PDA

View Full Version : Possible to grow hair long in your 30s ?

jhill923
March 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Im wondering if age affects your ability to grow hair long ?? I am 31 and want to grow my hair out to a lower back length, ive never tried so I dont know how long I can go (genetically) but has anyone found age to affect growth ?

Nevvie
March 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
You shouldn't have any problems growing your hair long at 31. My Aunt grew hers from shoulder to waist when she was well into her 50's and it grew as fast and turned out as healthy as her daughter's who was in her mid 30's at the time. Heck, they both seemed to have hair that grew faster than mine in my 20's. That side of the family must have gotten all the good hair growth genes.... :P

PeacenQuietGal
March 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Well I'm 45 and I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference in growth rate as my 14 y/o daughter...

Also I've had a complete hysterectomy, yet I don't think thataffects my hair growth too, too much either.

Funwithsharps
March 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I am 33 and have never had a problem with hair growth or any of those other rumored body failings that gossip says happen after you turn 30.

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 12:08 PM
There's a thread dedicated to growing over age 40; I think it's more about the social side of things than the abililty to grow. That's pretty telling :D

I'm not in that age bracket for a few years, but my mum grew her hair out in her 50s with no more effort (actually far less!) than me!

AFAIK, difficulties may only come with much older people as growth tends to slow and their hair thin a little. But that is much older than you. More than twice as old.

Keep yourself in good health generally and your hair will thrive with just a little extra attention. Average growth is only half an inch a month so don't think your rate is slow because you're older than some; it's slow for almost everyone.

jeanniet
March 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm 52 and post-menopause, and my hair is growing at the same rate as ever and hasn't lost any thickness. In fact, I think this may be the longest it's ever been. I see no reason why you can't grow your hair as long as you want at your age! :)

Smile4Kiki
March 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM
My mom recently turned 52 and has grown her hair the longest I can remember (between apl and bsl). If she were fluent in english she would probably be an avid LHC'er. I've taught her a few of the things I learned on here and now she swears by acv rinses.

selderon
March 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Honey, you're 31, not 131! It will grow. Take it from a woman almost 3 years older than you. ;)

UltraBella
March 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
31 is young !!!!!!! I am going to turn 35 in a few months and I certainly feel young and have no problem growing hair. My hair grows faster than my 15 yr old daughter's hair.

virgo75
March 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Shouldn't be a problem.

My mom is in her 50s and always complains about her hair because it grows too fast for her. :lol:

She has me trim it to shoulder or APL and it quickly grows back to waist length which is uncomfortable for her to wash and do. She always wears it up with a large barrette and washes 1 or 2 times per week with whatever = Pantene, Herbal Essences, etc.

I don't think age will slow down or stop your hair growth unless you have some health problems or poor nutrition.

Best of luck on your hair growth. :)

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Welcome to LHC! If you read around the many different threads you will see many ladies - and some gents! - of forty plus with long glossy locks that would put a teenager to shame. :) Westerners tend to have shorter hair past 30 just as a cultural thing, many ladies of South Asian origin will keep long hair their whole life. The world record holder is in her fifties I think?

spidermom
March 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I started growing my hair out in my mid-40s. No problems.

Sweetie
March 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you for this thread - I'm 32 and I've started growing my hair a few years ago - bra strap leght by now, really hope the'll keep going!!!

RavennaNight
March 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Don't you worry! It will grow. Trust me.

<------look at my age!

didrash
March 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I think LHC is full of ladies past their 30's with absolutely amazing hair, Just look at some pictures :).

Fingolphin
March 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I am still growing and I am in my mid-30's and I see no reduction in speed of growth! It's growing out right now after a huge cut last year.

princessp
March 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
37 and still growing long and strong! :)

In2wishin
March 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Started really growing my hair in my mid 40's. Post menopausal now and my growth rate still averages 6" a year.

Florida Mom
March 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I am 35 and started growing long (again) and am now past tailbone length with the healthiest hair I've had since I was a kid!

leandrahime
March 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I sure hope so, considering my age! Although it;s already about BCL, I need to grow it all the way out to there AGAIN do get rid of all this dye damage. We can be growing buddies!

lora410
March 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I will be 30 In april and my hair still grows the same rate as when I was a teen :)

patienceneeded
March 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Considering that hair grows even after we're dead, I think trying to grow it out in your 30's won't be a problem. ;)

Speckla
March 16th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I didn't start growing my hair until after I hit 30. I'm at or a little below waist when stretched out. I started at shoulder just less than 2 years ago.

Kathie
March 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I had to have a bit of a laugh... its like you are implying 31 is really old :D

I've just turned 30 and everything, including hair growth, is functioning just like when I was 20.

jackiesjottings
March 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I am 50 with classic length hair. I had it this length before, then cut it in 1995 aged 35. I started growing again at the beginning of 2005 aged 44. So mine has grown OK and pretty fast as well :))

elbow chic
March 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hair grows after you are dead?! F'n creepy, people. Cool though.

Thirty! ha! Talking like one foot's in the grave.

My mom's turning fifty this year and hers is about waist. It was never "short" but wasn't always as long as it is now, either. She tried out a couple APL-ish cuts during her thirties, but they didn't really do much for her.

HairColoredHair
March 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hair does NOT grow after death, people... Maybe for a few moments, but not much.

The skin, however, retracts, so your hair and nail LOOK longer.

wvgemini
March 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hair does NOT grow after death, people... Maybe for a few moments, but not much.

The skin, however, retracts, so your hair and nail LOOK longer.

You beat me to it.
Yeah, no actual growth. It is the dehydration and retraction of the skin that gives that illusion. :)

Anyway, I should hope it is possible :D I'll be 30 this year and I can't see any issues with growing ... or anything else for that matter! :cheese:

Othala
March 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Considering that hair grows even after we're dead, I think trying to grow it out in your 30's won't be a problem. ;)

That is so cool. I am looking forward to reaching terminal length hair after I terminate, LOL!

Mesmerise
March 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM

That's actually a myth ;) Hair appears to "grow" after a person's dead, because their scalp shrinks back as it loses fluids, thus making the hair look longer!

Anyway, as for myself, at 30 I (for some reason) decided to bleach my hair and have a pixie, and I've managed to grow it long twice since then, while cutting all the damage out from the bleaching (at least BSL+ length, which was cut back to shoulder and then grown again to BSL+). I never quite get my hair to waist, mostly due to lack of patience which I'm trying to rectify now :rolleyes:.

So yeah, you should be able to grow your hair long in your 30s, or 40s or even 60s or 70s!

ravenreed
March 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I am 41 and I am still growing strong. My hair isn't as thick as it was when I was a kid, but I have plenty of hair and have no complaints!

RitaPG
March 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I have seen 50+ ladies in here with hair that makes me uber jealous. You should have no problem growing hair to that length :)

RitaPG
March 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
That is so cool. I am looking forward to reaching terminal length hair after I terminate, LOL!

This actually made me giggle loud for a bit :o

SimplySmile
March 11th, 2019, 02:27 PM
I was just thinking about this.. I am 28 and have BSL hair. I want to ultimately get to FTL. I don't see that happening until my late 30's. Is that to old to have that long of hair? I feel like society now days depicts older women with shorter hair and only younger girls should have short hair. I am going to try to break out of the norm and not care what people think. I had an English teacher who had about hip length hair and it was all pure grey, slightly wavy and very wirey. I loved it. She rocked it to, everyone would call her a long hair hippie and she was totally cool with that.

Zesty
March 11th, 2019, 02:32 PM
I was just thinking about this.. I am 28 and have BSL hair. I want to ultimately get to FTL. I don't see that happening until my late 30's. Is that to old to have that long of hair? I feel like society now days depicts older women with shorter hair and only younger girls should have short hair. I am going to try to break out of the norm and not care what people think. I had an English teacher who had about hip length hair and it was all pure grey, slightly wavy and very wirey. I loved it. She rocked it to, everyone would call her a long hair hippie and she was totally cool with that.

First, I don't see any reason that BSL to FTL would take that long, even with reasonable trims. :hmm: I went from just below shoulder to CL+ in less than 5 years, and my growth rate is nothing special. I guess if you're a heavy trimmer it could take significantly longer?

Anyway, there's no age limit on long hair if you're happy with it. You can tell just from looking around here. :)

And on the subject of 30 being a significant age... I'm crossing my fingers for knee around then. Not because I'm afraid I "won't be able to" later, but just because they're both milestones and it would be fun.

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 02:41 PM
I'm 46 and going to be 47 this year; enough said. ;)

I'm FTL+ right now, growing towards knee.

sugar&nutmeg
March 11th, 2019, 02:54 PM
I am 65 and have WL hair. I see no logical correlation between age and 'appropriateness' of long hair, assuming one's physical ability to grow hair is not compromised for any reason.

Anyway, if you contemplate our current "society" for a moment, you may decide not to listen to anything it commands you!

neko_kawaii
March 11th, 2019, 03:00 PM
I'm looking forward to being a silver bun lady.

shutterpillar
March 11th, 2019, 03:02 PM
I think you should do whatever makes you happy and not worry about societal norms.
"I'm not here to decorate your world" is a great quote I see around here often. :)

milosmomma
March 11th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I've thought about this alot. Being bsl+ right now and 31. Its not going to stop me from growing, I just wonder about hair quality, my pregnancies and age taking a toll. I wonder about greying as well. Do greys just grow in from the root? Or do long strands you've had for years turn grey? Still eagerly awaiting my first silvers :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm approaching my mid fifties..... not planning on stopping growing, and I still get over 7" a year in growth.

Katia_k
March 11th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I'll be 31 soon. My hair is, depending on how clean/curly it is, sitting somewhere around waist. It's been a slow, slow process, because of curls and breakage and grad school, but it's happening. It's maybe thinner, but I don't think that age is going to keep it from doing its thing. And if it takes you until your 40s, like it might take me... BFD. My life goals are to be the old lady with the knee-length hair and the sweet bun styling powers. Look at pictures of Victorian women; they didn't even go for the hippie look. It was pure elegance.

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 03:31 PM
I've thought about this alot. Being bsl+ right now and 31. Its not going to stop me from growing, I just wonder about hair quality, my pregnancies and age taking a toll. I wonder about greying as well. Do greys just grow in from the root? Or do long strands you've had for years turn grey? Still eagerly awaiting my first silvers :lol:

They grow in from the root. A hair that grew in with a color doesn't change shades, that's impossible (except with dye). ;)

Cg
March 11th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Never allow others to direct your choices. If you want long hair -- at any age -- grow it and enjoy!

I don't know a single other person of my paleolithic generation in real life with long hair. Matters not. To thine own self be true.

Dark40
March 11th, 2019, 05:30 PM
I'm 47 right now, and will be 48 this year, and I have WL+ hair.

I'm going for terminal length hair, and I've been growing mine for 10 years!

Ligeia Noire
March 11th, 2019, 05:55 PM
I hope yes. I still want to reach floor. My hair is not as thick as in my 20s but I am confident. My mom still has a beautiful head of hair at sixty.

MusicalSpoons
March 11th, 2019, 06:07 PM
I am actually expecting my growth to slow somewhat at some point in my 30s - but not because of age, purely because my taper tells me I'm starting to approach terminal. I'm not talking months away, but I have zero expectations of growing beyond floor with thick, luscious locks :lol: I may not even be able to reach floor length at all, who knows? But I don't correlate that with age At All, it just so happens that being almost 30 coincides with being at this point in my growing :shrug:

Ligeia you know your hair best, but from what we can see I have no doubt you'll hit floor with your thick, luscious locks ;)

Ligeia Noire
March 11th, 2019, 06:53 PM
I am actually expecting my growth to slow somewhat at some point in my 30s - but not because of age, purely because my taper tells me I'm starting to approach terminal. I'm not talking months away, but I have zero expectations of growing beyond floor with thick, luscious locks :lol: I may not even be able to reach floor length at all, who knows? But I don't correlate that with age At All, it just so happens that being almost 30 coincides with being at this point in my growing :shrug:

Ligeia you know your hair best, but from what we can see I have no doubt you'll hit floor with your thick, luscious locks ;)

Yeah I just wished I could have reached it ten years ago. Oh well... It is never too late.

cjk
March 11th, 2019, 07:00 PM
At 46 I was shaved bald with a friend.

At 48 I'm flowing nicely.

Not sure what is so special about the thirties.

AmaryllisRed
March 11th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Yep, I'm 37 and growing fine.

Aunt Rapunzel
March 11th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Yep, I'm 37 and growing fine.

I can tell from your profile picture! ;-) (That is super cute!)

And to the OP, I think that your growth is going to depend far more on your health than it is on your age.

AmaryllisRed
March 11th, 2019, 08:50 PM
I can tell from your profile picture! ;-) (That is super cute!)

And to the OP, I think that your growth is going to depend far more on your health than it is on your age.

Thanks. A portrait of me by my five-year-old daughter. :)

Margarita
March 12th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Ofcourse you can grow your hair! Age doesnt matter, what matters is to take very good care of your hair and it will grow pretty in any age!

Lady Stardust
March 12th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Thanks. A portrait of me by my five-year-old daughter. :)

I love that drawing :)

AmaryllisRed
March 12th, 2019, 08:23 AM
I love that drawing :)

Thank you. Me too. :)

drummer
March 12th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Hello everyone! I'm in my thirties and just growing out a pixie (soon maybe bob territory ... hopefully by summer :)) I don't see why it would be a problem - I concentrate on what I can (health, de-stress, environment) and well, ageing is different for everyone, but my aim is to be basically McGonagall - and if someone doesn't like it, I will hex them.

timeschild
March 12th, 2019, 08:48 AM
I am two years off from being thirty. So I hope so or else I guess I need to hope to heck that my hair grows a lot in the next two years.

Zorya
March 12th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I worried about the same thing when I was first approaching thirty and I feel like a lot of it has to do with a lot of marketing and cultural influences that tell women their net worth as human beings is depleted once they hit thirty. Growing your hair out might be different when you're in your thirties (as for me, my texture has changed a little bit) but fluctuations in how your hair looks might not necessarily correlate to your age. For example, a few years ago I lost enormous amounts of hair because of stress and my hair looked like garbage. I thought it was age, but now my hair looks a lot better, so I can safely toss that theory out the window.

johnnystiletto
March 15th, 2019, 07:28 AM
38 and mine still grows like it always has, though the texture is becoming a little more coarse/wiry, and I'm starting to see a few silvers. I've been on LHC for nearly 13 yrs, and have gone from classic length to chin length to waist length to shoulder and now back to MBL!

Crystawni
March 15th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Age won't stop your hair from growing long. It's people that do. I just think you have to do what makes you happy, which actually becomes easier the older you get as your care factor for other people's opinions, or conforming to the norm, lessens. I'm 52 this year with transitioning hair and getting closer to FTL every day with no let up in my growth rate so far, and intend to rock it for as long as I can. :rockerdud

lapushka
March 15th, 2019, 08:49 AM
38 and mine still grows like it always has, though the texture is becoming a little more coarse/wiry, and I'm starting to see a few silvers. I've been on LHC for nearly 13 yrs, and have gone from classic length to chin length to waist length to shoulder and now back to MBL!

WOW that's quite the journey! :D

In general, I think hair will pretty much grow until your last breath. ;)

Sparkles122
March 15th, 2019, 09:37 AM
I sure hope I can grow long hair in my 30s, prior to November I had hip length/almost BCL hair that i grew from a little bit above shoulder length in 2015 to 2017/2018 with trims. This past November I stupidly chopped to around BSL. I’ll be 35 this year so im crossing my fingers that I can still grow hair :o

bparnell75
March 15th, 2019, 05:23 PM
I did not start growing log hair until my 60's It grows it is just thin. Yes you will do fine!

Liosan
March 16th, 2019, 03:22 AM
Age won't stop your hair from growing long. It's people that do. I just think you have to do what makes you happy, which actually becomes easier the older you get as your care factor for other people's opinions, or conforming to the norm, lessens. I'm 52 this year with transitioning hair and getting closer to FTL every day with no let up in my growth rate so far, and intend to rock it for as long as I can. :rockerdud

Crystawni, I feel you hit the nail on the head! You do worry less about other peoples opinions compared to when you are younger. I also think maybe women today feel more free to follow their own path compared to previous times. I see this around me. My mother, who always kept her hair short, decided to grow her grays when she retired. She doesn’t want to conform to the elderly&sensible-lady-norm hairstyle. My aunt, who kept her hair short when she had children, is growing her hair long now that her children have moved out. She enjoys her hairjourney a lot :)

Lisa Long4Life
March 18th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I'm 40 and I started, um, 3 and a half years ago?:confused:

Groovy Granny
March 18th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Yup you can :agree:

I was 61 when I started and I am now looking at 68 with no plans of going short.

:lala: to the naysayers :wigtongue:

browneyedsusan
March 19th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Totally doable. :)
I was pixied from age 30ish to 45. Not anymore! :)

Messyhair
March 19th, 2019, 07:41 PM
My texture changed in my 30s, but that was pregnancy-related. Turning 40 this year... My growth may have slowed in the past year, since my natural colour isn't coming along as quickly as I'd expected. Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking that I stopped dying my hair last summer...?

SimplySmile
July 15th, 2019, 10:23 AM
It is so inspiring to see the ages of some of the back of the heads we get so used to seeing. :o

hennalove
July 15th, 2019, 10:33 AM

I'm 60 and just recently reached TBL. I'm going to see how long I can get my hair just because I can and it makes me happy. I don't worry about what society says and basically ignore any negative comments. Besides, the vast majority of times I'm out and about, my hair is in a bun anyway. It's no one else's business as to how long your hair is or how you wear it. At least that's the stand I'm taking!

Rubricappula
July 15th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Absolutely doable. I'll turn 43 this year and I chopped it all off last November to a short bob just shy of the shoulders. Now 8 months later I'm already at BSL.

But I did hear the myth that hair growth starts slowing down drastically at around age 30. Myth BUSTED ! :D

bparnell75
July 15th, 2019, 11:23 AM
I am now 78 the oldest on the forum. I am classic...just thin. However I have noticed a trend in my circle of acquaintances. Many are silver and and admirers of my Hairdos. They have begun to grow their hair out. I know all of these are over 60.

Kalamazoo
July 15th, 2019, 11:34 AM
In general, I think hair will pretty much grow until your last breath. ;)

No, it grows longer than that. I've heard of corpses needing a trim & a manicure before the funeral.

Rubricappula
July 15th, 2019, 11:35 AM
My hair goal is not a specific length but to be all silver and still be sporting a braid down my back.

When I was a teen I saw a lady in her 60' maybe and she was all silver, wore jeans, a leather west over a blouse, cowboy boots and a long silver braid down to midback. And I was like "THATS what I want when I'm all silver!"

Never changed , still my goal. She left quite an impression on me. And whenever I see a lady, all silver with that seemingly mandatory short permed hair I think about THAT lady and reaffirm my goal.

Rubricappula
July 15th, 2019, 11:37 AM
No, it grows longer than that. I've heard of corpses needing a trim & a manicure before the funeral.

That's not actually growth but the skin that dries and shrinks ...

Cg
July 15th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I am now 78 the oldest on the forum. I am classic...just thin. However I have noticed a trend in my circle of acquaintances. Many are silver and and admirers of my Hairdos. They have begun to grow their hair out. I know all of these are over 60.

Nice to know you're an inspiration! Glad to hear your acquaintances have minds of their own and choose not to bow to others' expectations of the ubiquitous short permed bubblehead.

Six Seeds
July 15th, 2019, 02:33 PM
I sure hope I can grow long hair in my 30s, prior to November I had hip length/almost BCL hair that i grew from a little bit above shoulder length in 2015 to 2017/2018 with trims. This past November I stupidly chopped to around BSL. I’ll be 35 this year so im crossing my fingers that I can still grow hair :o

I was 35 when I cut off my ponytail on Jan 1, 2017. I was between hip and TBL. I'm somewhere between armpit and BSL right now, after cutting off a good 1/2 inch to try and even it out (when I did the big cut, I ended up with chin in front but jaw in back, so it was pretty funny looking when it grew out).

gin
July 15th, 2019, 02:48 PM
I'm 37 (about to turn 38 soon!) and I neglected my hair my entire life until the past few months. Even without taking care of it, it still grew a lot (maybe 6-7in a year?). When I started paying attention to my hair earlier this year it was just reaching waist length and it's en route to hip (or whatever the next one is?) now. So it's still growing. :) I think I got between 0.5-0.75" last month.

I do know where this question is coming from, though. It seems like a lot of the social media long hairs (at least the ones I see) are much, much younger. It wasn't until I started reading this forum when I realized everyone of ALL ages has super long hair!

lapushka
July 15th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Well I'm about to be 47 and my final growth marker was FTL (I cut back to classic, just because it was no longer comfortable).

So... there you go.

Kalamazoo
July 17th, 2019, 01:57 AM
That's not actually growth but the skin that dries and shrinks ...

Oops. Sorry. I should've read the thread all the way through before chiming in. Now I see that's been mentioned before. Ah zee well....

trolleypup
July 17th, 2019, 05:35 PM
53, terminal at calf.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 18th, 2019, 12:37 AM
I'm 54 and my hair is at lower calf and still growing as fast as ever, hasn't slowed down... :)