PDA

View Full Version : Fairly decent trip in for a trim!

hipmama1970
June 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I hadn't been in for any kind of cut in over a year. My last stylist added in some pretty deep layers (eek!) and I was ready to get it all cut to the same length so I went in last week.

I explained that I wanted about 2" cut off. The first thing she said was, "Are you sure? Your hair's in really good shape, and you don't really NEED that much taken off." I showed her the layers and she understood and did what I wanted.

Then she spent a lot of the time talking about how well my hair was doing, it was not what I've been used to!

She did tell me that I'd need to continue coming in every couple of months or so (um, I just went a year and you said it didn't need much trimming!) But, other than that, she was pretty awesome!

After my last trim, with the disaster layers, I was kind of worried, but it turned out great. I just thought I'd post about it, since it seems unusual to get someone who doesn't want to chop all your hair off!

purplebubba
June 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Glad to hear this.

Do you have any layers left that she could have been referring to as needing to be fixed or evened out in future visits?

Is there anything besides damage or split ends that she could have been referring to?

Rococo
June 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
wow, that lady sounds great. I've completely stopped going to salons because no one understands my hair. It's kind of wild with some curls and some waves and some straight pieces, and some people treat it like it's all straight and cut it in a Dutch boy bob. Happened to me twice. I'll never make that mistake again...

paper
June 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I'm glad your hairdresser took the time to listen, and did what you wanted. Thats great to hear, thanks for sharing.

jojo
June 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you had a great experience.

hipmama1970
June 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Glad to hear this.

Do you have any layers left that she could have been referring to as needing to be fixed or evened out in future visits?

Is there anything besides damage or split ends that she could have been referring to?

She was telling me it would "grow better" if I trimmed it regularly. But since she was telling me it was in such good shape, and I had her whack the layers, I didn't figure that made a lot of sense for me. Otherwise she was awesome, so I'm not complaining :)

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds like a decent salon trip. Awesome!

frizzinator
June 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
It's refreshing to hear about a good visit to a hairdresser.

purplebubba
June 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
She was telling me it would "grow better" if I trimmed it regularly. But since she was telling me it was in such good shape, and I had her whack the layers, I didn't figure that made a lot of sense for me. Otherwise she was awesome, so I'm not complaining :)

I think in this case if you go back next time and your hair is longer and she thinks it's in good condition and suggests the frequent visits then I'd say she's saying somethng weird.

In this case it sounds like she was perhaps trying to keep you from having more layers to even up later. Even when you trim a straight line hair can start to get uneven as it grows. So hopefully that's all she was saying.

I hope she was taking a genuine interest in seeing you reach your goal. That would be great.

And perhaps if you return to her a few times and she sees that it didn't require as many trims as she thought she'll think differently. One thing I learned in school was that we should never stop learning. There's always something new to know and always results that change what you thought you knew.

ETA: Anyone who claims to be a hair expert has a lot to learn.
ETA: A new motto for my sig :)

hipmama1970
June 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
That makes a lot of sense, Purplebubba!