PDA

View Full Version : 300 seconds for more effective conditioning

Henrietta
March 16th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I've copied this from my article, for those of you who do not visit articles section :P

This trick really works, at least for me, and I bet it works for everyone. My hair was silky after that, though it’s not 1a. And before this simple invention I used to have a problem with frizzy haystack for a few hours after washing. Now my hair dries smooth at once.

All you need to have is your hands and a conditioner;) Oh, and 5 minutes of free time after washing.
So, having washed and rinsed your hair, remove the excess water as usually before applying a conditioner. Then apply your favourite condish. I did it with a rinse out one. Apply it, and now the story begins. Before wrapping your hair in a towel, shower cap, whatever, take your time and press the conditioner into your hair by simply taking strands of your hair between your palms and sliding your palms down towards the ends. (I’m sure there was a better word that I could use instead of “sliding” but I’ve got a vocabulary gap here:D ) Change a strand. And again. And go back to the first section of hair. Sections may be of course random and as thick or thin as you wish. When your hair gets clumped in too big strands, comb it through with your fingers. Really, the division can be random and messy, unless you want the sections to be equal etc. but it doesn’t influence the effect.
Take your time. Five minutes, let’s say, but literally count to 300. Let it be a moment when you are not thinking about anything particular, like during brushing your teeth;) After five minutes you should feel that there’s less conditioner on your hair- yes, it soaked! Way more effectively that it would if you leave it alone;) Such pressing it in helps, it’s like with a face cream. It will stay on your skin if you just apply it, but if you massage it in- it will soak.
Now you may add more conditioner and slide your hair between your palms a while longer (the longer the better I think;) ) or you may wrap your hair in a towel or… I think you may rinse it as well if you don’t have time. I haven’t tried this option but anyway, five minutes of pressing a condish in should give you better effects than just keeping it on your hair. I recommend letting it stay under a towel or a shower cap for 10-20 minutes, though.

Let me know how it works;) And if something is not clear (all in all my English is sleeping, it’s morning there) don’t hesitate to contact me. As a LHC addict I am there almost everyday ;)

I'm curious- maybe it works with oils too?

maria_asa
March 16th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Interesting, I will try this when I deep condition this weekend.

Xandergrammy
March 16th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I'm definitely going to try this on Sunday (wash day). And I think your English is wonderful. I know not one word of Polish. :flowers:

Henrietta
March 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I'm definitely going to try this on Sunday (wash day). And I think your English is wonderful. I know not one word of Polish. :flowers:

Thank you! :flowers: I bet you know some words in Polish but you are not aware of it:D Radio, stop, computer... :D

CastaDiva
March 16th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the tips, this sounds really interesting:) My hair needs all the "moisture assistance" it can get so I`m definately gonna try this tomorrow:) And I agree with Xandergrammy, your English is wonderful, I understood every word if it:)

Phexlyn
March 16th, 2011, 07:25 AM
That sounds interesting. I'll try this instead of using conditioner in the shower next time, as conditioning twice might be too much for my fine hair.

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 07:37 AM
It's drying now :D I used a mix of a Loreal deep conditoner and my usual Aussie 3MM. I pressed it in for a count of 250 then added a big glob of just 3MM to the ends and worked it in for another 100s. It seemed very smooth in the shower.

I lost a bit more hair than usual, but I think when I brush it later I'll lose less. It's swings and roundabouts with that kind of thing.

Does it take you a lot more conditioner than normal? My hair was quite dry after cassia followed by CO at my last wash,so that may have been it.

The only Polish I know is Polski Sklep. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head! :lol:

Henrietta
March 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
It's drying now :D I used a mix of a Loreal deep conditoner and my usual Aussie 3MM. I pressed it in for a count of 250 then added a big glob of just 3MM to the ends and worked it in for another 100s. It seemed very smooth in the shower.

I lost a bit more hair than usual, but I think when I brush it later I'll lose less. It's swings and roundabouts with that kind of thing.

Does it take you a lot more conditioner than normal? My hair was quite dry after cassia followed by CO at my last wash,so that may have been it.

The only Polish I know is Polski Sklep. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head! :lol:
Polski Sklep :cheese:

I didn't use more conditioner than usually. Ok, maybe 3 teaspoons more for ends before I wrapped my head in a towel ;)

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Polski Sklep :cheese:

I didn't use more conditioner than usually. Ok, maybe 3 teaspoons more for ends before I wrapped my head in a towel ;)

I probably used twice as much as normal, but like I said my hair was drier than normal. I think it may have been me, not the method! I should be able to tell better when I wash it next, if this works now to put all that moisture back in!

Come to think of it, I probably know a lot of fruit names in Polish if prompted because I used to buy a lot of juices from the aforementioned skelp...

Henrietta
March 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Jabłko? Pomarańcza? Cytryna? :D:D:D (it's an apple, an orange, a lemon ) :D Sounds familiar ?;)

krissykins
March 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Henrietta, your English is very easy to understand! I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm going to try this before I go shopping today but I'll let you know how my hair turned out :D

dmitri
March 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
"300 seconds" makes me think of Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy), because that's how long you had to complete a level. :P I tend to let my conditioner soak anyway, because I put it in before I clean my body. But... I don't know how long because I've never timed it. I doubt it takes me 5 minutes. I'll have to try it.

enfys
March 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Jabłko? Pomarańcza? Cytryna? :D:D:D (it's an apple, an orange, a lemon ) :D Sounds familiar ?;)

Fetch me a glass! I could identify them without a picture on the front of the carton :lol: That's probably where it ends though. No posts from me are likely on a Polish hair forum. Maybe a friut salad forum one day...

My hair as dried so darn soft and slippery I have no idea how I will wear it up tonight! It feels great; I think I can even skip oil on the ends today, at least. Thank you for sharing this method. It seems quite obvious now but it never occured to me. The face cream analogy did it for me.

As I expected, there was little shedding as I brushed out so it wasn't the cause of any extra.

Avital88
March 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the tip! Im gonna try it too, my hair is always frizzy the first 4 hours after washing it

luxepiggy
March 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Interesting - I've always had a habit of detangling my hair with conditioner in, and then running my fingers down small sections to make sure all the tangles are out, so I guess I've been doing this inadvertently (^(oo)^)

allnaturalboy
March 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I've always done this too. I practically drench my hair in conditioner and de-tangle in the shower with the conditioner in. I think I'll try leaving it in for a bit longer now though.

skyblue
March 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
interesting I'll give this a try next wash thanks for sharing

Coan-Teen
March 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I, too, have always done something similar. I massage my conditioner in to all portions of my hair evenly, including separating and spreading, then let it sit while I finish my shower. Probably at least two or three minutes. I'll try it for the full five this weekend when I wash next and post my results.

Chamy
March 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Good tip, it makes sense. I might try this if i remember it next time i condition. :)

proo
March 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
This is why I love LHC - tips and tricks to tweak, since it's a constantly evolving thing.
Thanks Henrietta.

summerjade
March 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Thank you for sharing that conditioning tip with us!! It makes such good sense that pressing the condish into the hair would help it to saturate better and make it sink in. I will try this when I wash my hair tomorrow!!
Thank you again!!

x0h_bother
March 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM
This reminds me of a CG technique but I don't have the link...
ETA: Here it is: Smoothing http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Henrietta
March 22nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Thank you people for all positive reactions:) I hope this trick gives you noticeable effects. I have tried it today with oils. (EVOO+ coconut+castor+conditioner) I'll let you know how it works when I rinse it:)

teela1978
March 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
I condition similarly as well, smooth conditioner down the length, comb in, put up while other shower stuff is done, rinse out. Generally makes my hair nice :)

Amraann
March 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
I use Wen and the technique described is similar to what your suppose to do with WEN products.

I think it would work with any type of conditioner.

Aud200
March 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
After five minutes you should feel that thereís less conditioner on your hair- yes, it soaked! Way more effectively that it would if you leave it alone;) Such pressing it in helps, itís like with a face cream. It will stay on your skin if you just apply it, but if you massage it in- it will soak.

I tried this twice in the past week..the first time worked GREAT! The second, I don't think I left it in for long enough. SO true about the hair "soaking up" the conditioner, I never thought about that before. I'll keep tweaking and see if I can get good results more consistently, but thanks for the tip :)

aurorabridge
March 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I've tried this 3 times and am officially a fan. My post-shower hair was very soft and not as fluffy. Great suggestion!

LoversLullaby
March 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm going to try doing this my next wash (tomorrow) with a SMT then leaving it on for an hour. Thanks!!! :)

Henrietta
June 2nd, 2017, 01:54 PM
You know what guys, it's been six years and I still do it, every single time I use a DT/conditioner (which is every second wash=every 4 days). Throughout that time I didn't press the conditioner in a few times, just to see what happens. And the effects were much worse every time. My hair wasn't as smooth (visually) or as silky (to touch).

The only thing that I changed though is I use 15-20 strokes instead of 50, because I can't keep DTs/conditioners on for as long as it takes to do 50. My hair has gotten healthier and it doesn't like so much conditioning now.

Dendra
June 2nd, 2017, 02:05 PM
I'm definitely going to try this next wash. Thanks Henrietta. Can I ask what you mean by 15-20 strokes - is that per section of hair?

Shepherdess
June 2nd, 2017, 02:20 PM
You know what guys, it's been six years and I still do it, every single time I use a DT/conditioner (which is every second wash=every 4 days). Throughout that time I didn't press the conditioner in a few times, just to see what happens. And the effects were much worse every time. My hair wasn't as smooth (visually) or as silky (to touch).

The only thing that I changed though is I use 15-20 strokes instead of 50, because I can't keep DTs/conditioners on for as long as it takes to do 50. My hair has gotten healthier and it doesn't like so much conditioning now.

Thank you for bumping up this old thread and all the information! I do something similar with WCC, but I don't do it for very long at all. I will have to try this. :)

Henrietta
June 2nd, 2017, 02:25 PM
You're welcome! :) I've been browsing through my thread subscriptions and I noticed this. I realised I'm still doing it and now I am even surer that it gives me splendid results.

I'm definitely going to try this next wash. Thanks Henrietta. Can I ask what you mean by 15-20 strokes - is that per section of hair?

Per half :) I divide my hair into two sections when I do this.

Kat
June 3rd, 2017, 04:01 AM
I do this as well-- with conditioner, also with henna. To make sure it reaches all the strands.

However, I don't stroke down... just gently squeeze. If I stroke downward, I find it sort of "wrings out" my hair, and the conditioner with it. (If I wrung a lot of the water out of my hair before applying the conditioner, this might not happen so much, but still, I feel like I would stroke the conditioner right out. It's also why I don't comb the conditioner through; I've tried it and feel the conditioner dripping off the ends.)

parkmikii
June 3rd, 2017, 04:07 AM
Thank you for bumping it! I'll try this as well after hennaing today :)

pandabarrier
June 3rd, 2017, 12:44 PM
Hi Henrietta, I do something similar, by pressing the conditioner with my fingers, running to the ends. When I'm more patient I comb pencil-thick detangled sections of my hair too (then I'm somewhat relieved I don't have ultra-thick hair otherwise it would take forever). I think that helps spread the conditioner more evenly and I noticed when I don't do that my hair tangles easily.

Henrietta
June 3rd, 2017, 01:30 PM
Yes! The even distribution and, I think, also heat from our palms helps. And the fact that we comb through our hair so much with conditioner. Mine is completely tangle free after I take down my T-shirt turban.

upnorthmama
June 3rd, 2017, 02:36 PM
I've copied this from my article, for those of you who do not visit articles section :P

This trick really works, at least for me, and I bet it works for everyone. My hair was silky after that, though itís not 1a. And before this simple invention I used to have a problem with frizzy haystack for a few hours after washing. Now my hair dries smooth at once.

All you need to have is your hands and a conditioner;) Oh, and 5 minutes of free time after washing.
So, having washed and rinsed your hair, remove the excess water as usually before applying a conditioner. Then apply your favourite condish. I did it with a rinse out one. Apply it, and now the story begins. Before wrapping your hair in a towel, shower cap, whatever, take your time and press the conditioner into your hair by simply taking strands of your hair between your palms and sliding your palms down towards the ends. (Iím sure there was a better word that I could use instead of ďslidingĒ but Iíve got a vocabulary gap here:D ) Change a strand. And again. And go back to the first section of hair. Sections may be of course random and as thick or thin as you wish. When your hair gets clumped in too big strands, comb it through with your fingers. Really, the division can be random and messy, unless you want the sections to be equal etc. but it doesnít influence the effect.
Take your time. Five minutes, letís say, but literally count to 300. Let it be a moment when you are not thinking about anything particular, like during brushing your teeth;) After five minutes you should feel that thereís less conditioner on your hair- yes, it soaked! Way more effectively that it would if you leave it alone;) Such pressing it in helps, itís like with a face cream. It will stay on your skin if you just apply it, but if you massage it in- it will soak.
Now you may add more conditioner and slide your hair between your palms a while longer (the longer the better I think;) ) or you may wrap your hair in a towel orÖ I think you may rinse it as well if you donít have time. I havenít tried this option but anyway, five minutes of pressing a condish in should give you better effects than just keeping it on your hair. I recommend letting it stay under a towel or a shower cap for 10-20 minutes, though.

Let me know how it works;) And if something is not clear (all in all my English is sleeping, itís morning there) donít hesitate to contact me. As a LHC addict I am there almost everyday ;)

This sounds interesting! Henrietta, I just want to make sure I'm understanding the technique correctly. So if you don't rinse the conditioner out in the shower, and put it in the towel or cap for 10-20 minutes, do you just let it air dry once you take off the towel? Or do you rinse it out after the 20 minutes? Sorry, I'm a newbie and still figuring things out!

gthlvrmx
June 3rd, 2017, 03:57 PM
Seems interesting, I will try it and share!

Cherriezzzzz
June 3rd, 2017, 08:55 PM

This trick really works, at least for me, and I bet it works for everyone. My hair was silky after that, though itís not 1a. And before this simple invention I used to have a problem with frizzy haystack for a few hours after washing. Now my hair dries smooth at once.

So, having washed and rinsed your hair, remove the excess water as usually before applying a conditioner. Then apply your favourite condish. I did it with a rinse out one. Apply it, and now the story begins. Before wrapping your hair in a towel, shower cap, whatever, take your time and press the conditioner into your hair by simply taking strands of your hair between your palms and sliding your palms down towards the ends. (Iím sure there was a better word that I could use instead of ďslidingĒ but Iíve got a vocabulary gap here:D ) Change a strand. And again. And go back to the first section of hair. Sections may be of course random and as thick or thin as you wish. When your hair gets clumped in too big strands, comb it through with your fingers. Really, the division can be random and messy, unless you want the sections to be equal etc. but it doesnít influence the effect.
Take your time. Five minutes, letís say, but literally count to 300. Let it be a moment when you are not thinking about anything particular, like during brushing your teeth;) After five minutes you should feel that thereís less conditioner on your hair- yes, it soaked! Way more effectively that it would if you leave it alone;) Such pressing it in helps, itís like with a face cream. It will stay on your skin if you just apply it, but if you massage it in- it will soak.
Now you may add more conditioner and slide your hair between your palms a while longer (the longer the better I think;) ) or you may wrap your hair in a towel orÖ I think you may rinse it as well if you donít have time. I havenít tried this option but anyway, five minutes of pressing a condish in should give you better effects than just keeping it on your hair. I recommend letting it stay under a towel or a shower cap for 10-20 minutes, though.

Let me know how it works;) And if something is not clear (all in all my English is sleeping, itís morning there) donít hesitate to contact me. As a LHC addict I am there almost everyday ;)

Tiny bit hijack to your thread but being a newbie, daily LHC is "an addict?!" I'm guilty! Mwuahaha!

Anyhow, I know this method has validity, but I wonder if it is bc ur keeping ur hair warmer, not physically "smooshing" the conditioner in? Ever notice how freezing cold your hair ends feel while you let the conditioner sit? Just a thought... I think it's the hand heat that allows the conditioner to soak in more :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 3rd, 2017, 11:48 PM
I've actually been doing this on and off for the last month and I see a slight difference. My hair is always pretty tangled though. Lol.

Henrietta
June 4th, 2017, 07:24 AM
This sounds interesting! Henrietta, I just want to make sure I'm understanding the technique correctly. So if you don't rinse the conditioner out in the shower, and put it in the towel or cap for 10-20 minutes, do you just let it air dry once you take off the towel? Or do you rinse it out after the 20 minutes? Sorry, I'm a newbie and still figuring things out!

In the past, I'd press it in, then put on a cap and a towel, then take the stuff down, rinse the conditioner out, let my hair dry.
Now, I just press the product in, rinse it immediately, let my hair dry. I skip the warm compress part, because my hair doesn't need it anymore.

But in any case, I rinse the product away. Even with pressing, there's too much of it left to be invisible after drying :)
No need to be sorry :) I'm ready to clarify all details, especially since I wrote the post years ago. Does it answer your question? :)

Tiny bit hijack to your thread but being a newbie, daily LHC is "an addict?!" I'm guilty! Mwuahaha!

Anyhow, I know this method has validity, but I wonder if it is bc ur keeping ur hair warmer, not physically "smooshing" the conditioner in? Ever notice how freezing cold your hair ends feel while you let the conditioner sit? Just a thought... I think it's the hand heat that allows the conditioner to soak in more :)

Both, I believe. The pressing, which smooths hair down, and the warmth. I did notice! Oh my goodness, the half that was done first gets ice cold by the time I finish the second one. And it's soooo cold when it touches my neck :D

upnorthmama
June 4th, 2017, 09:04 AM
In the past, I'd press it in, then put on a cap and a towel, then take the stuff down, rinse the conditioner out, let my hair dry.
Now, I just press the product in, rinse it immediately, let my hair dry. I skip the warm compress part, because my hair doesn't need it anymore.

But in any case, I rinse the product away. Even with pressing, there's too much of it left to be invisible after drying :)
No need to be sorry :) I'm ready to clarify all details, especially since I wrote the post years ago. Does it answer your question? :)

It does! Thank you for clarifying. I will try this next time I wash!

Henrietta
June 4th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I hope it makes a positive difference! :)

likelikepenny
June 4th, 2017, 03:45 PM
So I tried this today, being very skeptical that it would make any difference. I always rake through my conditioner and let it sit for five minutes to soak in. How could smoothing it in be any different?

I was completely wrong, and pleasantly so. I have low porosity hair so it's really hard to get my conditioners to absorb, even when I dilute them. Lately I've been noticing that when I smooth products in, my hair reacts better by absorbing them and I also get less frizz. This method is now my go to for conditioning my hair. I've never had my hair absorb so much conditioner in such a short amount of time and to be so soft and moisturized.

Thank you so much Henrietta!

Suze
June 4th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I will try this too! I always stroke my hair for a while when I put in conditioner but that is just because I like the feeling! :p

likelikepenny
June 4th, 2017, 05:48 PM
I will try this too! I always stroke my hair for a while when I put in conditioner but that is just because I like the feeling! :p

I love watching my curls bounce up with this method :bigtongue:

parkmikii
June 5th, 2017, 03:08 AM
Tried it too and my hair feels a bit softer afterwards and more manageable :D
Thank you!

Henrietta
June 5th, 2017, 03:48 AM
You're welcome! I'm soooo happy it helps! :) :) :)

Cherriezzzzz
June 6th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Ok wow, this worked for me! Thanks!!!:agape:

gthlvrmx
June 6th, 2017, 07:57 PM
I tried it, and again with baby oil after washing, and the results are that my hair came out softer and sleeker. The minor thing I am not fully content about is that on the end of one strand, it feels dry and prickly. My ends overall feel slightly drier than my roots, but my roots feels amazing. Better than an SMT and I didn't even add the honey or aloe vera gel yet, I use the Suave naturals aloe vera conditioner!

Lady Katherine
June 6th, 2017, 09:00 PM
I tried this with my deep treatment yesterday and it made such a difference! Thanks for bumping this thread!!!

meteor
June 7th, 2017, 05:32 PM
I've been doing this for years and I do notice a big positive difference - you get more out of your conditioner this way. Lots of hair masks/treatments actually recommend massaging them into hair. That squishing, massaging conditioner into strands motion is really helpful for better conditioning since I think it helps saturate the strands and spread the product around better. I think this may be particularly useful for thicker hair, because it takes thicker hair more time to get fully saturated, even with water, let alone thick products. The only big downside is that it means staying wet in the shower for much longer and I'm way too lazy, so I often skimp on that, especially when I feel like my hair doesn't need that much conditioning.

likelikepenny
June 7th, 2017, 05:45 PM
I've been doing this for years and I do notice a big positive difference - you get more out of your conditioner this way. Lots of hair masks/treatments actually recommend massaging them into hair. That squishing, massaging conditioner into strands motion is really helpful for better conditioning since I think it helps saturate the strands and spread the product around better. I think this may be particularly useful for thicker hair, because it takes thicker hair more time to get fully saturated, even with water, let alone thick products. The only big downside is that it means staying wet in the shower for much longer and I'm way too lazy, so I often skimp on that, especially when I feel like my hair doesn't need that much conditioning.

I usually just dilute my conditioners and deep treatments because my hair doesn't seem to absorb them well. :shrug:

meteor
June 7th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I usually just dilute my conditioners and deep treatments because my hair doesn't seem to absorb them well. :shrug:

Yes, I also have to dilute conditioners, and also shampoo - to make it runnier to help it reach all scalp better faster. I also dilute thicker conditioners with water and dunk my hair into a bowl with conditioner + water sometimes, which really helps saturate the strands, but particularly massaging it in has been really helpful, though it always means more work and more time spent in the shower. Also, when I get conditioner to thoroughly emulsify (when it gets really sudsy) before finally rinsing it off, I notice I do get more conditioned (softer, more slippery) hair as a result.

likelikepenny
June 7th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Yes, I also have to dilute conditioners, and also shampoo - to make it runnier to help it reach all scalp better faster. I also dilute thicker conditioners with water and dunk my hair into a bowl with conditioner + water sometimes, which really helps saturate the strands, but particularly massaging it in has been really helpful, though it always means more work and more time spent in the shower. Also, when I get conditioner to thoroughly emulsify (when it gets really sudsy) before finally rinsing it off, I notice I do get more conditioned (softer, more slippery) hair as a result.

I'm the same way. My conditioner is so watery now that I put it in a spray bottle and dilute it three to one. I feel as if the massaging not only helps it absorb but also helps lay down the cuticle. I don't know if theres any science behind that though.

MsPharaohMoan
June 8th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Is this technique very different from squish-to-condish?

Suze
June 8th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Henrietta, I just want to give you a big hug for introducing me to this method. It works! I love it. My hair is really, really, really soft!! I will try it with an SMT receipe next time, that would be perfect because my scalp does not
ike conditioner at all.

meteor
June 8th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Is this technique very different from squish-to-condish?

Squish-to-condish involves scrunching and squishing curls up with conditioner, while this approach is more about smoothing conditioner down over strands, while both approaches are massaging conditioner in.
The scrunching action in S2C can help define and clump curls or waves a bit, while this approach would be more smoothing. I certainly get wavier hair with S2C, even if I rinse hair for a long while after, I think scrunching action is what does that. But with this approach, my hair looks straighter (I have highly suggestible waves, that are easy both to encourage and to eliminate with handling).
But I think both approaches are similar in terms of added moisture, since you are thoroughly working conditioner into strands, really massaging it in.

MsPharaohMoan
June 8th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Squish-to-condish involves scrunching and squishing curls up with conditioner, while this approach is more about smoothing conditioner down over strands, while both approaches are massaging conditioner in.
The scrunching action in S2C can help define and clump curls or waves a bit, while this approach would be more smoothing. I certainly get wavier hair with S2C, even if I rinse hair for a long while after, I think scrunching action is what does that. But with this approach, my hair looks straighter (I have highly suggestible waves, that are easy both to encourage and to eliminate with handling).
But I think both approaches are similar in terms of added moisture, since you are thoroughly working conditioner into strands, really massaging it in.

Fascinating! I'm going to try experimenting with both of them and seeing whether it affects my own texture.

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
June 9th, 2017, 12:21 AM

This trick really works, at least for me, and I bet it works for everyone. My hair was silky after that, though it’s not 1a. And before this simple invention I used to have a problem with frizzy haystack for a few hours after washing. Now my hair dries smooth at once.

So, having washed and rinsed your hair, remove the excess water as usually before applying a conditioner. Then apply your favourite condish. I did it with a rinse out one. Apply it, and now the story begins. Before wrapping your hair in a towel, shower cap, whatever, take your time and press the conditioner into your hair by simply taking strands of your hair between your palms and sliding your palms down towards the ends. (I’m sure there was a better word that I could use instead of “sliding” but I’ve got a vocabulary gap here:D ) Change a strand. And again. And go back to the first section of hair. Sections may be of course random and as thick or thin as you wish. When your hair gets clumped in too big strands, comb it through with your fingers. Really, the division can be random and messy, unless you want the sections to be equal etc. but it doesn’t influence the effect.
Take your time. Five minutes, let’s say, but literally count to 300. Let it be a moment when you are not thinking about anything particular, like during brushing your teeth;) After five minutes you should feel that there’s less conditioner on your hair- yes, it soaked! Way more effectively that it would if you leave it alone;) Such pressing it in helps, it’s like with a face cream. It will stay on your skin if you just apply it, but if you massage it in- it will soak.
Now you may add more conditioner and slide your hair between your palms a while longer (the longer the better I think;) ) or you may wrap your hair in a towel or… I think you may rinse it as well if you don’t have time. I haven’t tried this option but anyway, five minutes of pressing a condish in should give you better effects than just keeping it on your hair. I recommend letting it stay under a towel or a shower cap for 10-20 minutes, though.

Let me know how it works;) And if something is not clear (all in all my English is sleeping, it’s morning there) don’t hesitate to contact me. As a LHC addict I am there almost everyday ;)

Thank you for sharing

This is how I condition my curls hair and never get tangles except with a bit of difference.

After I have washed and rinsed out my ACV.
I apply my normal conditioner. I squish it through. Then using my thumb and fingers working from top to bottom taking a clump at a time, I slide my fingers down the clumps using both hands but working with my fingers. One hand in front of the other gliding down then starting from back up again. It tends to smooth out any bumps in the clumps which could lead to tangles. Sometimes a clump might need more strokes than others. I do this throughout my head and don't rinse out.

If this is a method then it is great for curly hair. As I never comb or brush before I wash my hair and don't experience any type of tangles mess after wash.

Kat-RinnŤ Naido
June 9th, 2017, 12:36 AM

Hi meteor
With this method curlies hair can still bring out the curls but it takes a bit of time. As I glide my fingers and thumb down the strands the curls loosen and become straight I continue maybe three more strokes and get beautiful defined curls. It can also be used to make more curls with less clumps. Meaning a clump can be divided either in half or a third.

Robi-Bird
June 9th, 2017, 01:33 AM
I tried thos this evening and it gave me massive volume. More than is necessarily flattering. Having said that my hair feels less grabby or tangly and my waves really came out so I'll have to experiment more.

Henrietta
June 14th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Henrietta, I just want to give you a big hug for introducing me to this method. It works! I love it. My hair is really, really, really soft!! I will try it with an SMT receipe next time, that would be perfect because my scalp does not
ike conditioner at all.

I love hugs!! :cheer::crush::grouphug:

Dendra
June 14th, 2017, 03:04 AM
Well you can have some more hugs Henrietta because the method worked for me too! It's amazing how much more the conditioner soaks in.

I have a question though - instead of smoothing all the way down the length with my palms, I pressed the conditioner in in maybe four separate 'presses' on each clump of hair. I didn't miss any of the length. I prefer the way this feels. Do you think I'd still get the same results this way?

Henrietta
June 14th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Well you can have some more hugs Henrietta because the method worked for me too! It's amazing how much more the conditioner soaks in.

I have a question though - instead of smoothing all the way down the length with my palms, I pressed the conditioner in in maybe four separate 'presses' on each clump of hair. I didn't miss any of the length. I prefer the way this feels. Do you think I'd still get the same results this way?

Lovely! More hugs! :) :)

I think you may still get the same results. Check it when you are in the mood for a small experiment. In the past I needed those 50 strokes per half, now I need 15. And it still works. It's enough "presses" for the conditioner to soak, and for my hair to become smoother, and it's also enough time to warm up the product and the strands.

Dendra
June 14th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Oh, haha I phrased that really badly! What I meant was I press the conditioner in three or four times per section, but then I repeat that loads of times, whilst counting to 300. Sorry I left that part out of my first message! Doh.

I was just wondering, because I do three or four separate 'presses' rather than one smooth sliding motion down the hair strands, if I would get the same results.

beneaththetrees
June 15th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Ooh, I'm excited to try this! Thanks for sharing an update.

Suze
June 15th, 2017, 03:42 PM
I love hugs!! :cheer::crush::grouphug:

Yay! :crush::heartbeat:grouphug:

It eorks well with SMT's too! :cheer:

abribun
June 16th, 2017, 07:14 AM
This is interesting, today is my wash day so I'm definitely going to try this out!

triumphator!
June 16th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I kind of do this... I put my length over one shoulder when it has conditioner in it and run my fingers through it a lot to get the sheds to come loose into my hand... instead of the tub drain :p

I wonder if this is relatively the same idea.

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I kind of do this... I put my length over one shoulder when it has conditioner in it and run my fingers through it a lot to get the sheds to come loose into my hand... instead of the tub drain :p

I wonder if this is relatively the same idea.

Not really. I usually do the same thing you do, but adding the extra smoothing step takes it to a whole new level.

Arctic
June 16th, 2017, 10:03 AM
I do something similar. I started after last summer's experiments with squish to condish, which my hair liked but it increased my air drying time too much, so I gave that technique up after few tries. But since then I have started to squeeze in my conditioner. I do it in small presses or pumps - not upwards nor in cupping motion like S2C, but in a downwards, smoothing fashion. One small pressing motion after another, each a bit lower than the previous. I do this several times from up towards my ends. I don't really glide down my hands though, but I think the results are very close to the same as with this method.

gthlvrmx
June 16th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Oh my god! I did an SMT and tried the 300 second trick and the moisture treatment finally did what I wanted it to do. Silky hair! When I let my hair fall naturally over my hands, it doesn't feel crackly and dry and prickly, it feels smooth and silky! It feels just like when I used to get a fresh hair cut or trim at a hair dresser/salon place. Perfect! Thank you guys! Super soft silky hair is mine!

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I think this is an interesting concept - TFS! I will try it on Tuesday, which will be my next wash day.

Kitty-Zen
June 17th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Had some excess jbco in my hair after showering tonight and trying this now. Will share results in the morning !

Kitty-Zen
June 17th, 2017, 09:56 PM
I do something similar. I started after last summer's experiments with squish to condish, which my hair liked but it increased my air drying time too much, so I gave that technique up after few tries. But since then I have started to squeeze in my conditioner. I do it in small presses or pumps - not upwards nor in cupping motion like S2C, but in a downwards, smoothing fashion. One small pressing motion after another, each a bit lower than the previous. I do this several times from up towards my ends. I don't really glide down my hands though, but I think the results are very close to the same as with this method.
This (press instead of glide) is what I'm trying as well, I noticed some breakage around ear length on my outermost layer, probably from ponytails , so I added a bit of oil to the ends there too, pressing makes most sense. It's also drying/ absorbing really quickly!

mistythebandit
June 24th, 2017, 04:27 PM
I love leaving conditioner in for awhile. It always leaves my hair silky smooth.

pandabarrier
July 12th, 2017, 08:11 PM
I've been pressing my hair between my palms and sliding the palms down towards the ends when I rinse the conditioner too. It helps keep my hair lengths smoother in this hot humid weather.
Unfortunately I can't do that with my shorter new growth, because I don't apply conditioner near the roots. So I end up with a halo of frizzy shorter hairs standing up around my head, and silky smooth lengths! :laugh:

Liz H
July 26th, 2019, 10:06 PM
This post explains how more conditioner gets applied to the hair shaft. The info is equally applicable to this method as squish to condish. The photos are particularly interesting.

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/conditioning-technique-squish-to.html?m=1

AutobotsAttack
July 26th, 2019, 10:55 PM
This is either called squish to condish, or shingling as it’s known in the natural hair community

Henrietta
July 28th, 2019, 01:26 PM
This is either called squish to condish, or shingling as it’s known in the natural hair community

I didn't know that idea from any other source when I posted this thread originally those few years ago, but it's good to know now! :)

ManeGoal
August 2nd, 2019, 07:33 AM
This is a gold nugget! My hair feels soooo silky!! Pressing your conditioner in really makes a difference.

Silica
August 2nd, 2019, 09:32 AM
Interesting! I will have to try this next washday (if I can do it with hair as short as mine)

Liz H
August 2nd, 2019, 03:59 PM
I did this with both conditioners. Really nice hair!

ManeGoal
August 3rd, 2019, 12:31 PM
I don't know how short you hair is, mine is just past my ears and it was awesome. I didn't do in sections though, I just put the conditioner in and kept pulling my hands over it like i was slicking my hair back and did that for the 300 seconds.

ManeGoal
August 3rd, 2019, 12:33 PM
Interesting! I will have to try this next washday (if I can do it with hair as short as mine)
Oops, sorry meant to reply with quote ^

WildPonyTail
August 4th, 2019, 09:54 PM
That;s exactly how I do it too.

Liz H
August 5th, 2019, 01:38 AM
The one drawback is that I can smell the conditioner on my hair for the following week.

NicoleJean
August 5th, 2019, 02:35 AM
Well I leave my conditioner in for about 2 hours. Iím browsing this forum as Iím waiting to rinse it out right now. So Iím going to try this right now. Iíll report back tomorrow if I notice any difference.

CathelinaNicole
August 8th, 2019, 09:23 PM
I'm going to try this for sure. I put conditioner on my dry hair before i get into the shower because my theory is that the hair will absorb more conditioner than water and this will help with retaining moisture. Then i shampoo, rinse both the shampoo and conditioner, add more conditioner to finger comb and then add a little more conditioner to let sit in my hair while i do the rest of my shower routine and this really leaves me with very soft hair. I also always oil my hair either an hour before i shower or i leave it in over night before i shower. I'm curious to see if i use your application technique to apply the conditioner i let sit in my hair while i do the rest of my shower, if it'll make my hair even more soft. Very cool find!

Henrietta
August 9th, 2019, 01:17 PM
The one drawback is that I can smell the conditioner on my hair for the following week.

I actually wish it worked for me like this sometimes. My hair doesn't retain the scent of products at all, no matter what I do.

gin
August 9th, 2019, 01:46 PM
OK, tomorrow is wash day and I'm going to try this. Hope I can do it, I'm super impatient! I'm going to have to set a timer and try to meditate or something. :)

littlestarface
August 9th, 2019, 01:48 PM
OK, tomorrow is wash day and I'm going to try this. Hope I can do it, I'm super impatient! I'm going to have to set a timer and try to meditate or something. :)

I shave and go real slow like with bar soap and then a loofah sponge but I end up taking longer than 300 seconds lol.

NeonPink
August 9th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Wanted to add my experience with this method.
Usually my hair doesn't really seem to soak up any of my hair masks, but yesterday I tried this method and after it I used a heat cap and left it on for an hour (my usual wait time for hair masks). When I removed the heat cap it felt like most of the mask had soaked into my hair, and it still feels very soft today which doesn't usually happen as I have mostly coarse hair. So I think it has been a success :)

Liz H
August 10th, 2019, 01:56 AM
I didn't do my pre poo oiling, and still have marvelously soft hair. The ends don't even need oil. I also used less conditioner this time, so don't have the scent in my hair.

NicoleJean
August 14th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Sorry Iím late to check back in. I tried this a few times now and squished for a whole 30 mins each time with deep conditioner. Honestly I didnít notice any difference compared to when I donít squish the conditioner in. I still find a really good hair oil applied to dry hair daily helps the most to prevent tangles and keep the ends looking and feeling less dry.

NicoleJean
August 14th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Wanted to add my experience with this method.
Usually my hair doesn't really seem to soak up any of my hair masks, but yesterday I tried this method and after it I used a heat cap and left it on for an hour (my usual wait time for hair masks). When I removed the heat cap it felt like most of the mask had soaked into my hair, and it still feels very soft today which doesn't usually happen as I have mostly coarse hair. So I think it has been a success :)

I need to try a heat cap. I never have but have been wanting to. Any recommendations?

littlestarface
August 14th, 2019, 12:46 PM
I need to try a heat cap. I never have but have been wanting to. Any recommendations?

Get the mastex heat cap you will love it. I only need a good 15mins of it.