PDA

View Full Version : Dry tangly hair day 2?

PrincessTieflin
March 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have recently given up CO only it wasn't working well anymore, and went back to shampoo and conditioner. I also do coconut oil on damp hair followed by a coney serum.

But for some reason the last mornings my hair was a dry tangly mess I don't get it. I wear a braid and sleep cap so I almost never wake with tangles. My ends feel like straw and I can barley get my fingers through it with out hearing a lot of snapping.

I haven't changed brands of products in a long time. I clarified the other day and it was fine. Till the next morning.

I don't get it Help??

sweet&sourkiwi
March 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Maybe you need a bit of protein?

xoxophelia
March 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Is there lint in your hair? It might be clinging to it due to the products and it can cause serious tangles in the tassle.

Anje
March 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Well, protein causes dry tangles for me, personally, so I wouldn't add any more unless your hair definitely likes protein.

I get something like what you describe when I've been using silicones for a while. For some reason, they cause my hair to dry out on day 2 or 3 post-wash. Try shampooing/clarifying, but then using a silicone-free conditioner and no serums. Give your hair a break from the silicones for a few washes and see if it helps.

PrincessTieflin
March 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the tips, I will give the clarify and no cones a try again.. I was more worried yall would say to trim.

BunnyBee
March 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Is there lint in your hair? It might be clinging to it due to the products and it can cause serious tangles in the tassle.

Was about to say this. Oil attracts dust unfortunately. I've actually found my tangle teezer removes a lot of dust from my hair, so maybe that could help.

It's possible I suppose that something in the coney serum doesn't play nicely with coconut oil...

virgo75
March 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Was about to say this. Oil attracts dust unfortunately. I've actually found my tangle teezer removes a lot of dust from my hair, so maybe that could help.

It's possible I suppose that something in the coney serum doesn't play nicely with coconut oil...

2nd this.
I get 2nd day crunch - actually later day crunch - from coney serums. I also get lint tangles from oil.

Have you ever tried a spray leave-in?

I've only recently re-discovered them and they work better for my hair than coney serums or oils. I can still use a drop of oil over it but I've been sticking with jojoba oil because it's lighter and causes less tangles than anything else I've tried.

sweet&sourkiwi
March 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry, sorry, I meant maybe you have protein buildup. (It was first thing in the morning and I was clearly NOT awake.) I just overcompensated for a protein deficiency with a protein overload (smart.) and my hair feels the same way...very grabby, and tangly, like you can't get a brush through it? The weird thing is that it looks pretty good! But it feels terrible. Clarifying and moisturizing is the apparent solution, so I will be doing that next wash!

HairColoredHair
March 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM
My general response to hair like that is to clarify and then heavy moisture (cone and protein free) just to get my hair back into condition.

Also, trimming any splits/damage, but only if the clarify/moisturize doesn't work.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Glad I popped in to read this thread! Sorry to hijack a bit, but I've been noticing a lot of lint in my BBB, and was like wow my apartment must be dusty! I never thought it could be all the oil I put on my hair that is attracting the lint, which is then pulled out with my BBB. Hmmm...what to do now???:confused:

chelles2kids
March 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I get something like what you describe when I've been using silicones for a while. For some reason, they cause my hair to dry out on day 2 or 3 post-wash. Try shampooing/clarifying, but then using a silicone-free conditioner and no serums. Give your hair a break from the silicones for a few washes and see if it helps.

:agree::agree: This is exactly what I was thinking as well Anje...great advice! ;)