PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Frustrated With Too Many Hair Failed Experiments?

Maelyssa
March 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
This is basically a minor rant about spending lots & lots of time & money attempting to get my hair just right. Find my Holy Grail hair products & routine but NOTHING seems to be doing it lately & I'm actually running out of money to spend & tired of the letdown.
I'm sure there must be someone else out there who feels like this every now & again.

For example, over the past few months I've tried CO for probably the tenth time since joining LHC & no matter what I do it's still an utter failure no matter what products I use to do the wash.
Then I saw the new Organix Moroccan Argan Oil products and also their Cherry Blossom line both which gave me my best hair ever for exactly one week. After that my scalp turned to massive buildup which I tried then only using the shampoo then only the conditioner hoping that maybe one of these products would still work but NOPE...had to stop using the line. Years ago I tried the coconut line & the same thing happened but I was hoping it was the coconut in the product not the product line in general. Next would be the new Garnier Pure Clean Conditioner & anti-frizz creme. They don't have cones so I thought maybe this would be a nice medium between natural & not so natural. All I can say is tacky, icky hair....blah!
I have the entire underneath of my bathroom sink filled half used product bottles to remind me of wasted money.
I"m going to order the Toadstool shampoo from Etsy next week & I'll see what I can do for conditioner but this can be a real downer sometimes.

On a positive note I've FINALLY stopped using a brush & a cheap Goody detangling comb for curly hair from Walmart has become an amazing tool to use. And also these hair ties from Goody. They're a bit bigger than an elastic tie & a bit smaller than a scrunchie. They're black & soft...made of a terry cloth material. I can say they are super duper gentle.

I"m keeping my fingers crossed for the new shampoo when I get the money to order it but trying to have amazing hair can at times be a real pain in the butt.

End of rant. Thanks all for bearing with me!

turtlelover
March 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
My hair gets tired of products after awhile, too. I seem better if I rotate frequently. Maybe you are meant to be a person who rotates!

ElusiveMuse
March 17th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have found that there isn't a Holy Grail of product, that it's a constantly evolving and adapting process involving a combination of products. I never use the same stuff twice in a row, I think. Rather than focus so much on product, I have tried to become attuned to my hair and scalp so I can respond to it with my arsenal that includes many products which are sometimes the Holy Grail of That Day and other days are not.

Firefox7275
March 18th, 2011, 02:15 AM
:( Maybe read Ursula's advice for newbies again and spend some time in benign neglect? One of the things to strike me about it is the advice to slow down and make one change at a time, sticking with it for a few weeks if possible. I have sensitive skin so worried about exposing my skin to lots of new chemicals, one product at a time means I should be able to work out the culprit if there is a problem.

The other thing I am finding helpful is to take a good look at my hair type and the ingredients products I already have - good or rubbish - I had cones in everything yet wasn't really using anything containing humectants or oils! I'm looking to just use one basic shampoo and conditioner base, to which I can add a natural ingredient (coconut/ honey). That way I know exactly what changes are being effective and what are a nightmare. Once you feel ready to start up again, this is something you can do with your so-so products? :confused:

varintalonguard
March 18th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I feel the same way. Cones build up funny when I don't use an detergent shampoo and the shampoo makes my hair frizzy. Finally, sadly, I had to cut all my layers but the longest. Thanks fully that part of my hair loves shampoo bars. Glad to see you are trying out Etsy. I love that place.

pixiedust
March 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
having a cosmetology liscence is a death sentence in this aspect, because hair products are so inexpensive for me... until I bought and tried every salon product on the market.

I finally was like, "screw it, i don't care anymore." I clarified and pretty much used devacurl for every wash even though I didn't like it so much.

I threw in an SMT here and there and did ACV rinses instead of shampoo every once in a while. The condition was getting better every day, all but the very ends which were uneven and "fairytale"-like, despite my hair being like 8 inches long at the longest parts.

One night I got so frustrated with the tangly sticky dryness that I took my shears and chopped off every uneven length of hair. In the dark. Without a comb. Yes, my haircut is ugly. However, my hair looks so much healthier that I'd consider it to be the best it's looked in a long long time.

So all in all, I'd agree with the fact that once you use something that your hair kind of likes or only likes for a little while, keep it around. Noticed how it makes your hair feel at the root, the midstrand and the ends and take a mental note. Play around with different combos and styling options - for example, my hair has to be left alone ENTIRELY after I comb through it or else it's frizzy and tangly. The same products can be used but if I dont pin it back and let it dry before playing with it, it will look horribly thin and dry. If I leave it alone, it looks gorgeous and healthy and full :)

And if all else fails, maybe your ends need to be evened out ? random lengths seem to really wreak havok on my growth.

Maelyssa
March 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks so much ladies! I definitely will go back over some of the newbie info.
For the longest time I was using shampoo & conditioner from David Babaii for WildAid & it was my HolyGrail product but absolutely every store around here seems to have stopped carrying it & are on to the next trendy thing.
I used it for a few years & my hair as well as my kids hair was great.
I was hoping to find something else that would work like this for me...something I can just stick to & know I get good results but I guess I'll be rotating products for a while unless I find another product that works consistently.

And the shampoo I want to buy from Etsy is kind of a liquid shampoo bar because shampoo bars worked but storage of them was not working & it was a bit hard getting my kids to use them correctly so I wanted something in a bottle. Maybe the Toadstool stuff will be as amazing for me as it is for other LHC members.

Thanks again! :D

Firefox7275
March 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
David Babaii is sold on eBay.