do any styles. It's been ear length ever since, until I started growing.

Roseate
March 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Nope. Chin to shoulder all through my childhood. I started cutting it shorter than that, and then growing it longer than that, once I reached my teens. Now I can proudly say I've been every length between shaved and hip length; probably won't ever grow much longer than that.

Quixii
March 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Yes. :) I have an album of my hair over time/my childhood.

oktobergoud
March 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I had long hair, well, long in my eyes ;) I think it was about BSL (I know, I didn't wear a bra back then hahaha THANK GOD), or maybe between that and waist length :)

I actually BEGGED my mom to cut it short into a bob but my mom said I would regret it so she never did!

elbow chic
March 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Nope. I wailed and cried when anybody tried to comb it, no matter how gentle they tried to be. And it was baby-fine and prone to tangling/matting.

So Mom kept it fairly short for ease of care. It was cute that way, too.

I tried letting it grow a few times between 12 and 17, but I just didn't have the knowledge (or patience) to take care of long hair properly then.

It would get to BSL-ish and then fuzz out horribly. :p

Phexlyn
March 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I had long(ish) hair with bangs until I finished primary school. My mum put it into a French braid for me most of the time. I then decided to get it cut into an earlobe-length bob, but I'm not sure how long exactly it was before that. Longer than shoulder-length at least, because the hairdresser insisted on cutting back to shoulder first as "I'd miss my hair". I hated it, and returned soon afterwards to finally get my bob ;)

LovingLongHair
March 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Wow! These are interesting to read. Personally, long hair runs in the family for me. My grandmother who is in her late 70's has waist length, silvery white hair. My mom had long hair up until her 30's and my aunt has waist length hair as well. My cousin has a little longer than classic length hair. Anyways, all this babbling, sorry! :o However, my sister's hair is in a really short crop and my other sister has very, very curly hair that just doesn't seem to grow and maintains a shoulder length look. But, anyways these are really great stories! Keep 'em coming! I think this really helps all of us to see everyone's backgrounds and sort of why we are growing our hair out! :)

animal-lover
March 19th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I had shoulder-length hair (bob), up until I was 7 years old. From about 8/9, I let it grow, and it eventually ended up waist-length. When I was 10/11, I got it cut shoulder-length again, but it had really thickened up. Once again, I let it grow, and it reached waist-length, by the time I was 12/13. I then got layers when I was 15, which in turn, left my hair getting shorter and shorter. At 17, I got a pixie cut, which I loved. But, at 18, I'm now sick of it. So, I'm hoping it'll be waist-length by the time I graduate university (4.5 years). Wish me luck :)

Capybara
March 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I did! My hair was always between waist and tailbone. We usually kept it braided, too.

oktobergoud
March 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Nope. I wailed and cried when anybody tried to comb it, no matter how gentle they tried to be. And it was baby-fine and prone to tangling/matting.

So Mom kept it fairly short for ease of care. It was cute that way, too.

I tried letting it grow a few times between 12 and 17, but I just didn't have the knowledge (or patience) to take care of long hair properly then.

It would get to BSL-ish and then fuzz out horribly. :p

SAME here, it tangled like crazy and you know what I did as well?? Rolled my head around in bed until I fall asleep. I seriously woke up with hair looking like cotton candy EVERY MORNING. I even have videos of it, it seriously looks like Marge Simpson hair.. it was such a struggle every day, I really can't imagine why my mom didn't cut it :o

pepperminttea
March 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Short answer, no. The longest it got before this point was BSL, and as a child; APL at the most.

Mesmerise
March 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I had both long and short hair as a child. I remember wanting my hair cut short before I started primary school (so I would have been 4 going on 5 at the time) and I had it in a bob with a fringe. Then I grew it until the end of Grade 3 (when I was 8) and had another bob cut... then I grew it until Year 7 (almost 12) and I had it cut to shoulder length. Then through most of my early teens it went from chin to shoulder length and back, and I permed it a couple of times, till I cut it back into a bob at the start of Year 11 and I grew it for the next couple of years. And errm... this pattern has sort of repeated itself throughout my life! The number of times I have vowed "not to cut my hair EVER AGAIN!" is beyond a joke lol. The thing is EVERY time I've had it cut short I've started growing it again immediately :rolleyes:. So THIS time I am determined not to give in, and I WILL keep growing it!

My parents honestly didn't care whether I grew it or cut it really, so I was never forced into anything. My daughter had long hair until she was about 7 (she has this amazing fine, thick hair...no idea where it comes from!!!) and I finally let her cut it shorter and shorter (it was REALLY REALLY hard to care for, but looked beautiful... I guess in my hair envy I tried to convince her to keep it long lol) and now she's got a chin length bob with an undercut to stop it getting too boofy cause it's just so thick. I've never in my life seen hair that tangles like hers though! Wow! Even deep conditioning to make it slick and slippery didn't stop me from having to spend 45 minutes detangling every time we washed it when her hair was waist length. Now, I just let her make up her own mind. Maybe when she gets older and finds it easier to brush herself (cause she found it impossible to get her own tangles out) she'll want to grow it long again.

jbertram
March 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Up until 6th grade my hair was at my waist. It was horrible to comb and I didn't take care of it. I was a bit of a tomboy and it stayed a tangled mess. When my mother cut it my dad was very upset and I swear I think he almost cried. It was as short as my brothers.

punkcatknitter
March 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
My hair was long (at least waist.... that's all I have photographic proof of, but I remember being able to sit on it so it must have hit classic at least once) until I was 11 or so. Then I convinced my mom to let me cut it (six inches or so) and kept getting it shorter and shorter... at one point when I was about 15 I had gotten lazy and it grew out to BSL again but I didn't know how to deal with it and cut it all off.

I was actually talking to my mom about this today. She was always trying to talk me into growing it long again and I remember everyone always telling me I should never cut my hair. But not one of these people actually HAD long hair, including my mom (who maintained a bob from my birth until about a year ago when I convinced her to start growing it long). I wonder if I would have kept my hair longer if I'd had some longhair role models around then... I'm sure it would have ended up black and bobbed at some point anyway because I think I needed to get it out of my system, but it does make me wonder.

Signe
March 19th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I had long hair until I was about 9, cut it to a really cute bob, and kept it between bob and shoulder length until I was about 22. Then I grew it to my hips.

Me too! My mom (bless her, she spent so many hours detangling, I was such a rough-n-tumble little one!) kept my hair around waist length til I was 9, then I cut it into a really cute flippy long bob and then maintained between chin and apl till I was around 22...now I'm 23 and working on getting it to my hips :D

Adamia
March 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Nope. I had APL hair until I was seven and convinced my mom to give me a bob. I regretted it three days later and have been growing steadily ever since.

braidedbelle
March 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I had long, beautiful straight hair as a child that i miss dearly! I cut it all off to shoulder length and it all went downhill from there. When I discovered hair straighteners I think I became a lost cause...

AnnaJamila
March 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Yep! Until about middle school, then I chopped it all off. I cringe everytime when I think about it.

Meatball Head
March 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Yep yep, I have beautiful thick, striaght black hair down to my beltline when I was 5, then I thought it was weird because no one else did, so like the idiot I was I got it hacked to shoulder, then until I was 11 it was always between shoulder and bra strap (not that there was one back then XD). Then I got it cut to about mid-ear...and promptly got called nick carter...stupid kids...lol ANYway, I grew it until I was 13, then cut it to above my ears, stubbornly decided I wanted it long and didnt cut it until I was 15 when my mom MADE me because I wasn't taking care of it right and it was a dishevelled thin MESS...cried after that though lol...then I didn't cut it again (except for self-trim) until I was 18 when I went from TBL to BSL...I got home after and looked in the mirror...and burst into tears...so I'm 20 no and havn't cut it again...nor do I plan to lol...what I love though is when I trim it comes back so fast...a few weeks back i cut off a bit much and it was lop sided and i was told to get it fixed...I was like no last time this happened it was back to normal in 2 weeks...sure enough...2 weeks later I have my inch and a half back lol

CurlyCyndi
March 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I had 3a hip length hair until i was 9. I had an accident and well didnt have long hair since then...

maddog_running
March 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I asked my mom for a buzz cut when I was 5, and then grew it out until I was 14, where I cut it off to pixie. Every since it's been every length between BSL(I think ?) and .25 inch.

BrightEyes7
March 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I had short hair as a child, until I was about 14. Then it was medium length, I'd say APL at it's longest, until a couple years ago when I grew it out. So right now is the first of me having long hair.

ladyveg
March 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I had BSL hair in 5th grade, but I never wanted to wash or brush it and it was always stringy. I remember my best friend had waist length hair and once we went running through the woods and got burrs all over in our hair. We knew we'd get in trouble going home like that so we approached two female college students who were sunbathing in the park and begged them to comb out our hair for us. They did. :-)

My mom made me get my hair cut and feathered for Easter when I was in 6th grade. It all went downhill from there. Happy to be growing it out again!

PnutButta
March 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
My hair was Emma Watson short until I graduated from high school. The I started to grow it out....and I love my long hair!

Fufu
March 20th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Yup i have long hair when i was a kid, about classic length, i thought i was tailbone length until my mum told me i was at classic length.

cuticom
March 20th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I didn't. I desperately wanted long hair but for some unknown reason I believed if absolutely no one touched my hair ever I would have long hair. Yeah I had so many tangles cut out. I was dragged kicking and screaming to the hairdressers every six months until at twelve (yes twelve) I finally decided washing and brushing wouldn't hurt my hair. I still can't believe I'd go a whole month without washing because my mother was curious to see who's willpower broke first, hers did... LOL

So every six months my hair was cut to my ears, since I wouldn't look after it. Looking back I'm surprised she didn't give me a pixie cut.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 20th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I hadda live as a boy, buzz cuts....Ewwwww...Never again!:(

CastaDiva
March 20th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I had an awful short haircut throughout my entire childhood. I hated it and I was mistaken for a boy several times:( I hated my short hair so much that I honestly can`t see me ever going back to really short hair again. I think it`s long hair all the way for me now:)

kaned_ferret
March 20th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I had long waist length wavy red hair until I was about 12, then it gradually got shorter and shorter, first with layers, then a gradual reduction until age 15, after being gothy for a while (so dyed black and kept long) I became punky (so hacked off, shaved bald at the sides for a mohawk, then bleached the hell out of to add bright colours) and it got shorter from there...

Now aged nearly 28 I want happy long girly hair again (am I finally growing up?!)

Amraann
March 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM
As a child I was not permitted to get my hair cut.
So it got to mid-thigh a few inches above my knees until one day I came home from school crying because it kept getting in the way.
My mother did trim it to TBL then.
Eventually I talked her into waste length.

Finally when I was about 12 and my parents split up I managed to talk her into cutting it to BSL.
(Maybe was an inch longer then that)

From then on it got shorter and shorter until I was in my 20's

It is TBL now.

Hile
March 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I had my hair in a short bob for most of my childhood because I always put up a huge fight when it was time to detangle my matted hair. Mum treated my hair the same way she did her's: wash twice a week with the harshest shampoo I know, no conditioner and ripped through with a brush only when wet. Well, at least my texture (=cotton candy) was a perfect match for my whiter than white hair colour:p

But that didn't stop me from being obsessed with long hair. I could spend hours watching pictures of beautiful long-haired princesses or combing anything (exept my own hair) that could be combed and dreaming of the day when I would be an adult and have longer hair than anyone else... Mum had promised me I could grow my hair as long as I want when I'm old enough to care for it myself. That time came when I was about ten but unfortunately my then-best friend convinced me that thin-haired people like me aren't allowed to have long hair. That stuck with me way longer than our friendship lasted and I kept my hair between ear and shoulder lenght. Later I learned to like short hairstyles too, but didn't gather enough courage to grow my hair out until now.

Superfine
March 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I had short hair most of my life, & my mom favored bangs (she cut my hair). In the 70s I had APL for a couple of years. Then cut to a bob. Then pixie for years. '07 I started growing & am kind of maintaining at BSL. I like the elegance of longer hair & the ease of "styling" as I like golf & am outdoors a lot.

RedheadMistress
March 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
- Soda fountain ?
Sounds insane hehe .

I used to have long hair, waist, until my sister one day cut it short like a mushroom .

Still haven't had natural long hair since and that was in . . 6th grade !

lw8666
March 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I had long hair as a child. I always remember getting compliments on it all the time. I remember my mom could never get it in a ponytail easily because it was so thick and long. I had it up until I was 15 years old. Thats when I was introduced to blow dryers and flat irons.

Fiore
March 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, I had. Until 12 I had hip-tailbone lenght hair....then I decided to cut it :rip:

jasper
March 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
My mom kept my hair short up until I started school. And it was darn cute, too. :). And when I got to school and met other girls with long hair, I wanted to grow mine. It was never very long, but longer than shoulder length by the end of grade school. Then in junior high, I got a series of cuts and my hair ranged between nape length and collar length. I grew it to almost bsl length at some point in high school, but that was the longest.

Mesmerise
March 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
I hadda live as a boy, buzz cuts....Ewwwww...Never again!:(

My friend's daughter went through that too... her mum never understood why she got so upset having a buzz cut. Fortunately, she's now getting to live as a girl and grow her hair long!

Aud200
March 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
My hair had grown out to probably waist length by the time I started grade school. I went through various hair disasters, including getting a perm in 3rd grade (what was my mom thinking!) and then chopping all the permed hair off into a short boy-cut the next year. What was *I* thinking when I got another perm in 6th grade and chopped it off again the next year?? And I grew it out to mid back and then chopped it off to a bob in my junior year of high school...oh dear. So it's been a roller coaster of lengths... :(

Smile4Kiki
March 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I had a short mushroom type cut up until about 5 years old. Then my mom let my hair grow out and refused to let me cut it until I fought tooth and nail at around 12 and got it cut it to apl and then a few months later, chin. It had been past waist length before i cut probably like hip by LHC standards. I've never been able to get it back to that long, I always grow til around bsl and then cut back. Hopefully this time around I can let it be.

sakuramoon08
March 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
I had long hair up until 4th grade, when my dad was trimming my hair my mom secretly told him to cut my hair to my chin because "she wanted to see what I would look like". I've never quite forgiven her for that. I had gorgeous, thick, tailbone hair. Now it's barely grazing my waist. My dad mest it up to, so parts of my hair are wierd layers, but not really layers. Mothers, please never do what my mom and dad to me. Gah! It makes me mad just to think about it!!!! (Sorry for this rant, lol!)

Mesmerise
March 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
I had long hair up until 4th grade, when my dad was trimming my hair my mom secretly told him to cut my hair to my chin because "she wanted to see what I would look like". I've never quite forgiven her for that. I had gorgeous, thick, tailbone hair. Now it's barely grazing my waist. My dad mest it up to, so parts of my hair are wierd layers, but not really layers. Mothers, please never do what my mom and dad to me. Gah! It makes me mad just to think about it!!!! (Sorry for this rant, lol!)

Gak, fortunately my parents always pretty much let me decide what I wanted to do with my hair! I tried to encourage my daughter to keep her hair long, but it was frustrating and very tangly...I finally let her get it a bit shorter...then a bit shorter and then capitulated altogether and let her get a chin length bob. LOL. I'd love to have been at this site before cutting her hair though, because I never thought of measuring circumference before. Last night I tried to measure her circumference, and despite the side hairs falling out (that were too short to go in the ponytail) and the undercut that goes to the top of her ears (and thus cuts out a LOT of thickness) she still has a 3" ponytail which is thicker than mine!!

But yeah, I think parents should mostly let their kids decide (within reason) how they want their hair!

kme81
March 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I had around shoulder length hair with bangs until I was about 5-6, when I told my mom that I wanted it shorter. She cut it to chin length, and I loved it. For I kept a bob that was right under my ear lobes until I was about 10. For some reason, who knows why, I decided that I didn't like short hair on myself anymore and that I wanted to grow it out. So began the long journey of growing out my hair...it has taken over 6 years to get to mid-back/BSL. I did get layers in Jr. High though, so I will blame it on that. :) AND I have never had any type of bangs since I was 5, only the natural whispies frame my face. :D (Actually I'm just not brave enough to do something so drastic.) ;)

kme81
March 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
But yeah, I think parents should mostly let their kids decide (within reason) how they want their hair!

I'm so glad my parents were like that! It let me get all the crazy ideas out when I was little...and now I am just enjoying the long hair ride for the first time. :)

ooo
March 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
I always had short or relatively short hair. Never liked it much, but once I was old enough to chose my own hairstyle, I was not patient enough to grow it out.

LovingLongHair
March 22nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
As a child I was not permitted to get my hair cut.

That's the way my aunt and her kids are. She wasn't allowed to cut hers and she doesn't allow her daughters to either. One of her daughter's is almost 20 and her other daughter is 17. But they all like long hair, so they don't mind not cutting it. My cousin (the one who is 17) has classic length blonde hair! :thudpile: It's beautiful! But anyways, I was sort of like that, but my grandmother finally let me get it cut. Now I don't cut it hardly at all except for barely trimming sometimes (fairytale ends DO NOT look good on me).

Kelli Kat
March 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
My mother kept my hair cut in an extreme pixie until I was probably in kindergarten. After that it was back and forth between long and short. I grew up in the 70s so I was rocking a shag for quite a few years.

meriellyn
March 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
I was a bald baby for the first couple years. Once it finally started growing it made it right around my shoulders before my first cut. From there it was a pixie for years. My longest childhood hair was when I was 8. It got to about the bottom of my shoulderblades. I loved long hair and always wanted "Crystal Gayle hair" but I was more interested in climbing trees than messing with my hair and my mom didn't really know how to take care of it. I hated washing it, etc and my superfine hair tangled and formed rat's nests very easily. My dad would have to untangle it for me because my mom was too impatient to do it. So just before I turned 9 my mom had it all cut off into a very unfortunate bowl-type cut. *shudder* It stayed short for the rest of the time my mom had the say in choosing my cuts. I didn't get back to even shoulder length until highschool, but I proceeded to fry it with color and heat and had to go short again. I didn't start growing it out again with any success/ lasting progress until my mid 20's.

Basically, my parents loved the pixie on me so I had that most of my childhood, then I loved coloring my hair and hated my 'puberty perm' curly texture so I chose color and straightening over length for most of my teens and early 20's.

krissykins
March 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
I went through a cycle of growing my hair to waist length then my parents cutting it off.

But they're not in charge anymore, so let's see if we can push past waist!

Sherwood
March 22nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
I had my first real haircut when I was 16; before that I could sit on it. Usually wore it in two braids when I was younger. It was always a struggle with the combing out, lots of tangles, but neither I nor my mother ever thought of cutting it. I had bangs, at my mother's insistance; she said it would look weird growing them out to the length of all the rest. It took me from 16 to 27 to finally get it long enough to braid again, and since it reached my waist it has never been shorter. Kind of a family thing - my mother had long hair into her teens, and my father's mother always had long hair - she wore it in two braids wrapped around her head all her adult life. I have seen a photo of her at age 18 - her hair was to her knees.

bettylibertine
March 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
My mum chopped my hair into a pixie when I was five (never quite forgiven her for that.. I thought I looked like a boy) and then in primary school it grew to just a bit longer than waist length - I had no clue how to take care of it though and unfortunately battled with head lice for two years. I ended up chopping it to shoulder length and bounced back and forth between chin and shoulder length until I got pregnant. I never really noticed the length in high school though, I was too preoccupied with dying it every colour imaginable. :)

dollface
April 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
i only had long hair for parts of my childhood. it was either really long or super short. i continued this pattern into adulthood but i'm now done with short hair.

Jcv-Shelley
April 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Yep, and back then I almost never had a split end for months

MonaLisa
April 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I was born with some sort of afro lol :) then was a blondie, and finally a dark brown, changed a lot as a child ! but anyway it's always been long, except once when i was 5... was much into fairy tales and princesses and dreamt of having longest hair around! :)

xoerincolleen
April 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
My hair was always shoulder-length until I was about 8, when it got pretty long. Then I got it cut into a bob and maintained that for the next few years, then grew it out again. My mom has always had short hair, and my dad always says that he likes short hair better than long hair, so I never had really long hair like some little girls have. My hair hit APL when I was about 13. I've had it longer ever since then- I'm 19 now- and will not be going back to short hair anytime soon. Not until I'm at least 35 or something.

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 05:38 AM
No my hair broke off alot when I was younger (I also used to put my hair in my mouth) and I begged my mom to let me get a bob, and after my first bob in grade 7 I've had bobs and shoulder length length ever since. It's only recently that I've had longer hair. My hair is the longest it has even been at the moment (which is almost BSL)

Angeldances
April 3rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
waist length for me, then i chopped it off to shoulder in my teens and got an 80's perm! yuk!

pennyroyal
April 3rd, 2011, 12:11 AM
I had hair around mid-back length for most of my childhood. Sometimes shorter but i always grew it back to around there at some point before i'd cut it again. The longest it ever got was about hip 6 & a half years ago.

luxepiggy
April 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Yup. Hasn't been shorter than waist as far back as my memory goes . . . I've had the same hairstyle for 20 years. I know, I'm super boring. It's because I'm lazy and bad at keeping appointments for trifling unimportant events like haircuts (^(oo)^)v

RitaPG
April 3rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Nop, I had a bowl cut as a child. Only after I was 13 or 14, my mom asked if I wanted to cut my hair and I just said "nah" and that was it.
I'm not mad at her for keeping my hair so short, but I would've liked to see what it would look like if I had it long back then. It was much lighter and I had curls. It would've been so cute :o

LisaMonster
April 3rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
I had the terrible "sit in a chair while grandma rips a brush through your hair for two hours" tangles when I was little, so my hair was generally kept around shoulder length. When I was like three, though, I was rocking a lovely 90s child mullet.

telegraph64
April 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Yes, about BCL to TBL when I was a child, and it was all soft and natural, as my lovely parents were always very gentle with brushing and never ripped through a tangle.

jaine
April 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
I had tailbone-length hair with a big tangle at the nape of my neck that wouldn't go away. I think it would have turned into a dreadlock if I had left it alone.

AndreaPetrea
April 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Not what is considered long hair here :p

Until I was four or five years old I had short hair. Then I had shoulder length for some time from I was six, and from I was ten my hair was growing to APL or BSL before I had maybe 10 or 15 cm cut off and started over again.

I didn't really care about how I looked when I was a child, and my mother has had short hair for most of her life, so she doesn't really know anything about hair care.

When I was 16 I had my hair cut back to shoulder length with lots of layers (and I loved it!).

MandyBeth
April 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Nope, never had hair past my chin. So this is all new to me.

californiagirl
April 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
I had BSL length when I was about five. Many, and I mean many, ugly haircuts ensued including ugly pixies, horrible poodle perms, and anything in between. I cant figure out why my mother would do that to me.

Safira
April 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Oh yes. Shortest was mid-back lenght and longest was classic.

I used to have classic/knee-lenght hair ´till I was 27, then I cutted to elbow-lenght. Now I´m growing back again.

MoonlightShadow
April 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
i think my only went to BSB. i always wished for longer hair when i was little

Ishje
April 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
I had my hair long for a pretty long time, somewhere between waist and hip.
the first time I remember cutting my hair to shoulder length was when I was 15, but I don't really remember what happened between 7 and 15 years old.
maybe it is time to get the photo albums out.

jtl45
April 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
my mother cut my hair for the 1st time when I was about 5 years old. I had extremely long hair as a boy and got a crew cut when I was 6 and kept it short till I was 15. I grew my hair again and have kept it at waist length for some time now.
jim

sarahbrownie
April 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Remember the mushroom/bowl cut that boys wore in the 90's? I had that, except I was a girl.

Most of my friends had that cut, and yes they were girls, it was just convenient where I live, a lot of rural farm families where short hair was easier and doing it with a bowl was cost saving.

I always had around shoulder length hair. I did cut it very short when I was little to be like Mommy, she had short hair too, but I don't remember how awkward it was through I'm sure growing it out was a pain. I had pretty thick and wavy hair and wasn't allowed to use products, though knew of them! I would cut my hair ear length every year until it grew out to shoulder length and do it again. I look very cute with ear length hair, though it's time to give long hair a try! :d

constancev18
April 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
My hair was midback until I begged my mother for a perm in the 7th grade. :(

lil_irish_angel
April 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Had waist long hair up until jr high and now can never go back to short hair.... Almost back to waist

AshNight1214
April 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I've had "long" hair since I was about 3 1/2. The shortest I've had it since was shoulder and that was because I donated twice within about a year of each other. I didn't want it that short, but 10 inches is the minimum donation. I've been at waist since and I'm looking forward to TB. :)

Latte Lady
April 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
I've alway had very long hair. The only time it was cut short was because of a lice outbreak when i was in the second grade. The nit comb refused to go through my hair and I was crying because it hurt. Terrified also with a huge fear of bugs! Mother had little choice but to cut my hair to me shoulders at the time. I didn't care what she did at the time as long as it helped get rid of the bugs!
Wish my hair was that thick now!

Bandia Rua
April 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
My hair was nearly thigh length when I was a child. Somewhere around age 10 I begged for short hair, and eventually my mother acquiesced and So began my lifelong journey back to long hair....lol Anyway I just got past 30 inches of hair and Im determined to keep it growing....(again) lol

christine1989
April 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
I had just about every length hair when I was little from tailbone length to a short pixie. My mom let me do pretty much anything I wanted with my hair.

ashke50
April 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Well my hair took a while to grow properly, but once it did I always had long hair. My mum had wanted long hair when she was little and not been allowed it, so she was keen for me (and my sisters) to have long hair.
My hair was down to waist length by about the time I was 14 I think, and still that long at 18, although somehow despite never cutting it short it was only just below shoulder length by the time I was 20.

Sooze
April 4th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Yes, another long haired child of the sixties here. I had long red curly hto my waist until I was 14 when I had it cut to ear length and bitterly regretted it.

I grew it back, then had it cut again to please my OH at 18 - he wanted to see what it would look like. he hated it, I bitterly regretted it.

I grew it back, and kept it at BSL until 2007 when I became increasingly frustrated at hormonal hair tangles, dry frizz and fairy knots. At the exhortation of my friends I cut it again to chin length and kept it there until October last year when I had my last trim. But, at that point I found LHC.

Now I have a totally different hair care routine which at long last is making a difference, and I'm actively growing again. It'll never be the length it was, and it'll never be as thick again (notwithstanding MSM and Biotin) but I'm getting there, and this time I'll learn to be happy with what I've got. (I hope!)