PDA

View Full Version : Confused about freezing henna before dye release

ellen732
March 16th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I was under the impression that you don't have to wait for dye release before freezing henna paste. But from what some have said here, and on H4H, many people said you should or you won't get the added boost of color that freezing paste provides. I mixed my henna with red zinger tea (like I always do) but I put it in the freezer soon after mixing (like with 5 minutes). When I defrosted it and used it this weekend I definitely got a deeper stain than I would have with just waiting 3 to 4 hours for dye release (I use yemeni). So now I am thinking if I waited for dye release before freezing it would have been even a deeper stain. Can anyone confirm any of this concept for me once and for all? TIA.

fairystar32
March 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hi
this is what is repeatedly said on the H4H forum. It needs to have started dye releaase before being frozen and then freezing super boosts the colour.
I have read if its made with weak tea it is possible to put it straight in, as it will release before it freezes in the freezer ,but its best to wait until it starts to release just incase.

fairystar32
March 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Henna paste can get a bump of extra dye release from being frozen. Make sure dye release has begun before you freeze the paste if you are hoping to enhance dye release. With an acidic liquid mix, that will mean letting it stand for 12 hours or more, while with a neutral mix dye release will happen within the first couple of hours. Freezing the paste will not take the place of standing time. If you freeze an acidic mix before it has started to release dye, it will not gain extra dye release from being frozen. If the paste has sat so long that it has passed the point of dye release and has begun to demise, freezing will not revive it. In a frozen state, henna paste will stay strong and usable for at least 6 months, possibly a year. It must be protected from air while frozen, and it's best not to expose it to warm air longer than necessary when thawing. Zip-loc bags make a good container for frozen paste since you can flatten out the paste for quicker thawing, or even break off a chunk just the size you need for a roots touch-up.

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/26

fairystar32
March 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I have asked......

to check on the forum, why they recommend it :)