PDA

View Full Version : What is the #1 lesson you have learned in LHC

CurlyCyndi
March 16th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Water is my friend... I knew that drinking water was important to healthy hair... But I didnt know that spraying hair one of the best ways to keeping curly hair hydrating... Go figure sounds so simple but I have no clue...

GrowingGlory
March 16th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Sebum is my hair's best friend. And my MP Large Extra BBB is its next best friend. NightBlooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil and Panaceas are its next best friends.

Aleria
March 16th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Everyone's hair is different, and needs different treatment.
CO rocks for my hair.
Rag curls are prettier than curls with curling irons.

LILBERT
March 16th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Hairtoys are a glorious thing! :p

skyblue
March 16th, 2011, 03:08 AM
that using oil is GOOD for your hair....that one shocked me but oh so true ;)

pepperminttea
March 16th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Letting my hair get oily is good for it; it's not just my scalp trying to annoy me. :p

rena
March 16th, 2011, 03:40 AM
2 words: Leave-ins!!!

Neneka
March 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
There is so many things that has made a difference. I have learned about SLS and now I use poo bars and vinegar. I have found jojoba oil. But maybe the most important thing I have learned is that every hairtype or colour can be beautiful! :)

And hair sticks... Unfortunately my hair is short again and it will take at least two years until I can use my sticks again. :(

Dina L.
March 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Lesson one? To hate my long layers. :) They are only good for the hairdresser, as they need regular retouch = haircut = no long hair. :mad:

jackiesjottings
March 16th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I just love being able to talk hair without anyone sighing :)

NouvelleNymphe2
March 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Goodness there is so much that I have learned, I'm not quite sure if I can pick only one!? Can I just list a bunch of the best lessons?

1. Conditioning before I wash cuts down the shedding;
2. Gentle handling, especially when wet;
3. Oils on the tips;
4. SMTs and Avocado for deep conditioning;
5. Cones were making my hair look very dull, since going no cone my hair is lighter and fuller;
6. Fox's leave-in;
7. BBB and seamless quality combing tools DO make a difference;
8. Vinegar rinse instead of washing;
9. Wearing hair up most of the time keeps it protected;
10. Using popular/widely accepted methods for caring for and styling your hair will destroy your hair;
11. Henna gloss as opposed to full on henna treatments have been the subtle change I was looking for;
12. You grow by NOT trimming.

There is more, but I thought I would stop there. I know you only asked for one, but I'm a newbie and can't pick the most helpful yet. I used to be terrible to my hair, and I've learned so much. Thanks LHC members:flower:!

Dina L.
March 16th, 2011, 05:36 AM

:thumbsup:

CrisDee
March 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Ooh, where to begin?

1. Less heat = better hair - this is definitely #1 for me!
2. Tweaking my henna routine to add cassia and to do roots only;
3. Flexi8's ROCK! :cheese:
4. Hair wrapping - makes my hair look better than blow drying and flat ironing;
5. Oil is my friend :)

Vorvolaka
March 16th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Oil is a GOOD thing!

Fufu
March 16th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Camelia oil is heaven for fine hair :)

PeacenQuietGal
March 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Well number 1 would have to be CO washing using Cinnamon hair's method. That has been like a new dawn for my hair - and secondly, my Henna journey - leaving commercial hair dyes behind! :joy:

But, really I think NouvelleNymph2 says it best - speaking for us Noobs!
1. Conditioning before I wash cuts down the shedding;
2. Gentle handling, especially when wet;
3. Oils on the tips;
4. SMTs and Avocado for deep conditioning;
5. Cones were making my hair look very dull, since going no cone my hair is lighter and fuller;
6. Fox's leave-in;
7. BBB and seamless quality combing tools DO make a difference;
8. Vinegar rinse instead of washing;
9. Wearing hair up most of the time keeps it protected;
10. Using popular/widely accepted methods for caring for and styling your hair will destroy your hair;
11. Henna gloss as opposed to full on henna treatments have been the subtle change I was looking for;

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM
That I don't understand my hair's needs AT ALL! Or, on a more positive note, that it IS possible to have glossy long hair like in the adverts without Photoshop. :D

vamq
March 16th, 2011, 06:47 AM
That everyone's hair is beautiful in it's own way.

So mine is too, and I deserve to be proud because of how I take care of it:)

Missa
March 16th, 2011, 07:31 AM
That henna can stop my hair from turning into a pyramid of frizz and weigh it down beautifully.

That I can stretch out washing my hair to once a week with conditioner only and once every 2 weeks with shampoo (sulfate free)

Pre wash coconut oilings (total hair saturation) make my hair into silk

Coconut oil is better than silicone for making hair shiny and untangled.

Henna is better than any chemical colour or box dye.

There are likeminded people out there and that being part of a community whether online or in the area you live is possible and can be such a positive force in your life.

That's more than one but the last is #1

CarpeDM
March 16th, 2011, 07:42 AM
#1? It is all about experimentation and finding out what works best for you...

littlenvy
March 16th, 2011, 07:47 AM
#1 - Oil is your hair's best friend.
I used to be very afraid of any oil on my hair, now I know better :D

#1b - Everyone's hair is different. What works for one may totally not work for another. Each person has to find their own 'great' thing.

krissykins
March 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
CO.
Updos.
Wooden comb.

Seriously, during my benign neglect period away from LHC, all I did was CO my hair, wear buns all the time, and comb with my Body Shop wooden comb. All the new growth from that time is extremely healthy, so thanks for helping me with the basics, LHC :heartbeat

In2wishin
March 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Benign neglect is GOOD for my hair. The more I tried to do stuff to it, the worse it got.

Anje
March 16th, 2011, 09:57 AM
#1. Don't rip through hair when combing/brushing. Go slow, don't break stuff.

#2. I don't need shampoo to wash my hair and am usually better off without it.

Finoriel
March 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
#1 Updos, updos, updos! Millions of different styles for long hair :D
#2 A wide toothed comb actually works a lot better for me than a brush. For some reason I grew up thinking brushes are for long hair and combs are for short hair, so I just tried because I read so many good reports about it from other 1a-c hairtypes. And wow, what a difference!
#3 Wet hair is weaker/more stretchy than dry hair > Overstretching it is bad, not fun > Never attempt to detangle my wet hair. I'm just not patient enough to be properly careful with it when it's clumped together and wet. Once it's dry everything will be okay and not as tangled as expected anyways. It took a while until I convinced myself that it's okay for me to wait with untangling until it's dry and that nothing horrible will happen when I don't do it immediately. Now it sounds silly, but I was convinced that if I don't brush it after showering I'd never be able to get all the knots out later :o which is simply not the case for my hairtype.

dmitri
March 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
1. Everyone's hair is different, so don't be afraid to experiment.
2. The quality of your tools does count.

CurlyCyndi
March 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I loved reading everyone's post. I learned a lot. I am pretty new to this community so there is only so much I can read in a short time. This was very helpful :)

oktobergoud
March 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
That cones are NOT the devil and that everybody's here is so different. (I already knew about sls & cone free and co-washing and stuff before joining/reading LHC :))

Nightshade
March 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM
That what works for you will not produce the same results for someone else, and vice versa.

There is no One True Way when it comes to haircare.

Maddy25
March 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Using heat on my hair was a terrible cycle. I had to straighten my hair because it made my damaged hair look not as frizzy, but doing it made it worse....I learned if I wanted the hair I dream of, I had to just deal with the damage by either cutting it or growing it out and stop the heat styling.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 16th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Hahaha, that is SO true for me. I usually am met with either an eye roll or feigned interest. But not on the LHC :)

Kathie
March 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Products that really do leave my hair in great condition don’t have to be expensive and can often be found in the kitchen!

RitaPG
March 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Coconut oil :heartbeat: I didn't even knew it existed! And I had been using jojoba and EOs for years in massage routines, but never heard of using oil on hair before LHC. Best discovery ever!

christine1989
March 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My most important lesson was "heat is BAD!!" However, I knew that long before joining LHC. The most helpful thing I learned here is about hair oiling and protective updos.

skyblue
March 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM

:cheese:love this one!!

Othala
March 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Gentle handling.

Sweetie
March 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM
:cheese:love this one!!
extra quote!!!
and - how to do a crown braid ;)

moonlight
March 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Ooh, where to begin?
snip

3. Flexi8's ROCK! :cheese:

snip

I had to google these to see what they are....and bought one on the spot! What pretty little hair toys!

Can't wait to get mine in the mail! :)

Fingolphin
March 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
That heat styling is evil to hair. Used to blow-fry all the time.

Chamy
March 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Do with YOUR hair what feels best for YOU.

alwayssmiling
March 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM
If I could only choose one thing it would be clarifying. When all else fails I clarify and moisturise!

LoversLullaby
March 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I should do what works for MY hair, not what everyone else is doing. :)

Funwithsharps
March 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I learned that it is ok to not wash your hair every day. It has made a huge difference in my hair appearance.

ilovelonghair
March 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Being very careful with my hair and not ripping a comb trough it. Not using hair dye anymore. That my hair loves water and hates dryness. I still haven't figured out what to do with my dry ends: I kept on cutting so my hair wouldn't get longer, but the dry ends never stopped and should have been cut off by now (cutting my hair every 2 weeks for 3 years now, but I have stopped)

elbow chic
March 17th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Be careful the the dang hairbrush. That snapping and popping sound is your HAIR BREAKING OFF.

and

If you want long hair, then don't get haircuts.

(yeah, I am not the brightest bulb in ye olde box)

mrs_coffee
March 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
CWC - changed my hair completely

Mountaingrrl
March 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
#1 valuable lesson that hasn't been mentioned yet: When contemplating a change (e.g. haircut) wait two weeks before acting. Usually by that time I'll have solved the problem by clarifying or using a deep conditioning treatment or doing a new updo or something.

Dragon
March 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Be gentle when detangling.

MeganE
March 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I realized that I needed to braid at night, to stop the bad knots. :)

Runzel
March 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Be careful the the dang hairbrush. That snapping and popping sound is your HAIR BREAKING OFF.

This.

Before LHC I always used a brush, I felt a comb takes too much time. Heh, that' s because the brush was just breaking through the tangles.

IcarusBride
March 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Coconut Oil!

McFearless
March 17th, 2011, 06:38 PM

This. My family is sick of me:p

GrowingGlory
March 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Less is more. My hair loves my brush, and I think that once I've found a mild, certified organic hair wash, that will be all the love that it needs.

PeaceLoveHair
March 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM
That Coconut oil is my friend. That the hairdryer is NOT. And that I need to stop trimming unnecessarily if I want my hair to grow! Thanks LHC!

tigerhearted
March 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Argan oil *____*

lacefrost
March 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hair styles! Learned so many more since LHC! So many hairstyles that are beautiful and keep my hair in great shape>

Grejs
March 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I realized that I needed to braid at night, to stop the bad knots. :)

This basically! :)

wvgemini
March 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Lesson 1: I don't have to spend a load of money on "fancy" conditioners, shampoos, serums, etc. That's good! Plus, I have fun experimenting with different oils.
Lesson 2: Not spending money on the fancy hair treatments means I can spend more on the fun hair toys, lol.

Aveyronnaise
March 18th, 2011, 06:57 AM
The very biggest lesson that i have learned here has been to manage my expectations about how fast my hair will grow . Before I would get impatient and end up cutting because I would have unrealistic expectations about how long it would take.
Now I know I won't give up! I know it will take a while to get it where I want it.
The second thing is that I never knew how bad blowdrying is for my hair , it looks a lot better now and i've only been off of it since Oct.

Fairlight63
March 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I was braiding my hair at night but was having trouble with the braid getting in the way, hair coming out of the braid anyway at the neckline, and dry ends of hair & I also sleep on a silk pillowcase.
This week I changed to putting my hair into a silk sleep-cap & the difference is amazing on how much better my hair feels in the morning. It feels like it has been in a sauna or something, not near as dry, I also put a little oil on it before wrapping it up & putting on the cap. Also there is no more tangles at the neckline when I get up.
Think that this will be my new way to do my hair at night.

bunzfan
March 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
The biggest thing i learnt was" if you cut your hair every 6 weeks your never have long hair" i managed to go nearly 7 months without a trim and i didn't have any split ends in that time i went from barely APL to past BSL .

Copasetic
March 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
The best lesson I have learned so far is to accept my natural texture. I stopped wasting all that time flat ironing, and my hair looks way better for it.

akuamoonmaui
March 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM
That LHC is addicting.

krissykins
March 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM
That LHC is addicting.

Haha :p ain't it the truth.

spidermom
March 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
That people are offended by a wide variety of things that make no sense to me whatsoever, such as somebody touching their hair or giving opinions about their hair or standing too close or mispronouncing words.

akuamoonmaui
March 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
spidermom: You're good! Love that last one!

growing2shine
March 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
That not two heads of hair are alike, and I had to experiment to find out what works for me. :)

Lianna
March 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
That people will jump on a bandwagon very soon trying to achieve better or longer hair.

TheLuckyLurker
March 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM
That using high heat to straighten it so it "looks nice" has the opposite effect.

And, all those years I kept in a braid all the time didn't make me "weird" after all.

constantki
March 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
How to tie it up properly to protect it

curlymarcia
March 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM
The most important lessons (for me) are avoid heat styling and hair wash less frequent.

virgo75
March 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
The #1 lesson I have learned is to be true to my own hair. :D

I've tried every fad and every alternative means of haircare suggested and often touted as THE way to care for hair(avoid sulfates & cones, co wash only, all natural, etc). However, I found that all the ways and products that are supposed to be "bad" for hair are GREAT for my hair and scalp!

Lianna
March 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
The #1 lesson I have learned is to be true to my own hair. :D

I've tried every fad and every alternative means of haircare suggested and often touted as THE way to care for hair(avoid sulfates & cones, co wash only, all natural, etc). However, I found that all the ways and products that are supposed to be "bad" for hair are GREAT for my hair and scalp!

Same here, and I went on for months, I can honestly say I really tried! If I had to pick one thing, has to be my sulfate shampoo! :D I don't like when people generalize and say conventional products are bad...they could at least say "bad for me". *sigh*

LovingLongHair
March 18th, 2011, 08:22 PM
#1: That heat is the enemy! And also that oily hair problems aren't always a bad thing. :)

EbonyCurls
March 18th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Treat your hair like lace. It's weird, but I was always concerned about heat but before LHC didn't really consider mechanical abuse as damaging. Now I'm hyper aware of where my hair is and how I'm handling it.

alittle722
March 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
CO washing! Prior to LHC i had never heard of it! :blushing:

ElusiveMuse
March 18th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Oil, oil, oil! Also ACV rinses and herbal care.

Most important, to do what works for YOU.

MoonlightShadow
March 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
1) leaving my hair alone :)
2) not to comb or brush so much:)
3) leaving hair in a bun:):D

Kalypso
March 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
oiling hair, and treat it like antique lace! I wish I had known this twenty years ago!

dawnss
March 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have learned that, I can benefit from a good oiling with jojoba oil but I just have to improvise since I do not usually use a brush for my hair (unless it is my denman).
I have learned that oiling my hair does really help!
I have learned that natural products do help my hair, but I do need cones to help me detangle.
I have learned that I can protective styles for short hair.

miss_purple
March 21st, 2011, 11:50 PM
Finger combing.
Thank you LHC! :flowers:

Malibu Barbie
March 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
To be gentle with my hair and hair toys are fun!!

Mesmerise
March 22nd, 2011, 02:19 AM
Hmm it's hard to pick just one thing...

I guess... that updos protect your hair (never really thought of leaving hair loose as damaging before!!!).

That there are ways I can trim my own hair so that I don't have to rely on going to a salon and risking a bad cut! (Nope, I'm not accusing all stylists of doing this, as I've had some great cuts...but I also hate spending $25 for a 5 minute trim).

That patinence really IS a virtue (at least when it comes to hair). Well, yeah... I knew the last one...but I'm being more motivated to be patient now than I was in the past! Although I'm not feeling patient...

Mrs. D
March 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
1. CWC, 2. Coconut oil and 3. ditch the funky poky old brush. And I have only been here less than a month! And not one person PM'd me on my 40th birthday to tell me that I was too old for long hair and it was time to cut it above my ears.

TheMechaGinger
March 23rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Coconut oil and wide toothed combs! And probably chilling out on how often I wash my hair. You know, now that I'm thinking about it I've really learned an awful lot from this place

gretchen_hair
March 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Nothing happens overnight, things take time. Patience is a Virtue.

Rivanariko
March 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Be gentle. Take care of it and it will grow.

This is pretty much the lesson behind everything I've learned here, from protective styling to stretching washes to finger combing to hair sticks... It's all about being kind and gentle to my hair, which, believe it or not, had never occurred to me before!

Juneii
March 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
silicone is the best detangler for my hair. I can't do without it!

Wanderer09
March 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
The most important thing I've learned from here is that everyone's hair is different, and no one product or method will work equally for all hair types.

Mrs. D
March 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
The most important thing I've learned from here is that everyone's hair is different, and no one product or method will work equally for all hair types.

So very true.

Intotouch
March 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
What protein build up is. I had no idea what was wrong with my hair or that it was even possible that it could feel silky. And i've only been looking for a couple of weeks! Wonderful forum!

telegraph64
March 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm a lurker and have lurked a couple other sites every once in a while and universally, what I've learned is that hair is not a piece of clothing or an accessory. It is a part of who I am, and treating it with respect, is what makes it work for me.

TheBluffs
March 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Baby, embrace that coconut oil.

Mesmerise
March 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
I actually responded to this thread before...but I was thinking about it and I've changed my answer.

I would say the NUMBER 1 most important thing I've learned isn't about hair care per se, but it's that everyone's hair is DIFFERENT!

At first I'd get discouraged because I'd try something that others raved about, and my hair would still look awful. Now I realize that it's just going to take a bit more experimentation and trial and error to find out what works for ME!

I think that's a valuable lesson for anyone who struggles with their hair and feels a bit down because their hair doesn't respond the way others does to different treatments etc. I am sure that eventually I WILL find out what works for my hair and it's thanks to the LHC forum!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I want to add to my other list because stretching out washes has really changed my hair condition for the BETTER! Currently I'm at once every 4th day, and I hope to stretch to once every 7 days by the end of this year :). So yeah, stretching washes!!

dollface
March 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
coconut oil....and CO washing right after that. my hair has improved greatly in condition and feel.

Debra83
March 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Henna won't harm.

ElvenArchess
March 28th, 2011, 11:21 PM
My hair isn't dry and frizzy-poofy by nature... It's been these darn store-made, alcohol-rich products I've used all along!

HintOfMint
March 28th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I have to pick just one??

Okay, I'll cheat: it's a toss up between learning about protein buildup and how humectants work. Without this site, I still wouldn't have figured out why those "fortifying" conditioners are making my hair so rough, and why that gel/serum is drying out my hair so badly no matter how much I put on.

Runner up: what buildup is and how it feels.

BittSweetCherry
March 29th, 2011, 05:53 AM
S&D regularly - weekly, monthly, whenever running fingers through your hair ends in serious snags more than once or twice. If it's feeling tangly, it means there's either enough damage to cause noticeable friction and tangling or there's build-up which needs addressing, but heading straight for a chelating shampoo will make things worse if you don't think of the simpler things first!

There's been tonnes of great advice and product suggestions that I've taken away from LHC but problem troubleshooting like the above was surprisingly not commonsense to me, nor is it the kind of thing a hairdresser will tell you.

Intotouch
April 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
That hair isn't naturally dry/frizzy/greasy/tangly/dull/breaking/flat etc etc! One month on here my hair feels completely different! Like hair! What we DO to our hair and put in it (as well as what we eat) dictates the condition of our hair (and twenty fabulous ways that i can effectively change this). For me this has been a total revelation! I accepted crappy quality hair for years because i just accepted that this was it's condition and no product i used solved it because i believed what turned out to be nonsense and half truths about hair care. Wow. My hair can feel like hair. Unbelievable.

(I have learnt twenty really useful things on this site but this is not the list the twenty things, it's just the one but thank you everyone for all your wisdom.)