PDA

View Full Version : Non-SLS Shampoos...

Fingolphin
March 14th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Personally, I try not to use shampoos that contain SLS's. From the vast experience of everyone here combined: what are some good non-SLS shampoos? I'm looking for something different yet still gentle that still cleanses fairly well. What has worked for you? What are your favorites?

tinywife
March 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
The only kind I've tried is L'Oreal's EverSleek, and I love it. My hair is soft as a dream. I get it from Walgreens. Wal-Mart (at least where I live) doesn't carry any non-SLS shampoo that's also cone-free, which is what I wanted.

tsenglish@ns.sy
March 14th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I like Moroccanoil shampoo and Pureology Hydrate (purple bottle) the best.

dmitri
March 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The only ones I have tried so far are in the Organix brand (I bought it at Wal-mart). I've tried the Teatree Mint, and the Pomegranate Green Tea. Both were good. I was wanting to try out the Shea Butter, since i thong it would have less of a fragrance, but... I haven't been able to find it. I can't remember Wal-mart's price, but the list price on Amazon is $6.99.

I recently bought a bottle of Simply U Moisturizing and Smoothing to try out when I run out of my Organix Pomegranate Green Tea (which will be soon). All I can say so far is that it is cheaper than Organix (I paid $3.74 at Wal-mart), and it smells like citrus (maybe grapefruit?). I'll likely post something when I get around to trying it.

If only conditioners came with "Silicone Free!" printed on the labels like these shampoos boast of their lack of sulfates and parabens. It would make shopping so much easier.

Kathie
March 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I’ve tried CV shampoo bars and a body shop SLS free shampoo... the shine one I think. I like them both but I like the CV bars a little more.

littlenvy
March 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I really like Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. :) The tea tree oil is great for my scalp.

Regan
March 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
toadstool soaps shampoo is phenomenal. every time i use it i'm surprised at how soft it manages to make my wet hair without even having used a conditioner yet.

christine1989
March 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
My all time favorite of all of the non SLS shampoos I have tried is the Aubrey Organics white camellia shampoo. It is formulated for dry, coarse hair so may not be the best fit for fine or oily hair but it is an ideal shampoo for me. It cleans yet it is moisturizing enough to use without conditioner. I would highly reccomend it for dry hair.

irishlady
March 14th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I bought a bottle of Kiss My Face's Whenever shampoo when I was in the States. It's absolutely lovely, smells like lemon and lime. It is slightly pricier than other shampoos there, but it lasts a long time so I think it's a bargain.
The ingredients are all natural and it's not tested on animals which is important to me :D
They have a conditioner to go with it as well.
You can find it in most supermarkets there or online.

Nature's Gate is another brand I saw there that doesn't contain SLS either, and it's cheap, you can find it in Walmart.

You could also try those shampoo bars that I've seen people suggest on here, I think they're called CVS bars or something.

Hope this helps :)

Fingolphin
March 15th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies and ideas! Any others?

Nae
March 15th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Well, Burt's Bees has some and I do believe that Say Yes to Carrots/Cucumbers! are both sulfate free.

WickedLady
March 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
this site has some pretty good stuff i bout some about 6 months ago and i sitll have some left.

http://www.jessicurl.com/

Chiara
March 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I use A'lchemy mandarin shampoo, which is lovely, and sulfate free. I think its branded A'kin in the US.

WickedLady
June 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I like Moroccanoil shampoo and Pureology Hydrate (purple bottle) the best.

arent these expensive for teh amount?

littlenvy
June 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I really like Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. :) The tea tree oil is great for my scalp.
I take it back!!!
It turns out I'm allergic to this one. I'm thinking its the eucalyptus oil that did it. If felt good for the first while and then my skin started to get red and itchy.
It was a good thing I didn't use it all that often and was able to figure out it was the shampoo that was giving me the allergy.

battles
June 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I use the Nature's Gate Lemongrass and Clary Sage Volumizing Shampoo for fine hair. Whooo that's a long name. But I really like it. :)

Panth
June 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I tried the Body Shop's Moisture one ... but I have to say I didn't like it much. I also hated the conditioner.

Welleda shampoos are really great, though. I've used both the chamomile one and the lemony one, the conditioner too. They were wonderful - I honestly didn't notice any difference between them and Pantene (bearing in mind that my hair likes Pantene!). However, I stopped buying them once they stopped being 2-for-1. They are rather expensive.

vanillabones
June 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
EO Rosemary and Mint Volumizing Shampoo... says right on it SLS-free ... it is clear, lathers very well, and cleanses very well which sort of surprised me. To say the least I'm very pleased with it :) the smell isn't my favorite, but I'm not really picky. I feel leaving it on my scalp an extra minute really helps it to be clean. My hair used to be so staticy and lots of halo hair but not since using this to shampoo with.

CarpeDM
June 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Do CV shampoo bars count??

faithsdaisy421
June 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I love Giovanni stuff. My hair has been so much healthier since I began using it!

BlazingHeart
June 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I don't have one to recommend as I've only used one brand of SLS-free shampoo and it didn't agree with my hair, but I was looking at The Body Shop ones and I noticed that right now they are buy one get one free for the regular size. Thought it was worth putting up here for fans or people who want to try it cheaper!

|Xei
June 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Pureology Hydrate is a really good one. I used it for over a year until I recently switched over to Avalon Organics grapeseed and olive shampoo (this one is really good as well). The Pureology is expensive, but I got my 1L bottle for $40-$50 during a sale. A little goes a long way, it's very moisturizing (I can go without conditioner when I use this one), and it foams really well too. I still have 1/3 of the bottle left (my mom used up most of it since she uses a lot of shampoo, otherwise I'd probably have more than half of it left).

The Avalon Organics is pretty good as well. It's scentless, and cleanses well, leaving my scalp and hair feeling fresh. It doesn't really foam up well though, so that might take off a few points, depending on your preferences.

luthein
June 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I really like ethnic shampoos -- they lather better than other non-SLS formulations and are incredibly gentle. I also don't need to prewash with them. I used Creme of Nature for years (they reformulated! So distressing!) so I would recommend Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. It's about $8 for 12 ounces and available on Amazon.

meganb990
June 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I use Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo I follow it by a apple cider vinegar rinse it makes my hair really soft and shiny. I also use their Restorative Conditioner as a leave in a little goes a long way.

2peasinapod
June 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I use Burt's Bees. I like the "super shiny" grapefruit one best. :)

Emmental
June 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I'm trying Renpure Organics right now and I'm fairly happy with it, though it's still early.

Hotrox
June 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Another vote for Kiss my Face Whenever shampoo, and Giovanni 50:50 shampoo.

I also like Dr Organic Aloe Vera shampoo, but I think this may only be available in the UK.

Just a note to be careful with the Natures Gate, seems they have been reformulated and some now contain sulphantes :rolleyes:

elbow chic
June 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The only one I've tried yet is the L'oreal one, EverStrong. I really like it, though. It smells so good! sniff sniff!

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Im allergic to SLS, so I avoid SLS shampoo, CO and toothpaste. I have all natural ones... I use Live Clean mostly... A good company/brand for Shampoo and CO. :)