PDA

View Full Version : A Hair Disaster....

Yippeeskippee
March 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I was needing a change... or so I thought.

I thought changing the color would be good. My DH said he thought making it lighter would be nice. But I checked all of the boxes of hair color and they all had bleaching agents in them. So I thought "No way am I bleaching my hair." So I decided to go darker and put some red in since I already had the natural red highlights.

I bought a box that said Auburn brown. And the picture on the box was really pretty. Well once I put it in and washed out the excess.... I had Dark Purple hair! I was in shock!

The next day when my DH got home he looked at my hair and said I looked like Barney. My 7 year old son said that he though maybe my hair was a little more purple than it should be. My 9 year daughter thought it was beautiful and said my hair looked like violets.

My husband said why don't you just go to a salon and have them fix it. I was desperate not to be purple so I said ok and off I went. The stylist decided that bleaching it would be the answer! She didn't even do all of my hair... She left out some of the purple....

So I went from being a Brunette to a Purple and thanks to the salon I am now Purple, Blonde, and Coppery-red! And thanks to the bleach my hair is more frizzy than before and it isn't nearly as soft...

It all just makes me sick. I cried a lot of Saturday when it all happened.

Any suggestions on how to help my hair?

I have been putting Olive Oil on it at night and braiding and that has helped some.

I wish I could fix the color but I have a feeling that I am going to just have to wait for it to all grow out and then cut it off and start over with good hair....

Culdayne
March 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I am really surprised that she didn't try to lift the color without bleaching? If it was a box color, she should have lifted it with a product like Color fix. That would have been so much less damaging. It would have left your hair a light copper color, and then it could be colored again after that. Actually, some people end up liking that color, you may have been fine with just that. :(

What explanation did she give when all was done? That just sounds horrible, and I would contact the salon owner.

Yippeeskippee
March 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
The stylist said that that was the only real way to really get it out. She said that I would need to come back in a month to do the rest. She said if she had done it all at once it would have totally fried my hair instead of just partially...

Firefox7275
March 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
The stylist said that that was the only real way to really get it out. She said that I would need to come back in a month to do the rest. She said if she had done it all at once it would have totally fried my hair instead of just partially...

:( Sorry to hear this has happened to you - did you do a strand test or did the salon? Bleaching it all at once probably would have fried it, but that doesn't account for why she didn't try/ recommend a colour remover first. I agree with the others, go back and ask awkward questions of the salon manager or owner. You *may* have had to bleach after the colour remover, but it would haven't been so much.

error
March 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Aww I had done the same thing years ago I wanted a change so bad and I found that exact auburn hair dye , looked so pretty and yes purple , but I ended up being so happy with the color , I loved the purple! Lol my problem with it was after about four washes it would dull to red , the hair professional should have known this , you could have probably just put a ton of over night olive oil treatments then clarified it out of your hair . I am so sorry this has happened , continue with the oiling and maybe pick up coconut oil as a leave in to keep it hydrated .Give your hair time to settle , the more you chemically treat it the more damaged it will be. Good luck :<

Lynda
March 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I am really surprised that she didn't try to lift the color without bleaching? If it was a box color, she should have lifted it with a product like Color fix. That would have been so much less damaging. It would have left your hair a light copper color, and then it could be colored again after that. Actually, some people end up liking that color, you may have been fine with just that. :(

What explanation did she give when all was done? That just sounds horrible, and I would contact the salon owner.

COLORFIX!! This stuff is the bomb.

Try not to do it now, though. Reds fade notoriously, so oil oil oil and condition for a while. Yellow is the opposite of purple, if you have some really bad sections that you can isolate and color.

Did you use Perfect 10, or Feria? Just curious.

What the stylist did makes no sense, and her story makes no sense, either.

firicia
March 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
so sorry to hear that. I hope that things get better for you, maybe try some coconut oil it's really wonderful stuff.

Slinks
March 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
UCK !! I have to add my sympathies .. goes to say that not all hair salon-ist know what they're talking about .. oil, oil, oil and trim as it grows ..

ah I can edit too now :-) first my siggy then an edit button awesome !! anyway wanted to add that I bought some argon oil yesterday that I found every-one raving about, it's really worth raving about if you don't have any of that .. next on my to get list will have to be the coconut oil ..

Kathie
March 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
The colors will fade and your hair will recover too with time :flower:

spidermom
March 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Colors do fade; too bad you didn't hold off on trying to correct the first color. It might have faded to something you liked better after a couple of weeks.

There are deposit-only colors that don't do much damage. In fact, stuff like Manic Panic is wonderfully conditioning. I like to put the red-violet on my hair (have done once so far, will do again); it gradually fades out over 3-4 months. Of course most of them are fantasy colors, so if you didn't like the purple (sounds awesome to me), you probably won't like them. But Elumen makes natural deposit-only colors. I'm sure there are other brands, too.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
i'm sorry to hear that:flowers:, been there. i would do lots of deep conditioning (SMTs, Fox's moisture treatment, avocado) to try and restore some of your softness. it does grow back :)

LadyG
March 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I bleached the old dye out of my hair a few weeks ago. And my hair felt and looked like straw. I bought Hask Placenta in the "large" bottle and soaked my hair in it for 30 minutes not the 10 they suggested. Then I used my regular conditioner right afterwards. My hair felt much better, but not normal. I repeated this again this weekend and my hair finally feels normal. Give it a try, all you will lose is some money (about $5.00), it won't affect your hair color at all.

UltraBella
March 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM
If you would have come to my salon I would have told you to WAIT. A clarifying shampoo to use over the next two weeks and some deep oilings may have fixed your problem. If not, I would have suggested toning the purple undertone with a Demi color.
Bleaching can work, I have done it successfully on my own hair with great results, but AFTER I tried all the gentle options first. And a strand test is essential. My hair seems to be indestructible, most people are not this lucky.
I think the processing your hair was put through was likely unnecessary. I am sorry you have experienced this. I wish you would have had a bit more patience to see if it would have faded, but it's too late now. Baby it and give it some time before you try anything else with it.
P.S. I think what your daughter said about your hair was so sweet !