PDA

View Full Version : - Growing Pink curly hair to my tailbone, luckily . .

RedheadMistress
March 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM
- Got incredibly bored by being nice to my hair, not bleaching it, using only henna and doing tonnes of nice stuff to it . . it looked like this:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/5537771303_97f504a80f.jpg

so I did this;
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5537771357_0293c8f295.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5058/5537771917_11e89127d0.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5140/5537771833_575f25b621.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5538350404_4a4946e5b8.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/5537771603_39e504a046.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5171/5537771693_7535bcf5e7.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5538350154_b57a17ba73.jpg

I'm a bit in love with it atm, so excuse big nr of pics .

In the future, I think it Will work to only bleach roots a little bit with weak bleach, diluted, then to dye with nice one component hair dye and I could still grow my hair long . .

Does anyone do this ?
Has it worked ?

It makes sense, I'm just worried, still . Sigh ! :rolleyes:

Atomic Pink by Special Effects . It is Amaaazing IRL !

Decided to still grow my hair to my tailbone, just only bleach roots lightly and use the one component vegan hair dye/stain . Shouldn't be too bad, also I will be much happier this way heh . -
What do you think ?

Before I bleached, I put coconut oil in it, made it wet, put in conditioner, left it in, let it dry half ways, then when I bleached it had NO signs of damage !
I was expecting half of it to fall off, speaking from bleaching experience, it usually damages my hair A Lot .

MindBeforeMouth
March 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
love your hair and piercings :)

Lianna
March 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I think it would be fine. Just don't leave the bleach too long. :) I don't have long hair but plan to grow mine lightening two shades with hair dye! :) :hifive:

cloudberrypie
March 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM
i love the way your hair looked before, but i also like the new look. and if this look makes you happier, then of course you should keep it this way! having super healthy virgin hair is kind of pointless if you like it better when it's bleached and dyed. :)

Lianna
March 18th, 2011, 04:41 PM
having super healthy virgin hair is kind of pointless if you like it better when it's bleached and dyed. :)

I agree, specially if it's growing and looks good. I don't like my natural hair at all, I'm sorry to the "you should accept yourself crowd". ;)

Timkerbelle
March 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I really love your hair colour, and I'm also a little bit smitten with your dimple piercings

Sylvanas
March 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
That looks wicked! So bright and pretty :)

princessp
March 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wow it's excellent!

Wheatland
March 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
It's beautiful!!!

I also love your dimple piercings.

Vorvolaka
March 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Wow, I love that!

Dizzy_zzz
March 18th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Wow, that's amazing! It's so pretty

GlennaGirl
March 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
That pink is amazing! Your plan seems like a good one. Good luck & happy growing!

leslissocool
March 18th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! :agape: it suits you so well!!!

I am on the "accept yourself" kinda route here, so I am trying henna/indigo only. So far henna looks like a couple of shade lighter than my natural, and it blends in really well... So of course I am bore with it and thinking I will rather go back to natural black with indigo... and cut off all bleach/dye damage.

Honestly, it looks great! And there are many members that where able to bleach and have long gorgeous hair! So go for it :cheer:

Just don't bleach over 7 times along the length... That's how my hair got fried :( and your plan sound smart so it shouldn't be a problem!

Length pics please, I'll be following your progress!

Briar
March 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Bleaching only the roots when it's time to touch up the color is how I maintain my teal (SFX Fishbowl) streaks. Be wary of a little more brittleness and splitting from your hair, but it shouldn't be too bad if you give it moisture and treat it nicely and don't bleach over the parts that have already had a blasting.

EbonyCurls
March 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I ***LOVE*** this! How cool! Now this is unique at any length, but tailbone....WOW that is going to be like mermaid gorgeous.

I always tell myself when my hair gets naturally light enough (grey) I'm going to dye it a rich purple color. I'm going to be 70 with butt-length purple hair!

rhosyn_du
March 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Awesome! I love the color on you.

When I was in high school, I knew a girl who had nearly-classic-length vivd dark green hair that she colored by bleaching and using Manic Panic. It was soft and glossy and gorgeous, so it's definitely possible for some people!

RitaPG
March 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM
That looks AWESOME, I love it! :D

And about growing it long, check out this beautiful lady:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQ5LDhSGbuI/TUHmO36iS1I/AAAAAAAAAkI/3pWgYh7Imsc/s1600/IMG_0359.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQ5LDhSGbuI/TReomBKlFTI/AAAAAAAAAew/gjICCByoi9s/s1600/IMG_3832.JPG

She's almost 40 and has been bleaching and dyeing her hair in crazy colors since her late 20s.
This is how long her hair is
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tH0V610RZJU/TX6XzvSOICI/AAAAAAAAAqw/GLRLt3FeBzs/s1600/IMG_4431+copy.jpg

If that ain't awesome, I don't know what is. I'd love to see your hair at tailbone and PINK :D

enfys
March 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
That looks AWESOME, I love it! :D

And about growing it long, check out this beautiful lady:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQ5LDhSGbuI/TUHmO36iS1I/AAAAAAAAAkI/3pWgYh7Imsc/s1600/IMG_0359.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQ5LDhSGbuI/TReomBKlFTI/AAAAAAAAAew/gjICCByoi9s/s1600/IMG_3832.JPG

She's almost 40 and has been bleaching and dyeing her hair in crazy colors since her late 20s.
This is how long her hair is
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tH0V610RZJU/TX6XzvSOICI/AAAAAAAAAqw/GLRLt3FeBzs/s1600/IMG_4431+copy.jpg

If that ain't awesome, I don't know what is. I'd love to see your hair at tailbone and PINK :D

Wow. She looks like she's still in her 20s. Stunning.

Also check out WiselyChosen with her superlong rainbow hair. She's on Flickr.

Totally possible to do :D

RitaPG
March 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I was trying to remember her name too. Her rainbow hair is so tempting :D

Sundial
March 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Too cute! ;) A lot of longhairs here have long bleached beautiful hair, and it appears that you did take steps to protect your hair prior to bleaching. I believe some LHCers like ericthegreat use coconut oil on bleached hair so you might want to continue with that after bleaching too. Perhaps you can also get in touch with them to check on their hair routine if they don't happen to see this thread

sugarpixie10988
March 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Ooo, pretty! It suits you wonderfully :D

Dreamspell
March 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Omg I'm so jealous of your hair <333333
I can't wait until I have the guts/opportunity to bleach mine out and go for pink...

I still want long hair though =/ hmmmm...

Stupid black hair...XD

Lianna
March 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Also check out WiselyChosen with her superlong rainbow hair. She's on Flickr.

She doesn't bleach her whole head though, only where she had light pink. She's a natural strawberry blonde. :) It's totally possible, I see girls with highlighted hair to light blonde all the time (and long hair). I know bleaching the whole head is different, but these girls have a LOT of highlights (they look totally blonde).

I think it's okay to pick one "really harmful"(?) thing as long we keep the hair healthy in several other ways. Like combining heat with dyes, one or the other is usually fine, if you are careful (by not bleaching 3 times in a week or using high heat twice a day).

wvgemini
March 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ack! love it :) :) Love the piercings too. You look like a doll!

kawaii_koneko
March 18th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I really love your pink hair which is weird cause I usually don't like the color pink (:

PineappleJello
March 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The funkiness of your hair really suits you, I love it!

RedheadMistress
March 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
MindBeforeMouth:
Thank you ! ^^ Love your hair too !

Lianna:
Yeah that's what I'm worried about but I'm thinking of diluting the bleach a lot, only leaving it on until it lifts my hair a little bit lighter than my natural dark brown, even to a dark orange, because special effects easily covers that !
Considering washing my hair more often so it goes light pink . . that's cute too .
Haven't really had my natural colour for . . 5 years . When a hairdresser that was told to Only trim ended up cutting off several inches, cutting off all semi damaged hair and leaving me with healthy curly hair, I ended up having a funky afro because of my spiral curls ! Pissed me off a lot since I prefer long semi damaged hair than short healthy any day . :P

cloudberrypie:
MM exactly, I kept getting annoyed by it since I'm used to having fun colours and natural ones (except for gingers) bore me, so I thought I should find a compromise . . so I don't just get the compliments and wow effect when i let it loose in a couple of years time when it has grown super long :P

Timkerbelle:
Awh, thank you ! They love you too :D
Awesome blog btw, been Vegan for 5-6 years !

Sylvanas:
Yeah ^^ Thanks . I love your turqoise on your photos, just beautiful ! Was considering between that and pink but I have a friend with turqoise and I don't want to match her :P

PrincessP:
Thank you, I love your hair !

Wheatland:
Thank you so much !
I need to go get the bars shortened so they look funny in the pics, but aah it's all good ^^

Vorvolaka:
Thank you sweetie (:

Dizzy_zzz:
Thank you !
Your hair looks gorgeous and thick on your avatar, love it !

GlennaGirl:
Thank you, I hope it goes well !
Even 1 day after I can see where the blonde is, the brown has started growing out, looks like i have ants in my hair . Is that normal or does my hair grow rly quickly ? O.o

leslissocool:
Thank you darling !
I wasn't sure if it would suit me, I think pink only works for rly cute ppl . I don't even like the colour pink hahaah but yeah thought I should give it a go :P
I _was_ on that route but . . I just get So bored . Now I can't stop staring at myself but it does make me happier about my hair and growing it and I get compliments all the time ^^
I'd rather keep the damaged hair, but that's me . Yay ! I'm glad many people here do that, wasn't sure, I mostly hang out in henna bit and lurk and read and people lighten with honey etc, being all good to their hair . .
Oh I've fried it in the past, those parts fell off ages ago haha . . I am just going to do the roots, hopefully wont get sick of the pink, even if i want to change the colour in the future i can wash it out and remove the colour in nice harmless ways by using strong schampoos and such and dying over with one component dyes, so I'm not too worried . ^^
I'll add length pics once I have access to my battery charger for my camera, visiting family in sweden for persian new years and forgot the charger and it died after one photo which is why you all got ****ty webcam pictures heheh . .

Briar:
Ah that sounds beautiful !
I love teal .
How would you suggest is the best way to give it moisture ?
I'm reconsidering ways I used to give it moisture because I think it will make the colour bleed out but at the same time, i don't mind a less strong pink colour to be fair . . a light cupcake colour would be sweet too !
I'll be very careful when bleaching roots and will ask my good friend to do it again, the one who did this, she is great and careful . Also covering the hair in conditioner first makes it much much much happier before bleaching !

EbonyCurls:
Thank you ! That's Exactly what I wanted, hair that's beautiful and unique at any length, even shorter than an inch ^^
I just bleached the sides but the colour bled onto it, leaving it liight pink, which is such a cool unexpected effect, makes it very cute . .
Mermaid ! Exactly what I had been thinking hehehe and with my natural curls, gorgeous ! That's the plan (:
Purple is so lovely, I remember someone here hair long purple hair, it's beautiful ! You should do it ^^
You could even start now, weak bleach, special effects dye . Their dyes are good because they're the most high in pigment of all vegan one component dyes I have tried . It's basically like a conditioner but with a strong stain .
Can't wait to see your purple hair in the future hehehe . .

Rhosyn_du:
Oh ! I knew someone my friend dated who had loong dark green hair, suit her so much . Reminded me of The House of the spirits by Isabel Allende, think it's there where a child is born with green hair . . love magical realism <3
Yay I hope my hair stays happy until it gets to tailbone ! I just need to find ways to super moisture it, I think . .

RitaPG:
Hi darling !
Thank you :D
Heheh I love it too . .
Oh Adora Batbrat ! I know of her, I'm from Sweden as well, and into similar music as her heheh . . yeah I think I might wash out the colour and let it go a cupcakey pink, like Adora had I remember, but mine will be very different, much shorter and curlier, but yeah she made me like cupcake pink haha ! I don't rly like pink but somehow I can stand it . .
I can't wait to see it that long too and pink !
Good thing about dying it now is that I have it up more often because it looks beautiful even up . Before it looked dull and I felt naked, now I feel pretty so I've gotten more hairtoys for keeping hair up ! That'll make it healthier :D

Enfys:
Ahh ! I remember finding her somehow a year ago or less, she has awesome hair . Way too much upkeep for me hahah I've had multicoloured hair before and had to go back to one, it's too much to fix all the time but for her, wow, totally worth it ! I'll go lurk at her pics more now hehe . .

Sundial:
I'll do that, I left my oil in London but I'll be back home next week . Sadly the dog sharing a room with me ended up knocking it over when I was heating it to make it liquid so I now have a patch in the carpet which is oily at All times and wasted half of the already expensive oil . . sigh .

Sugarpixie10988:
Thank you ! Love your hair and colour, so sweet !
Can't wait to wrap it after next time I shower and see it straight, take some length shots etc ;D

Dreamspell:
Do it ! Go on ;)
Treat yourself .
You can have long hair and dyed, just if you minimize other ways you could damage it, keep it up most of the time, use coconut oil, give it moisture, don't use heat, use nice hairtoys that are good for hair, don't let bag straps be on it, don't let it get stuck in zips, etc. . You can do it ! :D
Black hair is pretty too . I always get bored of it though, after a week . -.-

wvgemini:
Wow ! Hahaha awh thank you heheeh . . weirdest doll ever :D

kawaii_koneko:
Same here hah . . I don't know why I've dyed my hair pink once in the past and now again, I don't even like the colour ! Strange .

Koots:
Thank you ! I feel that it lives its own life . .

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I love your new look! :D My hair is dyed burgundy red and I am not giving that up in order to have longer, super glossy hair. I'd love to go pinker but that is not an option in my line of work. :rolleyes: The only way you and I will know if it is possible is to try; at least we have the knowledge of LHC available. I have just bought some coconut oil although I haven't used it yet. I am looking at only permanently colouring the roots and applying semi-permanent to the lengths, so not dissimilar to your plan.

lacefrost
March 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm so excited for you! I'll be following your progress. I've been wanting to bleach streaks into my hair but I don't know what color I'd dye them and if my hair would all fall out, etc. But! I think your plan of action makes sense. I think you can still grow long hair. It may take a little longer and bit more babying but just imagine curly pink buttlength hair. :thud: Amazeballs.

Toadstool
March 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Very very awesome!

RitaCeleste
March 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, someone was telling me that pretreating the hair with coconut oil before coloring could help protect it from the peroxide. I hate my natural hair and I've been freshening up my red hair with a 20% developer for too long. Adore is a semiperment color that supposedly outlasts manic panic and some other brands.
I adore bright red hair!!! I grew longer hair when it was natural. But I like it best unnatural.

RedheadMistress
March 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Firefox7275:
Ah I see, nawh I'm glad I'm an artist and have the freedom to look how I want to do !
Coconut oil revolutionised my hair . 100&#37; pure coconut oil that I had to melt in front of my heater, made my hair completely different . Hope you get the same effects !
Yeah my roots are pretty much finished . My hair is more pink than it shows on these pics, I will add pics taken by a good camera when I get back to London :P

But yeah I'm thinking of slowly coloring the roots a lighter shade of pink so in the end it is baby cupcake pink at the top and gets stronger the lower down you get ! :D

Lacefrost:
Cool ^^
Streaks shouldnt be so bad, depending on what colour you want them . If you want white hair, it'll get more damaged than if you want red streaks f.ex.
Yeah aww and I want a gradual change in the hair as well . . it's going to be so pretty !

Toadstool:
Thank you lovely !

RitaCeleste:
Oh, my friend that I was helping dye her hair as she did mine, uses Adore .
It could well be better than Manic Panic, though I think Special effects probably has the highest nr of pigments, it is just amazing, the coverage, even on orange or light brown hair !

I like mien best unnatural as well, and I think there is a compromise possible . .

I adore red long hair, but for some reason decided to do bright pink now heh got bored of my red hair . .

RadiantNeedle
March 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Love it! Very Delirium! You're much braver than I am, with the shaving. If I was brave enough I'd have knee length dreadlocks in multiple colours coming out of a topknot with most of my head shaved xD

morecowbell
March 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
My lord, breathtaking hair, RedheadMistress! :D Absolutely stunning and original, and I love your idea of having paler pink roots... man, you're making me want to do amazing things to my hair! Must. Resist... ;)
It is most definitely doable to grow bleached hair out to tailbone, especially when you're being as careful with it as you are.
Congrats on your awesomeness! :)

einna
March 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I love it! Cant wait to see how it will look at tailbone with lighter roots :D Happy growing!

braidedbelle
March 20th, 2011, 12:25 PM
the color is incredible! and it looks so healthy!

Pyvsi
March 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I always tell myself when my hair gets naturally light enough (grey) I'm going to dye it a rich purple color. I'm going to be 70 with butt-length purple hair!

I am SOOO stealing your idea. :eyebrows: I'll do a nice, soft lavender, though.

RedheadMistress, I love your original hair and what you're rocking now. I would have loved to have seen you in dreadlocks if you had gone that route, too.:cheese:

pink.sara
March 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Very cute :)

I made it to tailbone (42 inches) with bleaching from dark natural auburn to a very pale yellow and manic panic pink over the top.
It was in comparable condition to my darker underlayer as long as I used coconut oil before the bleach.

Hope to see you at tailbone with crazy colours... Thats where Ill be in about 3 years ;)

PiroskaCicu
March 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
It's so bright!! I love it!

:)

1953Diygal
March 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Wow! You have my dream hair!!! I love the pink color and the Exene Cervenka dready curls!!

Monkie
March 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
To the OP.
Off topic, but I loove your eye makeup. What do you use for that? Just regular eyeliner?

RedheadMistress
March 21st, 2011, 01:42 AM
- Awh, thank you !
I use Mac's Blacktrack, which is a gel eyeliner, and a fine brush from an art supply store !

It's good because gel eyeliners like this end up being cheaper because they last for ages . It's lasted almost 2 years while usually I'd buy eyeliner that has it's own little brush and is very liquid and I'd have to re-buy one ever couple of months . . ^^

Avital88
March 21st, 2011, 03:28 AM
Wow! this is super cool! i do think its a hard to maintain look, its possible to grow to tailbone but with a lot of babying i think.. good luck!

heartgoesboom
March 21st, 2011, 04:30 AM
good luck growing it long! it will look gorgeous once it is :)

dollface
March 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM
this gives me hope that i can keep coloring my hair crazy colors while it grows ^^

JatnnaBibi
December 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
YOU AND YOUR HAIR ARE BEAUTIIFFULLL
seriously you are beautiful the color suits you. BTW if you don't want to bleach check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOW51iwYopw

Amber_Maiden
December 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Very pretty hair!

IubireaDraga
December 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
oh wow !!! :D

i've been thinking about coloring my hair with casting creme gloss in mahogany but wasn't sure if it would damage my hair to much etc... but now when i see this and how brave you are it makes me feel I can do it to! and i dont even have to bleach!!

love your hair !!

RitaPG
December 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
oh wow !!! :D

i've been thinking about coloring my hair with casting creme gloss in mahogany but wasn't sure if it would damage my hair to much etc... but now when i see this and how brave you are it makes me feel I can do it to! and i dont even have to bleach!!

love your hair !!
I used to dye my hair with that brand, and it made my hair feel great, but I only did it two or 3 times a year.
If you intend to dye it more often, be careful with the developer; peroxide based developers are as bad as bleach, since they strip the natural color of your hair too, and in the long run it becomes dry and damaged. You can minimize the damage with protein and moisture treatments.

If you're looking for a temporary color, I'd suggest something that doesn't have anything with bleach or peroxide. I've dyed my hair several times with purple by mixing Stargazers with my conditioner. It doesn't last as long, but it doesn't damage my hair either.