PDA

View Full Version : Dry with nothing and greasy and weighed down with anything?!!

Luna12345
March 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been using coconut oil and my hair loves it however I can never stay more than a day without washing my hair because it starts to look greasy. I tried putting nothing in my hair and it was a messy frizz ball which was unmanageable....I don't know what to do anymore , it seems like I have no choice but to wash my hair daily:( ( I want to be able to skip a day because i hear it's damaging )
Does anyone here have a similar issue??? and what do you do?

krissykins
March 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Have you tried putting other products in your hair? Perhaps other oils?

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
For you, maybe slightly less amount of coconut oil only on your ends whenever you apply? Seems like your scalp is used to producing extra to accomodate for the ones that are stripped off when showering. Maybe try for now every other day and apply a tiny tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends on the day in between, maybe hide ur hair in an updo? It takes a few weeks for your scalp to regulate that, but trust me, it does :) I used to be exactly like you, two days after and my hair was limp, dull, and super greasy.

GrowingGlory
March 16th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Maybe you could try applying a smaller amount of oil to damp hair, or using a different oil, like jojoba oil, instead. Good luck!

braidedbelle
March 16th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Organix makes a product called "coconut milk" which is like coconut oil but it won't make your hair greasy as long as you only use a tiny bit. You put it in after you shower so you don't need to wash it out. I know the feeling...my hair gets greasy with most products but dry without them! Good luck!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 16th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I enjoy using oils on my hair, and if I use nothing it will frizz a bit as well. After I get out of the shower I pat dry my hair using a t-shirt. 5-10 minutes later I take off the t-shirt. Then I gently finger comb my wet hair into pieces. Then I pick the oil I want to use that day (kukui-heavy, avocado-light, camellia-light, coconut-light) and i stick my finer in the bottle until a little more than the tip is covered. I rub my palms together spreading the oil. Then I gently touch only the tips of my wet pieces of hair. I go over them a few times until they are all pointy looking. Then I let my hair dry for awhile. When it is damp I use my wide tooth pick, and very gently go through my hair from bottom to top in order to detangle. I continue doing this about ever 5-10 minutes until it is dry. Once it is dry I use my BBB to smooth down the cuticle and spread my natural sebum down my hair. Honestly my BBB has been the best for smoothing my hair, and giving it a less greasy appearance. I CWC or CW every other or ever third day using this method. If I want to stretch it further I will add a vinegar rinse on on of my CWC or CW days instead of my light Aubrey Organics shampoo. HTH :)

bumblebums
March 16th, 2011, 05:48 AM
What are you washing with? Perhaps it's time to try CO.

virgo75
March 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I have this same problem.

Have you tried using a spray leave-in?

I used to use oils and heavier lotion, cream, or butter types of leave-ins because my hair is curly and dry. But this would just make my hair coated and stuck together. :(

Lately I've been using Aveeno's Nourish & Condition spray leave-in and it's working perfect! :D My hair isn't weighed down, tangled, coated, gummy, oily, or stuck together. It's just moisturized. :cheese:

Also I can add a drop of oil afterwards and it's fine. I used to try to use oils and butters as a leave-in but they didn't work for that. I would have to add quite a bit to feel any difference but then my hair would be coated, oily, or waxy. I don't really have to add oil either. But I've been having success using a drop of jojoba oil which is a lot lighter than coconut and doesn't look oily or weigh my hair down when I use a little bit. Oh, and the jojoba didn't really help that much by itself. It was ok, but not as good as using it after the spray leave-in.

Best of luck with your hair growth. :)

Vorvolaka
March 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I use it the day after a wash. I still get all of the benefits without the need to wash as regularly.

Rivanariko
March 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM
My hair used to be a grease ball after two or three days without washing. Now it's about two weeks before I notice it getting oily. It takes the scalp a while to realize it doesn't have to over-produce the natural oils.

The think the PP had good advice as far as different things to try. One other thing to keep in mind though is that the whole point of this growing journey is to ENJOY your hair. Experiment with stretching washes, give it a good go, at bare minimum the two week rule, though I'd recommend more like a month. If you hate what it does to your hair though, then wash every day. There are many things far worse that you can do. Try experimenting with a hybrid wash or CWC if CO doesn't work out for you (it didn't for me) which will be less drying and damaging to the length, only using shampoo on your scalp.

There are several members on here who wash ever day, and I don't think most of them feel the least bit guilty about it. It's about finding the best routine that works for YOU. Enjoy your hair!

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have a greasy scalp and fluffy lengths - trying to work out what the cause is as I know overwashing has helped damage my hair. :( I also have sensitive skin so the option of harsh chemicals or daily washing is not attractive. I learned with my face to be gentle.

Have you clarified? Have you tried the ice cold rinse to clear your sebaceous glands of oil? Have you tried a mild sulphate free shampoo? Have you tried dry shampoo on your roots? Have you tried conditioner only washing? Have you tried the coconut oil shampoo method? Have you tried a scalp wash, keeping your lengths dry or coating them in conditioner/ oil? :)

Chiara
March 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I find I can use coconut oil as a deep treatment, but not as a regular thing, it just makes my hair too greasy and it wicks up, even if I just use it below the ears. So I use a tiny amount of a thick leave in conditioner on my hair after I've washed it, from the ears down, and this has been working well. I don't put any conditioner on my hair above the ears.

Luna12345
March 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
What are you washing with? Perhaps it's time to try CO.

I've tried co for a few months in the past, it didn't work well for me.

Luna12345
March 18th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Thankyou all for your replies, i will try out some of the diffierent oils and washing methods some of you have mentioned and hopefully I will get good results.

GrowingGlory
March 18th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Have you tried Miracle Water? I tried it for the first time tonight and was very pleased by the results. It is inexpensive, easily prepared and the ingredients are readily available online.