PDA

View Full Version : short hairs on top

tashalee
March 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hello all! I'm very new to natural hair care. I have highlighted hair that's about 4 inches past my shoulders. It's not too unhealthy as I haven't used styling tools with heat etc. and I try to go as long as I can between washings. I just barely switched to a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner and tried the vinegar diluted with water solution for clarifying (which I must say my hair liked quite a bit). I have thick wavy hair which I'm trying to learn to love and accept:)
Something that drives me nuts is that I have short thick wiry hairs at the top of my head. I don't use harsh hair clips of any sort and am gentle with my hair when wet and dry etc. Is this new hair growth or damage of some kind? If I could somehow tame them so they stay down and aren't always standing on end here and there throughout the day I'd be grateful and much happier with my hair. I'm not sure if I'm just being a super perfectionist or not so i thought I'd throw this out there and see what I get for responses. thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and respond!

Yozhik
March 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hi there! :waving:

Welcome to LHC! :flower:

Those short hairs are probably part of new growth, especially if you look at them and their ends don't seem to be broken or split, but are instead tapered. Some people call them halo hairs, I think. :)

I'm happy when I discover shorter hairs because they're my future thickness, and I try to tread them nicely (although when I was younger and not as hair-wise, I used to pluck them out. :nono:). One way I've heard that helps them lie flatter is putting something like aloe vera gel or a very very light coating of oil or conditioner on them to weigh them down.

Hope that helps!

tashalee
March 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Oh I'm guilty of plucking them at times! Halo hairs....I like that:) Thanks that is helpful. I'll have to try out the aloe vera.

selderon
March 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have the same challenge, especially around my hairline. I find that they are less noticeable if I style my hair a little more loosely.

Olyve
March 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I have new growth after major winter shed, and just weight them down with a thin coat of sweet almond oil. :)

McFearless
March 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Its new growth, be happy!

The wiry ones always seem to stick out the most.

ratgirldjh
March 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Yay! I'm having the same thing! I guess it is Spring! :)

tashalee
March 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM
OK, from here on out accepting short hairs as new growth and accepting with joy:D
although...my hair is thick enough as it is!