PDA

View Full Version : Putting BSL Hair Up WITHOUT Fancy Toys

Aud200
March 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Hey all, newbie here! My hair is just past BSL, and I have just recently noticed that I have breakages where I tend to place my ponytail. At least that's what I'm guessing it's from. :( It's not the majority of the hairs or anything, but they are noticeable because they do not lay flat against my longer hairs. SO...I was wondering if people have any suggestions for alternate ways to put up hair that might put less stress, keeping in mind I do not have any fancy hair toys (yet)

And/or what a recommendation for my 1st hair toy might be (in terms of price and/or easiness to master the technique)

Nae
March 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Well you could get a knitting needle and bend it, many people use those as basic hair forks with good success. You can also buy inexpensive bamboo chopsticks. Sometimes they need sanded down. I have seen them painted with nail polish ect, and they come out really cool. At least that way you could get a feel for hairsticks/forks before deciding what more expensive toy you might be looking for.

Teresa9000
March 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM
My hair is about the same length right now. The only bun I can successfully pull off is the Equilibrium bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=23). Sometimes I can manage a Figure 8 bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=40). If you have a Target near you, I found a pair of plastic hairsticks for about $2 (US) there, and they work well.

Dina L.
March 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Maybe you should try jaw clips instead of ponytail holders. You can also use jaw clips to hold a bun.

spidermom
March 16th, 2011, 09:01 AM
A second vote on claw clips because they're readily available just about everywhere and cheap. A good style is to twist your hair up the back of your head and claw-clip the twist into place. You can leave the ends hanging free or tuck them into the twist.

Arya
March 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM
steal some chopsticks from the japanese/chinese food place at the mall, then nailpolish the bejesus out of them. Tadaaa hair sticks!

take an old sock. cut the toe out. Roll it up. make a sock bun! tadaa!

french braids! dutch braids! crown braids! the elastic only goes on the end. ^_^

Aud200
March 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions!! I will definitely try experimenting with different buns/etc and using clips/chopsticks instead of my usual hair elastics. Hopefully I can master a few new techniques that I will be able to do as easily/quickly as a ponytail...

Another question: for ponytails and braids, do you think it's better to use the cloth like hair elastics (no metal parts..they are glued together) or little plastic ones? Or are both types just really bad? I try not to wrap them too tight, just enough to be secure.

Hala
March 16th, 2011, 11:58 AM
If you have an Asian/Japanese dish store near you, you can usually buy pairs of child-sized chopsticks for about $6 or so. Those are awesome, because they're usually very smooth (often plastic) and sometimes have really cool things on the (Pokemon hairsticks!)

MindBeforeMouth
March 18th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know exactly how to use hair sticks because when ever I try my hair just falls out out the bun I made. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Animae
March 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I usually tie my hair in a knot, then tuck the tail in, then insert a hairstick to keep the whole thing from unraveling.

julliams
March 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I don't know exactly how to use hair sticks because when ever I try my hair just falls out out the bun I made. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Practice and weaving the stick so that it picks up some of the hair that is laying against your head. The first couple of times I tried it really didn't work. I actually find Ketylo sticks to be great that way. But I still needed practice.

christine1989
March 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I second claw clips. They're easy to find at any grocery store and easy to put BSL hair into. I like to do a traditional peacock twist then tuck the remaining hair back into the clip to protect the ends. You could also fold your hair in half then twist and clip it up to make sure no ends are sticking out.

pepperminttea
March 19th, 2011, 04:41 AM
What about Goody spin pins? They're not too difficult to find, they are on the pricey side for a hairtoy from a supermarket (normally $5-6 for a pair), but they are incredibly handy. :)

Theobroma
March 19th, 2011, 04:49 AM
And/or what a recommendation for my 1st hair toy might be (in terms of price and/or easiness to master the technique)

I'll put in one vote for a Flexi-8 (http://www.flexi8.com/). Check out their Sizing & Styling information to see what size you need for a ponytail; they're a hairsafe and pretty alternative to hair elastics, not all that expensive, and as easy to use as barrettes but more versatile.

tigereye
March 19th, 2011, 06:00 AM
My favourite hair toy is my pencil. Holds my hair in a bun perfectly, and I dont need any ponytail holders. I just gather, twist, stick a pencil through. As long as you trap the ends under the pencil, and go through the outside edges and the base it should stay.

I love my chopsticks too. My dad took them home from Japan and they are covered in pretty designs. They aren't meant for hair, but they are smooth and small and pretty, so I love them.

tigereye
March 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Sorry. I just realised that wasn't very easy to understand. Gather your hair up into a ponytail, but, you dont have to use a ponytail holder. Twist your ponytail from the base and keep twisting it until it starts to bend. Twist it around the base as if you were going to do a normal bun. Keep a hold of the end with one hand and with the other you insert your pencil.
When I talk about the outside twist, I mean the one that is on the outside of the bun, that joins onto the end. If you pull the end this part might try and move under the next twist. Its this next twist, on the opposite side from the end, that you want to push your pencil vertically through and trap a bit of the outside twist is you can. If you only trap a little bit, it shouldnt matter too much. Turn the pencil and push it through the base of the bun, under the end to trap it between the pencil and the main part of the bun, and push it through the outside twist of that side.
Shake your head about. It should hold well. If not just try again. You'll get the hang of it.

QMacrocarpa
March 19th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Once you have a hairstick of some sort (all of mine are made from sturdy 3/16" or 1/4" dowel from the hardware store; a pencil also works in a pinch), you can use it plus an elastic to make a handy improvised slide which works quite well to secure things like folded braids: stick the hairstick through the scalp hair behind the braid, and then loop both ends of the elastic around the ends of the stick, securing the braid against your head. I like to use a short stick for this (under 5"), but a longer one will also work. To adjust the size of the elastic, you can twist it some before you loop the second end around the stick, or weave two elastics together varying amounts.

I don't have experience with the silicone elastics, but I don't think elastics are inherently bad, I use them fairly often. Like you I don't make them super-tight. I do avoid ones with metal. My next elastic purchase will likely be a pack of the soft, terry-cloth-ish ones.

frizzinator
March 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
It takes a lot of practice. Even when hair is very long it can be frustrating while learning how to put it up and secure it. Don't let frustration deter you from your goal, because more length makes putting your hair up a lot easier.

~

I would start with a variety of pins, because you can use them now and you will always be able to use them. The spin pin is an excellent choice. I have never needed more than 2 spin pins in an updo. Bunhead pins and Amish pins are also handy, although I need to use 3 or more of them in an updo.

The Amish pins are steel colored and may be less easy to hide in the updo than the spin pins or Bunhead pins, which come in colors. If you buy Bunhead pins, I think the grayish-brown color turned out to be a very versatile and easy to blend-in color. You can see the spin pins at a drug store, although not every drug store has every color.

~

I'm a big fan of bending double pointed knitting needles to make U shaped pins. There are two skinny hot pinkish-purple ones sticking up in the top of the updo in my avatar. I usually need two or three to hold an updo.

There is a good color selection and a variety of diameters available in the double pointed knitting needles even though you might have to search a number of craft/yarn/knitting/Walmart type of stores for them. These cost about $5. for a 4 pack. I don't like the thinnest or the thickest of these needles, but there are still a lot of useful diameters inbetween. All of them are the same length.

You can bend them over the skinny part of a doorknob. Put a towel between the knob and the knitting needle and bend the needle slowly. One of these can help you learn how to use forks and it will help you figure out exactly how long the functional length of a fork needs to be in order to secure your updo.

~

Sticks and forks come in a huge variety of shapes, sizes and lengths. But you cannot know what to buy until you actually start making different types of buns and you figure out exactly what a certain bun needs to be secured. I need fat, skinny, curvy, straight, short and long sticks. Alternatively, you could just buy whatever appeals to you and you'll eventually figure out how to use it.

~

The chopsticks are a good idea for learning how to use sticks. You need a smooth surface on the chopstick. If you need to make a surface smooth and you are not handy with sandpaper, then use a fingernail file. Sometimes there are pits or spots that might snag hair on a hair toy, and one way to improve it is with clear fingernail polish.

~

Claw clips hold a bun really well. I would buy 6 of the tiny ones (to put around the perimeter of an updo) or a couple of smallish-medium sized ones (put one on each side of an updo). If these clips have a rough edge you can file off the rough plastic with your fingernail file or sandpaper. You probably already know that a big claw is useful.

~

I suspect the easiest hair toy to use at your length would be two combs with decorated elastic between them. I have one which is called an "African Butterfly comb", but there are other types although I don't know the names of them. These will hold an updo no matter how you make it.

~

The next easiest hair toy to use at your length is a slide. Sometimes they are made from stiff material and even if you measure and think and fret about the sizing, buying the correct size can still be kind of a hit or miss situation.

Flexi-8 is a slide. One trick you can use with a slide that is too small, is to start twisting your hair and secure with the slide, then wrap the remaining tail around the perimeter of the slide and use your pins to secure the tail. This can also be done with clips that are too small and this updo can also be done by starting with a ponytail using just a decorative ponytail holder, which remains in the center and you wrap the tail and pin it (it's a good idea to pin as you are wrapping the tail around).

~

The absolute best elastic for holding a ponytail are the ones like hoisery. They are slightly difficult to find only because I cannot find them everywhere. You can identify them because the edges curl up, which means you have to pull one away from the package and investigate if the edges are rolled up. Otherwise they look exactly like the other ponytail elastics.

I made my own from the smallest children's tights that I could find. You cut the legs cross-ways, into strips that ultimately curl under on the cut edge, what you end up with is a seamless circle of nylon or whatever they are made from.

They stretch out with use, but they also shrink back up to their original size when washed. I recommend you cut them wider than you think necessary, because the edges curl and they ultimately look a lot thinner than they do when you cut them.

spigette
March 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM
You can also buy inexpensive bamboo chopsticks. Sometimes they need sanded down. I have seen them painted with nail polish ect, and they come out really cool.

Ooooooo, I LOVE this idea!! And I have some awesome nail polish and some rough looking chopsticks I can try it on.... woo hoo!

QMacrocarpa
March 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Just to state the obvious, for the bent knitting needle hair pins/forks, you must start with *metal* double-pointed knitting needles.

KateMcC
March 19th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Great suggestions here!!

I don't think anyone answered the "how to use hairsticks" question (if it has been answered, I missed it--sorry)... Anyway, a lot of the hairstick sites have instructions, and you can always search www.youtube.com for hairstyle ideas. (I have spent many a late night on youtube watching very talented ladies do some amazing hairstyles--thanks to all who post there!)

I think this is the key trick:

"When you begin inserting your stick and pick up the first lock of hair, do it with the stick going in the direction facing away from your bun. Once the lock of hair is on the stick, lever the stick toward your shoulder to point the hair stick back in the proper direction, and continue the sewing motion to secure the bun as outlined above. Levering the stick with the lock wrapped around it effectively tightens the loop of hair around the stick! Picking up different amounts of hair with that first stitch will affect how tightly the lock of hair will wrap... the more hair the tighter around the hair stick."

http://www.longlocks.com/how-to-use-hair-sticks.htm

The other thing I wanted to add, per the original issue of hair breakage at the site of the ponytail holder... I have found that changing my hairstyle often is the key. Since I grew my hair out because I like variety, my personal rule has become **never wear the same hairstyle two days in a row** because I find that if I wear the same style I will either get into a rut, have breakage, get tender spots or scratches from the fork/stick/claw/whatever. Additionally, different styles work better depending on when you last washed your hair. The key is to enjoy your hair and try out some new styles. Good luck!

HintOfMint
March 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Goody spin pins are a godsend. They have them at Target and CVS and the like.

torrilin
March 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I find side combs are very useful. In situations where someone with less slippery hair might use a barrette or bobby pins, I use a side comb. Side combs have a curve to them, and they might seem useless at first. The trick is to hold the curve of the comb so it DOESN'T match up with the curve of your head. Then flip the comb so it digs into your hair and then the curve matches. Voila, then the comb will stay in place.

Scunci also makes a plastic hairpin that's a bit like a side comb, and that works well for me. It's about $5 for a bunch, and they work for a variety of updos. Like the side combs, they're a bit curved, and like side combs, you can use the curve to help you position the pins.

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hey all, newbie here! My hair is just past BSL, and I have just recently noticed that I have breakages where I tend to place my ponytail. At least that's what I'm guessing it's from. :( It's not the majority of the hairs or anything, but they are noticeable because they do not lay flat against my longer hairs. SO...I was wondering if people have any suggestions for alternate ways to put up hair that might put less stress, keeping in mind I do not have any fancy hair toys (yet)

I have the same as you, loads of breaks at the back and around the temples from a high ponytail using no snag elastics. I have switched to a scrunchy or terry bands from eBay for a low pony, Claire's Accessories beak clip (has little teeth so stays in place), jaw clips from a pound shop. I am already shedding less after only a couple of weeks! :D The beak clip is my favourite.

ladyveg
March 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I am so excited. I actually have a bun in my fine, thin APL hair, held up with a hairstick! OK, it's actually a fancy child's chopstick from everythingchopsticks.com but it was only like 1.99 so I'm thrilled with it. I now have 7 pair of "hairsticks" and with shipping I paid like $35 (because I splurged and got a $9 pair). :cool: I never thought a hairstick would actually hold a bun for me, but it works.

freckles
March 25th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Other people have mentioned these, but I vote for mini claw clips or for spin pins. Both are cheap (claw clips a little cheaper), mini claw clips are easily available -- for spin pins it will vary according to country and region but they seem to be spreading, and both are easy to learn to use :)

Eolan
March 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I use bobby pins for buns. I know some find them damaging, but I have good quality bobby pins and they are the tools that snag the least on my hair. They are cheap and you can get them everywhere, just make sure they are of good quality. You might have to try some different ones out to know wich are good and wich are'nt. :)

krissykins
March 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I don't know if anyone addressed your question about elastics, so I will. :) Ideally, you shouldn't use elastics with metal parts. They catch your hair and rip them shudder: you could use cloth hair ties, or the clear plastic ones (they can pretty much only be used once, but you can get a pack of like 60 or so at the dollar store, and it's worth it because they don't cause much breakage).

You can also cut up some old pantyhose into hair ties as well :)

I say hold off on getting a nice, fancy toy for awhile. Chopsticks will do, as will a knitting needle, for hairsticks. Maybe you can get some bun pins (they have them at most dance stores) but you probably already have bobby pins, which you can practice with. Jaw clips are good too!

Aud200
April 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wow I haven't checked this in a while, but thanks to everyone for the responses! :D

dulce
April 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
when attending my gym aerobics group classes would just twist my hair in a long rope[no elastic needed]then coil in a bun and fasten with a ficcarre clip-took 2 secs to do and it always held well plus was flat so when we lay on the floor after for a stretch it didn't hurt.