PDA

View Full Version : Length Tips

Gwen
March 15th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Hi there,

I was just wondering if any of you had some tips for growing out hair. I made the mistake of chopping my hair to my collar bone. I thought I could get used to the 'shortness' but I can't, and I want my long hair back.

I'm not sure what type of info you need to help me out... But I have bleach blonde hair, and it's thin.

Thanks in advance! :)

Gwen

NouvelleNymphe2
March 15th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Welcome :flower:. The articles section is the best place to start. Here are several I found very useful when I first joined the LHC a few months ago. HTH

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

selderon
March 15th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Don't cut it.

It sounds silly, but that's the main thing. NouvelleNymph has given you some excellent places to start. :)

spidermom
March 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
What you will need the most of is patience, lots and lots of it.
Also the ability to put your hair up (to protect it from damage) and forget it.

The more you obsess, the slower it seems to grow.

Gwen
March 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the tips! They're great!

I won't be cutting my hair any shorter than what I have now. I know it'll be difficult to try and grow it with bleach blonde colour. But I'm going to try not to get any colour touch ups (roots) for a while and hopefully that will help.

Gwen.

spidermom
March 15th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I've read here that generously applying coconut oil before a color service (including bleaching) really helps to minimize the damage. (but I have no personal experience with this)

McFearless
March 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
1. You have to accept your hair is going to take a while to grow out. Don't give into impulses. No cuts out of frustration or dyes out of boredom.

2. A balanced diet rich in protein.

3. Lots of exercise. Good for the body and increased blood flow to the scalp.

4. You could look into monistat. Lots of us on here, me included use it to make our hair grow faster. It works. Here is the monistat thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156 Other members use castor oil and various other oils in scalp massages and have reported good results.

5. Quiting heat and dye until your hair bounces back is recommended but not 100% neccessary. Fine haired people usually get lots of breakage and damage from both heat and dyes.

Avital88
March 17th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Proteines and no dye and heatstyling for as long as possible. You can start with 3 months, you will see a huge difference already.
What worked really good for me was eating flagseed oil mixed in yoghurt everyday, B vitamins and silica.
Good luck and happy growing

Firefox7275
March 17th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Please don't take advice on nutrition from strangers unless you are confident they are suitably qualified. Your body cannot utilise more than a certain amount of pure protein each day (~2g per kg bodyweight), and it is not always safe to supplement individual nutrients.

Gwen
March 17th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Thank you thank you so much for all your tips. I have read the 'Monistat' thread and 'Caster Oil' thread. If I was to use the caster oil, I'd probably mix it with EVOO, but I'm afraid it may darken my hair. Therefore... I think the monistat is my best bet. I'm currently trying to change my hair routine. Last night I CO, Shampoo'd & conditioner with FAST, then used Moroccan Oils Rejuvenating Hair Mask (left that on for about 5 minutes while I did other things). When I got out of the shower I used Aveeno leave-in conditioner (my hair is very dry, so I condition a lot).

Before I went to bed I spritzed a bit more leave-in in my hair. I'll do that for now, until I find one that doesn't make my hair feel coated and sticky :(.

As for vitamins, I slowly started taking them. I began with GNC's Hair\Skin\Nails for about 2 weeks and I was ok, so I added a silica vitamin just the other day. So far I feel ok. I'm fairly tiny so I am very aware of the amounts of things I put in my body because they affect me very easily.

Gwen

Katze
March 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the tips! They're great!

I won't be cutting my hair any shorter than what I have now. I know it'll be difficult to try and grow it with bleach blonde colour. But I'm going to try not to get any colour touch ups (roots) for a while and hopefully that will help.

Gwen.

Hi Gwen, I am a former 'thin' haired, former bleached blonde who now has long hair for the first time in my life. Fine hair needs extra care to grow long, and IMO that means NO bleach (or very careful/expensive professional application...!)

Regular SMTs really helped me at the beginning, as did 'stretching' my washes so that I could see what my hair felt like when it was 'dirty' - I learned that my hair was often too dry before, and that really helped me take better care of my hair. I do wash more often now.

There are a lot of fine haired people here who have successfully grown long (I am not one of them yet, as I am trimming to BSL) so hopefully you can find things that help you.

Good luck!

PS Fine hair is NOT thin hair, and ' ii ' thickness is NOT thin, either. I used to think (and stylists told me) that my hair is thin, but it isn't, and better care/nutrition has helped it get quite thick!