PDA

View Full Version : Accidental skip curls from bunning?

snowbear
June 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Lately, every time I take down my hair after bunning, I get a cross between dreadlocks and skip curls. About an inch in diameter, they start at the base of my head and continue all the way down the length. Most of my hair is in about six of these curls, and the rest is just fine.
ETA: This is also right after I've thoroughly brushed my hair.

I'm baffled, and combing them out is getting annoying.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? Any clue as to what's causing it--and any ways to fix it?

ETA2: This (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52987) is a great example of skip curls.

hurricane_gia
June 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I have never heard of skip curls before. What are they?

When I damp bun, I end up with long ringlet looking things. But, they only last for about thirty minutes.

Aisha25
June 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I kind of get the same thing. If I bun when my hair is wet then I get very dry ends and there bent and look kind of all intertwined together if that makes sense. So if I do a bun I always have to when fully dry and combed out and not all day.

snowbear
June 12th, 2008, 10:51 PM
hurricane_gia, they are basically ringlets, but they stay and are nearly dreadlocks in texture. Here's (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52987)an old thread from the archives.

Aisha25 That does sound similar! For me though, the ends are all part of the whole ringlock. (Ringlet+Dreadlock, wow I'm witty. :razz:)

manderly
June 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM
My ends turn into a bent up ratty mess when I damp bun. They get all kinked on the end and matt up. I HATE that.

But I have no idea what a skip curl is.

Queenie
June 13th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I get them too, snowbear. Although I can easily comb them out, and they don't return until after the next bun. I don't get them after every (damp) bun either, haven't been able to pinpoint when they do and don't show up :ponder:

Lixie
June 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I get those too. Usually after damp bunning, but sometimes after I've gone to bed with my hair combed out but wet. No idea why I get them though. :shrug:

harley mama
June 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I think I will try the skip curls on my hair the next time it is wet.

snowbear, sorry that I am not any help to you. But, thanks for starting this.
I missed the skip curl thread.

DotDotDot
June 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I get them as well, but they don't start at the top of my head, they start closer to my ears. Also, all my hair does that. I have way more than 6. Skitts describes them as "spiral ropes."

eadwine
June 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Even I get them, just less big and tight.

I wish I could get my hair to look like that! (grass greener fence thing again)

Sherri
June 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I still don't understand the part about twisting around the finger. I get the part about it being twisted round like a jump rope. Video for the directions impaired. Please

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I never imagined that anyone would do this on purpose!!!

I get it from damp or wet bunning. Used to annoy me. Not so much anymore.

The longer my hair gets the more it does this kind of loose dread looking clumpy thing.

Sherri
June 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Oh, I thought that they would be more like spiral curls?

busnutmedic
June 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yes! It has stopped me from bunning my hair damp and waiting for it to dry for "curls." It just became a big twisted mess when I separated the formerly bunned hair with my fingers.

Bonnie

Angellen
June 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I get loose ones...It's like my hair just wants to stay twisted, so it breaks into about four sections and twists all on its own. :shrug:

hurricane_gia
June 16th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Ha! Well, after I said that this had never happened to me, it actually did!

So, last wash-day I tried out Cocaloe creme for the first time, just to see how it would work as a styling gel. The next couple of days I wore my hair up and forgot all about the Cocaloe. Then, yesterday evening, I decided to let my hair down and when I undid the bun -- skip curls! And they really stayed put! In fact, when I went to comb my hair before bed, I ran my comb through the curls over and over and they just wouldn't uncurl! I finally spritzed my hair with some water and conditioner mix to flatten the curl enough that I could braid my hair for bedtime.

So, I guess now I know what to put on my hair before I try curling it.

rhubarbarin
June 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I get those in my hair all the time - not from bunning, they occur naturally, mostly in my canopy. They aren't matted-feeling or tangled, though. Just long, very tight stretched-out ringlets.

I don't like them because they are so tight that I feel like they make my hair look thinner. And no matter what I do to pull them apart they always twist back together somehow.. combing doesn't work for my hair so I'm kind of stuck with them.