PDA

View Full Version : Guar (as seen on Dr. Oz)

Copasetic
March 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Today's Dr Oz featured a segment about beauty myths. One of the myths was that vitamins in your hair products will benefit your hair. Since hair is dead tissue this is not the case, except when it comes to B5 which acts as a humectant. The physician that was speaking during the segment said that an ingredient you should look for in your hair care products is GUAR.

Um, what the heck is guar? I googled and it wasn't helpful. Does anyone know what it is? What it does? What products is it in?

Lynda
March 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I've only heard of Guar Gum.

Bump. :)

In2wishin
March 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Guar is from the plant Cyamopis tetragonoiobus (try saying THAT 5 times fast :p ). It is generally a powder that is used as a thickener, emulsifyer, and stabilizer in all kinds of cosmetics and personal care products.

I would love to know exactly what the advantages are since I have a bag of it right in front of me.

Copasetic
March 16th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Guar is from the plant Cyamopis tetragonoiobus (try saying THAT 5 times fast :p ). It is generally a powder that is used as a thickener, emulsifyer, and stabilizer in all kinds of cosmetics and personal care products.

I would love to know exactly what the advantages are since I have a bag of it right in front of me.

Do you use it on your hair?

In2wishin
March 16th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Do you use it on your hair?

I use it to thicken my homemade shampoo.

Copasetic
March 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM

And you have great hair! There must be something to this guar thing.

Idun
March 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I use it to thicken sauces. What is it supposed to do for your hair?

leslissocool
March 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Where did you get it? I wanna try it :cheese: I am so easily enabled!

In2wishin
March 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I use it to thicken sauces. What is it supposed to do for your hair?

Besides what it does to the actual cosmetic (shampoo or conditioner) it adds moisture to the hair plus adds slip to aid combability.

In2wishin
March 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Where did you get it? I wanna try it :cheese: I am so easily enabled!

This is where I got mine but it can be found at many natural foods stores and on ebay

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=GUAGP

hairfanatic
March 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Guar gum i definitely need to read some more on guar gum?

x0h_bother
March 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Interesting. On a tangent, I work with Pharmacists and consult them from time to time about vitamins. They agree that not only is taking large amounts of water and fat soluble vitamins not very helpful (low absorption), but it can be detrimental (it used to be thought that large amounts of water sol vites were okay but research shows toxicity). So I have changed my vitamin habits to food consumption. End tangent.

Signe
March 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
anyone know if you can use guar for slip in a WO routine?
xox

jujube
March 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I think it can also be used to thicken SMTs.