PDA

View Full Version : feel like giving up, motivation please?

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I did a lot of things to protect my hair and help it get stronger, but now im finding these splits and dry damaged look. No matter how my times i conditioned it, used castor oil, mayo treatment, used biotin, gently combed it, put it up in updos, its just drier at the end and then it splits. I don't understand, i even did S&D on saturday and now i found even more splits. Im so confused, all my hard work and its only been since Jan 28 since i got my last big trim :( My friends told me how split it looks and that it looks dead and dry at the ends.
Thanks a lot braids and buns. -_-
Anyone out there willing to help a poor frustrated soul? It'd be extremely appreciated.

enfys
March 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
How much had you done to your hair before this? What has it gone through? Fixing it takes longer than the damage took in the first place. Biotin especially, and castor oil if scalp applied aren't going to fix the ends. Nothing is. Those two are to help the new growth.

Damaged hair can be salvaged, but not repaired. Keep up the care and accept that it takes time. I'm sure you see a lot of inspiration here, but it takes years to get there. I konw, it stinks. All you can do is keep on keeping on and trim off the old hair as you go. Patience is the only thing almost guaranteed to get you there in the end. Especially terminal!

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
How much had you done to your hair before this? What has it gone through? Fixing it takes longer than the damage took in the first place. Biotin especially, and castor oil if scalp applied aren't going to fix the ends. Nothing is. Those two are to help the new growth.

Damaged hair can be salvaged, but not repaired. Keep up the care and accept that it takes time. I'm sure you see a lot of inspiration here, but it takes years to get there. I konw, it stinks. All you can do is keep on keeping on and trim off the old hair as you go. Patience is the only thing almost guaranteed to get you there in the end. Especially terminal!
I started since mid November, the whole shabam in mid Jan. It's gone through just bein down all the time, tons of gel and hairsray from the marhcing events we had every week, and a whole year of JROTC meant tight ponytails with loads of gel and hairspray. Never used conditioner until now. I had them braided with extensions in october for two weeks which ruined my hair and had to remove 2 inches in total of hair.
Thank you!! Ill just keep on trimming those darn splits and damaged looking hair. I'm usually UNusually patient with everything but when it comes to way i look O.o well this is a good way to teach myself more patience :) mahalo!
And i just realized with yuo saying the hair will grow and just cut off the damage...of course! Why did i forget that.

krissykins
March 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, your hard work will pay off later rather than sooner, but nothing will fix split ends. You just have to chop them off!

I find that any updo that shields my ends from the outside world protects better than ones where my ends are loose. But then again, I'm just not a fan of braids :p

Allychan
March 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Are you using Coconut oil? My hair felt like straw on the ends and I found the coconut oil made it feel unbelievably soft and it tangled less. I have very fine hair and use only a smidge each morning after a shower or on the ends when I castor oil it overnight

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, your hard work will pay off later rather than sooner, but nothing will fix split ends. You just have to chop them off!

I find that any updo that shields my ends from the outside world protects better than ones where my ends are loose. But then again, I'm just not a fan of braids :p

Alrite, im going to take off 1/4 or so of the ends on friday, jus tot remove breakage and splits that are starting to form.
Yes, i found that was true too, but it's what i've been doing. I braided down for one week only because i didn't like my ends down brushing against my clothes and stuff. Buns are good but i just didnt want to keep my hair in the same hairstyle for a long time you know?

enfys
March 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Over a year's worth of damage can't be fixed in a few months. I know most things can, but i think the best analogy would probably be weight loss. It takes time to gain the weight (hair damage), you realise it's not what you want after it sneaks up on you and you want a quick fix (pills, treatments, etc) but the best thing to get and maintain a healthy weight (healthy hair) is to go slow and make permanent lifestyle changes.

You don't have health problems holding you back, you have a finite amount of damage -when it's gone it's gone. Off you go! You can get there!

Deborah
March 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
You may need a good trim to get rid of some of those bad ends. As has been mentioned, you cannot repair the damage.

Growing long hair is a long term deal. If your hair is severely damaged, you can condition, etc., to help it look its best, but you cannot heal it. As the new hair grows in, keep trimming off the damaged part, and you will eventually have a head of beautiful, healthy hair. Then you can grow it as long as you like. :)

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Are you using Coconut oil? My hair felt like straw on the ends and I found the coconut oil made it feel unbelievably soft and it tangled less. I have very fine hair and use only a smidge each morning after a shower or on the ends when I castor oil it overnight
Actually no, its next on my list to get. That's exactly how my hair feels on certain ends. I feel like not all my hair feels like that on the ends, but its more noticeable now. Better treat it before it spreads and try coconut later! Thanks! :D

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Over a year's worth of damage can't be fixed in a few months. I know most things can, but i think the best analogy would probably be weight loss. It takes time to gain the weight (hair damage), you realise it's not what you want after it sneaks up on you and you want a quick fix (pills, treatments, etc) but the best thing to get and maintain a healthy weight (healthy hair) is to go slow and make permanent lifestyle changes.

You don't have health problems holding you back, you have a finite amount of damage -when it's gone it's gone. Off you go! You can get there!

..jaja might i also add it was every year with marching band and never taking care of my hair? :p Will do, i love your analogy!! Will do, i will be patient like the slow turtle and take my time :)

Amraann
March 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I did a lot of things to protect my hair and help it get stronger, but now im finding these splits and dry damaged look. No matter how my times i conditioned it, used castor oil, mayo treatment, used biotin, gently combed it, put it up in updos, its just drier at the end and then it splits. I don't understand, i even did S&D on saturday and now i found even more splits. Im so confused, all my hard work and its only been since Jan 28 since i got my last big trim :( My friends told me how split it looks and that it looks dead and dry at the ends.
Thanks a lot braids and buns. -_-
Anyone out there willing to help a poor frustrated soul? It'd be extremely appreciated.

An S&D is not going to rid you of all splits.
Like you said it has only been since January.
Forget what your friends say. Maybe what your using is not working?

Your not specific in your conditioner or shampoo?
I think first you need to look at your routine. Maybe what your doing is not working for your hair type?
Then you can slowly start trying other things that may work.

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
You may need a good trim to get rid of some of those bad ends. As has been mentioned, you cannot repair the damage.

Growing long hair is a long term deal. If your hair is severely damaged, you can condition, etc., to help it look its best, but you cannot heal it. As the new hair grows in, keep trimming off the damaged part, and you will eventually have a head of beautiful, healthy hair. Then you can grow it as long as you like. :)
Ahh yes. Well it's not all damaged, i know it's not because it feels soft and smooth but about and inch from the end it's just getting crackly and dry, even if i used stuff to help. Helps for the one day i use it. Thank you!!!

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
An S&D is not going to rid you of all splits.
Like you said it has only been since January.
Forget what your friends say. Maybe what your using is not working?

Your not specific in your conditioner or shampoo?
I think first you need to look at your routine. Maybe what your doing is not working for your hair type?
Then you can slowly start trying other things that may work.

Shampoo and conditioner i bought at Sally's
Nutri-ox system for thinning and fine hair shampoo
Biotera moisturizing reconstructing conditioner.
I also started using this serum thing but i want to leave it because it worked the first few times, and when i use it on dry hair, it gave me breakage and now i feel like it's not really protecting anymore.
I shampoo and condition same day every 3 days now.

spidermom
March 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM
One thing I've had to accept is that hair is not perfect. The only way I could prevent it drying out and getting split ends, I think, would be to put it under glass in a darkened room. But I can't; my hair has to go where I go and do what I do, and it gets damaged. My skin does, too.

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
One thing I've had to accept is that hair is not perfect. The only way I could prevent it drying out and getting split ends, I think, would be to put it under glass in a darkened room. But I can't; my hair has to go where I go and do what I do, and it gets damaged. My skin does, too.

Oh yea huh....I had this mentality that if i do all these things that i see these people with super long hair on LHC and do what they do to protect their hair, my hair wouldn't get damaged much...but now im realizing we have, um, almost everything different? I certainly am outside more so this might add into the drying.
But we can dream spidermom! Maybe weaves might be worth the shot..? Jaja just kidding, no more fake hair for me.

ravenreed
March 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Make sure you are not causing more splits by using a bad pair of scissors. Only do S & D's with scissors that you use just for hair. Also, anything you are doing now is going to make your hair stronger in the long run. I didn't notice a huge difference in my hair right after joining LHC. However, my hair is in better shape now than it ever has been. It took some months of playing around with different routines and being more careful with how I treat my hair, and a long time of trimming away some dry ends. Hang in there!

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Make sure you are not causing more splits by using a bad pair of scissors. Only do S & D's with scissors that you use just for hair. Also, anything you are doing now is going to make your hair stronger in the long run. I didn't notice a huge difference in my hair right after joining LHC. However, my hair is in better shape now than it ever has been. It took some months of playing around with different routines and being more careful with how I treat my hair, and a long time of trimming away some dry ends. Hang in there!

Alrite raven, hanging in there, hanging in there! This boy will not quit.
Im thinking of keep the scissors i bought fresh and new, my old ones im really unsure of! Too old to know if they are really dull or not. Thank you!!

krissykins
March 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM
As for not wearing the same updo every day, there are many varities of buns, as well as knots, twist, etc. I don't know how many you'd be comfortable wearing since many are rather feminine, but here's the link to the Hair Style Dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/filter.php?ax=o).

You could even combine the braid and bun to make a braided bun! I know Gumball has one in his siggy, and he is also a male LHCer :D

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
As for not wearing the same updo every day, there are many varities of buns, as well as knots, twist, etc. I don't know how many you'd be comfortable wearing since many are rather feminine, but here's the link to the Hair Style Dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/filter.php?ax=o).

You could even combine the braid and bun to make a braided bun! I know Gumball has one in his siggy, and he is also a male LHCer :D

Ohhhh thank you so much!!! :D:D:D I've been eager to learn new updo's! I barely know any that i could just put up fast in the morning, rushing to get to school on time. Well, i guess i could just change them up a little bit if i felt if they were too girly, im actually quite fond of the Hawser braid and the braid bun! :D Easy and light on my scalp, plus the look is complex. Thank you!

jeanniet
March 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
If your hair was damaged all over, then you may have to wait until it's all grown out (with frequent trims) before you see a big difference. Using coconut oil, etc. is great, but it's more effective at keeping healthy hair in good shape--it can't repair split ends. So be patient, keep trimming, and eventually you'll see results.

Amraann
March 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Shampoo and conditioner i bought at Sally's
Nutri-ox system for thinning and fine hair shampoo
Biotera moisturizing reconstructing conditioner.
I also started using this serum thing but i want to leave it because it worked the first few times, and when i use it on dry hair, it gave me breakage and now i feel like it's not really protecting anymore.
I shampoo and condition same day every 3 days now.

Well it sounds like the serum needs to be nixed.
Also I would be careful with anything that says "reconstructing"
Often that means cones or something that makes your hair look healthy but is just drying and damaging it.

Maybe go back to some basics? Like Suave Cherry Blossom poo and conditioner?
Or even mix some suave condit with some water in a spray bottle and use that as a leave in for extra moisture on your ends.

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
If your hair was damaged all over, then you may have to wait until it's all grown out (with frequent trims) before you see a big difference. Using coconut oil, etc. is great, but it's more effective at keeping healthy hair in good shape--it can't repair split ends. So be patient, keep trimming, and eventually you'll see results.

thank you :D Will do. Coconut oil-must buy

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Well it sounds like the serum needs to be nixed.
Also I would be careful with anything that says "reconstructing"
Often that means cones or something that makes your hair look healthy but is just drying and damaging it.

Maybe go back to some basics? Like Suave Cherry Blossom poo and conditioner?
Or even mix some suave condit with some water in a spray bottle and use that as a leave in for extra moisture on your ends.

Oh really? I had no idea about the cones...but i havent found any in it. Unless it's Benzophenone-4, the other two that end in -one.
Mm i actually used Garnier Lengths and Strength since 4th grade until this year because i saw it wasn't working anymore and my hair was getting tangled and super dry and rough, im pretty sure that my new hair has replaced most of the growth. Maybe this is the smaller patches of old damaged growth growing down and finally splitting?

Slinks
March 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
And i just realized with yuo saying the hair will grow and just cut off the damage...of course! Why did i forget that.

lol, too funny .. hang in there

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM
lol, too funny .. hang in there

The thing's we do and think when we aren't being patient and trying something out.
All the basics fly right out the window!

torrilin
March 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Something to keep in mind is Pomona (like every other part of LA) is in the desert. It would not be unusual for your water to be pretty hard, so you may have mineral build up. (that said, when I lived in West LA, it was pretty rare for my pots and pans to have mineral build up)

The -one ending indicates that a chemical compound contains silicon in a very particular way. That compound group tends to get called "cones" here, but if you're looking to learn about the chemistry, it'd be silicones. These kinds of compounds will often cause build up as well. If you're inclined to use a serum, you probably want to use a very small amount and to make sure that it gets washed off regularly.

Coconut oil can't absorb very well if your hair is coated in various sorts of build up, and it can actually make your hair feel *worse* if there's build up. Other oils are a lot more forgiving. Oils in general serve the same kind of function as your serum, so I'm not really sure it would make sense to use both. Both are meant to smooth your hair, add slip, and ease detangling.

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have found it really helpful to analyse what I have been using on my hair (and what I have not been using :rolleyes: ), also to take an honest look at the lengths to see what is salvageable and what is not worth the effort. I found cones in everything, no oils or creamy ingredients to speak of!! For you it might be that all your reconstructing products contain drying protein. I'm not quitting cones but I need to redress the balance which means clarifying and hot oil treatments. And I will be sacrificing the velcro ends otherwise I will focus on those and not the shiny hair at the top. :D

krissykins
March 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I agree with analyzing the products you put on your hair. Cones could be drying your hair out. This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) has a list of different cones at the bottom.

Your products might have protein as well. If the ingredients say any of these, then it has protein, which some hair hates:
silk protein
soy protein
hydrolized wheat protein
silk amino acids (or any kind of amino acids)

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Something to keep in mind is Pomona (like every other part of LA) is in the desert. It would not be unusual for your water to be pretty hard, so you may have mineral build up. (that said, when I lived in West LA, it was pretty rare for my pots and pans to have mineral build up)

The -one ending indicates that a chemical compound contains silicon in a very particular way. That compound group tends to get called "cones" here, but if you're looking to learn about the chemistry, it'd be silicones. These kinds of compounds will often cause build up as well. If you're inclined to use a serum, you probably want to use a very small amount and to make sure that it gets washed off regularly.

Coconut oil can't absorb very well if your hair is coated in various sorts of build up, and it can actually make your hair feel *worse* if there's build up. Other oils are a lot more forgiving. Oils in general serve the same kind of function as your serum, so I'm not really sure it would make sense to use both. Both are meant to smooth your hair, add slip, and ease detangling.

Yes, i have realized the water here is actually quite hard! It has really contributed to my mothers hair loss, she claims the water in Pasadena though wasn't bad for her hair. I'm starting to think the water has really affected my own hair, i used to live in Pasadena and it was fine there. Im not going to use the serum anymore, it has few of those ingredients Krissy posted!(AHA! no wonder my hair was reacting differently!) And yes, my mother actually tried coconut oil here and said it made her hair "crispy", though i've gotten so many reactions from other people everywhere that it works nicely.
I think i have my mothers sensitive scalp and hair then, it makes complete sense (seeing i am the male clone of her)
thank you!!

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I have found it really helpful to analyse what I have been using on my hair (and what I have not been using :rolleyes: ), also to take an honest look at the lengths to see what is salvageable and what is not worth the effort. I found cones in everything, no oils or creamy ingredients to speak of!! For you it might be that all your reconstructing products contain drying protein. I'm not quitting cones but I need to redress the balance which means clarifying and hot oil treatments. And I will be sacrificing the velcro ends otherwise I will focus on those and not the shiny hair at the top. :D

I will use what you do-ANALYZE. Never focussed on much there, my mistake. My hairdresser took off what i told to her take off after she told me what was needed to remove the damage i had. She mentioned i MIGHT have to continue it every 3-4 months until i finally have no more left.

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I agree with analyzing the products you put on your hair. Cones could be drying your hair out. This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) has a list of different cones at the bottom.

Your products might have protein as well. If the ingredients say any of these, then it has protein, which some hair hates:
silk protein
soy protein
hydrolized wheat protein

I FOUND THEM!! in the mexican serum thing. It was fine at first, but now it's not taking it very well, im going to stop it.
Fortunately, that's the only one. My shampoo and reconsctructing conditioner don't have any of the things mentioned, maybe one cone? My friend asked his sister(who's in cosmetology school and learning to be a profesionall in hair) mentioned he could get me another conditioner because he thought it probably was that, especially since it's a reconstructing one. I will let you guys know what it is and i will check the ingredients :)

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM

silk protein
soy protein
hydrolized wheat protein

Im assuming this has the proteins
terroir natto silky pack
I can't find much information, im going to ask for the ingredients from him or read the bottle before buying.

Calaelen
March 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I think you may be doing too much to your hair. When I read what you were doing to try to help it, I was thinking, that would be too much for my hair, especially the castor oil, and the mayo. Castor oil can be very drying to hair, and can cause that crispy feeling you're mentioning. It is not an oil that reacts well with many hair types. Also Mayo has things in it that can be drying your hair, lemon juice and olive oil to mention a couple. Also more protein.

I think it would be beneficial for you to use a good clarifying shampoo for a couple of washes to get some of the possible build up off, then work on babying your hair in more simple ways. no combing when wet, being gentle as you can with it, and using moisturizing products that don't contain much or any protein to see if that helps. knowing your hair type and looking for people with similar or same hair type can be helpful, you can try what they use. Also get to know what works and what doesn't. Many things that people swear by, like olive oil, or honey for example, which can be miracle products for some, are awful for my hair, making it crunchy, dry, and listless.

krissykins
March 17th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Im assuming this has the proteins
terroir natto silky pack
I can't find much information, im going to ask for the ingredients from him or read the bottle before buying.

Definitely read the bottle before buying it.

I think that with the serum, your hair was glad to have the protein at first, but it could just be protein overload. It will definitely be better if you avoid using products with protein every day. You could try using protein-y products about once a month for a little treat. My hair used to LOVE protein, but now it only needs it every once in awhile since it's in a healthier place.

Firefox7275
March 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I will use what you do-ANALYZE. Never focussed on much there, my mistake. My hairdresser took off what i told to her take off after she told me what was needed to remove the damage i had. She mentioned i MIGHT have to continue it every 3-4 months until i finally have no more left.

My mistakes have gone on for quite a while, I just found out there is peroxide in my hair dye after ... eight years. :p I should know better, having a biology background. The important thing is that you have identified a problem, located a source of knowledge and are taking responses on board. :) Look forward to you posting with positive results!

gthlvrmx
March 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I think you may be doing too much to your hair. When I read what you were doing to try to help it, I was thinking, that would be too much for my hair, especially the castor oil, and the mayo. Castor oil can be very drying to hair, and can cause that crispy feeling you're mentioning. It is not an oil that reacts well with many hair types. Also Mayo has things in it that can be drying your hair, lemon juice and olive oil to mention a couple. Also more protein.

I think it would be beneficial for you to use a good clarifying shampoo for a couple of washes to get some of the possible build up off, then work on babying your hair in more simple ways. no combing when wet, being gentle as you can with it, and using moisturizing products that don't contain much or any protein to see if that helps. knowing your hair type and looking for people with similar or same hair type can be helpful, you can try what they use. Also get to know what works and what doesn't. Many things that people swear by, like olive oil, or honey for example, which can be miracle products for some, are awful for my hair, making it crunchy, dry, and listless.

Ahhh yes. Lord, it will take a while before i find people with my hair type. I think we're close :) I use a deep conditioner once and it seems like my hair will not like it after a few times, not even once every two weeks. Thank!

gthlvrmx
March 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Definitely read the bottle before buying it.

I think that with the serum, your hair was glad to have the protein at first, but it could just be protein overload. It will definitely be better if you avoid using products with protein every day. You could try using protein-y products about once a month for a little treat. My hair used to LOVE protein, but now it only needs it every once in awhile since it's in a healthier place.

Yes i think so too :p I was just so worried ever since it got so dry and damaged, i went crazy looking for stuff to do to help it. I'll stop applying so much now and let it let me know when it's time for something. Thank you!!