PDA

View Full Version : Stress and Hair

PineappleJello
March 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
You've all seen comics where a stressed person is pulling their hair out, right? I always thought it was a figure of speech until last night I realized that I'd been sitting, furrowing my brow, trying to write a paper and sliding my fingers through my hair in hopes that a loose hair will be in my fingers.

It sounds rather disturbing put like that, however looking back I've done something similar through the years, always the same situation. I'd be bent over, concentrating on homework and I'd be pulling out my eyebrow hairs (I justified it by saying it's no different than thinning you're eyebrows).

The more I think about it the worse it seems, and the more I want to touch my hair. Because I'm spending time writing this out my scalp is literally tickling and itching.

Firefox7275
March 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
It's not quite the same but I play with/ twirl my hair A LOT, to the point I have damaged it as there are many breaks where an elastic sits for a pony and round my face. I do this when I am tired, stressed, bored, concentrating ... I have to tie my hair back so there are no loose ends, could you maybe do the same, or wear a headscarf?

I have read a little about Trichotillomania (hair pulling) and it seems the habit is easier to break if you catch it before it becomes entrenched, also there are a ton of self help techniques if you read around. I'm not saying you have a problem yet but it's best to nip it in the bud, right? Also maybe go see your doctor about your stress levels or take up some form of vigorous physical activity.

Phexlyn
March 18th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I'm not sure if that's going to help (not with the eyebrows anyway), but could you either bun your hair so that you can't run your fingers through it or put something in your hair so you don't want to touch it? Like a really generous oil treatment and put a shower cut on?
Maybe you just need to overcome the habit of pulling hair when stressed.

However, if you feel this is going exteme, I'd advise you to see a doctor. Pulling hair in larger amounts for whatever reason is a medical condition and you should get professional advice.

Fufu
March 18th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Tie your hair up into a bun, keep your hair away from you behind, in this case you will not be distracted by your hair and feel like touching or pulling it.

When I stress, I do tend to pull my hair at times so I will bun my hair behind and leave my hair alone.

CarpeDM
March 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Tie your hair up into a bun, keep your hair away from you behind, in this case you will not be distracted by your hair and feel like touching or pulling it.

When I stress, I do tend to pull my hair at times so I will bun my hair behind and leave my hair alone.

Yes, put your hair up in a bun so you can't be tempted to touch it. You could also look into buying a stress ball to keep your fingers busy...

pariate
March 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM
You've all seen comics where a stressed person is pulling their hair out, right? I always thought it was a figure of speech until last night I realized that I'd been sitting, furrowing my brow, trying to write a paper and sliding my fingers through my hair in hopes that a loose hair will be in my fingers.

It sounds rather disturbing put like that, however looking back I've done something similar through the years, always the same situation. I'd be bent over, concentrating on homework and I'd be pulling out my eyebrow hairs (I justified it by saying it's no different than thinning you're eyebrows).

Me too. I thought I was the only person who did that.... Pleased that I'm not! I am making a concerted effort not to though. I have dark hair and brows, so if I end up tugging too many out my eyebrows look weird! :p

feb26
March 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I do this too, though in my case it's more of a rummaging for loose hairs..I know they're in there, if I can find em before they falll out natually, I'm a happy girl. I get loose hairs in my bra, tank tops,on my shoulders..the feel of it slipping out drives me nuts. I've never "tugged" though so I think that's when it goes from harmless to harmful. if you're only doing it infrequently you're probably ok, but if it's all the time, or you've got spare patches due to it, probably time to get some help.